Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
My motivation and set goal is to keep fit and have fun while doing it. My next major target is to still be fit and in good shape (better than now I hope!) when I hit 40 after many more years. Also to hang out with people who I consider friends, and on the side teach what little I have learned to new people in hopes of giving them a spark.

I'm lucky my goals are not more grandiose than that but it's enough to keep me going to the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyUses
Dec 26, 2012

It was 99% effort and 1% talent. Continuance will become strength.

TollTheHounds posted:

It's not that I don't think I have room for improvement, I've only been doing this for a year and a half now I think, I guess it's just that what I have left to learn isn't really...enticing? Or to word it differently I guess I don't have the drive any more to perfect what I already know.

Maybe that gym won't put you up for a fight but if you're running outside of your regular training and eating properly, 2x a week isn't THAT bad when you consider the level of fights that some promoters will put on. I'm sure you could find somebody outside of your gym who would put you on a card against someone of a similar skill level in a whitecollar environment.

mewse posted:

All boxers are more afraid of being humiliated than getting hurt.
"On Boxing' by Joyce Carol Oates looks at boxing and the motivations for boxing in a similar light. It's a great read and you can find the pdf online.

SlyUses fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 18, 2013

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

SlyUses posted:

Maybe that gym won't put you up for a fight but if you're running outside of your regular training and eating properly, 2x a week isn't THAT bad when you consider the level of fights that some promoters will put on. I'm sure you could find somebody outside of your gym who would put you on a card against someone of a similar skill level in a whitecollar environment..

It's loving awful for a fighter, and you should be drat worried about anyone who would put a fighter like that on a card, because there's definitely something wrong there.

The intense training is not only so you can win, but primarily it's for YOUR safety. You'll know once you've been in a fight. Quit whining and train, or just admit you're not really a fighter. There's nothing wrong with doing martial arts for fun

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I greyed out a bit at training tonight.

I wasn't choked or anything, just exertion, I think. There was no hold or choke on me at the time, I actually had a pretty good open guard going on.

I kind of got tunnel vision like I was being choked, and my hands seemed to release the grips I had on my opponent's gi all by themselves and I lost my balance completely and slumped flat on my back. I was fine 5 minutes afterwards. That's nothing to worry about, right? I just went too hard?

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
My Motivation is that I love training and I would fight a man who would stop me. I love everything, the focus training/game, the no-ego training/game, the physical training/game, the mental training/game, an unlimited amount of things, really, as well as the fun.

I fight to make sure my poo poo is real and I can do this. I like challenging myself I think, especially mentally.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

AlphaDog posted:

I greyed out a bit at training tonight.

I wasn't choked or anything, just exertion, I think. There was no hold or choke on me at the time, I actually had a pretty good open guard going on.

I kind of got tunnel vision like I was being choked, and my hands seemed to release the grips I had on my opponent's gi all by themselves and I lost my balance completely and slumped flat on my back. I was fine 5 minutes afterwards. That's nothing to worry about, right? I just went too hard?

Yeah you probably just forgot to breathe and gassed out, or maybe you hadn't had enough water that day. There's tons of ways and reasons you can start to black out that are unrelated to being choked, so if it doesn't happen again I wouldn't sweat it. As always prevention is the best cure though so if you're seriously worried, talk to a doctor.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I like martial arts because it keeps me off the forums for minutes, sometimes hours, at a time.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Thanks for the advice guys!

I think I'm going to start with a short break, try to hit it hard again, then let the cards fall where they may. If that means doing judo/bjj or something else unrelated to striking then so be it. As others mentioned I might just be burned out on doing the basics constantly. In the beginning there is always this real sense of excitement from the progression because you go from "what is kick??" to "I'm liking my kicks, form is good, could be better, but I need to perfect my range a bit as my next goal". Now I'm at the point where I feel like my only progression is minute, imperceptible improvements to something I can already do ( just not perfectly ) and I have to be a sperg about it. Which is to say, right now it's just not as fun.

