Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ZearothK posted:

One of the small details I've always found most fascinating in Deus Ex is the fact that smoking a cigarrette gives you a steadier aim while using scoped weapons.
The Metal Gear Solid series is full of small details like that for so many things. That's actually one of them (in one of the games).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ZearothK posted:

One of the small details I've always found most fascinating in Deus Ex is the fact that smoking a cigarrette gives you a steadier aim while using scoped weapons.

How many packs does it take to get to Master level?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Hang on, cigarettes have an actual use besides making JC look cool in front of kids?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Hang on, cigarettes have an actual use besides making JC look cool in front of kids?
You really need to watch the Deus Ex speedrun before anyone spoils it for you.

E: Really too bad the speedrun doesn't seem to use even the Kentie DirectX renderer.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 9, 2013

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Hogburto posted:

E: Really too bad the speedrun doesn't seem to use even the Kentie DirectX renderer.

The speedrun predates Kentie's renderer by a couple of years.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Holy hell, that is really a thing?! I wonder how long it will be until I go a year without finding something new out about this game.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Hogburto posted:

If its the trick to save your stuff, I saw it ages ago. But that was exploiting a glitch, not a practical use for a normal playthrough.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think saving your stuff depends on suiciding with cigarettes but it lets him suicide at the first moment that dying will warp him to the jail cell.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

If its the trick to save your stuff, I saw it ages ago. But that was exploiting a glitch, not a practical use for a normal playthrough.

No, the trick to saving your stuff is just to drop all of your equipment in the split second between spawning in the MJ12 cell and when the game steals all of the equipment out of your inventory. That has nothing to do with cigarettes.

The trick with cigarettes is to get down to very low torso health and then smoke them for an ultra-high-speed suicide instead of waiting for MIBs to kill you.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The great part was how he got down to such low torso health several stages earlier, even skipping quick heals at the med-bot and it just seems ridiculous all the way up until the masterstroke.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Baron Bifford posted:

Remember the chip upgrade every augmented person was told to get later in the game? It's programmed to gently caress up your brain with a simple remote command.

I know that, but the way it was described sounded more like it was supposed to cause hallucinations and paranoia rather than total psychosis. Surely those affected should have remembered basic skills?

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

McDowell posted:

What are you talking about? In Area 51 you have a choice of objectives leading to each ending. Button pressing is involved yes, but it was much better than HR where you defeat the boss and just have three buttons to choose.

Man, the dumb way that the ending of the first game was handled has been a huge complaint basically forever. They're both pretty bad.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also, the stealth augs (like cloaking) are sometimes game-breakingly good (for example: cloaking) and if you play a stealth-oriented game (by taking cloaking) your augs (cloaking) will let you avoid most encounters.

Cloaking was no good until it was maxed out and you had all the battery upgrades. The Reflex Booster was the best upgrade in the game, perhaps in any game

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The ending mechanics of all the Deus Ex games have never been a strong point. Invisible War has the most interactive since once you shut down the UC in Deus Ex there's no real challenge since there's no enemies.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Alright I'm in Area 51 and I don't know which ending to pick. I usually go with the Illuminati because Tong's way is overkill, and merging with Helios makes it seem like the AI has taken over the world.

Also I've been playing with Shifter mod but just found out about Biomod. Can I just install biomod over shifter? Or do I need to reinstall Deus Ex again and start from scratch?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Biomod files should overwrite any of the Shifter files that change the game. Worst case scenario, you try it, it doesn't work and you reinstall.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Party Plane Jones posted:

Once you shut down the UC in Deus Ex there's no real challenge since there's no enemies.

Yeah, well I never figured out how to do that, so it was a spider-filled nightmare for me. Player interaction! :toot:

Yesterday I sat down to make some progress and accidentally played for 10 straight hours to the ending. I really hate that this game could do that to me.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
For those of you complaining about the boss battles in DXHR, there's a very simple non-cheat method I use that makes the bosses a non-issue, even on the hardest difficulty setting:

Three to four frag mines. You don't even have to buy them, just disarm and take along the ones you find in the boobytrapped rooms through which you have to pass. When the boss battle happens, just take cover and start lobbing them at their feet, and the entire encounter is over in less than ten seconds. I usually keep six just for overkill purposes.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Hard Clumping posted:

Deus Ex was wonderful for how much stuff was available to be discovered by those who dug a little deeper.
Yeah, exactly this is why Deus Ex will stick with me for a long, long time.

I totally believed Maggie Chow's sob story about Paul and was out the door to break into a heavily-guarded Chinese police safe, but so far Deus Ex groomed me to double-check every computer terminal I came across. So I poked around her security camera system and what's this? Why is there a creepy laboratory view? Why is her username "Agent Chow?" Is this... an MJ12 terminal?!

Like, holy poo poo, I could've played a completely different game if I hadn't stumbled across that clue. Years. This game will stay in my mind for years.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Mr. Jive posted:

I totally believed Maggie Chow's sob story about Paul and was out the door to break into a heavily-guarded Chinese police safe,

The funny thing is that you can break into that Chinese police safe, and inside is evidence that Maggie Chow works with MJ12.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I don't know I was pretty sure that Chow was an MJ12 operative before I ever set foot in that apartment.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't know I was pretty sure that Chow was an MJ12 operative before I ever set foot in that apartment.

