Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doughy Fresh
Jun 15, 2007

Isn't that dangerous?

Wokrider posted:

Looking to go Corpsman and wanting to volunteer for Buds; should I try to go seal from recruiter up or just go to A school and volunteer up?

Not doing it for money just want to feel some purpose in my life.

Talk to your recruiter ASAP. I'm in the DEP right now going diver, and from everything I've heard (from both my recruiter and my region's SEAL coordinator), it's much easier to get into the challenge programs (SEAL, Diver, EOD, AIRR, SWCC) before you go to boot camp. Your SEAL coordinator will also help you prepare for the PST, which you'll have to do really well on to get selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

DrCuntmuffins posted:

EC monitor is the dude who schedules all the peeps to do entry controller (guy who watches door and gets yelled at for being a dumbfuck/not following literally written instructions) and then said EC monitor gets put through all kinds of poo poo because he did not train his guys well enough

or something like that im not bitter or anything

Yep, he schedules the shifts for dorm guard / entry control and when they inevitably screw up the schedule because they are dumb shits who can't read, he's the one who gets chewed out for it. So basically, if you are EC monitor, you get your rear end ripped and made to do disciplinary PC on an hourly basis for your own gently caress ups, plus the gently caress ups of everyone in the flight. It's hands down the worst job next to dorm chief.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
People are mean to you at AF boot camp? Huh, who knew.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Quick question in regards to TS clearances. I go to AIT very shortly as a 15W UAV Operator. A lot of guys in my company have already had their various interviews and such completed whereas I... have not. No interviews, no word, and since it's a clearance there's no one I can talk to to figure out what's going on. Does anyone know if I'm going to end up as a "holdover" or what might happen? For reference, I have no credit history (never owned a credit card) and no criminal history. No major medical history either.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
At your gaining unit ask whoever is in charge to talk to S2. This is fairly important for your job so they'll make sure it happens.

If you are a holdover, you will sit and jerk it most of the day, or if you've got a ball buster in charge it's time for some police call.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Does a 15W even need a TS? Yeah, seconding checking with the S2 section. It doesn't take long to get an interim clearance so you should probably be fine as long as you have a normal background. That's assuming they even initiated your investigation. :q:

Are you IET? The 15W barracks were across from mine and I recall them getting in lots of trouble. Lots of people moving their entire barracks room outside. :laugh:

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Yeah I'm an IET soldier, and apparently 15W needs a TS. I'm just kind of annoyed that every single person in my battalion who needs a clearance has already had their interviews and stuff, and I haven't.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Haha, welcome to the military. They'll get to you eventually, but you might want to call up your recruiter and see if he/she can get the attention of someone at MEPS to speed things along.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They may have also checked out everything and decided they didn't need to talk to you? I just had a clearance when I got to my unit, but I don't think that's the norm.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Check your ERB, when I came back in and needed to get a security clearance, apparently whatever I did at MEPs was good enough for one.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Honestly I wouldn't worry. Just don't do stupid poo poo and get in trouble at Fort Huachuca.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Ziji posted:

Quick question in regards to TS clearances. I go to AIT very shortly as a 15W UAV Operator. A lot of guys in my company have already had their various interviews and such completed whereas I... have not. No interviews, no word, and since it's a clearance there's no one I can talk to to figure out what's going on. Does anyone know if I'm going to end up as a "holdover" or what might happen? For reference, I have no credit history (never owned a credit card) and no criminal history. No major medical history either.

Let me know if you end up in 1SG Bowers' company. Also, stay away from my daughter.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

GreenMeat posted:

Let me know if you end up in 1SG Bowers' company. Also, stay away from my daughter.

Everyone knows the leadership's daughter is fair game if in packs.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
^^ the barracks train is a time honored tradition

brains
May 12, 2004

my shithead first roommate is apparently getting married to our then first sergeant's daughter.

same guy that got so drunk he pissed all over his clothes then put them on and went to work, flipped his brand new not-paid-for car 3 times the day he got it (no insurance, of course), got blackout drunk and ran around the barracks parking lot naked screaming his loving head off at 4am, etc, all within a 3 month span before i moved out. a real rising star in the enlisted ranks.

naturally she is not attractive whatsoever.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I have to ask, what MOS?

