Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Awesome, that explains what I needed to know. Thanks both of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
This has probably been asked before, but I would like to know if there is a work around or if I'm just poo poo out of luck. Popsloader 3.71 thru 6.00 is said not to work on PSP3000s. Is this true? No way around it? A game from my childhood (Digimon World 3) only seems to work under very specific circumstances that it is apparently notorious for, according to Google. Any way to force that to work or could someone at least explain why this model of PSP is incompatible with the pops?

I should clarify: I've actually gotten it to work somewhat with 3.40 and 3.52 (more luck with the former), but highly documented freeze-screens or problem areas are still present, possibly making the game unplayable, where I've seen it reported that 3.71 fixes those issues entirely. I'm running Pro C CFW 6.60.

Shoopuf fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 20, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Shoopuf posted:

This has probably been asked before, but I would like to know if there is a work around or if I'm just poo poo out of luck. Popsloader 3.71 thru 6.00 is said not to work on PSP3000s.

Apparently so.

quote:

Any way to force that to work or could someone at least explain why this model of PSP is incompatible with the pops?

Because some games do Weird poo poo™ that the original PlayStation itself could do but the emulator cannot. (In some cases, things that not even the PS2 could do, and it had the actual PlayStation hardware inside it. Xenogears.)

Sony altered the PoPS library to fix games that went up on its service (like, again, Xenogears), but unless they plan to release Digimon World 3 on the Store (and what are the odds of that now) that isn't likely to happen.

But also the PSP 3000 has some different CPU microcode related to file authentication, and probably the old pops.prx files trip it. Some dude on YouTube has decent evidence he got it to work but he won't release his work as a patch (only as a :filez:) because gently caress the police I guess.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 20, 2013

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I wanted to try out that slowdown-removal patch for FFT WotL last night. The link in the OP was a bunch of :psyduck:, but there's a much easier way. Someone made a working PPF for the ISO, you can find it at romhacking.net. HOWEVER, I had to dig through several threads on FFhacktics to find out that it only works on EUR/PAL ISOs. Apparently, the person who created the PPF had a mis-labelled ISO. :v: Knowing that would've saved me an hour of downloading/transferring/troubleshooting.

E: By the way, using 6.60 Pro-C is the easiest poo poo ever. The fast recovery takes less than 10 seconds. I see no reason whatsoever to use those perma-firmware solutions anymore.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 20, 2013

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Ofecks posted:

E: By the way, using 6.60 Pro-C is the easiest poo poo ever. The fast recovery takes less than 10 seconds. I see no reason whatsoever to use those perma-firmware solutions anymore.

What is the downside, since it saves you 10 seconds every time? :psyduck:

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008

Grawl posted:

What's the upside, since fast recovery is literally a ten second process? Besides, who even turns their PSP off?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
The downside of permanent solutions is that they apparently carry a higher risk of bricking, it really doesn't seem to be an issue anymore but was when some of these CFWs were new.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

What's the upside, since fast recovery is literally a ten second process? Besides, who even turns their PSP off?

My battery dies a lot because there is nothing to play, and when I turn it back on I don't have to spend 10 seconds redoing something.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
How's the PSP translation scene? Anything good coming down the pipes or have they all given up?

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The Valkyria Chronicles 3 translation has been making good progress.

http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Grawl posted:

There are some games that don't work right with custom firmware still, so that's an advantage.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Troffen posted:

The Valkyria Chronicles 3 translation has been making good progress.

http://vc3translationproject.wordpress.com/

I mostly want Dangan Ronpa, I hear good things about it, and I'd rather not want to read an LP to experience it. Are there any active translations for it?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yes, two. Lemme just quote from the LP thread:

Krinkle posted:

Until I got to the end and noticed I could post I believed this thread WAS archived. I think it's fine as is. Is there nearly enough work done here to try to freelance it and get paid to do an English translation port? Searching for this game's name leads straight here, to fan sites that directly link to this page, or to the sequel's thread that also links here. Are they/have they going to/already notice/d that there's a huge interest?

Fedule posted:

There are a whole bunch of reasons besides demand why there will never be an official localization, but if it's a fan patch you want, a bunch of us are working on one that's based on this here LP.

Krinkle posted:

I'm pretty sure googling for this name also leads to that page unless there's another group. The page I saw mentioned the LP and said they were basically done with the prologue.

