Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
So the latest thing around my right-wing dominated workplace is a 30 minute YouTube video on the "Sandy Hook Conspiracy" where I guess the conclusion is it's all a plot for Obama to take ARE GUNS or something. The only point they seem to harp on is the gun claimed to be used in the shooting is shown in a video being pulled out of a car trunk. I'm sure it's all bullshit and I'm sure not watching it but has anyone else heard about/seen this? It's taken as fact around here and I just don't know enough (or care) to rebut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Radio Nowhere posted:

So the latest thing around my right-wing dominated workplace is a 30 minute YouTube video on the "Sandy Hook Conspiracy" where I guess the conclusion is it's all a plot for Obama to take ARE GUNS or something. The only point they seem to harp on is the gun claimed to be used in the shooting is shown in a video being pulled out of a car trunk. I'm sure it's all bullshit and I'm sure not watching it but has anyone else heard about/seen this? It's taken as fact around here and I just don't know enough (or care) to rebut.

Check the PYF idiots on facebook thread. The whole sandy hook conspiracy thing has been cranked up to 11 for the past week or two. Your workplace is actually pretty slow on the lunatic conspiracy uptake.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Really, the easiest rebuttal is just saying it's pretty disgusting as well as paranoid to suggest 20 families scarified their children as well as a good deal of a town being in on the plan just so they could take your guns. Waco, Ruby Ridge, ect, if the government wants your guns, they'll just come loving take your guns, you're not going to stand up to an entire SWAT team, at least stand up and come out alive.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Amused to Death posted:

Really, the easiest rebuttal is just saying it's pretty disgusting as well as paranoid to suggest 20 families scarified their children as well as a good deal of a town being in on the plan just so they could take your guns. Waco, Ruby Ridge, ect, if the government wants your guns, they'll just come loving take your guns, you're not going to stand up to an entire SWAT team, at least stand up and come out alive.

You forget they say that no one really died every one involved is an actor.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Radio Nowhere posted:

It's all BS, and I'm REALLY not sure why it's getting so much more traction than, say, 9/11 conspiracy theories.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Check the PYF idiots on facebook thread. The whole sandy hook conspiracy thing has been cranked up to 11 for the past week or two. Your workplace is actually pretty slow on the lunatic conspiracy uptake.

Maybe they've been talking about it longer among themselves, somehow it slipped out today at lunch. I'm sorta persona non grata in many political conversations here since I don't toe whatever line is being fed to them by AM Radio and Fox News. I purified my Facebook wall last summer when the election ratcheted up so guess I missed this YouTube video there too. I'm use to the Limbaugh/Hannity type stuff in my office, not so much the Alex Jones level of crap I heard today.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's all BS, and I'm REALLY not sure why it's getting so much more traction than, say, 9/11 conspiracy theories.

Since 9/11 did not lead to them trying to :argh:steal our guns:argh:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Purified your facebook? I had to sever contact with several family members who have become profoundly racist since Obama's election. I was told verbatim "the blacks don't have to take any responsibility" as the sole rationale to repeal the estate tax. That, and because I actually read books and newspapers, I now cannot visit my mother without her begging me to admit that Obama won reelection because people were voting with their heart and not their brain. Yes, the incumbent who passed the health care reform he ran on the first time, presided over the capture of Osama Bin Laden, delayed a financial collapse, and ended an unpopular war beat a political unknown because of jungle fever.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Regarding Sandy Hook, I received this a week ago:

quote:

Excerpt from Muad'Dib's January 7th, 2013 Critical Mass Radio interview:

...They used a poster child for this to get everybody's sympathy and to get everybody's emotions up so that they could hopefully bring in a gun ban. They used a little poster child, a little blonde-haired blue-eyed six year old girl. She was the face, the poster child. She was supposedly killed along with the other 19 six year olds and seven year olds at Sandy Hook. Three days later Obama was there doing a photo op and she's sitting on his knee. She's supposed to be dead, used as a poster child, this little girl died - she's sitting on Obama's knee three days later. The same little girl.

