Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Brand spanking new DDS1 just sitting there at gamestop. :rock:

Course I grabbed that poo poo asap, first with Nocturne now this, getting super lucky with these titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Alteisen posted:

Brand spanking new DDS1 just sitting there at gamestop. :rock:

Course I grabbed that poo poo asap, first with Nocturne now this, getting super lucky with these titles.

Word of advice? Hunt as often as possible. Eat everybody. Even if it means prolonging a battle to whittle away at their health. The more you consume, the faster you learn skills. This game doesn't gently caress around--dungeons can have sharp difficulty increases from one to the next, and you'll be locked into some and left to flounder unprepared. You can always change your skills, so don't be afraid to experiment with loadouts--just remember that you should try to focus your characters as much as possible to take advantage of their stats.

Make sure you have your party members (and yourself) learn the opposing magic line--so an Ice weakness character should learn fire skills--so that you can acquire their resistance abilities.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I just picked up Nocturne and was wondering if any could tell me without spoilers how the endings work. Is it the type of game where all that determines the ending I get is a decision I make at the very end, or is it based on things I do throughout the game?

Also, does anyone have any stat advancement advice? I'm going with a physical build, but I've been told not to entirely neglect Magic. So I was just wondering what is a good level to get Magic too and in general the other stats as well.

Also, as a physical build, what attack skills should I be keeping an eye out for?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's an invisible counter towards each of the Reasons that go up based on who you agree with throughout the story. However the optional dungeon will lock you into one of the endings (the best one but still) if you complete it and walk through the final door.

For physical build tips: Keep focus, NEVER let that poo poo go because it is great. So is lunge, it says it does low damage but a focus'd lunge will do great damage basically throughout the entirety of the game until the really strong phys skills open up. Just throw a point into magic every so often, but since you can just get a decent +magic stat boost with certain magatama its not a big deal.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I managed to find a non exorbitantly priced copy of Devil Summoner: Soulless Army in the SA-mart. What sort of stuff should I be aware of before I start to play it? I know the basic rule of "fuse fuse fuse" but aside from the setting, I know essentially nothing about this game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's not an SMT game, but I figured this would be of interest to people: there's a fantranslation being worked on for the Generation Xth series. They're a spinoff of the Japanese Wizardry games that we never got to see, but they're so much like the original SMT games, it's amazing: strange monsters, crushing difficulty, dungeon crawling and a cyberpunk/dystopian twist to keep everything interesting. I've been hoping for a translation for a few years, and so far, this is not disappointing. The first alpha release for testers came out a few days ago, and they're looking for more testers or general help. If all goes well, there's another two games in the series to be translated (which is great, because each game lets you import/export your party like the classic Wiz series). Progress seems to be going swiftly, so it's worth keeping an eye on.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Coca Koala posted:

I managed to find a non exorbitantly priced copy of Devil Summoner: Soulless Army in the SA-mart. What sort of stuff should I be aware of before I start to play it? I know the basic rule of "fuse fuse fuse" but aside from the setting, I know essentially nothing about this game.

The rare items that permanently raise any attribute by one? Always use them on yourself rather than on your demons. The towns aren't safe you can get into fights basically everywhere, be prepared to switch out demons a lot. Just have a focus in mind where you always have one that's a strong healer, one that resists certain types of magic, etc.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's an invisible counter towards each of the Reasons that go up based on who you agree with throughout the story. However the optional dungeon will lock you into one of the endings (the best one but still) if you complete it and walk through the final door.

For physical build tips: Keep focus, NEVER let that poo poo go because it is great. So is lunge, it says it does low damage but a focus'd lunge will do great damage basically throughout the entirety of the game until the really strong phys skills open up. Just throw a point into magic every so often, but since you can just get a decent +magic stat boost with certain magatama its not a big deal.

The Reason questions are very obvious, there's some small ones, but most of them are major questions asked at certain periods of the story that cannot be misconstrued.

And Focus is very important, lunge actually lasted me until the point of getting Divine Shot, because I was taking on bosses with a Focus + Tarukaja lunge at that point and doing upwards of 1,000 damage. If you end up grinding out by the end, you can easily max all your stats, as the max level is 255 or something.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

In Nocturne are elemental resistances worth taking up a skill slot?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

kthegreat posted:

Nope, just keep switching between magatamas for the relevant elemental resist. I've always found that there were far too few slots to devote one to an elemental resist anyway, but it can be nice.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I apologize for the Kotaku link, but Soul Hackers is set for April 16.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

kthegreat posted:

For demons with weaknesses, certainly, and if you've got nothing better to put on Demi-Fiend and you want to replace a skill, sure, as a void or drain can really help with enemy turns.

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!

Artix74 posted:

I apologize for the Kotaku link, but Soul Hackers is set for April 16.

That's the day I get a 3DS to play it :)

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

In Nocturne are there any Demons or items or other such things that are permanently missable?

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

kthegreat posted:

In Nocturne are there any Demons or items or other such things that are permanently missable?

I think the items in the first Nihlo base area might be missable, because it locks up afterwards.
But all the demons can be made, as long as you evolve/clear the requirements.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

kthegreat posted:

Don't get rid of your Pixie you got at the start of the game. There's a room you can open near the end of the game which rewards you for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Don't get rid of your Pixie you got at the start of the game. There's a room you can open near the end of the game which rewards you for it.