Fedule posted:

Nah, we aren't Team Zetsubou and they aren't anything to do with this LP. Apparently they've been doing their thing for a year and had no knowledge of the LP, which explains some of their more... interesting... creative decisions. Anyway, we're not them. We're... well, we don't have a name yet. Our PR team isn't entirely on their game. Also we don't have a PR team. It's on the list.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alright, cool. :)

If either of them finish, I hope someone posts it here, as I'm not following the LP at all.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Is UMDGEN something we can still use? Doesn't look like it's been updated in a few years, so I'm wondering it if still works...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Is UMDGEN something we can still use? Doesn't look like it's been updated in a few years, so I'm wondering it if still works...

Yes. It still works in Windows 7.

I haven't tried it in 8.

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008
I've got an old PSP-1001 that I modded to some version of M33 a few years ago (I lost the charger and am waiting on a new one now, so I don't know which). I noticed the OP says not to use M33 now, what's going to be my best bet after I get this beast charged and back on?

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Update the PSP to Official Firmware 6.60, put the 6.60 PRO-B10 files (linked in the OP) in your PSP/GAME Folder on your Memory Stick, run the PRO-B10 Update, then run the CIPL Flasher since you have a 1000.

You're done.

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008

Volfogg posted:

Update the PSP to Official Firmware 6.60, put the 6.60 PRO-B10 files (linked in the OP) in your PSP/GAME Folder on your Memory Stick, run the PRO-B10 Update, then run the CIPL Flasher since you have a 1000.

You're done.

Is the 6.60 PRO-C2 just the newest version? Or should I specifically be grabbing the B10 because of my PSP model?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Stoomie posted:

Is the 6.60 PRO-C2 just the newest version? Or should I specifically be grabbing the B10 because of my PSP model?

Just grab 6.60 Pro-C2 instead of B10. There's not much difference besides that adhoc-online server (though it looks like thats down)., but might as well go for newer.

P.S. for anyone who was avoiding the newest version of Pro-CFW because of that bullshit redirect to ads before downloading (e.g. me, I'm still on B10); thats gone now, thank christ.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Anyone else having trouble with emulating patched SNES roms?

Specifically, I am trying to play the Zelda3 Parallel Remodel:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/956/

But the emulator just loads a black screen.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Check it against other emulators. Could be you fed it a ROM in the wrong format or something.

If it IS a problem specific to your emulator, it might just be something you have to deal with, because I can't imagine there will be many updates to PSP-based SNES emulators anytime soon.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Mister Roboto posted:

Anyone else having trouble with emulating patched SNES roms?

Specifically, I am trying to play the Zelda3 Parallel Remodel:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/956/

But the emulator just loads a black screen.

I downloaded the patch from the link you gave and I used it on the first ROM I found with the file name it wanted, and it worked perfectly in snes9xtyl or whatever. Thanks though, this looks pretty cool.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Does 6.60 allow you to transfer PSN games from the PS3? I have 6.20 PRO-B9 right now and it's telling me on the PS3 that I need to update.

EDIT: Also, what path do I need to take from here, since I guess everything post-6.20 requires something special be done to it?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Check it against other emulators. Could be you fed it a ROM in the wrong format or something.

If it IS a problem specific to your emulator, it might just be something you have to deal with, because I can't imagine there will be many updates to PSP-based SNES emulators anytime soon.

Ara posted:

I downloaded the patch from the link you gave and I used it on the first ROM I found with the file name it wanted, and it worked perfectly in snes9xtyl or whatever. Thanks though, this looks pretty cool.

Thanks guys, turns out it was a ROM error and it worked after some re-checking.

Offhand, if anyone knows of any good SNES rom edits, I'd be interested.

Chrono Trigger got some good ones.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Thanks guys, turns out it was a ROM error and it worked after some re-checking.

Offhand, if anyone knows of any good SNES rom edits, I'd be interested.

Chrono Trigger got some good ones.

There's a million and a half SMW ROMhacks. They used to be poo poo, but they've gotten progressively better ever since the community at SMWCentral have been pushing people to actually put effort and good level design in. I'll just give you pretty much the best one there is: http://www.fpi-productions.de/tsrp1.htm Made when many hacks were still iffy, it's still the best one I know. Disclaimer: I've been out of the loop for the past few years.

Really nice graphic swap that keeps the same feel, great level design, interesting world structure, and not ball crushingly difficult or anything.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

I also found this page at the same place as the Zelda hack was, a few of these look pretty cool.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Demitri Omni posted:

Does 6.60 allow you to transfer PSN games from the PS3? I have 6.20 PRO-B9 right now and it's telling me on the PS3 that I need to update.