And then they have her parents interviewed. It shows that they're all actors. It never really happened, because the guy that was supposedly her dad, is shown in the video where he's to the side and he's laughing and joking with other people and then he's called up in front of the camera. He's off to the left. Then he's called to the center, to the focus of the camera to be interviewed and to give his speech about Sandy Hook and about his daughter. And he goes from on the side from laughing and joking with everybody, he comes up to the center and ... he takes the joking, smiling face off and you can see him physically trying to force his face to look sad and then he starts talking about how his daughter's been killed. They're actors. There were no bodies.

It was a made for TV drama to try to ram through the gun control laws, because they want to kill the American people and they can't kill armed people. That's why Hitler disarmed the Germans, it's why Stalin disarmed the Russians, it's why chairman Mao disarmed the Chinese and they killed between them something like 120 million of their own people. And that's what they want to do in America and they can't do it because the people have the Second Amendment and they have guns. So they have to do all of this, and they'll keep doing it. There will be more incidents like this, which are made for television, until they manage to persuade the American people to give up their guns. And then they'll start killing the Americans. Because the Americans are the only people stopping them from doing what they want to do already. They know they can't put their next phase, which is reducing the world's population, they can't put that phase into operation whilst the Americans have got millions of guns.

This message has no links to help it get through spam blockers. If you are interested in the subjects being discussed, please search the Web for more information.

Not sure how I wound up getting it but I've been getting an increased amount of spam and malicious emails since I put up my email address in SA-Mart. Not sure there's a connection as I don't really try to conceal it that much.

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 19, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

quote:

This message has no links to help it get through spam blockers. If you are interested in the subjects being discussed, please search the Web for more information.

This kills me for some reason. Maybe it's the thought that they put this in because they believe that if somebody were to "search the Web for more information", they would undoubtedly come to the exact same conclusion as the author!

Also let me point something out: Hitler didn't disarm the German people, he confiscated the property of the Jews. In fact the Weimar Republic had stricter gun laws than the Nazi regime that took it over. Hell, the Nazis lowered the age at which somebody was legally able to buy a gun from 20 down to 18.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 19, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
So I like Rush, the awesome prog-rock 3 man band, on my Facebook. Facebook 'dun goofed and showed me an ad for Rush Limbaugh: "You know how to stop abortion? Require that each one occur with a gun"

...yeah. Every time I think that this guy cannot possibly be as awful as I think he is, something else happens. Reminds me of the this one article he did: during the Kony 2012 crazy, Rush had an online article about how Obama had sent evil government troops to kill CHRISTIANS in Uganda. He was helping MUSLIMS (gasp black Muslims, too) kill CHRISTIANS.

Jesus loving Christ.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
Rush is weird in that he doesn't seem to be overtly religious but he still mashes the "Judeo-Christian oppression" button whenever he gets the opportunity on the air. It strikes me as much less sincere and more opportunistic than, say, the vitriolic hatred of someone like Michael Savage.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Rush literally get paid to yell whatever will get the most right wing people nodding, his own values are meaningless.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Good news everyone! Neal Boortz, king libertarian assclown is retiring/being forced out/something and Herman Cain is replacing him. If you aren't already a victim of conservative talk radio, you might want to start listening because this poo poo is going to be amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Good news everyone! Neal Boortz, king libertarian assclown is retiring/being forced out/something and Herman Cain is replacing him. If you aren't already a victim of conservative talk radio, you might want to start listening because this poo poo is going to be amazing.

Oh dear god this is like Christmas came early.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I've listened to Cain fill in for other hosts several times and he isn't any more entertaining than the other guys, sadly. He's like a more generic and slightly less religion focused version of Glenn Beck when he's trying to fill 3 hours with inane chatter.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Isn't Rush's broadcasting company going bankrupt like right now, and all because of ad companies pulling their funding after he got too crazy about Fluke. I was hoping he'd go down with the company like the rat he is.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

It seemed that Boortz for the day after the election was actually the most sane of all the right wing news people. Then he returned to being insane.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oh my gosh. This is going to be the very best, like nothing ever was. They need to lead in with that awesome HER-MAN CAIN!! stinger from his campaign ads.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

az posted:

Isn't Rush's broadcasting company going bankrupt like right now, and all because of ad companies pulling their funding after he got too crazy about Fluke. I was hoping he'd go down with the company like the rat he is.

