Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Megaspam posted:

While we're talking about the Deathwing Command Squad, I'm trying to figure out if the apothecary can carry a TH/SS.

The codex says:
"One Deathwing Terminator may be upgraded to a Deathwing Apothecary, replacing their power fist with a narthecium"
And:
"Any Deathwing Terminator may replace all of his weapons with a TH/SS"

I'm assuming that if you give a terminator a TH/SS, he loses his powerfist and thus doesn't have one to replace with a narthecium to become an apothecary.

And if you upgrade a terminator to an apothecary, he's no longer a "Deathwing Terminator", so you can't swap his weapons to TH/SS.

Is this correct?

Eurgh did this change? My apothecary has TH/SS because you could give them that in the last book. gently caress you 6th edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

Corrode posted:

Eurgh did this change? My apothecary has TH/SS because you could give them that in the last book. gently caress you 6th edition.

Yeah. Likewise you can't give the cyclone missile launcher to a TH/SS terminator since the TH/SS will replace the cyclone missile launcher, essentially.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
e: beaten, so... uh... I like your Command Squad loadout and I'm also unsure whether or not the Apothecary is worth it. 6 points per model for FNP is not bad I guess and the Apothecary model is cool.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 18, 2013

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Corrode posted:

Not that I ever really took advantage of it, but isn't the same wording as the nob? Start with a boy, upgrade him to carry a big shoota, and THEN upgrade him to be a nob. Or did they change something on me?

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

LordAba posted:

Not that I ever really took advantage of it, but isn't the same wording as the nob? Start with a boy, upgrade him to carry a big shoota, and THEN upgrade him to be a nob. Or did they change something on me?

If their ruling on Typhus and his plague zombies feature is any indication, upgrades like the DW Command squad happen almost 'simultaneously' when they contradict eachother (ie, not 'upgrades'). And it's more cut and dry with the apothecary: when you make a Terminator an Apothecary, he changes from Deathwing Terminator to Deathwing Apothecary. If the wording of the weapon section said "Member of the squad" instead of "Deathwing Terminator", he could do it.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

They really need to work on the editing/QC of the codexes before sending them to print.

They really might if they weren't more concerned with using slave labor to increase their profits even further. Did you see the "Printed In China" label on all the new material?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That isn't anything new. They've been printing things in China for a long time.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Does Sammael and Belial make their respective command squads scoring?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

No. Only Deathwing Terminator Squads and Ravenwing Assault Squadrons.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Evidently Mark Wells has stepped down as CEO of Games Workshop and the position has been combined with that of the acting Chairman.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Tom Kirby was running the show anyway so they probably just eliminated a redundant position in order to save cash.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I think it's just the "One Man Store" taken to the logical extreme.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Fix posted:

Evidently Mark Wells has stepped down as CEO of Games Workshop and the position has been combined with that of the acting Chairman.

Chairwing.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

this troper posted:

Yeah. Likewise you can't give the cyclone missile launcher to a TH/SS terminator since the TH/SS will replace the cyclone missile launcher, essentially.

Welp no more Deathwing for me then.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

For some reason I want to run Sammael with a big squad of Deathwing to give them Scout and Hit & Run.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

I'm not fielding DW Knights today but was there ever clarification on who exactly got the benefit of Fortress of Shields? In the back of the book it claims models with FoS, but in the detail description of the ability on the DW Knights page it says models with Inner Circle. I figured that would be in the very first errata.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

this troper posted:

I'm not fielding DW Knights today but was there ever clarification on who exactly got the benefit of Fortress of Shields? In the back of the book it claims models with FoS, but in the detail description of the ability on the DW Knights page it says models with Inner Circle. I figured that would be in the very first errata.

Of course it does. Jesus christ, GW.

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440161a&prodId=prod1890029a

Taking.
The.
Piss.

Because who wouldn't want to buy 26 models for over £120!

Edit 2: Costs exactly as much as buying them separately. Which is still £44 of backpacks and shoulderpads.

Natrapx fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 18, 2013

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Natrapx posted:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440161a&prodId=prod1890029a

Taking.
The.
Piss.

Because who wouldn't want to buy 26 models for over £120!

Edit 2: Costs exactly as much as buying them separately. Which is still £44 of backpacks and shoulderpads.

That's AUS$330 which is £217.48

'One-click themed purchase' Thanks GW, you know exactly what your customer base wants.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Those bundles are dumb as hell, but GW wouldn't put them up unless people were buying them, which is sad.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
What makes me laugh the most about these bundles is the Drop Pod Assault bundle, because it was hilariously enough already a thing for that limited release "troop squad + transport" thingy GW had going on last year, at 56 USD rather than the 74.50 USD it is now. My FLGS still has one of the 56 dollar ones.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Tailfnz posted:

What makes me laugh the most about these bundles is the Drop Pod Assault bundle, because it was hilariously enough already a thing for that limited release "troop squad + transport" thingy GW had going on last year, at 56 USD rather than the 74.50 USD it is now. My FLGS still has one of the 56 dollar ones.

