Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You guys are thinking too hard about it. It was just Dredd being a softy because he liked Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tripwyre posted:

She says that it is when questioned as to why she lets the tech guy go. "I already failed when..." It's implicit that he decides otherwise in the end, but she does explicitly refer to the lawgiver as her primary weapon.

Because Dredd makes the call on it in the end, and it's fairly obvious that he's chosen to interpret the "Primary weapon" as her mind. Which it is.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Vagabundo posted:

Because Dredd makes the call on it in the end, and it's fairly obvious that he's chosen to interpret the "Primary weapon" as her mind. Which it is.

Of course, I'm not saying otherwise. But Anderson has gone through the Academy, and I don't feel I'm being overly presumptuous in guessing that she would be taught there that Lawgiver is her primary weapon (in comparison to the grenades they carry, etc.). It seems like something she would be taught rather than something she would assume, given that her skills are unprecedented.

Dredd makes a judgment call in the end of course (no pun intended), and he is correct to do so, but there's no question when they head out to start the day that when he says "primary weapon" he is referring to the Lawgiver.

Anyway, this is enough words about something that doesn't really matter.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tripwyre posted:

Dredd makes a judgment call in the end of course (no pun intended), and he is correct to do so, but there's no question when they head out to start the day that when he says "primary weapon" he is referring to the Lawgiver.
And people say Dredd doesn't grow or change!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Tripwyre posted:

Of course, I'm not saying otherwise. But Anderson has gone through the Academy, and I don't feel I'm being overly presumptuous in guessing that she would be taught there that Lawgiver is her primary weapon (in comparison to the grenades they carry, etc.). It seems like something she would be taught rather than something she would assume, given that her skills are unprecedented.

Yes, when he says "primary weapon" at the start of the day he is of course talking about the gun, but by the end of the film he has seen that her main asset (and "primary weapon") is her mind which she maintains control of and is incredibly useful. Yes he likes her and sees that she is capable but a guy like Dredd would need a reason to contradict his earlier comments about failing, hence why it makes sense that he would adjust his meaning of the word.

Dressed to Kill
Jul 23, 2007
Plus she kinda saved his life. That's got to score you some points.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

You guys are thinking too hard about it. It was just Dredd being a softy because he liked Anderson.

Nah guys, I'm pretty sure it's this.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

It's also incredibly important for Andersons character that she thinks she has failed her examination and continues to try to make things right anyway.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

NESguerilla posted:

Well, in Mega City One they say - that Judge Dredd's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Dredd is the judge the city wants; Anderson is the judge the city needs.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CronnySockett posted:

I actually kinda thought it was the other way around.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

CronnySockett posted:

Yeah what your average MegaCity dweller needs is for The Law to literally read their minds. That's what was missing from the Judge, Jury and Executioner trifecta. Absolute surveillance. This is what the movie is trying to communicate.

"Let's see what you've got in there, perp. One month ago you crossed the street at a red light. Jaywalking. One week in the iso-cubes. Five years ago you dropped a piece of gum. Littering. Two months in the iso-cubes. Ten years ago you found a credit chip in the street and did not report the find. Theft. Two years in the iso-cubes. Twelve years ago, you bumped into an old woman, knocking her over and causing her to drop her bag of groceries. Violent assault and vandalism. Five years in the iso-cubes. And when you saw me coming, you tried to run away. Evasion of Justice. Ten years in the iso-cubes. And now you just thought about shooting me with my own gun. Intent to kill a Judge. Death."

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Shanty posted:

"Let's see what you've got in there, perp. One month ago you crossed the street at a red light. Jaywalking. One week in the iso-cubes. Five years ago you dropped a piece of gum. Littering. Two months in the iso-cubes. Ten years ago you found a credit chip in the street and did not report the find. Theft. Two years in the iso-cubes. Twelve years ago, you bumped into an old woman, knocking her over and causing her to drop her bag of groceries. Violent assault and vandalism. Five years in the iso-cubes. And when you saw me coming, you tried to run away. Evasion of Justice. Ten years in the iso-cubes. And now you just thought about shooting me with my own gun. Intent to kill a Judge. Death."

I could utterly picture this as a real 2000AD storyline.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Dressed to Kill posted:

Plus she kinda saved his life. That's got to score you some points.

Not really. Not with Dredd.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

I actually kinda thought it was the other way around.

Yeah I kinda did too. Believe me I didnt put much thought into this beyond making fun of that silly Batman quote, but I figured Anderson would be better as she at least has a grasp that criminals exist mostly due to circumstance than anything else.

EDIT: Also a question: early in the movie we see Ma-Ma's tech guy making little wire figurines. During the final confrontation after Anderson gets wounded we get a close-up shot of one of the figurines.

I think this implies...something but I don't know what. Amy ideas, or am I overthinking it?

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 21, 2013

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CronnySockett posted:

Yeah I kinda did too. Believe me I didnt put much thought into this beyond making fun of that silly Batman quote, but I figured Anderson would be better as she at least has a grasp that criminals exist mostly due to circumstance than anything else.

