Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

bartok posted:

Is Unchained Blades or Crimson Shroud any good? I am looking for a good JRPG I don't know anything about Unchained Blades but I read that Crimson Shroud uses a dice roll mechanic that sounds interesting.

Unchained Blades is a dungeon crawler with a healthy amount of plot, but will require you to grind like a motherfucker at times. Unless you absolutely have to have one now, you're better off waiting for Etrian Odyssey 4 at the end of February. Crimson Shroud, on the other hand, is pretty unique. It's basically literally a D+D campaign, and takes ~8 hours to finish. It's one of those things where you're getting exactly what the premise sounds like, so if it sounds cool, go for it. It helps that it's only 8 bucks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Gold Nunchuck is back once again on Club Nintendo. Grab one ASAP if you weren't able to before the new year!

EDIT: https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/29508.do

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo PAL-land dudes, both the full game and demo for ZombiU are now available on the Wii U eShop, but bear in mind that you can only download 'em after hours thanks to Nintendo's adherence to that ridiculous German law.

Also, Mighty Switch Force HD is 30% off as of now, according to the WayForward twitter. Presumably that's only in NA.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Gold Nunchuck is back once again on Club Nintendo. Grab one ASAP if you weren't able to before the new year!

EDIT: https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/29508.do

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it vanished again before the week ends.

In which case they'll keep it retired for another 4 months or so before bringing them out again.

I would get one personally, but I don't have a gold Wiimote to go with it so the coins would be wasted and I'm not keen on selling things off.

That, and I'm 350 coins short. I should just save up for G&W Collection 2 since that's the last cool thing I want.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Anyone know if the Mario hat pouch would be big enough for a 3DS with Nyko Power Grip attached?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo PAL-land dudes, both the full game and demo for ZombiU are now available on the Wii U eShop, but bear in mind that you can only download 'em after hours thanks to Nintendo's adherence to that ridiculous German law.
Speaking of that pesky German law, has anyone tried switching regions to say, Australia, where the law doesn't apply, and downloading it there?

Clearly it wouldn't be worthwhile for purchases what with the ridiculous prices for games we have here, but for the odd demo that falls under that law, it could be helpful.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think you can switch countries on Wii U like you can on 3DS - as far as I know, you're stuck with whichever location you pick during the initial system setup.

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011

I don't think you can switch countries on Wii U like you can on 3DS - as far as I know, you're stuck with whichever location you pick during the initial system setup.

I actually try to change countries yesterday (from UK to Germany), which yielded in strange results: I could change my location in the settings menu, but after i did it the console wouldn't agree to connect to the internet. When i changed it back to UK the internet worked fine. I believe the problem is user based - my user is registered with a UK NNID, so it can't connect to the german servers or something. Will probably try this again with a new user some time in the future, but for now i decided to go back to UK and suck up high prices in the Eshop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (January 10):

quote:

WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Ninja Master's Haoh-Ninpo-Cho (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
3DS eSHOP
    Fractured Soul - €7.99 / £7.19
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Blaster Master (NES) €4.99 / £4.49
DSIWARE
    Kung-Fu Dragon - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79

So, how about that Wii U?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I don't remember the Wii Shop Channel getting neglected so much after launch.

I wonder why the Wii U's eShop has pretty much been a stagnant mess. Would love for them to start rolling out the GCN Virtual Console, but somehow I don't think that'll be happening for a while.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I don't remember the Wii Shop Channel getting neglected so much after launch.

I wonder why the Wii U's eShop has pretty much been a stagnant mess. Would love for them to start rolling out the GCN Virtual Console, but somehow I don't think that'll be happening for a while.

I really hope they are taking so long because they are working on making all Wii VC games work on the Wii U gamepad. (by porting them to the Wii U instead of playing them in Wii mode)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All the (non-VC) Nintendo storefronts launched with a few noteworthy titles then floundered for months and months, so this isn't really new, but the big difference this time is that Nintendo hasn't even bothered to offer up anything of their own yet, and probably won't until Panorama View or whatever the hell that thing is called now.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

All the (non-VC) Nintendo storefronts launched with a few noteworthy titles then floundered for months and months, so this isn't really new, but the big difference this time is that Nintendo hasn't even bothered to offer up anything of their own yet, and probably won't until Panorama View or whatever the hell that thing is called now.

