Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Most of my composites have lasted over a year before the blades start to wear and fall apart. Ive had the occassional shaft snap here and there but most of my sticks break from stick play, getting stepped on or taking shots and deflections. Mostly im using reebok 11k but Im trying out an s19 and a warrior dynasty so we will see how those work out.

I like to think im pretty easy on sticks but it all depends on the gameplay in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I've managed to keep a couple of rbk 7k's for about 4-5 years now. I'm going to be a little sad when I have to buy a new stick. They're so beat up from fighting with guys in the low slot. The Mako looks really nice, but I don't think I've ever paid more than $100 for a stick.

Gear lust is a real thing, and is why I have 5 pairs of gloves. My favorites are some old pro stock Dallas Stars Sherwoods. The best!

There's some kind of trend going on in our locker room where 5 of us have had to buy new cups/hockey jocks in the last 2 weeks. I don't know why. I don't know if it's because we're all kinda fatties or what but across 4 brands, but every new one that shows up are all the narrowest athletic supporters ever. Not really trying to start dick talk, but this seems like a real thing to us. We're out of our minds, aren't we?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Are these the new compression shorts e.g. from Shock Doctor? Yeah, they take some serious breaking in. Don't ask me how the hell a jock needs breaking in, but they get better fitting over time :iiam:

Oh hey, I just went to Shock Doctor's website, and here are the worst tag lines you will ever see.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I bought a shock doctor, and yes.. it sucks. Another guy bought a different shock doctor AND an under armour. One guy picked up a newer model RBK than I already had, and I don't remember what else. We all have the same problem. The narrowest cups ever. That poo poo is dangerous. haha

Break it in, eh? That's definitely a new one on me. Another game tonight so I'll give it a shot, but I'm not sure I see how the cup improves.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I ended up leaving my compression shorts behind after a game and it was seriously the best thing that ever happened to me. I ended up using it as an excuse to buy the Bauer jock shorts (it's a mesh short with a jockstrap sewn in). It's so much more comfortable, I cannot even begin to tell you. Although I did have to get a wider cup, because it was somehow narrorer than the damned shock doctor ones.

So get a good cup, and put it in a jockstrap or something. Those loving compression shorts will make you feel (and look) like a supreme fatty unless you're Mr. 4% body fat.

sellouts posted:

I can tell you how this is going to play out -- you're going to lust after the higher level sticks now that you're used to it and the second you find a deal at all you'll jump on it. And you'll spend weeks looking for deals and lamenting that they don't have your pattern/flex but have a bunch of (these lovely ones). Welcome to it.

Cost varies greatly. If they're under $60 gloves you're better off getting a new pair usually. However if you're just seeing a small hole get it patched. That is much cheaper but not sure if they can do it on a finger. Also I've played through 3 inch holes in my palms before doing it so given the expense if they cant patch I'd probably just sit on it. This is what took me to replace it

You'll also want to get a replacement pair anyways as it'll take longer than your next game to do it.

But if you want to repalm the whole thing, here's 2 examples of pricing:

From the manufacturer (in my case Eagle):
We could certainly re-palm your gloves in a different material if you’d like. The cost we charge for this is $45.00 if we use our popular MSH2 synthetic fibre material, or $55.00 if we use the Goat skin material in the natural/tan colour. (I have the natrual tan colour using some weird leather).

There is an additional charge for replacing the finger gussets, which is $10.00 if we use the MSH2 or $15.00 for Goat skin. This does not include shipping to our Detroit area customs broker. It took about 4-5 weeks for them to do it.

Locally, here's another option that isn't manufacturer related: http://jakeshockey.com/services/ . 50 for the palms, 10 for the gussets, 3-4 week turnaround I seem to recall. His FBV sharpening is outrageously expensive but his palming seems to be par for the course.

Awesome sellouts, thanks a ton! Guess it'll be cheaper to just buy new gloves... and yeah, you're right about my future with sticks. :v:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I buy my gear from the equipment manager of whatever big university is near by. Quality used stuff. Usually costs 20 bucks for anything.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

delpheye posted:

I bought a shock doctor, and yes.. it sucks. Another guy bought a different shock doctor AND an under armour. One guy picked up a newer model RBK than I already had, and I don't remember what else. We all have the same problem. The narrowest cups ever. That poo poo is dangerous. haha

Break it in, eh? That's definitely a new one on me. Another game tonight so I'll give it a shot, but I'm not sure I see how the cup improves.