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
So I was watching Hunt for Red October today and I was wondering if submarines can actually dodge torpedoes?

I can kinda see how airplanes dodge missiles in the movies but submarines are freakin huge, and not that fast.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Isn't that what those noise makers they shoot out are for?

I think it works the same way, except with sound, and whilst the submarines are slow, so are the torpedoes (relatively to a air launched missile).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SmokeyXIII posted:

I can kinda see how airplanes dodge missiles in the movies but submarines are freakin huge, and not that fast.

This usually doesn't work anymore. Missiles move a lot faster than airplanes and pull a lot more G's to turn inside of them.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any free tax software/filing services you guys can recommend? I could have sworn turbo tax used to be free for military but it says I just get a discount now.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

nwin posted:

Any free tax software/filing services you guys can recommend? I could have sworn turbo tax used to be free for military but it says I just get a discount now.
H&R Block online is pretty good and free; it's essentially H&R Block's version of turbotax but online. State costs a little extra, though.

http://www.hrblock.com/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

nwin posted:

Turbotax freedom edition is what you're thinking of. It's due out any day now.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Godholio posted:

Turbotax freedom edition is what you're thinking of. It's due out any day now.

Do they do state for free? I seem to remember doing fed for free, and paying like $20 to file state.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

iceslice posted:

Do they do state for free? I seem to remember doing fed for free, and paying like $20 to file state.
Virginia's website says of Turbotax Freedom: "Free federal and state returns if your adjusted gross income is $31,000 or less or your adjusted gross income is $57,000 or less and are active duty or reservist or are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit regardless of income level."

http://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/index.jsp

If you're no longer active duty/reserve but still make under $57k, e-smart tax offers free federal & state returns. http://www.esmarttax.com/

IRS isn't accepting efiles until 30JAN, so you still have a few weeks to get stuff together without hurting the speed of your return.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 21, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iceslice posted:

I haven't given a poo poo about state taxes since 2004. Yay Florida :)

iceslice
May 20, 2005

grover posted:

Virginia's website says of Turbotax Freedom: "Free federal and state returns if your adjusted gross income is $31,000 or less or your adjusted gross income is $57,000 or less and are active duty or reservist or are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit regardless of income level."

http://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/index.jsp

If you're no longer active duty/reserve but still make under $57k, e-smart tax offers free federal & state returns. http://www.esmarttax.com/

IRS isn't accepting efiles until 30JAN, so you still have a few weeks to get stuff together without hurting the speed of your return.

That's a few more dollars back in the pocket. The Army W-2 doesn't come out until around then (the 28th I think), so its not a big deal. Thanks for the link.

Godholio posted:

I haven't given a poo poo about state taxes since 2004. Yay Florida :)

I'm giving California a loan, since they give it all back since I'm not living in CA but its my home of record.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iceslice posted:

I'm giving California a loan, since they give it all back since I'm not living in CA but its my home of record.

Just to clarify this, you can change your state of residence which is what matters for tax purposes. It's literally just a form you turn in to the finance office. My home of record state still charges taxes on military stationed out of state (or at least they did at the time) so I switched as soon as I found that out; I was stationed in FL which has no state income tax.

Edit: Obviously it's probably not worth it unless you're somewhere that legit doesn't have income tax for military like FL, TX, OK, etc.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 21, 2013

iceslice
May 20, 2005
That's good to know. Is there any incentive to having a home of residence in any particular state? I have no reason to change from CA, and it would eventually be WA. Either way I'm not residing in CA while on Active duty, so I guess its like hiding some money from my self when I get it back. I'm sure that's the best way to manage my money. :armytalk:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
WA has no state income tax? If you buy a car out of state and you are on orders they waive the sales tax?

