Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zzulu posted:

What are all the other countries up to in the Dredd world? Do they also employ Judges? Are they also mostly wastelands? Does Dredd ever travel to the UK :v:

Most of the world is wasteland but there are Mega-Cities set up basically around where the major cities of the world were before the war. In one of the comics (I am so rusty forgive me Dredd super fans :) ) it's shown that "wars" for land and their remaining resources are fought via the Olympics. So instead of fielding an army corporate/government sponsors field a force of say seven super soldiers vs. the opposing country's small group, each armed with all the most advanced and ruthless prototype weaponry they can come up with.

Offtopic, but I've been playing this new game called Anarchy Reigns. The tone is very silly but the setting is basically less a game and more a Cursed Earths simulator with different gangs outside of the major cities, mutants, etc. Might be worth checking out.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zzulu posted:

What are all the other countries up to in the Dredd world? Do they also employ Judges? Are they also mostly wastelands? Does Dredd ever travel to the UK :v:

I think the Chinese Mega-City is even more overpopulated than Mega-City One, and they have a lot of crime. They also abort female children as much as possible.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mega-City 1 went to war with the remains of the USSR once, which was a soviet Mega-City at one point. They also once had the above mentioned war-lympics against them...in space...on the moon...where Dredd was an old west style Marshall.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Is it ever explained why, of all places, the most densely populated areas are relatively fine but the much emptier areas are all nuclear wastelands? Megacity 1 should be like, Idaho or something really.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Is it ever explained why, of all places, the most densely populated areas are relatively fine but the much emptier areas are all nuclear wastelands? Megacity 1 should be like, Idaho or something really.

Maybe it was like Idaho, in the beginning. It takes time for a city to get densely populated.

Can you believe that at one time we didn't even have a prison on the moon?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Zzulu posted:

Does Dredd ever travel to the UK :v:

Yes. Can't remember why offhand.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Is it ever explained why, of all places, the most densely populated areas are relatively fine but the much emptier areas are all nuclear wastelands?

Yes. In the mid 21st century there was some experimentation with shields against ballistic missiles. They weren't perfect and they used a lot of resources, so they were only used to cover the most populous areas.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I have the Garth Ennis Collection Dredd TPB and there's a couple of stories about an Ireland Mega-City that's pretty much an Irish-themed amusement park. Dredd gets pissed because the judges there are a bunch of drunk goofs

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

TheJoker138 posted:

They also once had the above mentioned war-lympics against them...in space...on the moon...where Dredd was an old west style Marshall.

Please tell me he wore a ten gallon hat on top of his helmet.

Please.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm about halfway through this movie and it's already top 5 comic movies ever. Karl Urban is a flawless Dredd, and I like the actress they got for Anderson. drat shame this movie didn't do well enough to warrant a sequel.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Thulsa Doom posted:

Please tell me he wore a ten gallon hat on top of his helmet.

Please.

Sadly no, but his deputy had one.

EDIT: I got the DVD on release day, and have watched it a couple times already. They did a great job with it, and (as has already been said) Urban is Dredd. I love all the little details they put into it like the fatties, the "drokk" on the guys jacket, and the "no mutties" graffiti. A lot of heart went into this movie. I really liked how Dredd just kind of stares at the hostage until she manages to squeak out a, "Thank you Judge." It gave me the sense that Dredd just kind of see's everyone as a potential perp. Even if they haven't broken The Law yet they probably will one day.

The violence was especially visceral. The first time I watched it I couldn't help but flinch and squirm at it, which I really liked. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that people wouldn't go flying or any other over the top stuff when they got shot. They would just go limp and fall like a sack of potatoes. Another thing about it was the way Dredd would just more or less casually stroll his way through the perps dispensing judgement. It really made him seem more like a force of nature than any kind of person.

Also, "You are so hosed" is probably one of more disturbing moments I've seen in an action movie. It was simple, to the point, and nothing else really needed to be said. You may not know what was waiting for Anderson on the top floor, but you know it's bad.

All in all I give the movie four and a half out of five bullet riddled faces.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 18, 2013

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm about halfway through this movie and it's already top 5 comic movies ever. Karl Urban is a flawless Dredd, and I like the actress they got for Anderson. drat shame this movie didn't do well enough to warrant a sequel.