Probably that everyone is terrified of sales expectations and most indie games take longer to develop ports/want to make games from the ground up with the Pad. So either they don't think they're going to make money or they're still coding in a basement somewhere, I assume.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (January 10):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    ZombiU (demo)
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Ninja Master's Haoh-Ninpo-Cho (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
3DS eSHOP
    Fractured Soul - €7.99 / £7.19
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Blaster Master (NES) €4.99 / £4.49
DSIWARE
    Kung-Fu Dragon - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79

NA update (January 10):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    NBA 2k13 (demo)
    ZombiU (demo)
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    World Heroes 2 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Hello Kitty Picnic with Sanrio Friends - $19.99
3DS eSHOP
    101 DinoPets 3D - $4.99
    Reel Fishing 3D Paradise Mini - $3.99
    Wild Adventures: Ultimate Deer Hunt 3D - $3.99
DSIWARE
    Biorhythm - 200 Points / $1.99

Also worth pointing out: NOA confirmed a Fire Emblem Awakening demo for next week.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Oh boy, it looks like we're getting some 3DS shovelware this week.

Its weeks like these where a VC release would be smart for NoA. If they don't want sales of good 3DS Downloadables to be stolen away by the oldies, then they need to put the oldies on weeks where they aren't putting out stuff people will actually buy (i.e. Put VC games out during weeks where the most you can throw out is garbage or almost nothing, and not on weeks where Pushmo-tier stuff is.)

But then again, smart online decisions don't really seem to be understood by NoA, if they want money they simply need to put things out that people want to buy.

Then again, I could be totally wrong, maybe there's a huge market for more Fishing and Hunting games and "Pet Simulators" (At least, that's what I'm gathering from '101 DinoPets 3D').

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

We had to wait months to even get the eshop firmware update on the 3DS. At least there are already a few demos, full retail titles and a couple of interesting indie games on the WiiU eshop. They do need to start adding more soon though.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Boy I wish there was something for me to buy on the 3DS shop with $1.39. I hate it when this poo poo happens. Somehow it feels like a lot even though it's so little.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Color Printer posted:

Boy I wish there was something for me to buy on the 3DS shop with $1.39. I hate it when this poo poo happens. Somehow it feels like a lot even though it's so little.

You know you can just add exactly how much you need to buy something, right?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Oh boy, it looks like we're getting some 3DS shovelware this week.

Its weeks like these where a VC release would be smart for NoA. If they don't want sales of good 3DS Downloadables to be stolen away by the oldies, then they need to put the oldies on weeks where they aren't putting out stuff people will actually buy (i.e. Put VC games out during weeks where the most you can throw out is garbage or almost nothing, and not on weeks where Pushmo-tier stuff is.)

But then again, smart online decisions don't really seem to be understood by NoA, if they want money they simply need to put things out that people want to buy.

You call it garbage, I too call it garbage, Nintendo instead calls it "software from our valued partners that must be justly given the spotlight like other releases".

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
ZombieU demo! Wahoo!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

limaCAT posted:

You call it garbage, I too call it garbage, Nintendo instead calls it "software from our valued partners that must be justly given the spotlight like other releases".

Well these are the same people who thought it best to shun the VC in favor of a loving Sudoku game almost a year ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Thought people might find this interesting - the 2012 sales rankings for the JP 3DS eShop:

quote:

1. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
2. Pokemon: AR Catcher
3. Denpa Ningen
4. 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure
5. Pokedex Pro
6. Denpa Ningen 2
7. Freakyforms
8. Touch Battle Sensha 3D
9. Crashmo
10. New Super Mario Bros. 2
11. The Rolling Western
12. Simple DL Series Vol. 1
13. Simple DL Series Vol. 3
14. LovePlus tools
15. Dragon Quest X: Odekake Moshasu de Battle
16. Simple DL Series Vol. 2
17. Tobidasu Purikura Kiradeko Revolution
18. PuyoPuyo!! Mini Version
19. Okiraku Cart 3D
20. Dasshutsu Adventure
21. ARC STYLE: Soccer! 3D
22. Rhythm Hunter Harmoknight
23. Sakura Samurai
24. Okiraku Tennis 3D
25. 3D Classics: Kid Icarus

