Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Godholio posted:

What's that third one?

League of Legends.

Fallom posted:

PS2's F2P stuff is ok. It doesn't feel really scammy but it's still a huge bummer to run into people who can kill you a lot faster depending on how much money they spent or how much longer they've been playing it.

Like when you're just starting out you won't have missile defense for your tank, its armor will be really low, and the acquisition timer will be really high so it's really frustrating getting taken out by a single guy standing on a cliff with lock-on missiles before you can move out of range or into cover. Same goes for dealing with rocket pods on aircraft, which were really rare during the beta but are everywhere in the release version.

People playing longer should be able to beat you, that's just part of the game. It's a MMO FPS. There are a few things that stand out from the F2P model that really suck though, namely the NC heavy assault starter gun being complete rear end (with the VS/TR guns being awesome) and the rocket pods for aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Vasudus posted:

PS2, TF2 and LoL have the best F2P models. A I guess Dota 2 does but I don't know anything about that personally.

I'd say World of Tanks is pretty nice too.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vasudus posted:

People playing longer should be able to beat you, that's just part of the game. It's a MMO FPS. There are a few things that stand out from the F2P model that really suck though, namely the NC heavy assault starter gun being complete rear end (with the VS/TR guns being awesome) and the rocket pods for aircraft.

Or you can pay your way to skip all of the grind. Either way I'm not really that into it, I don't remember the gulf between new players and vets being as huge as it is in PS1 and I got sick of that game after like a year. I got tired of PS2 in like a week.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

vacation in kabul posted:

Or you can pay your way to skip all of the grind. Either way I'm not really that into it, I don't remember the gulf between new players and vets being as huge as it is in PS1 and I got sick of that game after like a year. I got tired of PS2 in like a week.

The only thing you can skip is the price of the guns. You still need to cert everything about your character or vehicles, and every detail about the guns themselves except for the base. And with the exception of the NC HA gun, all the starter guns are pretty amazing for infantry. Vehicles I'll concede on, at least for ESFs. Not having any rockets for them, A2A or A2G, is garbage.

The biggest gulf is the fact that having a sub/boosts simply lets you get certs faster. It adds up when you've been playing for awhile. The difference between me, who has like 200 hours logged with a sub, and someone who has say, 20 hours without one is the fact that while he might have a fully kitted out [class] and a half kitted out [vehicle], I've got almost everything kitted out with the must-haves, giving me much greater freedom.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

People playing longer should be able to beat you, that's just part of the game.

Yeah and it's the part of the game that makes it hell on people just starting out. The people playing the longest are a LOT more capable.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maybe it's cause I got into the initial PS1 release and played pretty consistently, but I don't ever remember the kind of off-balance poo poo I've seen in PS2 in PS1. Like I'll unload almost an entire clip on another light infantry dude, then he'll turn around and plink plink I'm dead. I just quit every time because respawning and finding good position just takes too drat long when I'm getting destroyed by someone with less skill than me because I don't have the right certs or whatever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maybe it's cause I got into the initial PS1 release and played pretty consistently, but I don't ever remember the kind of off-balance poo poo I've seen in PS2 in PS1. Like I'll unload almost an entire clip on another light infantry dude, then he'll turn around and plink plink I'm dead. I just quit every time because respawning and finding good position just takes too drat long when I'm getting destroyed by someone with less skill than me because I don't have the right certs or whatever.

Nothing pisses me off more than trying to take out a guy at long distance, landing multiple shots without killing him, and then taking 3 perfect hits in a row and dying. Is it lag? I don't know.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If it makes you feel any better I suck at PS2 and I have no idea how the cert poo poo works. All I know is there were a lot fewer guys hitting on my female character than in PS1...that was hilariously ridiculous. My initial character, before UncleJoey, was named HugeKnockers just like in PS1.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

You're not...you're not playing an infil are you? Because if you are, that's your problem right there. They're loving terrible and need some serious work.

Fallom posted:

Nothing pisses me off more than trying to take out a guy at long distance, landing multiple shots without killing him, and then taking 3 perfect hits in a row and dying. Is it lag? I don't know.

It could be lag, or it could be that they have a weapon geared up for long range stuff. I rarely do anything long range personally, almost everything I use has laser sights for hip firing, and the stuff I do have for longer ranges doesn't get anything beyond a 2x reflex scope. Some people are goddamn savants with some weapons though, like a VS Nova shotgun with Slugs - which is a better sniper rifle than an actual sniper rifle.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Still not sure if I'm having fun playing PS2.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

xwonderboyx posted:

Still not sure if I'm having fun playing PS2.

The game is pretty loving awful unless you're in a squad/platoon that at least has half an idea what they're doing. Then it's really, really fun.

This is why I play NC on Matherson.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm having fun right now playing as NC on Matherson, although the goon platoon doesn't seem to be making any progress anywhere.

What's the recommended gun for NC heavy assault? Is it the 50-shot one for 100 certs?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Fallom posted:

I'm having fun right now playing as NC on Matherson, although the goon platoon doesn't seem to be making any progress anywhere.

What's the recommended gun for NC heavy assault? Is it the 50-shot one for 100 certs?