I guess this is the one time ball cancer ever directly gave me a leg up, because my Shock Doctor cup fits great and I never had a problem with it. :v:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Vicas posted:

I guess this is the one time ball cancer ever directly gave me a leg up, because my Shock Doctor cup fits great and I never had a problem with it. :v:

Christ in heaven Vicas, and here I thought my wonderful colon tumor was bad.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I still got one and it fits fine.

e: I'm also still clean, according to a CT scan and x-ray I got today, so it's going well.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Is there a easy way to fix the pitch of a inline hockey skate? Will heel lifts under my superfeet insoles work, or do I have to shim up the back of the frame?

My new pair of Mission AC2 feel very heel heavy due to spending most of my time on forward pitched slalom and speed skates.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

Lake Placid rinks being plowed.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
The thread title is very true.

I've played a couple times in a weekly pickup game that some guys from work have, and a few times now people have suggested that I should get my skates rockered. Is that very useful for someone just starting out? If I do get it done, what exactly should I be asking the shop for?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A smaller rocker will make you more agile but slower. A bigger rocker will give you more stability and speed but turning will suffer. The middle of the road setting is 10' for an average height dude.

Not really qualified to say what is "best" for a beginner, or even why they suggested it. Were they commenting on a problem you are having skating, or is it just a bunch of hockey bros parroting "pro" advice they found on the internet?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are you playing ice or roller?

I got my skates profiled and really like it. I was able to play at my most competitive level growing up without it though so it didn't really matter.

I bet you just need to work on your edges. Build strength.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
this stuff might be a bit advanced for you, but it will really help you gain a lot of control.

I started doing those whenever I could find some free ice time. I found they helped me corner a lot sharper and not loose anywhere near the speed I use to. It also helped a lot with balance and basically eliminated any left over "weak side" feelings I had.

I usually do this in warm ups just to loosen up and I find it works great.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

xzzy posted:

Not really qualified to say what is "best" for a beginner, or even why they suggested it. Were they commenting on a problem you are having skating, or is it just a bunch of hockey bros parroting "pro" advice they found on the internet?

Nah, this is a group of mostly old dudes who have played for years. They only mentioned it after watching me from the bench or at a free skate. They were most likely noticing...

sellouts posted:

I bet you just need to work on your edges. Build strength.

This is probably it. I'm not a strong skater by any means - I only recently figured out that I could use the outside edges. Off to the outdoor rinks for me this weekend (unless this chinook wipes them out, that is).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

aehiilrs posted:

This is probably it. I'm not a strong skater by any means - I only recently figured out that I could use the outside edges. Off to the outdoor rinks for me this weekend (unless this chinook wipes them out, that is).

Like everything, it's practice, practice, practice. Get some private lessons or get in on a "learn to play" clinic if you can. Every bit helps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Outside edges are still the death of me. I'm getting incrementally better but it's by far my biggest weakness.

I wonder if it's one of those things that is a lot easier to learn as a kid.. less fear, less distance to fall, less mass to maneuver, and more flexibility. :v:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

:woop::woop::woop::woop:

Looks so purdy!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I think I have the opposite of gear lust. I don't replace poo poo until it's worn out to the point of not being able to get away with wearing it anymore. That is how I had the same shinpads from the age of 10 until the age of 27. I'd still have them today if they hadn't literally cracked in half. :(

RIP lovely cooper shinpads

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guess who gets to skate on pro ice March 10th? :v:

Got into one of those "game after the game" things after the icehogs and wolves play.

better than mama
Jan 26, 2009

Petit.Conan posted:

this stuff might be a bit advanced for you, but it will really help you gain a lot of control.

I started doing those whenever I could find some free ice time. I found they helped me corner a lot sharper and not loose anywhere near the speed I use to. It also helped a lot with balance and basically eliminated any left over "weak side" feelings I had.

I usually do this in warm ups just to loosen up and I find it works great.

How many years does it take to be able to do this? I have been working on them but I only can do a few & only when starting with momentum.

Regarding leg strength, I think my ankles and calves have doubled in size since starting hockey. Can't zip up my boots anymore.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

better than mama posted:

How many years does it take to be able to do this? I have been working on them but I only can do a few & only when starting with momentum.

Regarding leg strength, I think my ankles and calves have doubled in size since starting hockey. Can't zip up my boots anymore.

The adult clinics/classes around here start people out at least attempting to do these sorts of edge drills. People can do them to varying degrees, progression really depends.

Also yes, my muck boots HURT when I try to wear them over my coverall pants. I've never been able to really wear tall boots because of playing hockey.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I've been skating almost my whole life and I've never come close to mastering all those drills.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Got into one of those "game after the game" things after the icehogs and wolves play.

:hfive: Owns bones. When I went to the Predators' camp a couple of months ago, it was an absolute BLAST.

Enjoy it!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

xzzy posted:

Nice! Congrats :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also I skated for 3 hours this morning.

