Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

nomapple posted:

I know it was asked earlier in the thread, but any word on whether Heroes & Castles is any good? Looks kinda cool.

I'm enjoying it a lot. You do have to grind a bit, but the levels are fun enough that I don't mind. I've been playing it before I got to bed and find myself staying up way to late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I really enjoyed Heroes but everyone says to stop after the first season.

I haven't seen Castle myself but I've heard good things and Nathan Fillion is great.

Edit: Oh God, not at all the right thread, I misread the question. Disregard.

I love everything about this post.

Temple Run 2 is really fun but runs awful on an iPhone 4 :( I feel like most of my deaths come from the game hiccuping or getting a text during.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

iOS Games Megathread: I've heard good things and Nathan Fillion is great.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

omg chael crash posted:

Kepa, help!

Nothing I do will move Lexi out of here. Well, I guess restarting isn't such a huge issue since I'm so early into the game.

I thought we made it so you can destroy those if you got stuck... maybe not?

Lammy! posted:

Looks like the Punch Quest update is out. Downloaded and threw $15 their way. Any good-guy developer who makes their IAP's as unobtrusive as possible and is rewarded for it by poor profits, and STILL puts out updates deserves the support :colbert:

It's doing pretty good now actually. After we increased the early prices, it righted itself out. That turned out to be the main problem by far.

We plan on doing a small update soon to fix a couple of bugs (Spartan Mode is COVERED IN SPIKES now). Then we'd like to do small content updates every month or two.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Anyone have any idea why Hunters 2 just crashes every time I start it up? It hangs on the first Rodeo Games screen for a few seconds and then just crashes. Form what I can tell from the iTunes store it SHOULD be compatible with my 4.

Zwilnik
Aug 1, 2007

If this game does well I'm writing Airburst next.

omg chael crash posted:

Anyone have any idea why Hunters 2 just crashes every time I start it up? It hangs on the first Rodeo Games screen for a few seconds and then just crashes. Form what I can tell from the iTunes store it SHOULD be compatible with my 4.

Memory fragmentation or duff downloads are the cause of 99% of the unusual crashes on iOS devices (ie when there aren't lots of other players talking about it crashing). Power cycling the device with a complete power off and on again generally sorts the memory fragmentation and if that doesn't work, deleting and re-installing (or even re-downloading) can fix the latter.

Crashing on the initial splash screen of an app could be either. It would be before anything in the game is running, so it's usually a sign of something being corrupted in the binary.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Zwilnik posted:

Memory fragmentation or duff downloads are the cause of 99% of the unusual crashes on iOS devices (ie when there aren't lots of other players talking about it crashing). Power cycling the device with a complete power off and on again generally sorts the memory fragmentation and if that doesn't work, deleting and re-installing (or even re-downloading) can fix the latter.

Crashing on the initial splash screen of an app could be either. It would be before anything in the game is running, so it's usually a sign of something being corrupted in the binary.

I actually just found out via their Facebook that it won't run on a jailbroken device unless it's in safe mode.

Zwilnik
Aug 1, 2007

If this game does well I'm writing Airburst next.

omg chael crash posted:

I actually just found out via their Facebook that it won't run on a jailbroken device unless it's in safe mode.

Ah you should have said it was jailbroken. Totally different situation. Hunters 2 doesn't crash, your phone does ;)

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Anyone playing Beastie Bay? I seem to end up running out of food early on, just after the shop keeper joins your island.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So I've run into this weird problem where I'm using the iPhone instead of my 3DS on the bus because honestly I like being able to listen to poo poo while playing games. I've really been enjoying Fairway Solitaire, and Punch Quest (and I've like, 100%'ed Jetpack Joyride and Middle Manager of Justice.). I like games that move at that pace, like I can pick it up and make some progress and fill some bars and do some things, but the action feels a bit more involved than say, a Tiny Tower where I'm just clicking buttons and watching the game play itself. However, it's an iPhone, so a game like Hundreds is probably too complicated for the smaller screen. I'm not sure what other games to look into though.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Rei_ posted:

So I've run into this weird problem where I'm using the iPhone instead of my 3DS on the bus because honestly I like being able to listen to poo poo while playing games. I've really been enjoying Fairway Solitaire, and Punch Quest (and I've like, 100%'ed Jetpack Joyride and Middle Manager of Justice.). I like games that move at that pace, like I can pick it up and make some progress and fill some bars and do some things, but the action feels a bit more involved than say, a Tiny Tower where I'm just clicking buttons and watching the game play itself. However, it's an iPhone, so a game like Hundreds is probably too complicated for the smaller screen. I'm not sure what other games to look into though.

Look into the Kairosoft catalog. Game Dev Story, Racing Story or whatever it's called, Pocket League Story, Astro Story, Dungeon Village, and Restaurant Story sound right up your alley. The first two are generally considered the best though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Penny Arcade game is really fun. Great deckbuilder game that I like at least as much as Ascension after playing it all weekend. Best $1 I've spent in a while.

Mr EFord
Apr 30, 2006

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached

nomapple posted:

I know it was asked earlier in the thread, but any word on whether Heroes & Castles is any good? Looks kinda cool.