EDIT: Also a question: early in the movie we see Ma-Ma's tech guy making little wire figurines. During the final confrontation after Anderson gets wounded we get a close-up shot of one of the figurines.

I think this implies...something but I don't know what. Amy ideas, or am I overthinking it?

I don't think anyone knows what it means. It caught my attention too.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

CronnySockett posted:

Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

The Dark Knight(2008) by Christopher Nolan

Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos - Judges.

Dredd(2012) by Pete Travis

It's the only thing. A freebie for penismightier

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It seemed like a bit of a nod to Blade Runner, but also it's one of the "clues" that humanize him. All of the bad guys in the movie are more or less portrayed "as Dredd sees them", but when Anderson is by herself (in fact, every scene where she's by herself) we are shown things that humanize the bad guys. It's one of the neat ways the movie explores the idea that fascist, un-compromising preconceptions about social and criminal problems are like blinders. Dredd sees most things as black and white issues, and that's the way they are shown to the audience when Dredd is on the screen. When Anderson is by herself, things aren't shown as so black and white. The film is tempting us to buy into Dredd's fascism and brutality with conformation bias.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yes, when he says "primary weapon" at the start of the day he is of course talking about the gun, but by the end of the film he has seen that her main asset (and "primary weapon") is her mind which she maintains control of and is incredibly useful. Yes he likes her and sees that she is capable but a guy like Dredd would need a reason to contradict his earlier comments about failing, hence why it makes sense that he would adjust his meaning of the word.
Or it could be that Dredd is not anal like a computer, and that even he is capable of bending the rules when there is a compelling reason to do so. Anderson can read minds - that's an immensely powerful asset that the Justice Department doesn't have much experience with.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Never thought I'd read the phrase "anal like a computer".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Or it could be that Dredd is not anal like a computer, and that even he is capable of bending the rules when there is a compelling reason to do so. Anderson can read minds, and her powers help him survive and prevail in a very dangerous situation that he didn't really anticipate. Also, she did recover her weapon on her own.

No she didn't recover it, her gun got blown up. But yes I agree with your other point.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

demolina posted:

I could utterly picture this as a real 2000AD storyline.
Doesn't Mega-City One have statute of limitations? If only not to overwhelm the system with old crimes?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

It seems to me to be completely ambiguous - maybe Dredd decided to consider her mind-reading to be her primary weapon, maybe he just decided to break the rules in this case because he believed it was worth it. Personally I hope the former was the intent - isn't Dredd essentially supposed to be a pure tool of the law, and that's his fundamental character? Having him decide to ignore the rules in this case feels a bit like a ham-handed “we need to make the protagonist more likeable" thing. Or is he actually more morally fluid than I've heard?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Baron Bifford posted:

Doesn't Mega-City One have statute of limitations? If only not to overwhelm the system with old crimes?
The Judge system wouldn't get overwhelmed (sponts aside); to them, it makes no difference if the sentence is seven days or seven decades. You're sentenced on the spot, bam, off to the cubes. If you're found guilty of more crimes, it just takes them a little longer to tell you what you've been found guilty of.

The cubes themselves are the real bottleneck, but the Justice Department can always build new ones if the current ones get full. In fact, it would be one way to solve the unemployment problem; hire some people to build cubes, others as guards (they're technically Judges, but there's an Anderson story where someone disparages them as soft slackers who wouldn't last five minutes on the streets - ideal for privatisation, then :v: ) and everyone else a perp. Everybody's guilty of something in this system.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

It seems to me to be completely ambiguous - maybe Dredd decided to consider her mind-reading to be her primary weapon, maybe he just decided to break the rules in this case because he believed it was worth it. Personally I hope the former was the intent - isn't Dredd essentially supposed to be a pure tool of the law, and that's his fundamental character? Having him decide to ignore the rules in this case feels a bit like a ham-handed “we need to make the protagonist more likeable" thing. Or is he actually more morally fluid than I've heard?

He's a stickler for the letter of the law and raised since birth to serve the fascist police state that is Mega City One, but he's still human. In the comics he's broken or ignored the law a bunch of times over the years, when he feels it is necessary/right.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron Bifford posted:

No, it does not. The system is already overwhelmed, letting people get away with things once they're caught would make it worse.

BreakAtmo: Dredd is not morally fluid at all, but he is mentally flexible. On at least two occasions he's knowingly punished an innocent because he felt it was necessary to preserve the Law in a higher sense.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

BreakAtmo posted:

He already ignored the rules when he decided to stun the kids instead of killing them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

He already ignored the rules when he decided to stun the kids instead of killing them.

Also, as he shows with the homeless junkie in the beginning, he's perfectly willing to give certain things priority over others, even if it means bending the rules a bit.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

blackguy32 posted:

Juvenile sentence for threatening a judge is not death, the rules state that he CAN stun them

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Also, as he shows with the homeless junkie in the beginning, he's perfectly willing to give certain things priority over others, even if it means bending the rules a bit.