Some exec probably had a fit when he realized money was being left on the table. ON THE TABLE!

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Greenwing is a dumb name for something that doesn't need a nickname and you should all be ashamed.

ashamed.

I have been slowly not working on my Dark Angels successor chapter. Color scheme is mostly standard dark angel, except with red helm and red hands and a more subdued, army-olive green.

My original notes for them had them as Angels of Vengeance, but it turns out that is already a chapter name!

So they are the Angels of Revengeance. And they love plasma. Oh by the emperor's golden loins do they love plasma.

"Is it time for vengeance?" the shrill, metallic voice of Vengeance Brother Marcus vomited forth from the vox like a horde of grots.

"Nay" replied Vengeance Master Titus. "It is time for revengeance!" The Vengeance Master raised his plasma power sword to the sky as it thrummed and crackled, boiling away the very air with it's fearsome and ancient technologies that were both fearsome and ancient.

Vengeance Brother Marcus was so impressed with the awe inspiring sight of his Vengeance Master that he nearly forgot himself. That was the signal - he thought to himself. He looked to his Vengeance Squad and said "That was the signal!" The air around him was filled with the satisfying thrum of plasma pistols and guns and cannons being charged. "Bring them the emperor's might! Bring them the emperor's revengeance!"

Balls and streams of white light erupted across the battlefield as the Angels of Revengeance let loose with their ancient and fearsome plasma weaponry, followed by explosions of dirt, air (yes, the air exploded) and horrible xenos. Yes, thought Vengeance Brother Marcus as he watched the cloud of filthy alien blood and body parts and plasma disperse. This is a good revengeance. The air continued to thrum as his Vengeance Squad charged their deadly weapons for a second volley.

"Angels of Revengeance, FIRE!" Again the air rippled and melted as plasma spat across the field, but this time the explosions were not just in front of him. No, they were behind him. Marcus knew what was happening. He barely had time to offer a final blessing for his Vengeance squad before the plasma weaponry exploded.

"The emperor's light engulfs us all!"

The screams of his squadmates were not screams of agony, Marcus knew. They may sound like that to the untrained ear, but his ears were not untrained. They were very trained. And what he heard was not agony but manly cries of pure pleasure as their armor and flesh boiled away in the light.

"Vengeance Chapter Master Titus, Vengeance Squad 8 has been blessed by the emperor's light." The vengeance master nodded darkly (because he knew the dark secrets of the chapter) as he acknowledged the order. "Send in the apothecaries to recover their geneseeds. If any survived." He surveyed the battlefield for a moment. "And send in some more devestator squads. We need more plasma guns."

All was good.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just call them the Revengencers.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I clicked that link thinking it'd take me to the 40k wiki and an article about a chapter with a dumb name. Instead, I got something to do with Metalocalypse.

I can't tell what's real anymore.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

I clicked that link thinking it'd take me to the 40k wiki and an article about a chapter with a dumb name. Instead, I got something to do with Metalocalypse.

I can't tell what's real anymore.

If it makes you feel any better, you could also go with Metal Gear.

Apparently some dictionaries actually include revengeance, which is just vengeance or revenge. Revengeance is the new inflammable.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Woah! GW admitted that they were going to give the Nephilim Jetfighter a plasma-based anti-aircraft gun, but the 787 showed them why planes and "Gets Hot" rolls don't mix.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

LordAba posted:

Woah! GW admitted that they were going to give the Nephilim Jetfighter a plasma-based anti-aircraft gun, but the 787 showed them why planes and "Gets Hot" rolls don't mix.

If the Nephilim had giant AA plasma cannons on it I would no longer care if it was an effective unit and would immediately get one. Haveing your super jet fighter blow up because of a plasma accident would be totally grimdark.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZachAttack posted:

If the Nephilim had giant AA plasma cannons on it I would no longer care if it was an effective unit and would immediately get one. Haveing your super jet fighter blow up because of a plasma accident would be totally grimdark.

seconded. especially if it then crashes onto their warlord.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I hope they FAQ it or Chapter Approve a variant of it; that's the metalest thing.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

Avenging Angels of Retributive Vengeance

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ZachAttack posted:

Too bad you would never be able to use it against the Tau because they would have grounded them STOP RUINING MY BAD 787 JOKE.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

LordAba posted:

Too bad you would never be able to use it against the Tau because they would have grounded them STOP RUINING MY BAD 787 JOKE.

Your joke was mildy amusing to me, I apologize for stealing your Dr. Thunder.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Revengeance means vengeance? What a country!

