Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

James loving Franklin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
When I saw Franklin on 21 (40) I knew he would at least bat out the innings. He cannot be played in tests until he decides whether he is a batsman or a bowler (answer: Batsman, so loving play like it!), but this display is exactly what was required of him today. That 1st 4 off the last over was beautiful, and makes me remember that he got Mumbai through the finals games of the CLT20 single-handedly. Franklin sucks when the outcome is predetermined but when it is just winnable he shines.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Mister Chief posted:

James loving Franklin.

What a player.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

Is there a good cricketer who isnt a massive oval office?

SIR Alastair Cook

:allears:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's not been knighted, yet.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

nzspambot posted:

SIR Alastair Cook

:allears:

He's let the lego hair grow a bit long hasn't he

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I cant wait for England to lose this ODI and Twenty20 series and Giles gets fired from a cannon and he never comes back loving yes I cant wait for that.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

We couldn't get rid of him when he was a player despite his constant shitness; he'll probably be employed forever.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thehappyprince posted:

We couldn't get rid of him when he was a player despite his constant shitness; he'll probably be employed forever.

Maybe they'll say that the ODI job is beneath his talents and just swap him and flower?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

He'll probably take over as coach of the test team when Flower steps down.

At first I was genuinely annoyed that he was becoming the ODI/T20 coach, and then shortly after I realised that I don't watch either of them so I'm ok with that.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

He'll probably take over as coach of the test team when Flower steps down.

There's no probably about it, that's what they've had planned for years. I don't know why they bother, last time they put this much thought into it we ended up with Peter Moores.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i'd kill myself and boycout the club

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
We'll still beat the aussies but even I wont be able to enjoy that.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Mister Chief posted:

James loving Franklin.

James Franklin and Nathan McCullum are pretty much our best limited overs players, so not that surprising.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

iajanus posted:

Not any Australians, anyway.

Not since Hussey retired anyway :smith:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

James Franklin and Nathan McCullum are pretty much our best limited overs players, so not that surprising.

No he isn't what the gently caress.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

No he isn't what the gently caress.

I think if you look back at the last few years year or so you'll find that he is.

ODI's since December 2010: batting average 44.08, SR 85.04 bowling is not so good (although sub 5 economy rate in the past year) but he isn't a bowler these days.
T20s in the same period: 23.53 average, 124.39 strike rate.

Given how poor we've been over that time, yeah he is one of our best limited overs players.

Ryder dismissed in the Otago v Jesse T20 final :woop:

fake edit for extended stat checking: Otago running through them now, 54/6 after 7. They deserve to win, hope they get it done.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
:siren: Australian collapse incoming :siren:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

PTizzle posted:

:siren: Australian collapse incoming :siren:

As if it ever stops.

Tony Inchpractice
Aug 30, 2011
Best thing about this is the commentators slowly lowering their expectations. Started at 250 runs being par on this pitch, now its down to 220-230. I honestly expect at some point to hear Mark Taylor go "120 is a competitive total here".

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Tony Inchpractice posted:

Best thing about this is the commentators slowly lowering their expectations. Started at 250 runs being par on this pitch, now its down to 220-230. I honestly expect at some point to hear Mark Taylor go "120 is a competitive total here".

I'm still laughing at Taylor saying we could get 250 when we were 4/20 last ODI.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

I think if you look back at the last few years year or so you'll find that he is.

ODI's since December 2010: batting average 44.08, SR 85.04 bowling is not so good (although sub 5 economy rate in the past year) but he isn't a bowler these days.
T20s in the same period: 23.53 average, 124.39 strike rate.

Given how poor we've been over that time, yeah he is one of our best limited overs players.

He had one really good series against India at the end of 2010 where he made 72*, 98* and 17* and almost everything else has been total poo poo. In the two years and 21 matches since he's averaged 28 and managed one half-century.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

lolstralia

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would someone please explain why Henriques is playing international cricket?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Cocksmith posted:

Would someone please explain why Henriques is playing international cricket?

Australia are poo poo.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He had one really good series against India at the end of 2010 where he made 72*, 98* and 17* and almost everything else has been total poo poo. In the two years and 21 matches since he's averaged 28 and managed one half-century.

I picked that as a logical point since before that series he didn't play for 6 months. If you want to arbitrarily cut that series off then an average of 28.50 with a strike rate of 81.23 is fine for his role in the side, primarily as a 'finisher' in at 5, 6 or 7 and would stack up just fine with similar role players from other teams. Remember I'm not saying he's world class or anything, just that on recent performances he is one of our best limited overs players - hardly an outrageous statement since we have been awful and he has been a good performer in his role. Throw in his stellar IPL performances and yes, James Franklin is one of our best limited overs players. Who would you rank above him in the current squad for recent performances?

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 20, 2013

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Are these umpires loving deaf.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Probably. They don't even have a massive noisy crowd to use as an excuse for not hearing things.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

well if your massive oval office for a captain didn't waste a review then you'd be all noice then mate

in conclusion drop Captain Cuntface Clarke

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

Who would you rank above him in the current squad for recent performances?

Over the last two years, just running down the last team list:

Guptill averaged 39 with 9 half-centuries and 1 century.
Nicol averaged 34 with 2 half-centuries and 2 centuries.
Watling averaged 57 with 4 half-centuries.
Williamson averaged 35 with 3 half-centuries and 1 century.
McCullum averged 40 with 4 half-centuries and 2 centuries.
Taylor averaged 49 with 3 half-centuries and 3 centuries.

So everyone.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 20, 2013

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

If Clarke was batting at 9 like he should be then Warner would have had a challenge to use

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

nzspambot posted:

well if your massive oval office for a captain didn't waste a review then you'd be all noice then mate

in conclusion drop Captain Cuntface Clarke

Yes Clarke wasted a review but its not asking too much to expect an umpire to get Warners right. The other decision was a little finer but Warner smashed the ball.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Just loving automate every dismissal decision and get it over with.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Starc is a real handy tail batsmen. I hope it continues and he can become like Johnson, except a much better and consistent bowler.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Bat Starc at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, & 11.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Windmill Hut posted:

Starc is a real handy tail batsmen. I hope it continues and he can become like Johnson, except a much better and consistent bowler.

He's also not a oval office of a person, which helps.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Yes Clarke wasted a review but its not asking too much to expect an umpire to get Warners right. The other decision was a little finer but Warner smashed the ball.

yeah nah tiny faint edge on that one

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Fair enough then.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

ShoeFly posted:

He's also not a oval office of a person, which helps.

He looks like one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Steve Waugh is clearly the best batsmen in the side, why is he not at 3?

• Locked thread