I'm not entirely sure how they can make a huge jump from this movie to something like Judge Death in the next one, though. This movie seemed somewhat grounded in reality, or what most people are willing to perceive as reality.

I mean, they even use weapons that are a century old (except for the Lawgiver; I want one of those).

quote:

The gun has a maximum range of up to three miles and has six distinct settings:[1]
Standard execution - A standard bullet, with identical effects to normal kinetic energy projectile weapons.
Heat Seeker or Hot Shot - A standard bullet propelled by the unstable element, 'Argon 886'. Heatseeker rounds lock onto the target's heat source, enabling the Judge to target fleeing perps, accurately fire in low-light situations and so forth.
Ricochet - A metal bullet coated with rubber. Ricochet rounds can bounce off solid surfaces while retaining enough kinetic energy to penetrate flesh. This enables the Judge to, for example, kill a perp that is using a human shield, bouncing their shot off a back wall and hitting the target from behind.
Incendiary - Capable of setting its target on fire. Less widely used due to practicalities of incinerating targets in built-up city areas, although useful against unconventional adversaries such as Judge Death.
Armour Piercing - Armour piercing rounds are extremely dense and contain a more powerful charge for higher muzzle velocity. Useful against cybernetic criminals and armoured opponents. When used against human targets, it can travel through multiple targets.
High-Explosive (Hi-Ex) - A round containing an amount of extremely concentrated high explosive. Judges must employ caution when using this extremely dangerous round; the blast caused by the exploding bullets can just as easily harm those firing as well as the target. Generally used rarely; against crowding attackers or large/dangerous foes.

Interestingly, with this additional knowledge, Dredd seems to have made a far more calculated decision in using the hot shot in that early scene than most people probably gave him credit for.

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 18, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Interestingly, with this additional knowledge, Dredd seems to have made a far more calculated decision in using the hot shot in that early scene than most people probably gave him credit for.

I think it's because he didn't use it again in the movie, and they made it seem like in the Dredd movie universe the hot shot is just a signal flare instead of a target seeking round.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jonny Retro posted:

I think it's because he didn't use it again in the movie, and they made it seem like in the Dredd movie universe the hot shot is just a signal flare instead of a target seeking round.

It actually kinda reminded me of The Homer that is used in The Gun in Logan's Run. In concept, not actual use in the movie(s), of course.

On second thought, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for it to be used the way that it was in Dredd... also, why didn't Joe steal the ammo from the first Judge he incapacitated?

VVVV - To be honest, I was secretly hoping that on the BluRay they would have a branching path director's cut version where at random points in the movie you would see quick clips from the other Dredd movie where Stallone takes off his mask, and then a couple quick clips of him putting on his mask. And all at very inappropriate times. They could've been like flashbacks. It's amazing in retrospect how little it would've taken for this movie to have turned into a huge steaming pile.

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 18, 2013

Kindjal
Dec 10, 2003

Time to let go. Follow me.
Rewatching this on Blu Ray, I caught a couple more neat little comic references that haven't been mentioned so far.

At the very beginning, during Dredd's monologue, there's a scrolling news ticker that reads something like like "Judges deploy Sturmm gas in Day 6 of Fergee Memorial Riots." Also, right before the theater lobby ambush, there's a quick shot of a poster for a movie titled "Krysler's Mark: A quest for a child.", which I'm assuming is a direct callback to the Judge Child storyline.

It's amazing just how much effort went into all these little background details that probably go unnoticed 99% of the time.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

etalian posted:

It's another reference to the comics since the Judges use a nastier version of tear gas called Sturmm gas which may or may not have horrible side effects on the perps such as 1/250 death chance.

I think that's actually spelled "stumm gas".

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I wish i hadn't given this to charity on the 90's. The dude was badass.

nimh fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 18, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jonny Retro posted:

It still seems kind of silly to me, but it looked cool and I don't really care. That's literally the worst thing I have to say about Dredd.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Zzulu posted:

Australia is a cool, chill place and the Dredd character there told Dredd to gently caress off for being such a crazy wierdo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alcholism Rocks posted:

On second thought, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for it to be used the way that it was in Dredd... also, why didn't Joe steal the ammo from the first Judge he incapacitated?