That's about it, I think.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iceslice posted:

That's good to know. Is there any incentive to having a home of residence in any particular state? I have no reason to change from CA, and it would eventually be WA. Either way I'm not residing in CA while on Active duty, so I guess its like hiding some money from my self when I get it back. I'm sure that's the best way to manage my money. :armytalk:

There can be tax and education incentives, maybe other stuff as well. You have to actually live there though, and you may have to take some kind of action to tie yourself to the state (the intent is that you're declaring your desire to live there, whether that's true or not). Getting a driver's license, buying a house, registering a car, something like that.

When you buy a car, you generally pay the tax to whatever state you register it in.

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009
I am a Navy reservist and I just moved from TX to MS. I changed my address in NSIPS, which is apparently where CMS/ID gets your information from, and then clicked on the change of residence request in CMS/ID. I was told by manpower and training at my old NOSC in San Antonio that this was what I needed to do to get new orders cut for a new NOSC. It's been about a month now, reserve weekend approaches, and I have heard nothing. I even emailed the listed detailers in CMS/ID and, unsurprisingly, have heard nothing back. I'm starting to think that, unsurprisingly again, the people at my old NOSC didn't know what the gently caress they were talking about.

Has anyone gone through this before? If so, did I miss any important steps, or do I just need to wait? Is it time to start calling detailers maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

E: I'm probably going to have to be cross assigned to my old battalion until I can find a new billet or just cross rate, but I need to get into a NOSC.

E2: Just looked at the reserve CMS/ID schedule and starting today it says "Assignment Coordinators make selections (no applications allowed) Orders being Processed", through the end of the month. I would think that that means they are processing all of the applications that they've received during their application period, but it is the military so who knows what it really means?

MesquiteLog fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 22, 2013

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Question about an issue I'm having with signing an evaluation. When I click the field to sign, the sign button is greyed out and no certificates are displayed. My reader and card work and I'm signing in the correct order. Only hint at something being wrong is the message "One or more digital signatures could not be verified".

E: Nevermind, activeclient was being stupid.

EBB fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 23, 2013

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Hey Vasudus, I know you didn't personally close it down, but since your new sticky thread says you'll probate people who start reporting dumb poo poo, can the 'O_o' thread get reopened? I've never seen a thread like that before, and I found it very interesting.

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009

GreglFaggins posted:

I am a Navy reservist and I just moved from TX to MS. I changed my address in NSIPS, which is apparently where CMS/ID gets your information from, and then clicked on the change of residence request in CMS/ID. I was told by manpower and training at my old NOSC in San Antonio that this was what I needed to do to get new orders cut for a new NOSC. It's been about a month now, reserve weekend approaches, and I have heard nothing. I even emailed the listed detailers in CMS/ID and, unsurprisingly, have heard nothing back. I'm starting to think that, unsurprisingly again, the people at my old NOSC didn't know what the gently caress they were talking about.

Has anyone gone through this before? If so, did I miss any important steps, or do I just need to wait? Is it time to start calling detailers maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

Welp, just went ahead and called today and I'm gonna get orders cut to the 22nd Naval Construction Regiment, because the NMCB here is getting decommed. Turns out my old NOSC needed to put in a TRUIC change, which they didn't. Moral of the story: when in doubt call people that know what they're doing.

Anyone know anything about 22nd NCR?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Admiral Bosch posted:

Hey Vasudus, I know you didn't personally close it down, but since your new sticky thread says you'll probate people who start reporting dumb poo poo, can the 'O_o' thread get reopened? I've never seen a thread like that before, and I found it very interesting.

I'm not going to reopen a thread that was getting Shim threatening PMs. That's on him.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Vasudus posted:

I'm not going to reopen a thread that was getting Shim threatening PMs. That's on him.

Wow, poo poo, okay, I didn't know they were threatening. My bad.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
It's open. Threaten away.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Seriously tho, open.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

poo poo, I have PTSD from reading some of the stories in that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Not in the military, so I'm probably going to sound dumb, but I've always wondered what the protocol was for officers of the same rank. If there are two officers of the same rank in a combat situation, and they're the highest ranking ones in a unit, who takes command?

• Locked thread