Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

KaneTW posted:

I made some Flammkuchen, which is basically the French/German variation of Pizza: http://imgur.com/a/fAvq9

The first photo turned out a bit badly but I've no idea what's wrong with it. Probably the blue background messing it up.

Sauce is creme fraiche and eggs, toppings are pancetta, leek and some Dutch cheese. I used a 50/50 spelt/wheat mix for the pastry but it's regular yeast dough.

I'll try baking it on a pizza stone next time; I usually just use it for making bread.

That looks similar to an alsatian tarte. Looks delicous too. I like a lot of caramelized onions on mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

In fact, it is. Flammkuchen comes from Alsace, and is probably the tarte associated most strongly with it. At least the first Google result is Tarte flambée, which is the french name for Flammkuchen.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I forgot we had this thread!

The pizza stone is something I lost in the big break up 6 years ago, and never replaced. So last week I blew 3 bucks on some tiles from Home Depot.

I was trying to reproduce an awesome brick oven pizza that I had in The Village in NYC. From this place:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/numero-28-new-york-3

Nice simple pie with a light pan sauce, real buffalo motz and fresh basil. Didn't get the crust thin enough, but otherwise it turned out yummy.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Cast iron pizza is the best easiest thing

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Queen Elizatits posted:

Cast iron pizza is the best easiest thing

Is that an egg?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Moey posted:

Is that an egg?

gently caress yeah, eggs on pizz own

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Eggs on pizza. Eggs on burgers. Eggs in ramen. Eggs in everything IMO.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Anyone have a dough recipe for Cast Iron Pizza?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Thoogsby posted:

Would it need to be different from any other dough?

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Moey posted:

Is that an egg?

Oops I totally forgot I posted that in here, sorry for not answering you but yes that is an egg. I think it would have been a little better if I hadn't cooked it the entire time I cooked the pizza so it would have been a little bit runnier.

Thoogsby posted:

Any pizza dough recipe you want that is part of the reason it is so great. It is so hard to mess up cast iron pizza. I don't preheat the bottom of the pan anymore, I just spread the dough in there so you can do anything from a really high hydration ciabatta rip off dough to a thick bagel dough type.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Does anyone have a good gluten free pizza dough recipe they can share? Yeah I know, it's basically an oxymoron but my girlfriend is gluten intolerant and I want to surprise her with a delicious pizza.

Store gluten free bases I've had in the past have been alright, but obviously very dense and crumbly. I'm not expecting to do a good deep pan (although that would be ideal) and my current thinking is a gluten free sour dough stretched out thin.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Senor Tron posted:

Does anyone have a good gluten free pizza dough recipe they can share? Yeah I know, it's basically an oxymoron but my girlfriend is gluten intolerant and I want to surprise her with a delicious pizza.

Store gluten free bases I've had in the past have been alright, but obviously very dense and crumbly. I'm not expecting to do a good deep pan (although that would be ideal) and my current thinking is a gluten free sour dough stretched out thin.

Every single gluten free dough option I've tried that wasn't absolutely terrible basically amounted to a thincrust. I had the best luck w/ simply replacing some/most of the regular flour with gluten free flour (which is RETARDEDLY expensive). Rice flour tasted really weird, but it had a good structure.

ThermonuclearTom
Jul 23, 2006

OW
OW
OW

Senor Tron posted:

Does anyone have a good gluten free pizza dough recipe they can share?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/gluten-free-tuesday-easy-pizza-crust-recipe.html

This one has been recommended to me but I haven't tried it myself. If you try it post the results!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ThermonuclearTom posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/gluten-free-tuesday-easy-pizza-crust-recipe.html

This one has been recommended to me but I haven't tried it myself. If you try it post the results!

Actually came across that link while searching the net for ideas, I'm in Australia though so probably can't get hold of that mix unfortunately.

godzirraRAWR posted:

Every single gluten free dough option I've tried that wasn't absolutely terrible basically amounted to a thincrust. I had the best luck w/ simply replacing some/most of the regular flour with gluten free flour (which is RETARDEDLY expensive). Rice flour tasted really weird, but it had a good structure.