Overall - EM6. Close range - Anchor.

Actually, pretty much anything BUT the Gauss SAW.

Goon platoon progress is pretty varied depending on the time of day, who is leading and what we're up against. I'll probably start playing again after I get Skyrim out of my system.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Dominoes posted:

TF2's the only free-to-play I've seen that isn't a scam.

If you like hardcore ARPGs check out Path of Exile. Open Beta starts tomorrow, but I've been playing in the closed Beta for a few weeks now and love it. It's F2P and the only things you pay for are more storage space (which you can do without) and cosmetic items. It's pretty loving rad.

I played PS2 for a few days but quickly became frustrated by the same things vik mentioned. I'm generally pretty good at shooters and am willing to log hours to level my dude but I just couldn't be assed to do it in this game.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 21, 2013

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

Defleshed posted:

I played PS2 for a few days but quickly became frustrated by the same things vik mentioned. I'm generally pretty good at shooters and am willing to log hours to level my dude but I just couldn't be assed to do it in this game.

It took me to about level 15 in PS2 before I got "good" (1:1 kill ratio).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Blacklight: Retribution is a really good F2P shooter. You can spend money for weapons and gear or just play a few hours every week to earn enough in-game cred to rent the poo poo for anywhere from an hour to a week. Essentially, once you earn a few thousand credits (5-6 hours of play) while continuing to play it once or twice a week, you can run with the same gear without dropping a penny.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS posted:

It took me to about level 15 in PS2 before I got "good" (1:1 kill ratio).

They actually are planning on removing the ability to see KDR because it's a bad stat for the game. Score/hour is a much better metric.

I semi-frequently go 100-120:1 in my Lightning so it throws my KDR way the gently caress off, because my infantry KDR is like 1.5:1, or 2.5:1 with assists. I am BR 47.

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

Vasudus posted:

Score/hour is a much better metric.

Truth. If you really are concerned about your KDR in PS2 then you are not having fun :)

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
On Waterson for PS2 as DannieTanner

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

On Waterson for PS2 as DannieTanner

Hopefully we'll have a the whole Full House cast soon :hfive: Once I get done with this GRE crap I'll be on quite a bit.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
Oh god how do I play this I don't know what I'm doing

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wait what server is everyone on? I've been playing on Matheson as FirstLady (my character is a black chick) and after reading this thread I'm going to give PS2 another try. Mostly cause I got a lot of time on my hands.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're not NC on Matherson you're doing it wrong.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Vasudus posted:

Can KimmyGibbler come help kill people w/ you guys tonight??

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Hopefully we'll have a the whole Full House cast soon :hfive: Once I get done with this GRE crap I'll be on quite a bit.

Im reserving comet!!!!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I made a character on Matherson as VC and ran around with some goons earlier and feel like I kind of have the hang of it. I only like the Light Assault trooper guy cause I like jetpacking everywhere.

Edit: Although those buttholes never added me to the outfit.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 22, 2013

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

Vasudus posted:

:megaman: Space Nazis or bust :megaman:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

:megaman: Space Nazis or bust :megaman:

We should go get slaughtered tonight.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
So what server / faction or whatever should I join?

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
NC on Matherson seems to be the ticket.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

NC.. matheson.. got it

look for kimmygibbler or HerrGoebels

Edit I'm ThirdReichBestReich

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

If that's the case I'll set up another account and join the space libertarians.

e: Shall we made a GiP outfit?

ee: I'm AfricanHitler

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 22, 2013

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

If that's the case I'll set up another account and join the space libertarians.

e: Shall we made a GiP outfit?

I vote you commander.

Also goddamn this game is not user friendly-- I joined up and couldn't figure out how to get from.. one of the continents to "indar" quick enough so my squad and my platoon kicked me, and then I kept running around looking for a fight and couldn't find anyone except teamates to kill because I can't tell the difference between friendly and enemy (I'm roleplaying afghan national army) and then finally I saw I had to go to the warpgate on the upper left part of the map to get to this indar place, but it's loving 4 clicks away and I run slows as gently caress.

Got halfway there, said gently caress it, logged out until there is some kinda GIP squad or something I can thoroughly drag down.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I friended you in that game.

I don't have a headset right now so I really can't do the teammate stuff.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
on NC Matherson as MengelePizza

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

I vote you commander.

Voting Vas for consistency and I enjoy shirking responsibility :)

"HitlersHeroes" is my recommendation for an outfit name.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone still playing chivalry? I just unlocked the veteran helmets for vanguard (just slap some gold poo poo on there!) and am actually getting decent enough at it to get 1:1.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I'm on matherson as FartSandwiches. Is that the name you need to friend people or do you need my station name? If so it's whiskeyoclock.

As difficult as it is to get into the game, I can't stop thinking about it for some reason. Can't wait to get on tonight, run around aimlessly and get killed from someone I never saw!

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 22, 2013

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You don't use the station name, you add whatever the name on the server is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
So last night I got on PS2 and ended up in a squad where people were talking and actually working together. Something finally clicked and it was ridiculously fun. Think I'll be playing a lot more now.

• Locked thread