I suppose that relates ultimately to my long-term goals and why I do this in the first place and I never really had that conversation with myself until now. I have no illusions here, I don't consider myself a "fighter", it isn't a lifelong dream or anything to be in the UFC/MMA/MT ring. It was just a very long-term end-goal I could use to justify to myself the time/effort - other than the fitness aspect. Now that I've been brought back to reality a bit I just have to re-evaluate and come up with a more realistic end-game for the time I am willing to commit.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 18, 2013

SlyUses
Dec 26, 2012

Guilty posted:

It's loving awful for a fighter, and you should be drat worried about anyone who would put a fighter like that on a card, because there's definitely something wrong there.

If the fighters are at a similar level, under the right kind of rulset with 16oz gloves, headguards and shinguards etc then I don't see what the problem will be, personally. I went to an event not too long ago that was a fire department vs. police whitecollar boxing type of deal. Most of the people there had been training for a few months consistently, and specifically for this event and raised money for charity in doing so. Each bout was only 2 rounds lasting a minute and a half each. Nearly every fight was poor and a lot ended in draws with no finishes apart from one cut. Plenty of fights on whitecollar cards here don't bother with a judges decision either, because there's an "everybody wins" emphasis and the paying audience is composed entirely of friends and family members. I've seen much more damage done to trained fighters in amateur boxing than the hobbyists in whitecollar boxing (on some types of shows, some have a more competitive angle anyway where it'll be about the same). If this guy has trained a year and a half at 2x a week then someone could probably get him safely matched up. That's all I was saying.

SlyUses fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 18, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Makrond posted:

Yeah you probably just forgot to breathe and gassed out, or maybe you hadn't had enough water that day. There's tons of ways and reasons you can start to black out that are unrelated to being choked, so if it doesn't happen again I wouldn't sweat it. As always prevention is the best cure though so if you're seriously worried, talk to a doctor.

Yeah that's what the coach said too. Also that he used to see it all the time with people who went to Brazil to train.

It wasn't hot when it happened but it was super hot the day before and I didn't sleep much and etc etc I'm sure it's fine.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Do you guys have any recommendations for ab exercises aside from crunches and sit-ups? I feel I could use more strength there.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 19, 2013

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

And know when to see a doctor. Like an idiot I put off having my shoulder checked out until I was barely able to lift my arm over my head. By that point the surgeon wasn't sure he would be able to do a repair without open-joint surgery.

Remember that you're going to be an old man someday and the more bad decisions you make now, the shittier your life will be then.

And if you see a doctor and they don't do anything, go to another doctor and keep doing this until one of them respects your problem and gets you checked out. Don't go compete when you can't lift your arm above your shoulder like I have.

Look for a younger doctor, a female doctor, or one with martial arts experience. If you mention what you do and they don't really understand it, go somewhere else.
I've gone to a lot of older male doctors who look at even an injured young guy as some kind of superhuman who doesn't need treatment because you're young and male and can do things they've never been capable of.

mewse
May 2, 2006

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for ab exercises aside from crunches and sit-ups? I feel I could use more strength there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOHLPlLwTiM

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

SlyUses posted:

If the fighters are at a similar level, under the right kind of rulset with 16oz gloves, headguards and shinguards etc then I don't see what the problem will be, personally. I went to an event not too long ago that was a fire department vs. police whitecollar boxing type of deal. Most of the people there had been training for a few months consistently, and specifically for this event and raised money for charity in doing so. Each bout was only 2 rounds lasting a minute and a half each. Nearly every fight was poor and a lot ended in draws with no finishes apart from one cut. Plenty of fights on whitecollar cards here don't bother with a judges decision either, because there's an "everybody wins" emphasis and the paying audience is composed entirely of friends and family members. I've seen much more damage done to trained fighters in amateur boxing than the hobbyists in whitecollar boxing (on some types of shows, some have a more competitive angle anyway where it'll be about the same). If this guy has trained a year and a half at 2x a week then someone could probably get him safely matched up. That's all I was saying.

