Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

What's the best course of action to take on the application assessment questionnaires? If I don't choose the best possible answer on each question, will my application even make it to the next round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Ron Don Volante posted:

What's the best course of action to take on the application assessment questionnaires? If I don't choose the best possible answer on each question, will my application even make it to the next round?

Put the best possible spin on your experience without being dishonest. As long as your application scores above the cut off, it has a chance of being read by a human.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Is there a typical cut-off score that applies to most jobs or does it vary by competitiveness? I just got a 92 on one application and I'm wondering if that's too low (on the other hand, it's for a job in Detroit).

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I know there's a cutoff, I don't know what it is or if it varies by job though. I just got an email last week saying I wasn't selected for an interview because I did not score high enough on the assessment.

In other news, I've been applying to TONS of stuff on usajobs. Today I found quite a few jobs in my field that have vacancies in a bunch of locations. I mean upwards of 700 locations for a couple of the jobs. So I applied and just checked every box for "location preference". I feel like I just applied for five thousand jobs.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ron Don Volante posted:

Is there a typical cut-off score that applies to most jobs or does it vary by competitiveness? I just got a 92 on one application and I'm wondering if that's too low (on the other hand, it's for a job in Detroit).

Several years ago before the demise of the Federal Career Intern Program I applied for a position in with a posting in Detroit. I got a 96 on the assessment, and the cutoff for Detroit (the lowest of the entire thing) was 97. Not that I'm still bitter about that or anything, nope.

:argh:

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

This is only tangentially related, but does anybody know anything about winning government contracts on FBO.gov? I don't mean working for a contractor (such as the GiP thread), but rather bidding directly on government solicitations either as an individual or as an LLC.

I have some vague, half-formed fantasies along such lines but it looks like there is a ton to learn before it becomes anything more than a daydream.

Canadian Tapeworm
Feb 14, 2012
I'm currently working as a Civil Engineer for USAF so I can be added to the front page if it ever gets updated.

I'm looking at going back to school to get a Master's in Public Policy/Public Admin because I'm really interested in public policy with a focus on urban planning/transportation. What would be the ideal department to be looking for jobs -- Trans., HUD? Something else? Do I even need to go back to school or is my degree and P.E. license enough to shift out of "hard engineering" and into policy?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Suntory BOSS posted:

This is only tangentially related, but does anybody know anything about winning government contracts on FBO.gov? I don't mean working for a contractor (such as the GiP thread), but rather bidding directly on government solicitations either as an individual or as an LLC.

I have some vague, half-formed fantasies along such lines but it looks like there is a ton to learn before it becomes anything more than a daydream.

Solicitation comes with a list of requirements - you submit a stack of paperwork according the directions on the posting. The requirements are usually pretty clear (deadlines, fonts & formatting, etc) but often there's a Q&A back and forth if something in the scope of services is confusing. Usually you have to show some sort of similar experience or competence. I don't know about all industries, but when I submit something that came from FBO or bizops it is usually an ordeal of paperwork, forms, certificates, requirements, and assembling a team of resumes. Bigger engineering firms have people assigned to this task only, but there's nothing that says you can't do it on your own. Good luck.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Suntory BOSS posted:

I have about five years of experience doing this (responding to US Government solicitations) as a proposal manager, writer and editor. FBO.gov is only the tip of the iceberg, but it's also one of the largest websites for Federal procurement actions. GSA Advantage eBuy (requires you to have an active General Schedule registration) and the newly purchased Deltek GovWin (formerly INPUT) are the other two big ones.

If you have more specific questions about the general process(es) involved, or about the nuts and bolts of submitting a bid, feel free to post or PM me, and I'll try to answer as much as I can.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I recently lost my job, and am looking now looking for entry level government/contract work as an electrical engineer. I had a few questions about the online resume on usajobs:
1) When selecting your desired area, there are a series of drop downs to select states then counties. Is there any way to indicate that I don't really care, or at least make it so things are excluded because they aren't on my list?
2) I had a job that I did over two time ranges, June 10 to Sept 10 and June 11 to Sept 11. The drop downs only let you set one range per job. Should I list it as two jobs? A combined range? Neither seems right.

I fully expect the answers to both of these to be "Eh, it doesn't really matter".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you've lost your job, you should focus your efforts on applying to private industry/contracting and THEN apply to the federal government after you're back to full time employment. Getting hired by the federal government (especially right now when most agencies are under a hiring freeze) usually takes 4 months to a year.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I don't understand how the assessment score works. I answered Yes to every single question (legitimately) and I got a 96. The only thing I can think of that would affect it is a question asking how many different jobs I've had in the past 3 years. I said 3-4, but other options were 1-2, 5-6, and 7 or more. Could that be what's affecting my score, or is it not even a 100-point scale?

darsh5000
Dec 10, 2005

#2Terms2Chainz
How do you see your score on the assessments? I've applied for several entry-level pathways positions in various agencies, and haven't been able to see my scores on the respective assessments.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

If you apply to a job that uses the same assessment as one you've already completed, it shows you the score you received before and lets you choose whether you want to keep that score or retake the assessment.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
Two of my apps with State Department got referred to the selection official :frogsiren: I guess they like law degrees a whole lot more than the other agencies I've been applying to. How does this work, do they e-mail me to let me know I'm getting a phone interview, or will they just call me and do it on the spot?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
In the past, I've gotten emails providing a time for a phone interview. Or nothing, which sucks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I've seen a couple jobs that have two postings, a regular one and a status/VEOA one. I am VEOA eligible, does it matter which one I apply to?

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Applying to a Library of Congress Fellowship, they want two letters of recommendation and I've definitely got one in on time. I'm worried about another and have prompted that person to please get in before it closes. I'm scrambling to get another LoR. Does anyone know how they view applicants with only one LoR (heaven forbid)?

