Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Become a combat engineer. It's the infantry but sometimes gayer and with more explosions! Explosions! Tanks! Diving! Jumping! Hurt Lockering! Water purifying! Idiots! Cleaning stuff! Drinking at work!

Seriously though being a sapper isn't too bad. A good mix of high speed infantry stuff and a lot of different specializations within the trade. You can be a hardcore army dude field troop or a more relaxed support guy. poo poo you can even drive tanks. We also happen to be red ATM so it would be easy to get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Plus you can grow a sweet beard, right?

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Plus you can grow a sweet beard, right?

The Kevlar Beard is a sacred and holy thing... Never mock the almighty.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
No sweet beards. That was the pioneers when they still existed. They're just wannabe sappers anyways.

:colbert:

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing

Samu posted:

No sweet beards. That was the pioneers when they still existed. They're just wannabe sappers anyways.

:colbert:

You should tell that to them :P

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

acumen posted:

I'm not an officer first of all, and I did place infantry on my "top 3", even though I know it's not open. I'm leaning towards weapon tech or traffic tech actually, although I'm still pretty open to suggestions since apparently those are closed too :(

Traffic tech is a good choice if you like working your rear end off all day everyday doing real work and not some cleaning or sitting around bullshit. They also get deployed all the time which is good if you enjoy being away from home.

As for being closed, it will probably be open again starting the next fiscal year. My wife wanted to join as an RMS Clerk in late 2011 and the trade was close, she waited until spring and they gave her an offer.

Or become a meteotech, they need tons of them apparently. A year long course and you get spec pay for looking at radar images and watching outside your office window to see if its raining or not!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frog 1.0 posted:

Traffic tech is a good choice if you like working your rear end off all day everyday doing real work and not some cleaning or sitting around bullshit. They also get deployed all the time which is good if you enjoy being away from home.

As for being closed, it will probably be open again starting the next fiscal year. My wife wanted to join as an RMS Clerk in late 2011 and the trade was close, she waited until spring and they gave her an offer.

Or become a meteotech, they need tons of them apparently. A year long course and you get spec pay for looking at radar images and watching outside your office window to see if its raining or not!

Unfortunately with the met techs, you are deployable to the field if they want to gently caress with you. So if you hate the field, that is a trade that isn't entirely immune from it.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Pufflekins posted:

Unfortunately with the met techs, you are deployable to the field if they want to gently caress with you. So if you hate the field, that is a trade that isn't entirely immune from it.

You mean as GD or do they actually do their trade in the field too? Because that might actually be a cool thing to do.

If I ever get bored my trade, it's something I might be interested in. The only thing that turn me off is that it seem like a static job and I need to have something to do all the time or I go crazy.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frog 1.0 posted:

You mean as GD or do they actually do their trade in the field too? Because that might actually be a cool thing to do.

If I ever get bored my trade, it's something I might be interested in. The only thing that turn me off is that it seem like a static job and I need to have something to do all the time or I go crazy.

I've only seen met techs in the field twice. One on a regimental ex and the other on brigade ex. I never saw the inner workings of their tents though. I think their 'field time' on the regimental ex was just them sleeping in the met building on base.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Met Techs are a purple trade and can get posted to a ship, just FYI. Not till MCpl though. I'd assume they get sent anywhere command needs to know the weather (i.e. everywhere).

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I checked out hot trades and 2 of the ones I wanted originally are in demand. I might reapply just to see if I can get them.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

RMS Clerk is full?

Oh my god. We have reached peak REMF.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

RMS Clerk is full?

Oh my god. We have reached peak REMF.

Not just that, but some trades might be bringing back promotion boards for the lieutenant-to-captain jump!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Guest2553 posted:

Not just that, but some trades might be bringing back promotion boards for the lieutenant-to-captain jump!

They're also booting out a lot of 10 year CWOs and Captains. I think I mentioned this earlier, but a buddy of my mom's went on leave and came back to a note on his desk saying 'thanks for being a chief, this date is when you're retired'.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Guest2553 posted:

Well, I guess that'll have the side effect of no longer making it a 'gimme' rank that everyone makes fun of for a while. Also, adding admin for the sake of admin. woo!

I've heard on the 'voluntary' retirement thing, it was CWOs that had already hit CRA that were being asked to make room. Or forced out.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Simkin posted:

I've heard on the 'voluntary' retirement thing, it was CWOs that had already hit CRA that were being asked to make room. Or forced out.

This guy hadn't hit CRA yet. He hit the 35 year mark and was voluntold to retire.

what son what
Nov 6, 2008
Can't wait till I'm voluntold to GTFO

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Just talked to a guy from CFB Edmonton, he told me that there are something like 600 releases in the system for that base alone right now

Everyone's trying to get out before 1990's Round Two: Yeah It Really Can Get Worse

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Well the reason we're so bad for releases is that there's so much money to be made in Alberta. A tradesman starts off at around 32 bucks an hour in the oilfields and can make up to the high 40/hour range. Even labourers make anywhere from 27.50 to 35.00 an hour. Our rate of attrition for heavy equipment guys is through the roof right now since you can go be a loader operator and make 80k a year working for Shell. Add in guys not seeing any tours for the near future and you wind up with all these releases. We have some troops that are almost being halved at my unit since morale is a bit poo poo and there's no incentive for a lot of guys to stay in. They aren't offering any more 3 year extensions and guys aren't willing to commit to five years when we keep getting told about PLD/LDA getting cut and budget cuts reducing the amount of Ex's the brigade can do.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Yeah, the yearly "they're getting rid of PLD!" scare. This year I'm being assured that it's going to happen, most likely over a 4 year or so phase-out. We'll see. Gonna suck, it's a big chunk of change.