...and the VC:

quote:

1. Super Mario Bros.
2. Kirby’s Dream Land 2
3. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels)
4. Link’s Awakening
5. Super Mario Land 2
6. Sonic & Tails 2 (Triple Trouble)
7. Donkey Kong (‘94)
8. Kirby’s Dream Land
9. Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (For The Frog the Bell Tolls)
10. Super Mario Land
11. Rockman 2
12. Legend of Zelda
13. Tetris
14. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
15. Rockman
16. Metroid
17. Qix
18. Kunio Kun (the one that was localised as "Double Dragon II")
19. Fire Emblem
20. G Sonic (Blast)
21. Wario Land 2
22. Wario Land 3
23. Metroid II
24. Rockman 3
25. Rockman 6

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So it shows that Japan has (Mostly) good taste in VC Games (And what games they have that we don't yet, like KDL2).

Still, Rockman 6 is on the list, but not 4? 3 is lower than 2? What bullshit, that's only further cementing that stupid notion that "All the new megamans should be like 2 because that was the best."

Anyway, I sort of like how the list of newer games is pretty good save for those "Simple Series" entries, aren't those the Japanese equivalent of Shovelware?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mega Man 6 is still the hardest to come by even in Japan, it would make sense to buy that on the VC instead of the others which are pretty abundant as Famicom games. Looking at that sales statistic shows exactly why they've got such a crappy release schedule going on, as soon as they have Mario and Zelda out, nothing else fetches any money anymore (because people are dumb).

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Anyway, I sort of like how the list of newer games is pretty good save for those "Simple Series" entries, aren't those the Japanese equivalent of Shovelware?

Not necessarily. The Simple Series is a long running brand of budget releases, and sure - there have been some lovely games among the dozens of titles carrying the banner, but there are also a lot of gems. Some really good puzzle games, in particular, but also more complex stuff.

Anyway, the 3DS Simple games are all "escape the room" adventure/puzzle games, and they've been getting pretty good reviews. I should check them out sometime.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

orenronen posted:

Some really good puzzle games, in particular, but also more complex stuff.

Puzzle Quest (The Puzzle Quest) was released as part of the Simple Series, among others. It's really just a common nomer for games of varying quality/production value.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
NoE has unveiled its upcoming Q1 releases for the 3DS eShop:

• Tokyo Crash Mobs, Nintendo – 17th January 2013
  • Fractured Soul, Endgame Studios – January 2013
  • Picross e2, Jupiter – January 2013
  • NightSky, Nicalis – Q1 2013
  • ATV Wild Ride 3D, Renegade Kid – Q1 2013
  • HarmoKnight, Nintendo – March 2013
  • Harvest Moon (Virtual Console – Game Boy Color), Natsume – Q1 2013
  • Legend of the River King (Virtual Console – Game Boy Color), Natsume – Q1 2013
  • Pinball: Revenge of the Gator (Virtual Console – Game Boy), Nintendo – Q1 2013
  • Mega Man 2 (Virtual Console – NES), Capcom – Q1 2013
  • Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (Virtual Console – NES), Tecmo Koei – Q1 2013

Mario Golf GBC still conspicuously AWOL.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (January 17):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    NBA 2k13 - €59.99 / £49.99
WIIWARE
    Vampire Crystals (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    Mahjong Mysteries - €4.99 / £4.49
    Tokyo Crash Mobs - €5.99 / £5.39
DSIWARE
    Zombie Skape - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79

Tokyo Crash Mobs looks to be a Zuma/Puzzloop-style colour-matching game, buried underneath a fuckload of incomprehensible 90's FMV-esque bullshit. I can't not buy it. Here's some footage from the Japanese version - from what I gather, the international version is almost identical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0odd5LIhX_E

Muga
May 7, 2004

Exercising My Demons
I'll never get enough Club Nintendo points to claim anything so hopefully a goon can make use of these:
code:
6BABUOHSF8D0U1JJ
(Bowsers Inside Story)
code:
Had a PM to say this one's been used
(Prof Layton and the Lost Future)

edit: These are UK codes if that matters.