EDIT: Also, what path do I need to take from here, since I guess everything post-6.20 requires something special be done to it?

The standard New PSP custom firmware installation is Update to 6.60 > Install Pro-C2 > Party Time.

Give going straight to 6.60 a shot. If you can't update from the Network Update in Settings, either turn off the custom update in the CFW Recovery Menu > Configuration (press Select to get that far) or just go download 6.60 from playstation.com.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 10, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Oh, awesome. Pro-C2 can't load legit PS1 games right now. Just crashes out with error code FFFFFFFF after the warning screen.

Some dude on the issue tracker won't shut up with "go back to Pro-C fix3", like that will either fix Pro-C2 or make the links to Pro-C fix3 magically reappear out of the aether.

So yeah, if that's a dealbreaker maybe hold off on the update until that gets worked out.

EDIT: Pro-C2's change is a fix for something in NoDRM. The procfw issue tracker has no corresponding issue for this change. Could be it was completely behind the scenes, but either way, if you play PS1 games from the PSN on your PSP at all and you can find a copy of Pro-C fix3 I'd fall back unless you actually have a NoDRM issue.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 10, 2013

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Oh, awesome. Pro-C2 can't load legit PS1 games right now. Just crashes out with error code FFFFFFFF after the warning screen.

Try holding the right shoulder button when loading and select "original from flash". Not sure if you need popsloader installed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Grawl posted:

Try holding the right shoulder button when loading and select "original from flash". Not sure if you need popsloader installed.

Yeah, you're talking about a PoPSloader menu.

Is this a confirmation or a suggestion?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Yeah, you're talking about a PoPSloader menu.

Is this a confirmation or a suggestion?

I had the same problem loading PSX games and it worked fine when I used that option.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So interesting scenario.

Is there a way to access a Japanese PSN account on a PSP? Maybe with CFW?

Most sources I've seen says to install a Japanese firmware, but would CFW work on top of that?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ineffiable posted:

So interesting scenario.

Is there a way to access a Japanese PSN account on a PSP? Maybe with CFW?

Most sources I've seen says to install a Japanese firmware, but would CFW work on top of that?

The problem isn't that you can't access a Japanese PSN account from an out-of-region PSP - you pretty much just type it in and go - the problem is that there's no mechanism for using multiple accounts simultaneously on the PSP.

I don't know if there's any way to do this easily even with CFW.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You can access the Japanese PSN from a foreign region PSP. I've written some stuff about it here, which worked the last time I ever actually bothered to switch the account on my PSP (which was like 2011 I think?)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

You can access the Japanese PSN from a foreign region PSP. I've written some stuff about it here, which worked the last time I ever actually bothered to switch the account on my PSP (which was like 2011 I think?)

For what it's worth, it seems to work with Media Go, but when I tried signing in on the PSP (using the same account/pass) it just gives me this account/pass is incorrect, and I already deleted the previous account.

I think CFW also strips the account activation so transferring them to a PSP with Media Go (from an account that has obviously legally purchased on a PS3/PC) works.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

The problem isn't that you can't access a Japanese PSN account from an out-of-region PSP - you pretty much just type it in and go - the problem is that there's no mechanism for using multiple accounts simultaneously on the PSP.

I don't know if there's any way to do this easily even with CFW.

The closest we got is a homebrew that makes it quicker to switch accounts. Basically it just copy&pastes your license info, so you don't have to connect online everytime. Still annoying, but better than nothing, I guess.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Grawl posted:

I had the same problem loading PSX games and it worked fine when I used that option.

I have the new POPSloader (v4f) under 'original from flash' and also I tried with just the modules, no plugin at all, and it still crashes to XMB with error code FFFFFFFF.

In the event that you have games, downloaded from the PSN and activated on your PSP, running under PRO-C2 specifically, post your steps.

Guacala
Jul 19, 2009

If anyone is having issues with their eBoots not loading when upgrading to PRO, you can always extract the iso from the eBoot with PSX2PSP and reconvert the file with an updated patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Is it a bad idea to buy a used PSP-1000 these days? Since they're the oldest models, I wonder if any PSP-1000 has that much longevity or if they're all likely to break and die simply from being old and used. Anyone know if they're made to last well?

• Locked thread