He didn't have time. He crushes Chan's throat, and Chan is still on his feet staggering when Lex and Alvarez come round the corner. It takes slightly longer on film, but it's clearly meant to be only seconds between the two scenes.

Re: the hotshot - Dredd shoots the guy with an incendiary, not a heatseeker. In the movie Lawgivers only fire Standard Execution, Incendiary, Hi Ex and Armour Piercing. Dodgems and Heatseekers were always a bit silly so they were taken out, though the nonlethal Stun option was added. (Stun is actually silly a different way - part of the satire of the comic is that Judges don't have a nonlethal option other than shooting to wound - but it's forgivable.) Dredd triggers the first incendiary with "hotshot" and the second with "incendiary" presumably because he's set up custom voice activation phrases so he can change ammunition without perps knowing what he's doing.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

NESguerilla posted:

It still seems kind of silly to me, but it looked cool and I don't really care. That's literally the worst thing I have to say about Dredd.
I just watched it for the first time. I only have one complaint: Lena Headey's voice really got on my nerves; since she would talk at such a low volume I had a lot of trouble understanding what she was saying. (I don't have good hearing.) That's such a minor complaint though that it doesn't really mean much in a film this well done.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Zzulu posted:

There have been so many mega-cities and other settlements added to Dredd's world over time that the population is probably greater than the present day, even after nuclear wars, plagues of zombies, etc. Off the top of my head there's Mega-City One (duh), Mega-City Two (West Coast, nuked, being rebuilt), Texas City, Las Vegas (nuked), East-Megs One (nuked by Dredd) and Two, Brit-Cit, Cal-Hab (Scotland), the Ruhr Conurb (Germany), Hondo City (Japan), Sino-Cit (China; there might be One and Two), Oz (Australia), Ciudad Baranquilla (Central America), Mex-Cit (Mexico), Murphyville (Ireland), Atlantis (under the Atlantic) and Antarctic City, and there are at least a dozen more I can't remember, plus some surviving nation states like Cuba. From what's been shown, Oz is the only one that's even remotely pleasant to live in.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jedit posted:

Re: the hotshot - Dredd shoots the guy with an incendiary, not a heatseeker. In the movie Lawgivers only fire Standard Execution, Incendiary, Hi Ex and Armour Piercing. Dodgems and Heatseekers were always a bit silly so they were taken out, though the nonlethal Stun option was added. (Stun is actually silly a different way - part of the satire of the comic is that Judges don't have a nonlethal option other than shooting to wound - but it's forgivable.) Dredd triggers the first incendiary with "hotshot" and the second with "incendiary" presumably because he's set up custom voice activation phrases so he can change ammunition without perps knowing what he's doing.

I'm not so sure about that. The incendiary used later on seems to be simply white phoshprous while the hotshot in the beginning looks more like a magnesium torch or something similar. Were it the same you'd see huge amounts of smoke billowing out of the guys mouth. I could imagine that hotshot might be something like a small adhesive thermite charge that Judges can use to quickly burn through locks or to permanently disable illegal weapons.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jedit posted:

He didn't have time. He crushes Chan's throat, and Chan is still on his feet staggering when Lex and Alvarez come round the corner. It takes slightly longer on film, but it's clearly meant to be only seconds between the two scenes.

The gun is also seen falling down over the railing during the fight.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Might a potential sequel explore Dredd's rank as an Honorary Stookie?

vv True. Still, as was said before, he was gone before Chan hit the ground.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 18, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The gun is also seen falling down over the railing during the fight.

That wouldn't stop Dredd taking the spare magazines from Chan's belt, as he does with one of the other Judges later.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I hate to bring up the torture scene again because I know it's been a well tread topic in this thread, but I've been thinking about it. The scene immediately before it is the chain gun scene. Re-watching it, the way the chain guns fire and ricochet is very realistic, and really reminds me of helicopter gun cam footage from Iraq and Afghanistan. I don't think that's an accident either. When Dredd's standing in front of the flag in the classroom not long after that he says, "...massacred an entire quadrant of men, women, and children just to kill two Judges. Sound like overkill to you?" So, I don't think it's just that one bit that's "ho-ho America tortures people." I think that the entire segment may be a statement of the War on Terror. Plus, I swear the scene where the crooks run over the guy is a recreation of a video of some PMC's running over a lady in Baghdad.