Sounds like a lot of excuses for justifying a dumb macho thing. Why bother training at all?

Edit: for the record I also disapprove of white collar boxing. It just encourages awful technique

SlyUses
Dec 26, 2012

Guilty posted:

Sounds like a lot of excuses for justifying a dumb macho thing. Why bother training at all?

Edit: for the record I also disapprove of white collar boxing. It just encourages awful technique

Don't see how people wanting to get a fight in whitecollar is "a dumb macho thing" at all or that their reasons for training would be any different from other fighters.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SlyUses posted:

Don't see how people wanting to get a fight in whitecollar is "a dumb macho thing" at all or that their reasons for training would be any different from other fighters.

The machismo is the line between when it's sportive to get in the ring and when it's more to satisfy one's ego. I'll grant you a guy with a year's training might not grossly hyperextend his elbows when throwing punches, but there's gonna be a lot of serious holes in his game. Stuff that Guilty is saying a responsible trainer would not accept in an amateur ring fighter.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Look for a younger doctor, a female doctor, or one with martial arts experience. If you mention what you do and they don't really understand it, go somewhere else.

Yeah, there's definitely a difference between doctor shopping and going somewhere you're taken seriously. I've had huge, obvious issues waved off by doctors who were dismissive/distracted/just bad at their jobs.

I tell trainers, coaches and doctors the same thing every time: "I have a fight on my 75th birthday and I want to be ready for it."

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think the thing being discussed here is the way that a grappler can enter competitions no matter how seriously he trains, while a striker can only enter a competition if he trains five nights a week for a long stretch of time. It seems unfair but I suppose there are bigger safety issues with striking.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It seems unfair but I suppose there are bigger safety issues with striking.

gently caress that noise. Some dude who's a lovely striker is only a threat to himself, a dude who's lovely at grappling will break your leg by accident trying to nail a flying armbar.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Novum posted:

gently caress that noise. Some dude who's a lovely striker is only a threat to himself, a dude who's lovely at grappling will break your leg by accident trying to nail a flying armbar.

That's not entirely true at all. The difference is that a lovely striker will instantaneously break something where a lovely grappler will be more likely to slowly break something.

Not to mention the mental aspect of striking. I don't want to say that there isn't a mental aspect to grappling, but there isn't quite the piss your pants, crying, and me home, mentality that usually accompanies striking. And fighters with poo poo technique and poo poo trainers are much more likely to quit and never come back.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Speaking of fighters with poo poo technique, I'm in Thailand! Spent 2 weeks checking out the country and getting food poisoning, now I'm in Chiang Mai and about to start training tomorrow. Haven't seen any real fights yet, just some faked poo poo in a tourist bar on Koh Phi Phi. Pretty funny. Was going to go to Lumpini or Ratchadamnoen in Bangkok but it was pretty expensive and I figured I'd be better off spending the money on a months rent in a cheap guesthouse.

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 21, 2013

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

There are two stadiums in Chiang Mai, one near Thaepae Gate on the ring road around the city center, and Kalare stadium next to the Kalare Night Bazaar.
I've only been to the latter one, but the fights were decent and with 400 baht the entrance was very affordable. It was very much geared towards tourists, but in three nights and 25+ fights I didn't notice any obvious worked fights. Lots of Australians, both fighters and in the crowd.

Where do you train?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I'm going to be at Lanna Muay Thai, mostly because my trainer at home used to be there when he fought in Thailand.

I'm going to go watch some fights tonight at Tha Pae, I heard the other stadium is better though

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Yeah I heard the Thaepae stadium was even more touristy, with dancing shows between fights and other silly intermissions. The fights might still be good.

