Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

is good! it needs a better sounding snare though, something tighter. i like the synth stab and guitar a lot though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I'm always sad when THNDRTHF's macros aren't links :(

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

is good! it needs a better sounding snare though, something tighter. i like the synth stab and guitar a lot though

Thanks dude. Here is that beat with a better snare and some scratch rap verses + a mix/master.

https://soundcloud.com/doubl-e/clouds/s-smqzk

whoknew fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 13, 2013

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Shovelbearer posted:

I'm always sad when THNDRTHF's macros aren't links :(

sorry but thats cute, maybe soon

Odnet
Mar 17, 2005
Hollerate.
Did this today. Any opinions (good or bad) would be cool.

https://soundcloud.com/odnet/full-bars

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Over the years I have, through an odd series of events, managed to become friends with some rappers and rap groups, and I was always able to pick their brains about beats/sampling because it has been a huge interest of mine, ever since I figured out that Gravediggaz' "Diary of a Madman"; an incredibly hardcore and horrifying song/beat was sampled from something as cookie-cutter as Johnny Mathis:

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/vi...is-No%20Love%20(But%20Your%20Love)/

Anyway, I have been picking out samples for a few months now, simply by listening to the most obscure crap I can find on Youtube (movie soundtracks, records form the 30s-60s no one owned, etc.) in hopes that I am also finding stuff others haven't already sampled.

I gave Ableton Live a try and so far I like it. I find that I will be able to get good at this if at first I learn how to sample a song I am already familiar with. This way I can figure out what the process is. This video helped a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBIreLu0PWQ
(sidenote: that Chubby Checker sample is genius...drat DJ Muggs is a prodigy)

Anyway, I asked one of the guys I know why he still uses an MPC 2000XL when all this great software is available, and he said the following: because you can capture any little snare, high-hat, drum loop, bass, etc. and using the pads, make the beat yourself instead of relying on finding a drum loop that matches your sample perfectly, which can be hard. The pads allow you to have physical user input rather than looking at a waveform".

Makes sense, but it seems like a HUGE waste of money for me to go find a working MPC 2000XL just to use the pads for drums and such. Is there a much cheaper option that could work for me? I feel like something with just some pads that allows samples to be loaded to each one is something I can make with a soldering iron and a used computer keyboard. :D

Is he using an MPC 2000XL still just because he's used it forever now and is stuck in that mindset? Or would that really make a difference or make this easier? Do you Windows users recommend something instead of Ableton Live? What do you guys "dig" for to find samples; or is that a trade secret you wouldn't want to reveal? I'm personally just doing this as a hobby, so any info would be really appreciated!

edit: sorry if this is the wrong thread for advice since it seems like everyone is posting stuff; if this is in the wrong place let me know and I will :getout:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 14, 2013

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Over the years I have, through an odd series of events, managed to become friends with some rappers and rap groups, and I was always able to pick their brains about beats/sampling because it has been a huge interest of mine, ever since I figured out that Gravediggaz' "Diary of a Madman"; an incredibly hardcore and horrifying song/beat was sampled from something as cookie-cutter as Johnny Mathis:

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/vi...is-No%20Love%20(But%20Your%20Love)/

Anyway, I have been picking out samples for a few months now, simply by listening to the most obscure crap I can find on Youtube (movie soundtracks, records form the 30s-60s no one owned, etc.) in hopes that I am also finding stuff others haven't already sampled.

I gave Ableton Live a try and so far I like it. I find that I will be able to get good at this if at first I learn how to sample a song I am already familiar with. This way I can figure out what the process is. This video helped a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBIreLu0PWQ
(sidenote: that Chubby Checker sample is genius...drat DJ Muggs is a prodigy)

Anyway, I asked one of the guys I know why he still uses an MPC 2000XL when all this great software is available, and he said the following: because you can capture any little snare, high-hat, drum loop, bass, etc. and using the pads, make the beat yourself instead of relying on finding a drum loop that matches your sample perfectly, which can be hard. The pads allow you to have physical user input rather than looking at a waveform".