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've seen a couple jobs that have two postings, a regular one and a status/VEOA one. I am VEOA eligible, does it matter which one I apply to?

Apply to both. It gives you a better chance to be listed on multiple certificates.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Is there a way to remove jobs you've applied for from your "Application Status" page? I have a bunch on there that I've already been rejected for (and a couple that I didn't complete because I realized I was unqualified halfway through applying) and they are just sitting there cluttering up the page.

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010
On some USAJOBS applications, there's an assessment that looks like this:

Why do they post an assessment that amounts to "click these radio buttons right here"?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who bothers to check the OPM operating status before work.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

psydude posted:

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who bothers to check the OPM operating status before work.

My first day of work was today. I start at noon :v:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wound up having to go in anyway because none of my other contractor coworkers bothered to look at it and were all like "WELL IF WE MADE IT IN SO CAN YOU" and then my boss came and picked me up because the shuttle wasn't running.

But since there's nobody here, I'm spending my time dicking around on the internet anyway so it's basically like having the morning off.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

psydude posted:

That's why I sign up for OPM status listserv and follow them on Facebook. Here's the listserv registration: http://apps.opm.gov/Listserv_Apps/list-sub.cfm

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Last month I was given a "tentative offer" of employment in the DoD's Keystone program as a Computer Engineer. It's a position that starts GS7 with a GS12 target grade after 3 years of training. The way it was worded was that it was a "tentative" offer that would become "firm" upon completing the Secret Security Clearance process. I've filled out all the forms, and though there was a strange delay in getting my fingerprint cards, I got that done and taken care of last week finally.

But now I'm getting kind of nervous. There's been all this talk about the Defense Sequester in Congress, so apparently the DoD has decided "to lay off all 46,000 it's temporary and contract workers" as a preliminary step to make sure they can find the money if the sequester happens. I haven't even gotten my firm offer yet since I'm still waiting on security clearance. Am I screwed? Is there even anyone I can ask? Or are my fears completely unfounded?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Justus posted:

Last month I was given a "tentative offer" of employment in the DoD's Keystone program as a Computer Engineer. It's a position that starts GS7 with a GS12 target grade after 3 years of training. The way it was worded was that it was a "tentative" offer that would become "firm" upon completing the Secret Security Clearance process. I've filled out all the forms, and though there was a strange delay in getting my fingerprint cards, I got that done and taken care of last week finally.

But now I'm getting kind of nervous. There's been all this talk about the Defense Sequester in Congress, so apparently the DoD has decided "to lay off all 46,000 it's temporary and contract workers" as a preliminary step to make sure they can find the money if the sequester happens. I haven't even gotten my firm offer yet since I'm still waiting on security clearance. Am I screwed? Is there even anyone I can ask? Or are my fears completely unfounded?
DoD has enacted an across-the board hiring freeze; existing offers for permanent positions are being honored, but temp positions are not, and no new offers can be made. If you were given a formal offer, you're in. If there was no formal offer in writing... check with your HR rep. Since they brought you in to do the security clearance process, I'm thinking you're OK.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

grover posted:

DoD has enacted an across-the board hiring freeze; existing offers for permanent positions are being honored, but temp positions are not, and no new offers can be made. If you were given a formal offer, you're in. If there was no formal offer in writing... check with your HR rep. Since they brought you in to do the security clearance process, I'm thinking you're OK.

Cool. I think I'll be fine then. I do have an offer in writing. I even had to sign it, scan it, and send it back. That's a huge load off my mind. Thanks!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Put another way, if the government was willing to spend the cash to do a clearance adjudication, you're in the system. Don't worry.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't even want to imagine the kind of meltdown that would happen here if State laid off all of its contracted employees, since over 3/4 of my department is made up of contractors.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

psydude posted:

I don't even want to imagine the kind of meltdown that would happen here if State laid off all of its contracted employees, since over 3/4 of my department is made up of contractors.

Thankfully, I don't think that's gonna happen. AFAIK, it's only the Pentagon laying off contractors, and only because Congress decided to punt on the sequester for two months.

It's good to know that as a Federal employee, I won't be the most expendable part of Defense. (though I must admit, I wish they'd defund over-wrought programs like the F-35 before laying off any personnel.)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Well I guess this explains why I haven't seen any NGA postings for a while.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

psydude posted:

This didn't effect me since I'm designated as an "emergency essential" employee. I still had to show up a 6AM.

Oaks
Oct 9, 2007

Justus posted:

Thankfully, I don't think that's gonna happen. AFAIK, it's only the Pentagon laying off contractors, and only because Congress decided to punt on the sequester for two months.

It's good to know that as a Federal employee, I won't be the most expendable part of Defense. (though I must admit, I wish they'd defund over-wrought programs like the F-35 before laying off any personnel.)

Hah, that's exactly what I've been saying. THIRD GENERATION WARFAAAAAARE

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well I guess this explains why I haven't seen any NGA postings for a while.

Yeah, I wouldn't get you hopes up for this fiscal year.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

CherryCola posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't get you hopes up for this fiscal year.

Don't say that. :negative:

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

HiroProtagonist posted:

Don't say that. :negative:

Considering Obama just had a press conference and didn't sound too hopeful about reaching a decision by March 1st, I'd say things don't look great.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Maybe this is better suited for the Foreign Service thread, but does anyone here know what agencies have positions for people who perform analysis of countries & regions? I remember seeing a lecture a few years ago by a government official whose job would sometimes entail playing wargames with his colleagues. Kind of like model UN, except with seasoned foreign policy experts. I for the life of me cannot remember what agency he worked with.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
State Department(bureau of intelligence and research), CIA, probably NSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DIA and the DoD's strategic planning office will develop and play wargames using input from regional experts and other sources, as well.