I can get gluten free flour from the supermarket which is around $4-$5 a kg. So more expensive than normal flour, but still affordable. I'll definitely go with a thincrust. My hope with having a dough that sits for a day or so is that it might help reduce some of that flavor.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Does anyone have a good gluten free pizza dough recipe they can share?

Gluten-free Pizza crust recipe:

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2010/12/frugan-oh-that-gluten-free-pizza.html

It's a thin crust, but it's a good one.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

Going to have to try this out. No access to the pizza stone though, but I'll be looking into that.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I was thinking about making a deep dish pizza in a cast iron skillet, is there anything huge that needs to change about the recipes other than quantities and the time it's baked?

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

kiresays posted:

Going to have to try this out. No access to the pizza stone though, but I'll be looking into that.

When heating your oven put in a large cast iron skillet upside down for a baking surface. It limits the size of the pizza but it gives a great crust.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I got a stone a few years back, and used to make pizza with this recipe for the dough pretty regularly. However, I got too lazy and started getting the balls of dough from Trader Joe's instead (they are actually pretty good, especially for $1.19). But I just got a standing mixer for Christmas, so I decided to take another crack at it to feed some company that was coming over. I used to religiously use the DelGrosso pizza sauce, but the local store stopped carrying it. I use Ragu's homestyle sauce or Clasico's sauce, depending on which is in my fridge at a given time. That same store also stopped carrying the Margherita brand pepperoni, so I just make cheese. I usually put olive oil on the edges and add some parm, garlic powder, and oregano to give the crust some extra flavor, but I was a little too lazy this time. Here were my two creations from tonight.

edit: btw it was delicious and I practically ate one of the pizzas myself

Sulphuric Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 1, 2013

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
There are a lot of reasons I want my own place, mostly to set up a semi permanent wood/metal shop, but two of the "big" reasons are 1) outdoor wood burning pizza oven 2) indoor clean cycle oven. PIZZA 25/7. Please post more pizza pictures :(

zilong
Jun 14, 2007
;o;
Pizza goons,

Ever since I made a couple pies using that no knead method on the 1st page, I've been bitten by the pizza baking bug bad. I received my Baking Steel today, and it was awesome. It was made using Jim Lahey's no knead recipe (although I don't have anything against kneading). The interior of the dough was so soft and chewy.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

So I tried my hand at making a more NYC-ish, pizzeria style pie tonight. I used exactly the same process that I normally do, only with a 60% hydration dough and the oven only at 500 degrees. They turned out pretty good; pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

They take 8 minutes 30 seconds to cook and are nice and crispy, soft in the center, with perfect stringy cheese.

500g water
825g bread flour
4g yeast
30g salt

Makes 3 pizzas. Sauce is just crushed whole tomatoes, salt, romano cheese, dried basil, black pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper. Grated dry mozz.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I have finally convinced my GF that, since we can't agree on a good pizza place that will deliver to us, that I will be making homemade pizza from now on unless it's a last minute need-to-order something situation (working late or whatever).

I am hoping to have pics in here within the next week or two.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

Nostrum posted:

So I tried my hand at making a more NYC-ish, pizzeria style pie tonight. I used exactly the same process that I normally do, only with a 60% hydration dough and the oven only at 500 degrees. They turned out pretty good; pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

They take 8 minutes 30 seconds to cook and are nice and crispy, soft in the center, with perfect stringy cheese.

500g water
825g bread flour
4g yeast
30g salt

Makes 3 pizzas. Sauce is just crushed whole tomatoes, salt, romano cheese, dried basil, black pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper. Grated dry mozz.

You have proved time and time again that you are the pizza master. Please have me over for dinner TIA.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So a fellow goon, Jovial Cow, and I decided to make pizza since he got a pizza stone as a "secret santa" gift at his office. Here's how it went down...

All sorts of groceries:

So we decided to make a home made pizza sauce by combining the following: 1/2 red onion, 12oz crushed tomatos, some roasted red peppers, gahhhhhlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and oregano. It looked like this:

The onion bits were actually quite good on the final product.

