Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Well wait the last sci-fi movie Disney made was pretty g

oh

my theory is that this movie bombed because the desert environments reminded people too much of the phantom menace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I think it bombed because no one knew what it was from the marketing and also because they forgot to hire an editor to turn their 5 hours of vaguely related footage into a decent-length movie with good pacing and a coherent plotline.

I'll admit it was a beautiful movie though. The set design and sfx and everything were gorgeous.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

is this true for the reasons you imply or is it just true because we're old and we've seen all the tropes so this poo poo isn't burning into our brains like it did when we were kids?

little of A little of B maybe

its a little bit that we're old, its a little bit that even modern day sci-fi or fantasy movies that are considered awesome will quickly be forgotten, ala The Avengers

remember how everyone raved about spiderman 2, or shrek, aint nobody watching that poo poo nowadays

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Dead Man Posting posted:

dark forces II remains the best imho

concussion rifle duels on the bottom rails in bespin mining :hellyeah:

however the multiplayer was lol because the client implicitly trusted itself and other clients so any mods you had inserted into the local game files would take place in multiplayer
mandelorian mod best mod, jetpacks n' grapplin hooks

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kirk posted:

its a little bit that we're old, its a little bit that even modern day sci-fi or fantasy movies that are considered awesome will quickly be forgotten, ala The Avengers

remember how everyone raved about spiderman 2, or shrek, aint nobody watching that poo poo nowadays

Too bad cause Spider-Man 2 was p dope

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
i still believe the world needs a shiny multiplayer x-wing vs. tie fighter

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Base Emitter posted:

Death Star attack would be a pretty dope assault map

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

cant wait until hollywood decides its time for the body snatchers to come back, probably gonna be a straight up zombie movie next time lol

has that foundation movie been cancelled at least?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Base Emitter posted:

this isnt gonna happen unless you'd like to see angry birds lego star wars: the console flight sim game

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
fuckin freespace2 is a fantastic open sores engine, someone just license some IP or just make some proper IP and make a fantastic space game
i tried to like X3 but ugh what a sperg game

e: woah someone finally did something cool with it, sorry if you dont like bsg (SHAGGARS poo poo EATER)

ahmeni fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 21, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
First Hansel & Gretel and now some loving Jack and the Beanstalk movie.

gently caress Hollywood

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
someone post the penny arcade strawberry shortcake joke, I'm on my phone

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Well wait the last sci-fi movie Disney made was pretty g

oh

yeah, it was pretty good, you're right

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho

gooby on rails posted:

someone post the penny arcade strawberry shortcake joke, I'm on my phone

dont do it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

the only good pa jokes. you're welcome

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

yes

no

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

qntm posted:

my theory is that this movie bombed because the desert environments reminded people too much of the phantom menace

it bombed because it was an extraordinarily forgettable experience

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ahmeni posted:

fuckin freespace2 is a fantastic open sores engine, someone just license some IP or just make some proper IP and make a fantastic space game
i tried to like X3 but ugh what a sperg game

e: woah someone finally did something cool with it, sorry if you dont like bsg (SHAGGARS poo poo EATER)

X3 was the least fun I've ever had playing a video game

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Moist von Lipwig posted:

pfft "fun" look at this babby who can't appreciate the rewarding depth and sophistication of a real spaceships game. why don't you go back to playing starfox on your shitendo pee and leave the grownup starflight simulations to the people who can handle them. :smug:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 21, 2013

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Moist von Lipwig posted:

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

watched 'lockout', not actually a scifi movie even though its got space ships pew pewin and poo poo. terrible

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

has guy pierce always been such a snarky dude? is he just trying to be hugh jackman?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Okay really, if we're very nearly at the technological level required to build Von Neumann probes (or already at that level if you're really optimistic about clanking replicators or know something I don't about Craig Venter's pets), then where the gently caress are all the machines from alien civilizations because we should be drowning in the drat things. Am I seriously supposed to believe that we're the first intelligent species in the galaxy, or possibly in the universe?

Somehow the universe looks exactly as we'd expect it to if it were completely dead except for us. I'm having kind of an existential crisis over this.

On the plus side at least we don't have to worry about smurfcats disrupting our unobtanium mining operations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Okay really, if we're very nearly at the technological level required to build Von Neumann probes (or already at that level if you're really optimistic about clanking replicators or know something I don't about Craig Venter's pets), then where the gently caress are all the machines from alien civilizations because we should be drowning in the drat things. Am I seriously supposed to believe that we're the first intelligent species in the galaxy, or possibly in the universe?

Somehow the universe looks exactly as we'd expect it to if it were completely dead except for us. I'm having kind of an existential crisis over this.

On the plus side at least we don't have to worry about smurfcats disrupting our unobtanium mining operations.
whats a von neuman probe

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Farm Frenzy posted:

whats a von neuman probe

mmm how far can i cram this bad boy...

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

scale. the universe is 13 billion years old and unimaginably huge. even if nano machines replicated themselves from some early high tech civilization and spread very quickly, it's still unlikely it's going to intersect our tiny 6000 year temporal blip

arthur c clarke's sentinel is a good story about this

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Okay really, if we're very nearly at the technological level required to build Von Neumann probes

ah gently caress i looked up that on wikipedia and then a few hours disappeared

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

also von neuman machines may seem like a perfect perpetual replication system to our primitive monkey brains but there are probably some high level chaotic effects we can't perceive that doom them to failure that are laughably obvious to some transcendent intelligence

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Amethyst posted:

also von neuman machines may seem like a perfect perpetual replication system to our primitive monkey brains but there are probably some high level chaotic effects we can't perceive that doom them to failure that are laughably obvious to some transcendent intelligence

well the first failure would be that computers suck and that shits always breaking

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

android is going forth and multiplying to consume the earth. then it will go to alien worlds. we have the von neumann probes already.

but in space nobody can pull your battery.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7jbP1_H9sA

old but still hilarious forever

gay devil fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 21, 2013

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Really complex, potentially-intelligent life is likely a lot less common than commonly imagined in our galaxy.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

I suppose it has to be considered that the reason we don't see alien machines around is that everyone is bad at programming.

Or, put more succinctly, the solution to the Fermi Paradox is literally "YOSPOS".

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

We're a bug in some future DinoVille game that someone hasn't logged into for awhile and will be ironed out in the next patch

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

cant wait until hollywood decides its time for the body snatchers to come back, probably gonna be a straight up zombie movie next time lol

has that foundation movie been cancelled at least?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427392/

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

Maybe we are either luck that evil aliens didn't find and enslaved us, or the good aliens respond to some sort of Prime Directive and won't bother with first contact until we can manage a round trip to Alpha Centauri for a dinner and back home before bed time.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Am I seriously supposed to believe that we're the first intelligent species in the galaxy, or possibly in the universe?

hey someone has to win that race, why NOT us?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is there a YOSPOS TV thread, or is this the catchall?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
why would you watch tv that isn't sci fi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Is there a YOSPOS TV thread, or is this the catchall?

i dont know

• Locked thread