I'm playing through it right now and I'm enjoying it. The controls for moving and attacking with your hero are a little wonky but it still works and the rest of the build/defend mechanics are sound. Theres a decent amount of depth in upgrading as well. It's also actually pretty challenging without feeling cheap.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bottom Liner posted:

The Penny Arcade game is really fun. Great deckbuilder game that I like at least as much as Ascension after playing it all weekend. Best $1 I've spent in a while.

Yeah it made a couple long bus rides a lot more enjoyable today. It could really use an expansion pack or two to add a little more variety, but well worth a buck.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BGrifter posted:

Yeah it made a couple long bus rides a lot more enjoyable today. It could really use an expansion pack or two to add a little more variety, but well worth a buck.

That's what I was just thinking. The only thing I like more about Ascension is the larger variety, but it's still really fun and a nice change after putting a lot of hours into Ascension.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Captain Matchbox posted:

Anyone playing Beastie Bay? I seem to end up running out of food early on, just after the shop keeper joins your island.

Wait, it's out? I don't see it in the store.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Teddybear posted:

Wait, it's out? I don't see it in the store.

It's on the Japanese store with English support.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Speaking of Penny Arcade, My GC is standfirm if any of you crazy kids want to get a game together or two.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Trucker's Delight. Made by Mobigame, makers of Edge and Edge Extended.

Trailer: :nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egcXvqiho4w :nws: and incredibly awesome. I have no idea if the game is as good as the trailer.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

DNK posted:

Trailer: :nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egcXvqiho4w :nws: and incredibly awesome. I have no idea if the game is as good as the trailer.

Holy poo poo, I never realized this was an actual game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah it's been out for like 3 years or something...

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
It was the first game I ever got an a phone and I didn't understand it. I don't remember it that well but I think it was a tilt-to-smash-cars kind of deal and that was it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It was the first game I ever got an a phone and I didn't understand it. I don't remember it that well but I think it was a tilt-to-smash-cars kind of deal and that was it?

Why is the trailer that way?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tuyop posted:

Why is the trailer that way?

The animation came first, they made a game out of it.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012
I've been playing this one on Linux and Android for a couple years now. It's fun and the community is interesting.

Devs are trying to raise money so they can fund a port to iOS.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guild/vendetta-online
http://vendetta-online.com/

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

DNK posted:

How the.. what the.. you play this?

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Is it still possible to swap iTunes accounts on an iPad, download apps off that account, and then swap back? My girlfriend received an iPad for Christmas and I'd like to share some games with her.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

Yep, certainly is. And it's easier now as you can download updates without having to re-enter passwords.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

SteveMcQueen posted:

Is it still possible to swap iTunes accounts on an iPad, download apps off that account, and then swap back? My girlfriend received an iPad for Christmas and I'd like to share some games with her.

The only tricky part is if she's using iTunes Match - signing into another account will disable it, and re-enabling it wipes any downloaded music from the iPad.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

all_purpose_cat_boy posted:

Yep, certainly is. And it's easier now as you can download updates without having to re-enter passwords.

This never works for me. When I installed apps on an iPad that's since been logged in to a different iCloud account, trying to update the apps that came from my iCloud account always prompts a re-log-in.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

Dvlos posted:

How the.. what the.. you play this?

Careful on that Truckers Delight game. The animation came out ages ago and is totally awesome. The game is nothing more than a tilt racing game with basic powerups, not NEARLY as cool or strange as the video from whence it came.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Dumb question i'm sure. Can I buy in-app purchases with appstore credit or are they solely credit card? I have a few giftcards from the holidays, but i pretty much got most apps i'm interested in already. Just wondering if its possible.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Dumb question i'm sure. Can I buy in-app purchases with appstore credit or are they solely credit card? I have a few giftcards from the holidays, but i pretty much got most apps i'm interested in already. Just wondering if its possible.

Yeah, it'll default to gift card balance first, then any outstanding balance would go to a credit card.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Gift cards work fine, I've done it myself numerous times (U.S. appstore if that matters). I don't think my credit card info is even on file at the moment.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Bottom Liner posted:

Where is this $1? I see it up for $5 on the appstore.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Pan Ache posted:

Where is this $1? I see it up for $5 on the appstore.

http://www.appshopper.com/games/penny-arcade-the-game-gamers-vs-evil

App Activity

Price increase, Jan 21 $.99 -> $4.99
Price drop, Jan 17 $4.99 -> $.99

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I've been away from the iOS game scene for a while. Any good RPGs come out in the last 6-12 months?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, you just missed the sale Pan Ache :(

Balckadder, The World Ends With You is fantastic for a premium RPG, one of my favorite DS games in a good port.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
God dammit.

Finished Riven, which whet my appetite for Myst games. And yet, apparently Myst III and IV aren't available as digital downloads from anywhere.

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah
Going overseas, so far i've grabbed these games for the ~24 hours of flight: the walking dead, PvZ HD, blockheads, the room, infinity blade 2.. any other suggestions for long-ish games that could help pass the time quickly for ~24 hours of flying?

• Locked thread