Another little thing I noticed is when they're in the lady's apartment behind Anderson is another picture that's not really visible until she leaves. It's appears to be of just the baby in the mother's arms, without the father visible, and the lighting is much darker. I thought it was a neat little touch.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Jonny Retro posted:

Another little thing I noticed is when they're in the lady's apartment behind Anderson is another picture that's not really visible until she leaves. It's appears to be of just the baby in the mother's arms, without the father visible, and the lighting is much darker. I thought it was a neat little touch.

That's why I really enjoyed this movie, it has so many of those little touches and is so well put together that it's a crying shame that it's not had the impact it deserves.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I'm not entirely sure how they can make a huge jump from this movie to something like Judge Death in the next one, though. This movie seemed somewhat grounded in reality, or what most people are willing to perceive as reality.

I mean, they even use weapons that are a century old (except for the Lawgiver; I want one of those).

They should drop Judge Death entirely and make the next movie based on Al's Baby.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I'm not entirely sure how they can make a huge jump from this movie to something like Judge Death in the next one, though.

If they base the script on Judge Death and Judge Death Lives it's not such a huge leap. Mostly the first stories parallel existing judge system rather closely, it's only in the later stuff when it starts to get weird.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I kind of feel like that could be a real strength! What usually happens when things get metaphysical in sci fi is that you get a bunch of "chosen one", "the prophecy fortells", metaphysical feelgood crap. For a great example of this look no further than Chronicles of Riddick where Urban plays one of the ludicrously over the top villains. Riddick is literally the chosen one, the "Necromongers" have no real objective other than sort of killing everything and you've got Judy Dench as some kind of weird elemental ghost mystic, foretelling all kinds of stuff.
"Dredd VS Death" could go completely in the other direction with Death's metaphysical threat being completely grounded in the grunge of Megacity One. I mean, the overarching joke is of course that Dredd is trying to literally arrest death. If that's not an interesting metaphorical clash, I don't know what is. They could do just about anything with that!

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Elentor posted:

They should drop Judge Death entirely and make the next movie based on Al's Baby.

Or they could make another movie with Rico, and then (we could) pretend that filthy other version never existed.

:sun:

They could even make a gimmick version for bluray where they ruin their own movie with clips from the first Judge Dredd movie spliced into their movie.

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 18, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Death also spends a lot of time as an incoporeal ghost trying to find a way to break into reality. This would probably be the most "realistic" way to treat him, focusing on someone he's tormenting, using, or possessing. You still get Judge Death, but maybe he's just a manifestation of the guy's psychosis.

Of course the guy would be trying to kill every person in Mega City One because he's complying with the law.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Something with Galen DeMarco would be interesting. Or Judge whatsherface, the best cadet Dredd trained. What was her name?

Actually, the entire Pit storyline would be pretty excellent.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rejutka posted:

Something with Galen DeMarco would be interesting. Or Judge whatsherface, the best cadet Dredd trained. What was her name?

Actually, the entire Pit storyline would be pretty excellent.

Judge America :patriot: Beeny?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 18, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They should just do the Democracy/America storyline and just have Dredd as an outside presence. He would only need to be in the film for 20 minutes at the most and it change how most people would see him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

rejutka posted:

Dredd believes the best rookie he ever assessed was Judge Dekker, who died during Necropolis.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Dredd believes the best rookie he ever assessed was Judge Dekker, who died during Necropolis.

Wrong zombie apocalypse. You mean Judgement Day (although I can see why you've chosen to forget it).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

Wrong zombie apocalypse. You mean Judgement Day (although I can see why you've chosen to forget it).

You're right, sorry. I sometimes muddle a few things between those two because they were only separated by a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I didn't even realize until just now Cersei Lannister is the villain.

• Locked thread