To clarify what this means:

It is okay to FUSE the pixie, but do not SACRIFICE the pixie or any demon that you fused the pixie into. Remember which demon contains the original pixie.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ImpAtom posted:

It is okay to FUSE the pixie, but do not SACRIFICE the pixie or any demon that you fused the pixie into. Remember which demon contains the original pixie.

Luckily remembering is easy because it always appears at the top of the list.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I know people always say to do that since it's a pretty low effort thing to do, but it seriously is the absolute worst reward you could expect to get from a game-long quest. It's pretty much completely worthless by the time you get it.

Unless you REALLY loving love Pixie I guess.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

kthegreat posted:

The only ones that help are the instant death ones. Nothing like taking a stroll until some rear end in a top hat one shots you out of the blue.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And even those are mostly moot between magatama and endure.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

No you can sacrifice her too. The only way you can miss out is if you literally give her away or reject her offer to stay with you at the beginning of the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I know people always say to do that since it's a pretty low effort thing to do, but it seriously is the absolute worst reward you could expect to get from a game-long quest. It's pretty much completely worthless by the time you get it.

To be fair the 'reward' is about the laziest approach to opening all of the doors at the end of the game. Otherwise you actually have to do it the proper way and have a good spread of demons. Which admittedly isn't too hard, but it's definitely a little more effort.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

How is a free level 80 demon with straight 30 stats and a good skillset completely worthless? Sure, it has no real resistances but no weaknesses either, and most of the later bosses spam almighty attacks anyway so resistances are less valuable late game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

By the time you get there the *dynes are starting to get pretty anemic compared to the unique skills from the tyrants and other high end demons in addition to how hard it is to actually fuse them on to anything useful from such a low starting point. Plus by then there's only really only the endboss worth worrying about and anyone without debilitate, tarukaja or pierce is just dead weight against him.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 19, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Does anyone have that image of every Persona character grouped by arcana? I saw it here a while ago and can't find it.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

DeathBySpoon posted:

Does anyone have that image of every Persona character grouped by arcana? I saw it here a while ago and can't find it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

By the time you get there the *dynes are starting to get pretty anemic compared to the unique skills from the tyrants and other high end demons in addition to how hard it is to actually fuse them on to anything useful from such a low starting point. Plus by then there's only really only the endboss worth worrying about and anyone without debilitate, tarukaja or pierce is just dead weight against him.

Yup, that's more or less the issue. She's completely worthless for offense at that point, and even Daisoujou is a much better healer right out of the gate and he's a level 37 demon you've probably had for at least half the game already.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
But the super Pixie does come with a few open skillslots. So you can give her Pierce and Debilitate, if you want. Still not as boss as Metatron and Beelzebub, but close.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Daisoujou is pretty much the best demon in the game in terms of how long he's relevant (all loving game), so that's slightly unfair but it is pretty much the state of things for pixie.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Has it been announced what kind of combat is in Soul Hackers? I will get excited for it if combat doesn't take place on a grid. :3:

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Boten Anna posted:

Has it been announced what kind of combat is in Soul Hackers? I will get excited for it if combat doesn't take place on a grid. :3:

First-person row-based SMT2, IF..., Devil Summoner gameplay. No press-turn system.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Daisoujou is pretty much the best demon in the game in terms of how long he's relevant (all loving game), so that's slightly unfair but it is pretty much the state of things for pixie.

loving seriously. Has there even been a demon in any other SMT game who lasts as long as that guy?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

ImpAtom posted:

loving seriously. Has there even been a demon in any other SMT game who lasts as long as that guy?

At his age, I'm surprised Daisoujou can even get it up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Boten Anna posted:

Have you played Suikoden or Suikoden 2? It's kinda like that, except first person. It's nothing as finicky as Persona 1's battle system, since the only positioning you have to worry about is front row/back row.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

Black Frost in P4?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Have you played Suikoden or Suikoden 2? It's kinda like that, except first person. It's nothing as finicky as Persona 1's battle system, since the only positioning you have to worry about is front row/back row.

This sounds interesting then. For some reason I just can't do tactical RPGs. I couldn't stand the P1 remake just for the fighting, and despite trying a ton of times never got into FFT either. I'll have to keep my eye out, seems like something I might like if I don't expect Persona 5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Black Frost in P4?

Even that kind of trails off, it just lasts longer than anything else. Daisoujou was with me from the moment he was recruitable up until Lucifer.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Boten Anna posted:

This sounds interesting then. For some reason I just can't do tactical RPGs. I couldn't stand the P1 remake just for the fighting, and despite trying a ton of times never got into FFT either. I'll have to keep my eye out, seems like something I might like if I don't expect Persona 5.

I wouldn't call it "interesting" but it shouldn't actively work against your enjoyment of the game like P1's battle system. Here's a video of the tutorial dungeon so you can sort of get an idea of what it's like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUD-0ljHsec

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty easy to tell which one is sourced from the Pixie. It will always be the demon on the top of the list of Demons in your stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does anyone happen to have that image collage of all the silly stuff you can say as the protag in DeSu2?