Makes sense, but it seems like a HUGE waste of money for me to go find a working MPC 2000XL just to use the pads for drums and such. Is there a much cheaper option that could work for me? I feel like something with just some pads that allows samples to be loaded to each one is something I can make with a soldering iron and a used computer keyboard. :D

Is he using an MPC 2000XL still just because he's used it forever now and is stuck in that mindset? Or would that really make a difference or make this easier? Do you Windows users recommend something instead of Ableton Live? What do you guys "dig" for to find samples; or is that a trade secret you wouldn't want to reveal? I'm personally just doing this as a hobby, so any info would be really appreciated!

edit: sorry if this is the wrong thread for advice since it seems like everyone is posting stuff; if this is in the wrong place let me know and I will :getout:

Nah, that's not true. As far as I am concerned, sampling/chopping something into an EXS-24 sampler in logic pro is way easier than learning some obscure machine. You just need a controller if you want to hit the pads. But honestly usually I end up drawing notes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you for the response!

whoknew posted:

You just need a controller if you want to hit the pads.

This is what I was thinking. What would I look for to buy something like this? How is each pad assigned a sample? I am assuming it is either a USB or MIDI device, and not something with headphone jacks on it.

I see MIDI thrown around a lot and the only reason that throws me off is because I associate MIDI with those 3KB files I used to download when I wanted to listen to video game music when I was 14 but MP3 wasn't a thing yet :)

I am guessing MIDI can also control full WAV samples too?

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Some guys in this thread like Maschine, I use a M-Audio Axiom Pro keyboard which has 8 (pretty lovely) pads on the top right of the keyboard. Whether you get a USB device or a MIDI device (which you will plug into a USB MIDI interface, most likely), you'll be using MIDI to control your DAW. MIDI is a musical control protocol, it can trigger any kind of instrument, sample, or effect. MIDI files contain MIDI data but that doesn't mean that your system's synthesizer is the only thing that can be played by MIDI.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

You can do this with Ableton too. You don't need to find drum loops. You can play out drums from whatever sample you want.
You can take a drum loop or whatever and slice it to a track where you can play each part button-by-button.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
i just like hardware better, i dont have any good reason for that, i just think its more fun

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Who Gotch Ya posted:

You can do this with Ableton too. You don't need to find drum loops. You can play out drums from whatever sample you want.
You can take a drum loop or whatever and slice it to a track where you can play each part button-by-button.

Thanks so much; I didn't really know this. I thought Ableton was more of a "what you see is what you get" type of thing where the drums would only show up where I threw it into the entire composition. Like if I didn't see the waveform on a nice big grid, I'd hear nothing. I wasn't aware, so thanks again!

whoknew posted:

Some guys in this thread like Maschine, I use a M-Audio Axiom Pro keyboard which has 8 (pretty lovely) pads on the top right of the keyboard. Whether you get a USB device or a MIDI device (which you will plug into a USB MIDI interface, most likely), you'll be using MIDI to control your DAW. MIDI is a musical control protocol, it can trigger any kind of instrument, sample, or effect. MIDI files contain MIDI data but that doesn't mean that your system's synthesizer is the only thing that can be played by MIDI.

Maschine does indeed look awesome. I am seeing two versions though; and they both have a huge price difference. Does anyone have any opinions on the cheaper MK2 by Maschine?

Basically my big issue is something like this. Check out this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5DrnvRWaw

now I am not an idiot; that song was done by The Bomb Squad (Hank Shocklee) of Public Enemy fame so I'm not dense enough to think that even in 20 years I can be that good. But the bass line in that song is what makes the entire song in my opinion because it's so fun and happy, and no one has been able to find that bass sample; which leads me to believe it was "made up" for the song. I am starting to think that if I want to be able to come up with something like that, I'd need to be messing around with a physical object while listening to it; which I am guessing Maschine or the MPC2000XL would provide for me. I hope.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

i found some norwegian prog rock and in the middle of it they just broke into yodeling. so obviously i went and built a track around it:

Basically my big issue is something like this. Check out this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5DrnvRWaw

now I am not an idiot; that song was done by The Bomb Squad (Hank Shocklee) of Public Enemy fame so I'm not dense enough to think that even in 20 years I can be that good. But the bass line in that song is what makes the entire song in my opinion because it's so fun and happy, and no one has been able to find that bass sample; which leads me to believe it was "made up" for the song. I am starting to think that if I want to be able to come up with something like that, I'd need to be messing around with a physical object while listening to it; which I am guessing Maschine or the MPC2000XL would provide for me. I hope.

could just be crate digging.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Chwoka posted:

i found some norwegian prog rock and in the middle of it they just broke into yodeling. so obviously i went and built a track around it:

Haha, I thought I knew what song you were talking about before I even listened. Hocus Pocus. Nice.

destroya
May 23, 2006
I'm the coolest.

now I am not an idiot; that song was done by The Bomb Squad (Hank Shocklee) of Public Enemy fame so I'm not dense enough to think that even in 20 years I can be that good.

I'll never understand this line of thinking :confused:

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

destroya posted:

i used to think like this and then i realized nobody else was gonna be my biggest fan if i wasnt

amazing what a little bit of cockiness can do for ya

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

Chwoka posted:

You are truly something special

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
YO i forgot if there's bay area cats in here but if there are -- i just had a support act cancel for my show on 2/1 and i'm looking to fill a slot. hit me up with a PM with some links to your poo poo if you're interested. show is in san francisco at neck of the woods (used to be the rockit room)

destroya
May 23, 2006
I'm the coolest.

Freddie Gibbis posted:

i used to think like this and then i realized nobody else was gonna be my biggest fan if i wasnt

i'm definitely one of my top 3 fans. if you don't think you're unfuckwitable or plan to be in the near future you might as well quit now IMHO

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

destroya posted:

i'm definitely one of my top 3 fans. if you don't think you're unfuckwitable or plan to be in the near future you might as well quit now IMHO

lol this is probably a good point. i'm all up on my own tip lately but if there aren't artists that you can listen to and go "drat I WISH I COULD DO THAT" you've lost your drive. everybody needs to aspire to somethin. for me right now it's shabazz palaces lol

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~
actually that's not true, as a vocalist, elzhi consistently smacks me back down to size, just listening to that poo poo is a reminder of the stuff i need to strive for etc etc

ps posting while drunk, don't tell

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

I don't have irrational confidence in what I do, but I don't sabotage my own work by presenting it in a manner that sets someone up to think it's bad, either. It's good to think you're doing your best, but there's always better...

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Freddie Gibbis posted:

i'm like the worstperson when it coems to self confidence and self promotion (yet somehow i think i'm better thane verone else) but i keep listening to my tracks and wondering "why the gently caress isn't anyone else listening to this".
and the only elzhi i ever listened to was the elmatic thing but i really liked it :)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

destroya posted:

Well it's more that the dude (Hank Shocklee) has tens of thousands of records in a warehouse somewhere; plus I think it's some ridiculous mind skill. Using the same youtube link I provided (Young Black Teenagers - "Tap the Bottle") check out where the major sample that makes the song kick so much rear end (IMHO) is from:

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/187917/Young%20Black%20Teenagers-Tap%20the%20Bottle_Otis%20Redding-Try%20a%20Little%20Tenderness/

I mean come on; seriously? I could have listened to that song 100 times and would have never caught that. It's barely even audible; Otis Redding himself could listen to "Tap the Bottle" and wouldn't have noticed it came from one of his songs.

Here's another good example (and keep in mind I am a huge DJ Muggs fan; him and RZA are probably my top 2 favorites):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzXPgWrgEkk

I mean even after knowing what a mega-hit "Jump Around" is, I still listen to that sample in Popeye and can't grasp how Muggs even came up with the idea to loop that tiny part of the song. Was the man merely looping 4 seconds of every song on every record he owned until something like that came out? I am definitely getting better at recognizing good samples but holy hell is that on another level I can't even comprehend.

destroya posted:

I am going to try. Considering the Maschine; still trying to distinguish the differences between the Mikro and the other, much more expensive model.

edit: holy crap, the Maschine is a Mass Storage Device that I can just drop samples to???? :stare:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 15, 2013