So while that good stuff was cooking...the dough we got was frozen so we had to thaw it out by running warm water over it:

While that went down we cooked up some hot Italian sausages

Once the sauce and dough was ready we rolled that 'ish out and started making something that resembled a pizza

So funny thing happened, we went to slide the pizza off the wood surface and onto the pizza stone and it was completely stuck to the wood despite a good half pound of flour. Finally we put it on the new pizza stone and cooked it for about 12-15 minutes in the oven and it came out looking like this:

I'll answer the question you're thinking; yes it was loving awesome.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
Very good looking pie there! That came out much better than when I had a problem with getting it off the peel. I panicked and managed to spill a quarter of the toppings onto the stone and the oven floor. That was quite the smokey heart shaped pizza. Nothing like having the screen door open with a big fan blowing all the smoke out in the middle of a freezing winter.

I'll never skimp on the rice flour again. And if you haven't yet, try rice flour or semolina. It's a lot more slippery than wheat flour.

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

That sauce looks awesome.

I got a pizza stone for Christmas, and have been amazed at how easy (and cheap) it is to make awesome loving pizza. Never buying from Round Table again

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, that looks delicious. We are making pizza for the game tonight. Bought a 12-pack of some German dunkel I have never heard of before but how can I go wrong. There is a mom & pop pizzeria up the street and we bought some fresh dough today from them because to be honest I suck at the dough portion enough that it deters me from making home made pizza. When I can buy it from these guys fresh for two bucks and I know how good their pies are, I have to take the path of least resistance.

The final product.. it tasted great. It looks a little crispy on the edges but it was just right. I did not think to butter it but I ended up with a complication right as I was on final assembly so lets just say poo poo went sideways and I forgot.

I did forego the bottled sauce my wife picked up and had a can of crushed tomatoes in the pantry that I used in its place. I diced up some garlic, some yellow & red sweet peppers we bought at the farmers market on Saturday, crushed red pepper and some oregano and simmered it for a few minutes while I started assembly. It went to hell somewhere between me shredding a brick of Mozzeralla and adding the bits of the red and yellow pepper.

I cranked the oven up, the pizza stone had some leftover something that at 500 degrees started to smoke. I opened the oven and within two seconds had the fire alarm blaring, the cats and dogs went apeshit, the alarm company calling because it sent a notification to the call center.. what a freaking three ring circus that turned out to be.

Pizza was really tasty though, I have to adjust the time a hair and maybe drain the tomatoes before throwing it in to simmer with the other ingredients? Maybe fresh tomatoes diced and flash blended in the bullet and simmering that would have been a better idea. It is all trial and error at this level anyways?

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 5, 2013

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The ol' stone saw a lot of use yesterday.

While my bread dough was in the works, I par-baked a pepperoni pizza to pop in the oven when the wife came home. Turned out looking like this:

After which, I made some bread & knotted buns:

Does it make me OCD that I place my pepperoni using a hex pattern?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Looks good! Thick pepperoni too which I love but they were out at the store so I had to settle for the thin ones. I started to lay out mine in a similar fashion but the wife cut in and told me to stop trying to make everything line up perfect. Dark beer too, good choice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

The ol' stone saw a lot of use yesterday.
Does it make me OCD that I place my pepperoni using a hex pattern?

Oh those pepperoni grease chalices look amazing. Love the curl.

Nice bong next to your pizza peel with the bread on it!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

demonR6 posted:

Looks good! Thick pepperoni too which I love but they were out at the store so I had to settle for the thin ones. I started to lay out mine in a similar fashion but the wife cut in and told me to stop trying to make everything line up perfect. Dark beer too, good choice.

I love the cup 'n' char pepperoni. They're little pools of delicious grease. If you can get that type, I doubly recommend mixing the thin large pepperoni with the cup 'n' char pepperoni on a pizza. Also, if you can get sopressata, throw that on there too. I call it the "triple pep pizza" and it's pretty much to die for.