Muga fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 14, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

you should probably specify if you are in the UK or Europe or whatever

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

European codes should work everywhere here. Buying games from all over Europe, I have activated British, French, Italian, and German codes quite a few times without issue.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Saoshyant posted:

European codes should work everywhere here. Buying games from all over Europe, I have activated British, French, Italian, and German codes quite a few times without issue.

but I couldn't use them in the US :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Sonic Racing Transformed (Wii U) demo is live on the PAL eShop, allegedly. Go take a look.

Also, Sega/Double Fine has dated The Cave - January 22, ie next week. No idea if that's for both regions or just NA.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOA just put out their Q1 release schedule, here's all the eShop-related stuff:

quote:

WII U eSHOP
The Cave - Jan 22
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (download-only retail title) - Feb 7
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - "Q1"
Puddle - "Q1"
Toki Tori 2 - "Q1"
Zen Pinball 2 - "Q1"

3DS eSHOP
Fire Emblem Awakening (demo) - January 17
Disney/Pixar Finding Nemo: Escape to the Big Blue - January 17
Deer Drive Legends - January 17
Tokyo Crash Mobs - January 17
Brain Age: Concentration Training (demo) - January 24
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (retail download) - January 24
Bloody Vampire - January 31
Witches' Cat - January 31
Jewel Master: Cradle of Egypt 2 - March 19
ATV Wild Ride - "Q1"
Coaster Creator 3D - "Q1"
Guxt - "Q1"
Ikachan - "Q1"
Nano Assault EX - "Q1"
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (retail download) - "Q1"
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D (retail download) - "Q1"

These things are never complete, so expect to see games that aren't listed here. On the flipside, don't expect to see all these games released in the timeframe specified by NOA, not even the ones with explicit release dates.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (January 17):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    NBA 2k13 - €59.99 / £49.99
    Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed (demo)
WIIWARE
    Vampire Crystals (demo)
3DS eSHOP
    Mahjong Mysteries - €4.99 / £4.49
    Tokyo Crash Mobs - €5.99 / £5.39
DSIWARE
    Zombie Skape - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79

NA update (January 17):

quote:

WII SHOP CHANNEL
    Amazon Instant Video Channel (free)
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Deer Drive Legends - ?
    Disney/Pixar Finding Nemo: Escape to the Big Blue - ?
3DS eSHOP
    Tokyo Crash Mobs - $5.99
    Fire Emblem Awakening (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby Star Stacker (Game Boy) - $2.99

(NOA doesn't list the prices for retail downloads on their press release, so if anyone really wants to buy the Finding Nemo shovelware they'll have to look up the price for themselves.)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Has anyone played Ikachan? I know it's another old Pixel game, but I was just curious if anyone had opinions on the game and the probable quality of the 3DS port.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

VarrosAnon posted:

Has anyone played Ikachan? I know it's another old Pixel game, but I was just curious if anyone had opinions on the game and the probable quality of the 3DS port.

No idea about the 3DS port, but it's a very short game with kinda quirky controls, but it's cute and I liked it. But again, extremely short game.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Muga posted:

I'll never get enough Club Nintendo points to claim anything so hopefully a goon can make use of these:
Someone already claimed the Bowser's one, just so you know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two small bits of news:

-The Trine 2 devs have confirmed an AU/NZ release for the end of January

-Ikachan (3DS) is due for release in NA on January 31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wish they would reveal what happening with the WiiU Virtual Console. I was thinking of buying some VC games to fill the holes in my collection, but it's hard to buy stuff from the Wii side these days without knowing around the corner the WiiU VC will get announced and you would have to rebuy everything you had.

Waiting is fine, until you start seeing things like Donkey Kong Country and Sim City get pulled without warning.