It's that drat MJ12 dude who keeps coughing when you're in the elevator. Blows open the whole conspiracy just because he can't take a DayQuil or some poo poo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

Walton Simons doesn't appear until late enough that, on your first playthrough, you've probably forgotten he's in the intro by then. And he makes it readily apparent that he's a real bastard in any case. However, there's a secret room at the end of the tutorial with a holoprojector that triggers a congratulatory conversation with Bob Page.

So if you found that you go right into the intro seeing the nice guy who has a big stake in your development being evil :stare:

I thought Simmons was supposed to be JC or Paul or something at first. :iiam:

StandardVC10 posted:

It's that drat MJ12 dude who keeps coughing when you're in the elevator. Blows open the whole conspiracy just because he can't take a DayQuil or some poo poo.

What broke it for me was the "Dark and serious" line, when Paul isn't really either.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 20, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Jive posted:

Yeah, exactly this is why Deus Ex will stick with me for a long, long time.

I totally believed Maggie Chow's sob story about Paul and was out the door to break into a heavily-guarded Chinese police safe, but so far Deus Ex groomed me to double-check every computer terminal I came across. So I poked around her security camera system and what's this? Why is there a creepy laboratory view? Why is her username "Agent Chow?" Is this... an MJ12 terminal?!

Like, holy poo poo, I could've played a completely different game if I hadn't stumbled across that clue. Years. This game will stay in my mind for years.
She walks past Simons and Page in the intro. I didn't catch that until a second playthrough.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Alright you fuckers you've done it I'm going to have to play through it again. Might go fully non-lethal for once although that usually goes out the window as soon as I meet MJ12 cause they deserve to die, or I might do the total opposite and judiciously murder everyone.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Try a non-interaction playthrough. No kills, no knockouts, no alerts, nothing.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Play through with high swimming skills.

Yeah, it's kinda useless, but there's a few one-off locations that you can find by swimming and no other way, so you'll probably see something new.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Anatharon posted:

What broke it for me was the "Dark and serious" line, when Paul isn't really either.

That's the way you're supposed to figure it out. I think in the Deus Ex Bible Paul's described as "flamboyant".

Honestly, I don't think it really came through all that well, but he's certainly a whole lot less dull than JC.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

qntm posted:

Play through with high swimming skills.

Yeah, it's kinda useless, but there's a few one-off locations that you can find by swimming and no other way, so you'll probably see something new.

But all of those locations have rebreathers nearby. They made swimming completely useless.

revolverjgw
Aug 12, 2009

Taff it all
Whenever somebody asks me what the most useful skills are in this game, I always urge them to focus on swimming. Puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trained swimming is worth getting. It's cheap and saves time.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Anatharon posted:

I don't know how you could tell.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are you supposed to get skill points from enemy takedowns, or are they only rewarded for completing objectives and exploring?

E: I have Shifter installed (at least the Biomod/Shifter combopack), but I don't seem to be getting extra points.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 21, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Only from objectives and exploring, unless you have Shifter installed.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hard Clumping posted:

For those of you complaining about the boss battles in DXHR, there's a very simple non-cheat method I use that makes the bosses a non-issue, even on the hardest difficulty setting:

Three to four frag mines. You don't even have to buy them, just disarm and take along the ones you find in the boobytrapped rooms through which you have to pass. When the boss battle happens, just take cover and start lobbing them at their feet, and the entire encounter is over in less than ten seconds. I usually keep six just for overkill purposes.

It's not the difficulty that bothers people, even on the highest setting they go down pretty easily with a few techniques (I like spamming typhoon). It's just that they're boring. You have no real options. Cant handle them stealthily (you can try but they have so many techniques to flush you out it might as well not exist), you cant talk your way out of them (or even talk them down to make the fight easier somehow) it's just a straight up cutscene out of nowhere and damage a sack of hit points. It feels very Un-Deus Ex.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

AXE COP posted:

I don't know how you could tell.

Partially because he doesn't speak in a monotone and partially because I saw the recut before playing DE and I keep imagining him saying stuff like "Prod with the prod!". :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Male Man posted:

That's the way you're supposed to figure it out. I think in the Deus Ex Bible Paul's described as "flamboyant".

Honestly, I don't think it really came through all that well, but he's certainly a whole lot less dull than JC.

Yeah, he really doesn't come through as flamboyant at all. He takes his job seriously and is very responsible, tells JC off for being a murderous douchebag, and is always a moral person.

"Dark and serious" is a perfectly adequate description of Paul, as opposed to "dark and loving insane," which would be JC's.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Alpha Protocol is on sale at GreenManGaming. Steam key for $3.00 with the voucher code GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK.

"Will I like this game?" If you are reading a Deus Ex thread, the answer is probably "Yes."

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Fun fact about The Nameless Mod: I posted on Planet Deus Ex back around 2000 or so, so there's a character in the game based on me. I didn't play very far in, but he's named Glottis and he sells weapons in alleyways or something.

Hogburto posted:

Alpha Protocol is on sale at GreenManGaming. Steam key for $3.00 with the voucher code GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK.

"Will I like this game?" If you are reading a Deus Ex thread, the answer is probably "Yes."

I didn't like it :shrug:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Alpha Protocol is really well-written but the gameplay and graphics are both awful messes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Alpha Protocol is really well-written but the gameplay and graphics are both awful messes.

While I found DE's graphics kinda charming, AP's are just outdated. It's the only game that really does respond to every single thing you do, though, as far as I'm aware.