One advice for Chiang Mai - rent a good 125cc scooter and ride it up Doi Suthep, the holy mountain next to the city. Go all the way to the top. It's a gorgeous place, only 20 minutes from the center.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I'll run up one day, I plan to be here 2 months maybe more (money depending)

How long were you here for? Where'd you train?

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I've been to Chiang Mai twice, once for two weeks, then a week after getting back from Laos, but didn't do any training there.
I just watched lots of fights and explored the city and surroundings.

You really need to post about Lanna MT, how the quality of the training is etc, I've heard some good things.
I was thinking about going there next year, do a Thai language course and train in the mean time.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I'll post about the gym as I go. Hope to be here at least 2 months, training and maybe fight if I can improve enough.

Chiang Mai is definitely the nicest place I've seen in Thailand so far, and the climate suits me better than down South, as a New Zealander.

Anything else I should do while I'm here? I'll have to leave thailand a couple of times to renew my visa which is a pain.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I went down to Lanna Muay Thai this evening, seems okay, pretty good number of trainers to students, Andy the owner (he's Canadian, been here 20 odd years) is nice. Gym is reasonably small, outdoor, has 2 rings and like 15 heavy bags, good mix of students, on a little out of the way soi like 3km from the centre of the city. Going down in the morning to start training. I'm excited. Going to get an apartment near the gym when my friends I'm travelling with leave here in a couple of days.

In other news, don't go to Tha Pae boxing stadium in Chiang Mai, the fights are bad and rigged.

First 6 fights were 3/3 obviously rigged/maybe real, there was an intermission with 5 fat dudes wailing on each other blindfolded in the ring, then we watched the guy from this blog http://myfightcamp.blogspot.com/?m=0 win a rigged fight against a 30kg lighter Thai dude who went down to the lightest and gassedest hook from the fat American dude in the 3rd round. Was pretty funny but tragic. I feel bad for the tourists who see that poo poo and think it's real Muay Thai. I don't think the fat dude realised it was a dive.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Quick injury question. Yesterday while shoveling I did something my back didn't like (probably some twisting or whatever) and I basically pinched a nerve or whatever. I basically can't bend over and a few movements hurt like crazy. I'm cutting judo for the week, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with back problems? I'm not going to go see a doctor since they'll just give me anti-inflammatory and I'm already taking ibuprofen and muscle relaxant which are doing a great job (feel very close to normal while I'm taking them).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr. Interweb, did you pick an art/gym yet?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

KingColliwog posted:

Quick injury question. Yesterday while shoveling I did something my back didn't like (probably some twisting or whatever) and I basically pinched a nerve or whatever. I basically can't bend over and a few movements hurt like crazy. I'm cutting judo for the week, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with back problems? I'm not going to go see a doctor since they'll just give me anti-inflammatory and I'm already taking ibuprofen and muscle relaxant which are doing a great job (feel very close to normal while I'm taking them).

I dealt with sciatica for months once after loving up my back doing crossfit. RICE the poo poo out of it for now, and accept that you might be talking weeks away from judo instead of days. I experienced immediate relief from chiropractic care, but I couldn't tell you how much of my long-term recovery was just normal healing and how much was having a quack stomp on my spine.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hmmm I (almost) got the flu but it somehow went the gently caress away in less than 24 hours after I downed copious amounts of vitamin-D and zinc. Rested for two days anyhow, just to be sure. Went to train today feeling tired and dreading if I can breathe, then *SNAPPED* into that weird flow when everything you do somehow works, every limb is loose and ready, every reflex plays out without thinking and every partner you get seems like the perfect one and whatever they do somehow fit into your counters and techniques like a fist or gay french boot fits in the eye.

A really useless post but :love: One of those days.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
That sounds nice. I didn't put my hands up because I was tired and got punched in the face a lot today. Was fun though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For the first time in my martial artistic career, I was taught how to roundhouse kick earlier today at the karate class. So of course I then proceeded to roundhouse kick our teacher in the nuts. :ohdear:

He was holding a kicking shield between us, but I was kicking kinda hard and not thinking where I was aiming. So the moral of the story is, always wear your cup. Even when teaching. Particularly when teaching.