Heliophage
Aug 28, 2006
Devourer of Suns
I have played a lot of music and I have listened to a lot of hip hop but I haven't really combined the two until recently. I would love to get some critiques on my recent forays, both of which I used very different methods to produce:

http://soundcloud.com/lululidless/mashingun
http://soundcloud.com/lululidless/horrorshow

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

I am going to try. Considering the Maschine; still trying to distinguish the differences between the Mikro and the other, much more expensive model.

edit: holy crap, the Maschine is a Mass Storage Device that I can just drop samples to???? :stare:

Unless they changed things dramatically for Maschine MK 2(I don't think they did), no, it's not a mass storage device and it's worthless when it isn't connected to a computer(or controlling something else via midi).

Maschine is awesome. You were asking about how people find those really tiny snippets of songs... it's easy to do with something like Maschine/MPC.

One of the most straightforward ways of using it for sampling is to record something, and then you can have it automatically assign different portions of what you sampled to your 16 pads, and then you can play them however you want.

Being able to "play" is a huge benefit to MPC/Maschine as well. There's something really tactile about banging on pads. You get instant feedback as opposed to drawing notes with your mouse. With Maschine I also find it to be really easy & fast to edit the samples that are assigned to different pads -- if you're playing and you notice one of your pads is bleeding into the next one or whatever, you can adjust the part of the original clip it's playing really easily.

Watch this video if you want to see into Maschine from a hip hop perspective a little deeper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXs3qp8Ip_U

edit: i like rjd2's little "lpf and duplicate" trick in here too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAKMswEa2Yg -- this just gives you an idea of the kind of workflow you can have with a hardware device

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 16, 2013

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Heliophage posted:

I have played a lot of music and I have listened to a lot of hip hop but I haven't really combined the two until recently. I would love to get some critiques on my recent forays, both of which I used very different methods to produce:

http://soundcloud.com/lululidless/mashingun

Are you looking for anyone to rap over this?

I like the second one too but it seems more interlude-ish if I'm thinking rap-wise.

I'd love to at least listen to the first one in rotation and see what I come up with if you can send it or enable downloads. My email is streetdoctors.com@gmail.com

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ashgromnies posted:

Unless they changed things dramatically for Maschine MK 2(I don't think they did), no, it's not a mass storage device and it's worthless when it isn't connected to a computer(or controlling something else via midi).

Maschine is awesome. You were asking about how people find those really tiny snippets of songs... it's easy to do with something like Maschine/MPC.

One of the most straightforward ways of using it for sampling is to record something, and then you can have it automatically assign different portions of what you sampled to your 16 pads, and then you can play them however you want.

Being able to "play" is a huge benefit to MPC/Maschine as well. There's something really tactile about banging on pads. You get instant feedback as opposed to drawing notes with your mouse. With Maschine I also find it to be really easy & fast to edit the samples that are assigned to different pads -- if you're playing and you notice one of your pads is bleeding into the next one or whatever, you can adjust the part of the original clip it's playing really easily.

Watch this video if you want to see into Maschine from a hip hop perspective a little deeper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXs3qp8Ip_U

edit: i like rjd2's little "lpf and duplicate" trick in here too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAKMswEa2Yg -- this just gives you an idea of the kind of workflow you can have with a hardware device

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

Seriously; very informative, and really appreciated. I have been reading up on Maschine since this thread recommended it to me. The only thing I am a bit lost on is that other people have said it works well without being hooked up to a PC. Obviously at some point it would need to be but the idea that I'd be able to load it up with the songs I found sample worthy, sit back on my couch, and throw on some headphones would be awesome if not needing to be hooked up to a PC at the time. Do you find this realistic to use in this way?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

Seriously; very informative, and really appreciated. I have been reading up on Maschine since this thread recommended it to me. The only thing I am a bit lost on is that other people have said it works well without being hooked up to a PC. Obviously at some point it would need to be but the idea that I'd be able to load it up with the songs I found sample worthy, sit back on my couch, and throw on some headphones would be awesome if not needing to be hooked up to a PC at the time. Do you find this realistic to use in this way?