Also Bain Capital did that buy-leverage-dump scheme they do to grab a shitload of money for themselves and sink a company in the process, I believe.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

VanSandman posted:

Also Bain Capital did that buy-leverage-dump scheme they do to grab a shitload of money for themselves and sink a company in the process, I believe.

Can we put this in "Big Business doing moral good for the community" bin? I know it was an honest mistake, but a broken clock, etc.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

VanSandman posted:

I think this is one of those rare cases of two wrongs actually making a right.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Regarding the almost assured big upcoming 3d printed plastic guns debate:

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/glenn-beck-interviews-defense-distributed-founder-on-3d

Glenn Beck says this technology is scary because... "Occupy Movement will take over the world" and wonderful "because the holocaust would not have happened".

The Defense Distributed guy is pretty fascinating if sort of scary.

Lemonus fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 19, 2013

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Lemonus posted:

The Defense Distributed guy is pretty fascinating if sort of scary.
He's just a libertarian idiot. He was interviewed on NPR a few weeks ago. The interviewer kept asking, point blank, "...so you can't foresee any problems if you flood the streets with mass-produced, untraceable guns? Really?"

He kept responding in a lofty voice, "I'm just giving an idea to the world, each individual has the right to choose how they use it!" or some poo poo.

He immediately went into a five-minute rant espousing the virtues of BitCoins. Really.

ActionJacksonATL
Nov 9, 2006

Seoinin posted:

Oh my gosh. This is going to be the very best, like nothing ever was. They need to lead in with that awesome HER-MAN CAIN!! stinger from his campaign ads.

They actually lead in with the "I Am America" song which is hilariously awful in its own right. Honestly, Boortz was at least entertaining to listen to because who doesn't like hearing an old white privileged jerk whining and bitching about the poors and other things. More than often I found myself laughing at him rather than getting angry... but Herman Cain actually seems to be either actually ignorant or playing that role and it's like I'm hearing a somewhat dumbed down version of Hannity just with a different accent.

I have a feeling I'll be tuning into something else in the mornings now...

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Stuck watching Fox News at the auto shop this morning. Why do they all have to yell so much? Everyone keeps shouting. Is this to get people to watch or is it because there demographic is hard of hearing?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Crasscrab posted:

This kills me for some reason. Maybe it's the thought that they put this in because they believe that if somebody were to "search the Web for more information", they would undoubtedly come to the exact same conclusion as the author!

Also let me point something out: Hitler didn't disarm the German people, he confiscated the property of the Jews. In fact the Weimar Republic had stricter gun laws than the Nazi regime that took it over. Hell, the Nazis lowered the age at which somebody was legally able to buy a gun from 20 down to 18.

Do you have a source for this? I feel like searching 'nazi gun control policy' isn't going to be very helpful.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

Necc0 posted:

Do you have a source for this? I feel like searching 'nazi gun control policy' isn't going to be very helpful.

It's true. Hitler actually rolled back Weimar gun laws for the vast majority of Germans, i.e. non-Jewish ethnic Germans.

It's almost silly to give the "GUN CONTROL = HITLER" trope the dignity of a response by pointing this out, though, since the notion that the Jews could have done anything to stop the Wehrmacht and the SS with small personal arms is patently ludicrous.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

Stuck watching Fox News at the auto shop this morning. Why do they all have to yell so much? Everyone keeps shouting. Is this to get people to watch or is it because there demographic is hard of hearing?

It's not just the content of what they are peddling, it's getting the viewer to feel angry and fearful that makes them more receptive to the message.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Necc0 posted:

Gun politics: Associations with authoritarianism

quote:

Opponents of gun control often state that past totalitarian regimes passed gun control legislation, which was later followed by confiscation, with Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany during World War II, as well as some communist states being cited as examples.[138][139][140] They often cite the example of the Nazi regime, claiming that once the Nazis had taken and consolidated their power, they proceeded to implement gun control laws to disarm the population and wipe out the opposition, and the genocide of disarmed Jews, gypsies, and other "undesirables" followed.[141][142][143] Historians have pointed out, however, that the preceding democratic Weimar Republic already had restrictive gun laws, which were actually liberalised by the Nazis when they came to power. According to the Weimar Republic 1928 Law on Firearms & Ammunition, firearms acquisition or carrying permits were “only to be granted to persons of undoubted reliability, and—in the case of a firearms carry permit—only if a demonstration of need is set forth.” The Nazis replaced this law with the Weapons Law of March 18, 1938, which was very similar in structure and wording, but relaxed gun control requirements for the general population. This relaxation included the exemption from regulation of all weapons and ammunition except handguns, the extension of the range of persons exempt from the permit requirement, and the lowering of the age for acquisition of firearms from 20 to 18. It did, however, prohibit manufacturing of firearms and ammunition by Jews.[144] Shortly thereafter, in the additional Regulations Against Jews' Possession of Weapons of November 11, 1938, Jews were forbidden from possession of any weapons at all.[143][144] Soviet Russia and the Soviet Union did not abolish personal gun ownership during the initial period from 1918 to 1929, and the introduction of gun control in 1929 coincided with the beginning of Stalin's rule.[145]

the2ndgenesis posted:

It's true. Hitler actually rolled back Weimar gun laws for the vast majority of Germans, i.e. non-Jewish ethnic Germans.

It's almost silly to give the "GUN CONTROL = HITLER" trope the dignity of a response by pointing this out, though, since the notion that the Jews could have done anything to stop the Wehrmacht and the SS with small personal arms is patently ludicrous.

It's also important to take into account the idea that the Nazis were all about the defense of the Fatherland, so allowing citizens (at least the desirable kind) access to weapons made sense if you were obsessed with fighting a foreign enemy.

Armyman25 posted:

School yard argument rules. Whoever yells the loudest and interrupts the other person the most is the winner.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 19, 2013

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Armyman25 posted:

Self-righteous bitterness is addictive, and Fox viewers want to see their bitterness confirmed, justified, and acted upon.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

the2ndgenesis posted:

I get so sick of that argument too. "Well ok, but everyone but the JEWS. But if they had guns...". John Stewart summed it up well when he showed how the Polish, French and Soviets had guns, but it didn't stop the Germans from invading them and committing genocide against their populations either. gently caress, even the Jews who did fight back unfortunately didn't really do much aside from make a symbolic last stand. I wish these people realized guns are not the be all/end all solutions to problems throughout history that they pretend they are.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
The argument will eventually morph to "See? The Nazi's picked and chose who they thought should have a gun! JUST LIKE OBAMA!"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It freaks me out how the right has been engaging in Holocaust revisionism, and how few alarms that has been setting off.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Boondock Saint posted:

I get so sick of that argument too. "Well ok, but everyone but the JEWS. But if they had guns...". John Stewart summed it up well when he showed how the Polish, French and Soviets had guns, but it didn't stop the Germans from invading them and committing genocide against their populations either. gently caress, even the Jews who did fight back unfortunately didn't really do much aside from make a symbolic last stand. I wish these people realized guns are not the be all/end all solutions to problems throughout history that they pretend they are.

I guess they watched Inglorious Basterds one too many times.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

It freaks me out how the right has been engaging in Holocaust revisionism, and how few alarms that has been setting off.
It's not actual Holocaust denial so it's OK. :smug:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Dr Christmas posted:

Can you explain what you mean by that?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Ramadu posted:

Can you explain what you mean by that?

Pretending that Obama's proposed policies, or anything suggested by any other gun control advocate, resembles anything done in Nazi Germany is revising history. While the Nazis did place restrictions on the people they were oppressing, they removed restrictions on others. The stuff early in Obamas first term, with Glenn Beck talking about how Hitler used UHC to execute the disabled, was even more egregious.

gently caress, I am just angry at Glenn Beck's success. I feel like Kyle in the South Park episode Cartmanland or the people here.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Neil Cavuto knows why so many people are on food stamps: cause it's just too cool NOT to be on them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Mr Interweb posted:

Neil Cavuto knows why so many people are on food stamps: cause it's just too cool NOT to be on them!

Scum like Neil Cavuto are quite familiar with the act of shaming the poor for being poor.