Yeah, but that's a part of the rules too - it's not much different to how they went to Peach Trees rather than any one of the crimes that were occurring. Dredd says they can only respond to 6% of crimes, and some are worse than others. He was limited and had to spend his time effectively. There wasn't a similar limitation here - the law says Anderson failed if she lost her primary weapon. If that's her Lawgiver, she failed, and Dredd broke the rules.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm starting to think the best joke in the film is in how Anderson spares that one guy, because she sees that he was forced to do bad things and is therefore a victim.

It shows how myopic she is - because which of the criminals wasn't forced into a lovely life of crime by their dire situation? But that one gesture nonetheless makes her instantly 'the good guy' to audiences, after killing/torturing her way through half the building.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The literal and most basic view of a film is always the correct and most rewarding one, after all.

Everything about Anderson is showing that she's the new kind of Judge that the city needs. She doesn't beat the poo poo out of people for confessions, she just pulls it right out of their heads. She doesn't Kill, Arrest and Destroy everyone regardless of their crimes, she judges in all sense of the word, deciding her actions based not on the letter but the spirit of the law. She's diametrically opposed to Dredd who represents The Old Way. In the end, after seeing her in action, Dredd realizes this and realizes that the reason she failed the previous tests and such was because she isn't the kind of judge those tests exist for, she would need a whole new method of examination. One where the Law isn't an unchangeable brick to be hurled at someones head, one where morals can change depending on context and one where the primary tool of the justice department is the mind, not a box that shoots rockets or whatever.

Just because Anderson doesn't realize that her Gun isn't her primary weapon, doesn't mean it isn't. Her Mind Powers save her skin a ton of times, and her quick thinking saves her a ton more. She barely shoots anyone and when she does, she usually uses her mind powers to pick out when and who to shoot. Dredd obviously means the Gun when he first says 'Don't lose your dude' but at the end when he's all staring off in the distance, that's when he realizes 'drat she didn't even need a gun to oh wait that wasn't her primary weapon at all its like a metaphor or some poo poo dang'

Compare how they both deal with the other judges that arrive near the end Dredd sees another Morally Untouchable Representative Of THE LAW and treats them as such, almost getting killed because of it. Anderson sees a Person, Reads them, Judges Them, and moves on unhindered.

I mean it's either that or her primary weapon is literally her gun and every reference to that is a one dimension simple and literal reference. Either or.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm starting to think the best joke in the film is in how Anderson spares that one guy, because she sees that he was forced to do bad things and is therefore a victim.

It shows how myopic she is - because which of the criminals wasn't forced into a lovely life of crime by their dire situation? But that one gesture nonetheless makes her instantly 'the good guy' to audiences, after killing/torturing her way through half the building.

Yes, even with Ma-Ma they go out of their way to show how she was a prostitute who was cut up by her pimp. It's easy to see Anderson as a rebel if you don't think about things too hard, but she wants to be a judge, she wants to uphold the system. She's been raised by the Justice Department just like Dredd was. I'm thinking about her line at the start where she talks about 'making a difference' in a block like Peach Trees. Well she sure did for all the innocent people that are dead because she chose the triple homicide rather than another crime elsewhere!

I think people are really overstating the differences between Dredd and Anderson- they are different in style and personality but that's about it. Both are very effective police state law enforcers. Dredd would probably have been merciful to the tech guy as well if he knew what Anderson did.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

Juvenile sentence for threatening a judge is not death, the rules state that he CAN stun them

Besides, reflexively pulling the trigger after being startled without really aiming at anything does not really constitute intent to kill. Evidently the law does discriminate in edge cases such as that, showing that it's not all death sentence all the time.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

CronnySockett posted:

It's a nod to Bladeunner; Camera-eyes Nerd is the real Peachtrees Kingpin, he just has a sexbot replicant as a patsy so he has a chance to run when the Judges turn up.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I mean it's either that or her primary weapon is literally her gun and every reference to that is a one dimension simple and literal reference. Either or.

I don't know if this is aimed at me, but I don't disagree with this. I was disagreeing with someone who said "it is never explicitly stated that the Lawgiver is her primary weapon". It is, several times. It is implicit that this is not actually true however.

Khoryos
May 16, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It's a nod to Bladeunner; Camera-eyes Nerd is the real Peachtrees Kingpin, he just has a sexbot replicant as a patsy so he has a chance to run when the Judges turn up.

I chose to assume Ma-Ma was more that just a name to him, if you get my drift...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I think the greatest achievement of this movie is that Anderson is a sidekick that doesn't feel tacked on or superfluous and ends up being someone you really root for. I can't think of any other movie that features a really iconic main character that has managed that.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

Remember dredd is literally a Judge, judges get to decide how the law is interpreted. Law isnt applied immutably in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Tripwyre posted:

I don't know if this is aimed at me, but I don't disagree with this. I was disagreeing with someone who said "it is never explicitly stated that the Lawgiver is her primary weapon". It is, several times. It is implicit that this is not actually true however.

Not at all. Not really aimed at anyone specific. I agree that basically whenever anyone actually says 'Primary Weapon' they are referring to the Lawgiver. There's probably something in that, actually.

• Locked thread