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

this troper posted:

Avenging Angels of Retributive Vengeance

The Eldar fell to the ground with a sickening thud, a bloody hole where it's head once stood on it's frail neck. Vengeance Brother Marek casually blew at the tip of his plasma pistol, blue-gray smoke trailing from it like some kind of ancient hydra or some poo poo. Whatever it reminded him of he liked it. Marek just about liked anything that involved plasma or revengeance. He really liked things that involved both of them at the same time.

"Eldar. They are barely worthy of our revengeance." They had been revengencing themselves upon the Eldar all day. Marek had slew at least 100 of the frail, poncy xenos. Maybe 200. They died so easily. Like babies. Not that he had ever wrecked revengeance upon babies. No. But he imagined that they would be easy to kill. Marek imagined a lot of things. He leveled his plasma pistol at another of the poncy eldar that was attempting to climb out of the pile of corpses that was once his squadron.

"PRIORITY DARK CHAPTER SECRET ONE. THIS IS THE GRAND VENGEANCE MASTER. ALL UNITS ARE TO REDEPLOY TO QUADRANT 03-41-09. REPEAT PRIORITY DARK CHAPTER SECRET ONE."

"Here we go again," Marek thought. The forbidden dark secret of the chapter. Marek gave the battlefield a final look. Space Marines from several chapters were everywhere, fighting eldar that were everywhere. He watched a blue rhino get ruptured by a bright lance, exploding in a fiery inferno. Without the Angels of Revengeance they would suffer many casualties.

"See ya later, shitlords." Marek activated his jumpjets and flew off to his new destination. He didn't know what the dark, forbidden secret of the chapter was. He knew that it was dark and forbidden, though. Maybe it involved plasma. Dark Forbidden Plasma.

Marek sincerely hoped so.

---

"Do you know why we are here?" Marek looked at the Space Marine that had asked the question. He wore the colors of the Avenging Angels of Retributive Vengeance, another Dark Angels successor chapter.

"Revengeance." Marek muttered, his gravel like voice distorted to a near demonic growl by the vox on his helmet. As if anyone needed to ask. Hundreds, no thousands of Space Marines were arriving. Dark Angels, Angels of Retribution, Angels of Absolution. Angels of Vengeance. Angels of Revengeance. The whole bunch.

"I think we're here for Retributive Vengeance" the other muttered. Marek suspected that he just asked the question so he could say that. Perhaps the Dark Forbidden Secret of the chapter was that they were all a bunch of jerks. Marek quickly pushed the thought away. They were not jerks. They were resolute, stalwart defenders of the Imperium.

"No, it's revengeance. I'm sure of it."

"I think we're here for Absolution." added in another voice.

"No. We are here for retribution."

"Here we go again," Marek growled.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Saddest Robot posted:

They died so easily. Like babies. Not that he had ever wrecked revengeance upon babies. No. But he imagined that they would be easy to kill. Marek imagined a lot of things.

I just wanted to say that the idea of a Space Marine who has been so hosed up by drugs and Chapter brainwashing that he has unironically spent a nonzero amount of free time mentally assessing how hard it would be to kill babies is something that I could imagine being on either side of the line that divides satire from 40K canon.

(Not "canon" as in "something they'd publish," but as in "if you follow canon premises to their logical conclusions, this is one potential endpoint.")

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Poe's Law works for Warhammer too.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Not to interrupt you lots babypunching chat, but I'd like some advice on my first army.

CSM:
HQ Warpsmith (all rewards but spell fam.) 170pts
(Cultists autoguns, shotgun and heavy stubbers x10)x2 150 pts
Helbrute (scourges/launchers) x2 240 pts
Heldrake x1 170pts
Vindicator (shield, goyls, armour) x1 145pts
Forgefiend (dakka cannons) x1 175pts
(Havocs w/autocannons x10) x1 215pts

All that can do take tzeentch marks and flame Icons.
total=1265 pts
This is what i've come up with randomly grabbing poo poo I thought looked good at the time.
Want a 1500 and 2000 pt army since that seems to be the two most common sizes i've seen.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 19, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I don't have any criticism as such but what's the reasoning for taking a squad of Havocs without buying any heavy weapons for them?

vvv Well, the common consensus I've seen seems to be autocannons. It's what I'm most likely going to do when I finally get around to making a Havoc squad. I've also seen suggestions of using Havocs as a special weapons squad rather than long range heavy weapons, since you can take 4-5 plasma or melta guns in one squad if that's your thing, as opposed to only 2 in a regular troop squad.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

JerryLee posted:

I don't have any criticism as such but what's the reasoning for taking a squad of Havocs without buying any heavy weapons for them?

I wasn't sure what heavy weapons to take. :downs:

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 19, 2013

• Locked thread