I imagine the hex pattern just comes naturally to nerds laying out circles. It's quite the inefficient use of time!

Also, the beer is Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA. Just... ...so good.

The Midniter posted:

Oh those pepperoni grease chalices look amazing. Love the curl.

Nice bong next to your pizza peel with the bread on it!

Just a ceramic candle-holder. My bong is on the shelf nearby, though, so you're not far off!

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
So, our stone got partially busted last night. It was a gift, and we only cook pizza a couple times a month. Thought I would check out Home Depot or Lowe's for a couple of tiles or one giant tile. We usually make fairly large pizza's when we make them. Is it best to try and find a 20+ inch tile or try and use a couple smaller tiles?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
How do you guys get your pizzas so round? Mine is always very elastic and I can never get it to stretch into a nice circular shape. it still tastes delicious, but it winds up as a deformed hexagon or something of the sort...

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Brawnfire posted:

I love the cup 'n' char pepperoni. They're little pools of delicious grease. If you can get that type, I doubly recommend mixing the thin large pepperoni with the cup 'n' char pepperoni on a pizza. Also, if you can get sopressata, throw that on there too. I call it the "triple pep pizza" and it's pretty much to die for.

I imagine the hex pattern just comes naturally to nerds laying out circles. It's quite the inefficient use of time!

Also, the beer is Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA. Just... ...so good.

Just a ceramic candle-holder. My bong is on the shelf nearby, though, so you're not far off!

Funny thing with my pepperoni OCD is I do consecutive X patterns to top the pizza but something like ground sausage I spread randomly.

I'll get the name of the dark beer I had with my pizza, it's tasty as hell.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

rj54x posted:

How do you guys get your pizzas so round? Mine is always very elastic and I can never get it to stretch into a nice circular shape. it still tastes delicious, but it winds up as a deformed hexagon or something of the sort...

I can tell you my method, that I learned through much pizza-making at various pizza-places I've worked at.

1.) Fold the dough over and over into a ball shape. Place with the seam down.
2.) Roll out with a rolling pin, making sure to rotate the dough by quarters to maintain a relatively even roundness.
3.) This part is sort of tricky to describe. Place the pinky side of your right hand on the outside of the edge, and your pointer side of your left hand on the inside of where you want the crust to be. Sort of like this:

Use these to push together a "wall", moving the pizza instead of your hands, until you've completed a circuit. You can make varying thicknesses of crust this way.

4.) Pick up the dough and drape it over the tops of your hands and knuckles, like a dog begging for poo poo or a praying mantis, and just let gravity do most of the work. Turn the pizza a few times until it's stretched out to the size you want. If you find the centre is getting too thin, pull your hands apart to stretch the crust better.

That should make it a bit rounder. Hope that helped!

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

rj54x posted:

The trick to this (and also for getting your dough to being the same thickness throughout) is basically doing the same thing to every part of the pizza and rotating it as you work it. I've thrown pizzas professionally from 9'' to 24'' and while the techniques change depending on the amount of dough, they all should involve rotating the dough as you work it. Personally I like to start on a floured surface and stretch the edge to create a crust while spinning it in a circle and then throwing it to stretch the middle to be the same size as the edge although I admit that throwing pizzas is much more about style than anything else. I've made plenty of perfect pizzas without lifting the dough off the table (other than to flip it and put it in the oven).

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
These are recipes for disaster in my house.. I need to get a part-time job at a pizza joint to learn the technique and quit when I master it or hire someone to teach me.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

demonR6 posted:

These are recipes for disaster in my house.. I need to get a part-time job at a pizza joint to learn the technique and quit when I master it or hire someone to teach me.

Honestly it's a pretty good time and there are much worse ways to spend time than throwing out pizzas for 5-10 hours a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

a lovely poster posted:

Honestly it's a pretty good time and there are much worse ways to spend time than throwing out pizzas for 5-10 hours a week.

Two of the best min wage jobs I had were working at pizza places. Upside is free pizza as well. Although I have managed to forget all I knew about tossing pie, cause I used to be really good at it and now I am horrible :(