BTW, back when I had to resign I wasn't given any 3 or 5 year options, it was IE25 or not (ie GTFO). 2029 here we come!

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

ub posted:

BTW, back when I had to resign I wasn't given any 3 or 5 year options, it was IE25 or not (ie GTFO). 2029 here we come!

Hey I did the same and my release date is 2029 too. Although if things are still good I hope to do at least 30 since I will be only 55 years old.

I just got posted in Edmonton and I would of never guessed how bad things are here. TN company in 1 SV BN is not letting anybody release before the 6 months mark unless they have mininum 20 years in.

If only it was the bad seeds that released instead of the smart hard worker ones.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frog 1.0 posted:

If only it was the bad seeds that released instead of the smart hard worker ones.

militaryretention.txt

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

ub posted:

Yeah, the yearly "they're getting rid of PLD!" scare. This year I'm being assured that it's going to happen, most likely over a 4 year or so phase-out. We'll see. Gonna suck, it's a big chunk of change.

"They" said exactly, and I mean exactly, the same thing the last time the rates were adjusted, what, 6 or 7 years ago. They should move the west coast naval base from one of the world's most unaffordable cities to Prince Rupert or something - that would save money (eventually).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Well, at least we got confirmation that LDA would be sticking around, because "it's too much asspain to take similar incentives away from the Air Force and Navy."

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Retention is way down in my unit since everybody keeps talking about another "Decade of Darkness" and is releasing ASAP.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

DrakeriderCa posted:

Everyone's trying to get out before 1990's Round Two: Yeah It Really Can Get Worse

I got in 9 years ago during the crest of the post-darkness boom. I should have enough time left to live through Darkness II: Electric Boogaloo and see the years of plenty in 202x, but not sure I want to bet the farm on it quite yet.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Went to a recruiting station to re-enter the forces as an officer now that I (almost) have my master's only to find out that most officer trades are currently closed. And the only bone they were willing to throw me for prior service was not making me write the aptitude test again (which I wouldn't even mind doing).

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
You'd submit a PLAR before enrolling so you'd probably get more bones. I don't know what rank you were, but even if you just have BMQ you ought to be able to get credit for the first phase of BMOQ if nothing else.

This is probably the worst time of year to join. Massive ROTP processing plus far enough into the fiscal year that they have plenty of applicants - I think there's a DEO board sitting almost concurrent with ROTP, mid Feb or so. Get your poo poo ready for 1 Apr, the jobs open again (I'm sure you know).

What do you want to do?

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
From what I was told, a ton of trades have a selection 27 Feb.
Subject of course to nothing changing.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

ub posted:

this is dependent on trade and if you are an NCM or officer. Some trades have 3-5 year resigns all the way to 25. Some only have one 5 year then 25. Some have none and only a 25. So it's completely trade dependent.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Elgar posted:

this is dependent on trade and if you are an NCM or officer. Some trades have 3-5 year resigns all the way to 25. Some only have one 5 year then 25. Some have none and only a 25. So it's completely trade dependent.

Ya the artillery had a 3 year VIE and then a 3 year then 25 year.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

The officer initial contracts are quite a bit longer - the average among my DEO cohort was 9 years, ranging up to I believe 15(!).

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
This is my third year of having a CT to Int Op (and Comms Rsch) from infantry reserves but Im not holding my breath. Am I right in assuming its more difficult to get into because my application is put below regular force transfers into the trade? (since Int Op is VOT only, mostly). Sucks though, I speak Russian and have some university so I like to think im an okay candidate.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title

Simkin posted:

The officer initial contracts are quite a bit longer - the average among my DEO cohort was 9 years, ranging up to I believe 15(!).

That seems kinda long, but then again, most of the DEO guys I know signed their initial contracts a quite while ago, and we're all tagged with tons of oblig time now anyways. My oblig service will expire in my 14th year in, makes getting to 25 seem almost like it would be retarded not to.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Simkin posted:

Mine is only 6 years, but I also joined the reddest trade in the Forces at the time, so maybe they were trying to attract more people. The longest I've heard of is 9 years.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Mine was 9 for infantry, and I do recall that the guys going into the Air Force were looking at the same and longer contracts.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Interesting. I was thinking about it, and every DEO had a 6 year contract when I did basic around a year ago. Only the ROTP had contracts that extended into the 9-10 year range.

9+ year initial contracts are a long time. Even a 6 year contract sort of scared me.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, when I signed on for 9 in 2009 I felt it was quite long, but at the time I was a broke rear end student who'd never held a job for longer than a year, so...

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Freeze posted:

Interesting. I was thinking about it, and every DEO had a 6 year contract when I did basic around a year ago. Only the ROTP had contracts that extended into the 9-10 year range.

9+ year initial contracts are a long time. Even a 6 year contract sort of scared me.

Some occupations also have extra-contractual time obligations tacked on, pilot for sure with a 7 year post wings restricted release, which could certainly add up if you sit around on OJT for any length of time before and between phases (not as big a problem anymore). You can release but better have a very compelling reason, not that you got a job at Westjet or flying helicopters to oil rigs in the Middle East.

So a typical ROTP guy would have 4 years time in school + two years at least to wings + 7 years RR to make for a defacto 13 year initial engagement. Fortunately the obligatory service for the school time runs concurrently, but if you gently caress up or get cold feet before that runs out you get to pay back school fees plus salary plus allowances (like PLD if at a civy school).

That particular obligation is big, big money for medical students, at least two of whom recently released just as they finished residency and licensing. Hundreds of thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Does the CF reserve give a flying gently caress about non-offensive easily covered tattoos? I'm considering getting one but I'm also moving back to Canada and am hoping to join the reserves as an officer.

Also if anyone in the naval reserves would like to talk about it my AIM is FoWafflehound. :)