On a more useful note, do you guys have an opinion on Everlast's MMA gear? I'm at the point where I need to pick up gloves, hand wraps, mouth guard and yes, a cup for sparring sessions. In particular, I'm looking for a pair of MMA-style gloves, since we do a fair bit of grappling as well as regular striking. There's an Everlast store pretty close to our campus and I'd rather not venture into the dingier local martial arts shops again any time soon. I live in Helsinki, so if you know any good local places to check, please let me know. All equipment-purchasing tips are appreciated.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Everlast is generally pretty cheap and reliable I've found. I've only got some of their gloves though, so I can't speak for any of the other gear.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
The more pro-sumer level Everlast gear is all right, but their cheaper gloves from Dick's or whatever will wear out relatively quickly from bagwork. I still use cheap Everlast, but I don't train more than twice a week (bad schedule for now). For hardcore stuff invest in some Twins, Windys, etc. if you have the money.

By the way, does anyone here train in SAMBO? If so, is there any real reason to train specifically SAMBO instead of more mundane integrated BJJ, Judo + MMA takedowns classes? I mean that's cool if you can get a good mix of all of that from one style, but if it's hard to find a SAMBO gym maybe you'd do just as well to train the aforementioned "popular" styles? Also, if you wear a shirt that says SAMBO on it, do you get dirty looks?

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 22, 2013

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Mechafunkzilla is a connoisseur of hugging in stretch terry shorts and color coordinated boots; he should be able to give you good info.

Tonight was my first gi BJJ class ever. It's definitely a lot slower and more methodical than no-gi - more of a chess match.

e: Everlast's quality has been in a nose dive for years. I think they offshored the last of their manufacturing around the time of the Beijing Olympics and I haven't given them a second look since. (Ironically they still make the best handwraps on the market: The 180" Mexican-style wrap. But for what you would spend on that you could buy enough Le Roy gauze to build a fort in your living room.)

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 22, 2013

mewse
May 2, 2006

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

e: Everlast's quality has been in a nose dive for years. I think they offshored the last of their manufacturing around the time of the Beijing Olympics and I haven't given them a second look since.

Yeah as far as I know, everlast's cheap vinyl stuff is garbage but their normal-priced leather stuff is ok

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

mewse posted:

Yeah as far as I know, everlast's cheap vinyl stuff is garbage but their normal-priced leather stuff is ok

Yeah, but Combat Sports/Ringside and TitleMMA (to my knowledge the same company runs both) both make great stuff for less than you'd pay for Everlast's 'pro' gear. If you have a hardon for spending money just buy Winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

OwlBot 2000 posted:

By the way, does anyone here train in SAMBO? If so, is there any real reason to train specifically SAMBO instead of more mundane integrated BJJ, Judo + MMA takedowns classes? I mean that's cool if you can get a good mix of all of that from one style, but if it's hard to find a SAMBO gym maybe you'd do just as well to train the aforementioned "popular" styles?
I trained Sambo for several classes under a super weird but legit Russian soldier emigree. My grappling expertise is very shallow, but there was a very obvious emphasis on linking takedowns into a variety of leg-controlling postures and leglocks. I'm sure all of this stuff can be found elsewhere in the standard overarching submission grappling framework, but it would be neat if you just wanted that leglock emphasis. Some Sambo places might have striking instruction incorporated, but I don't think it would be as good as cross training a dedicated striking art.

How quickly, efficiently, and solidly he could pretzel up your legs was amazing. Again, a clear result of training with leg attack emphasis for years.

quote:

Also, if you wear a shirt that says SAMBO on it, do you get dirty looks?
I think in a lot of the US, that slur is outmoded to the point of non-recognition.

• Locked thread