No, when you buy Maschine you are paying mostly for software. The controller is just a USB MIDI controller, no brains at all. It doesn't even take a power cable.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/maschine/?page=277

Heliophage
Aug 28, 2006
Devourer of Suns

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Are you looking for anyone to rap over this?

I like the second one too but it seems more interlude-ish if I'm thinking rap-wise.

I'd love to at least listen to the first one in rotation and see what I come up with if you can send it or enable downloads. My email is streetdoctors.com@gmail.com

I have enabled downloads, its fair game for anyone who wants to. I'd just ask that you don't post them anywhere but here until I have had a chance to listen.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ashgromnies posted:

No, when you buy Maschine you are paying mostly for software. The controller is just a USB MIDI controller, no brains at all. It doesn't even take a power cable.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/maschine/?page=277

Wow; this shows how truly dense I am. I even Googled for images of the back of the MK2, and saw what I thought were audio input and output jacks because they look very similar if not identical to the jacks a professional microphone I used to have also has. I didn't realize those were just MIDI jacks because I kind of thought all MIDI jacks were the ones my old sound cards used to have for game controllers :saddowns: .

Also I read while researching this thing that it has several gigs of onboard space and has tons of drum samples already on it. I guess I read it wrong and the unit doesn't actually have any samples on the physical unit itself.

I'm a gigantic nerdlord so I'm in front of the computer all the time anyway; I just thought it would have been nice to load pad 1 with one sample (obviously this part would require a PC) and load pad 2 with another sample and so on and so on and not have to be at the computer/gently caress with software to experiment with beats :unsmith:

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Wow; this shows how truly dense I am. I even Googled for images of the back of the MK2, and saw what I thought were audio input and output jacks because they look very similar if not identical to the jacks a professional microphone I used to have also has. I didn't realize those were just MIDI jacks because I kind of thought all MIDI jacks were the ones my old sound cards used to have for game controllers :saddowns: .

Also I read while researching this thing that it has several gigs of onboard space and has tons of drum samples already on it. I guess I read it wrong and the unit doesn't actually have any samples on the physical unit itself.

I'm a gigantic nerdlord so I'm in front of the computer all the time anyway; I just thought it would have been nice to load pad 1 with one sample (obviously this part would require a PC) and load pad 2 with another sample and so on and so on and not have to be at the computer/gently caress with software to experiment with beats :unsmith:

It doesn't have a memory. The whatever gigs of samples it comes with are on a DVD you install on your computer. One of the advantages of maschine is in fact that you can use a computer (w/mouse and keyboard) when you want, and bang pads when you want. It is the best of both worlds.

This is all really making me want a maschine.

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012
I've been lurking this thread for a while so I just thought I'd finally post.

I've been trying to make beats for a few months now, I am not really proud of anything I've made yet so I don't feel like throwing up a link to my soundcloud just yet, but some of the stuff I've heard in this thread has been really good.

I started without a musical bone in my body and now I am learning the piano which I would like to incorporate into beatmaking eventually.

Anyway some of the stuff posted here is really good, hopefully I'll have something I feel I can post in a few months. My current setup is a Korg Kronos workstation. I was looking for a decent keyboard to learn on, and it had the hammer action I was looking for, and a sequencer and the ability to use it as a midi controller if I need to was an added incentive.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

They have an iPhone app that lets you kinda do that, you can export samples from your computer to it and it's ok for tapping out beats. You can then open the files you make on the desktop Maschine(I have literally never done this because I've never made anything worth keeping on the iOS app, maybe you would). You can't draw notes in the app which is kind of annoying if you don't have perfect timing when tapping on your phone's screen. It's only $.99 so whatever, it's a fun toy.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

:cmon:

you could get a decent computer all your software and a shitload of wendy's bacon cheeseburgers for that kind of money dayum

just sayin, good luck with beatmaking though, if you figure out the piano you could use those skills to make bangin rear end beats easy you just have to get yourself some rhythm

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
FREE SATTELITE HIGH Y'ALL

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Dr. Octagon is my new poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVIKMZIRKaU

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
whos doctor octogon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eazcbehl7es
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo_UeGB626E

invision fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 21, 2013

• Locked thread