Had the opportunity to go for four but it was with the "advanced" group and I really wanted to, but my legs were giving out on me. :negative:

Stupid body, why can't you be invincible.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Stupid body, why can't you be invincible.

Because then you'd be in the NHL. :v:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Pleads posted:

God Lake Placid owns.

First game in a month tonight, wooo.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Bad:Just had my instructional and pickup cancelled for tonight.
Good: One email later and I'm filling in at a different rink. Day saved!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do interference rules include tying up a guy's stick? Or maybe more significantly, is there a chance a ref will ever call it anyways? Reading the rules it doesn't say anything about whether the stick is fair game, it just talks about using your stick on the body to slow them down. The rules for hooking claim that stick to stick contact is always okay.

Say I got a teammate skating up ice with the puck, and I'm near an opponent who's chasing him. I get an angle to clamp down on his stick, either slowing him down or messing with his ability to make a play on the puck. I keep away from his hands and there's no body contact.

This certainly seems against the spirit of the interference rules, but doesn't seem explicitly prohibited.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
No LTP clinic this weekend, and I'm bummed! Considering checking out a pick-up game tomorrow (6am!) but I doubt I'm anywhere close to being ready for one.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I get to skate tonight for the first time since I got concussed and my wrist sprain seems to have cleared up also. I feel like I haven't played in a year and I haven't been able to shoot properly for like two years.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

xzzy posted:

Do interference rules include tying up a guy's stick? Or maybe more significantly, is there a chance a ref will ever call it anyways? Reading the rules it doesn't say anything about whether the stick is fair game, it just talks about using your stick on the body to slow them down. The rules for hooking claim that stick to stick contact is always okay.

Say I got a teammate skating up ice with the puck, and I'm near an opponent who's chasing him. I get an angle to clamp down on his stick, either slowing him down or messing with his ability to make a play on the puck. I keep away from his hands and there's no body contact.

This certainly seems against the spirit of the interference rules, but doesn't seem explicitly prohibited.

If I understand the scenario, you would be guilty of interference if you stopped trying to move forward with the play and instead decided to cross your stick over your opponent's stick. If you continue moving with the play and happen to choose a path that makes it really hard for the opponent to get to the puck, it would not be a penalty.

It is my impression that most of the interference calls are made when a defender ties up an attacking player who does not yet have the puck. A defender who is chasing down an attacker from behind and being denied this opportunity by a second attacker [you] is a bit different. You would have to grab a stick or arm or make it totally obvious that your making no effort to advance the play in order for me to call an interference.

Then again, I haven't reffed a game in over 10 years so take this with a grain of salt.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

I don't know what the rules are officially or whatever, but I have had this called on me. I tied up his stick and as and he tried to skate, I kept firm pressure on his stick and he kinda spun. Picked up 3 minutes. Ref told me I "tornadoed" him or something like that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

I get to skate tonight for the first time since I got concussed and my wrist sprain seems to have cleared up also. I feel like I haven't played in a year and I haven't been able to shoot properly for like two years.

Tournament ready.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

Tournament ready.

Yeah I hope that's not your drinking wrist.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

You slow him down away from the play, you're probably going to get whistled.

Should also be careful about choosing a path to try to deny him. If he has any speed on you and you obviously cut him off, you're probably going to get whistled. Just depends on speed difference.

Also not sure why you'd do this rather than get open for a pass. It kind of seems like a recipe for bunching up around the puck and being caught out of position on a turnover. Maybe I'm having a problem seeing it but this just feels like a penalty situation to me. I could be wrong though.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

You slow him down away from the play, you're probably going to get whistled.

Should also be careful about choosing a path to try to deny him. If he has any speed on you and you obviously cut him off, you're probably going to get whistled. Just depends on speed difference.

I would call it in these cases, if it were obviously slowing down the defender or if it were an obvious pick where you significantly changed your path to skate in front of him towards your player with the puck. There's really no reason for you to skate towards your own player who has the puck in this case so it'd be pretty obvious to a ref.

edit: It's pretty easy to get away with setting picks if you are skating to a position where you 'should' go in the game scenario. Like if I'm a forward I'll skate down low in our zone on a breakout and do little sharp curls and call for the puck right in front of forecheckers on their way to my defense all the time, which usually allows for the defender to carry the puck out themselves and really pisses off the forecheckers.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I do that too. It really pisses people off, you're right. And it only takes one or maybe two to give your puck carrying defenseman enough time and space to break out and start a rush.

Xzzy a safe way to avoid interference: if the player doesn't have the puck or isn't in your crease or slot, don't gently caress with them. Especially at lower levels where people fall from being sneezed at most poo poo is going to look worse than it is.