Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

SaNChEzZ posted:

To be fair, on the driver's side it doesn't look that heinous to have to step over. However, shouldn't there be some kind of bar from the top to the bottom in more of a straight line?

The front legs are going to collapse in an accident, the main hoop is unbraced and will also collapse and I cant continue because holy gently caress that is bad. Literally a cage that is worse than no cage at all (as when it collapses guess what is going to hit your head - the cage with no padding!), any scrutineer worth a drat would throw it out of any event as completely unsafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

JaysonAych posted:

It could just be the way the snow fell or the way it blew off the front, but I'd like to think the driver was thinking, "poo poo, I'm in a big hurry. Just gotta remove the essential bits of snow. A little slit in the windshield so I can see, and then dust off the Audi badge so everyone sees I'm driving an Audi."

It's a 2 litre diesel, according to a DVLA lookup, so most likely a sales rep's car.

Therefore your theory is probably right.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I would hope even the worst tech inspector would fail that thing in an instant.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Octopus Magic posted:

Someone thought this cage was a good idea

Remove my dashboard from my race car? Naaa, we'll just make the cage fit around it. :downs:

Anyone taking bets that it'll just be tack welded to the floorpan, so even if it WAS rigid (which it isn't), it'd just push through the floor in a rollover anyway?

vv Fighting chance it's made from a cut up trampoline frame

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 22, 2013

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Crustashio posted:

I would hope even the worst tech inspector would fail that thing in an instant.

Self tech drift events seem to be where those tend to show up.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'm not a tech inspector and I'd fail it in a heartbeat. What concerns me is the amount of time and effort that was put into building something which obviously (to me and others here at least) has no structural rigidity and is about as safe as a mousetrap.

Perhaps they were thinking that because of that side bracing that the bends for the dash were A-OK? The whole cage is a bit of a disaster really and it wouldn't surprise me if it was even made from the wrong type of tubing.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

General_Failure posted:

I'm not a tech inspector and I'd fail it in a heartbeat. What concerns me is the amount of time and effort that was put into building something which obviously (to me and others here at least) has no structural rigidity and is about as safe as a mousetrap.

Perhaps they were thinking that because of that side bracing that the bends for the dash were A-OK? The whole cage is a bit of a disaster really and it wouldn't surprise me if it was even made from the wrong type of tubing.
Yeah, it just seems weird that they'd go to all that effort yet do such a horrible design.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

grover posted:

Yeah, it just seems weird that they'd go to all that effort yet do such a horrible design.

That's basically what I say to myself every single time I see a "mud truck".

Example:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Example:

Oh my god if one of those springs escaped...:stare: We have to tell the President.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

kastein posted:

Example:

Suspension engineered and built by Acme, Inc.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A few more pics of the above abortion:

The thread I found googling for "mud truck" to get some terrible things to marvel at: http://forum.highlifter.com/2000-4DOOR-DODGE-DAKOTA-MUD-TRUCK-PROJECT-m4212595.aspx

:texas:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Asking 4500 for it like that :lol::lol:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Saw the thread. Serious question, what has yokes on both sides of the axle besides semi-trailer trucks?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rockwell / "top loader" rearends commonly do. Those are 2.5 ton rockwells - they come from a variety of military surplus cargo trucks commonly purchased by those from the shallow end of the gene pool and fuckstick-fabbed into beautiful creations such as the one I posted.

5 ton rockwells come from the larger 5 ton military cargo trucks, they're basically the same thing but larger in every way. You can tell the two apart by the number of lugs, 2.5 tonners have 6 lugs while 5 tonners have 10.

There are a variety of Eaton/Fuller rearends and Rockwell rears built for school buses, dumptrucks, and similar large vehicles that are either toploaders or frontloaders using similar components.

Fun trivia: Rockwells are nicknamed after the company that manufactured/manufactures them. This is the same company that made many of the most common v.92 modem chipsets. Japan/Korea doesn't have the only megacorps that do semiconductors and heavy trucks/equipment :911:

There are also some very rare custom Ford 9" housings with a very, very strange setup - they have a pinion bearing housing built into the rear face of the diff housing and a second pinion gear that acts as an output and can be used to drive a rear tandem axle. Torque is applied via the front pinion gear through the ring gear to the axles, while the ring gear also drives the second pinion gear to the next differential. I can't even imagine where you get gearsets for these seeing as ring and pinion sets generally come as a matched pair, and setting them up correctly must be a nightmarish proposition. I can't find any pictures of the one I saw now, believe I saw a thread about it on Pirate4x4 years ago.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 22, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How does the power from the engine get to the wheels?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It doesn't. And I want to see one of those reinforcement bars (I don't know what they're called) bend on the first speedbump and the whole thing flop over like a slinky.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kastein posted:

A few more pics of the above abortion:

I can't stop cracking up at this picture. Holy poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sagebrush posted:

I really, really want those chains to be the only things keeping the axle from flying off. Like some kind of reverse bump stop.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

Rockwell / "top loader" rearends commonly do. Those are 2.5 ton rockwells - they come from a variety of military surplus cargo trucks commonly purchased by those from the shallow end of the gene pool and fuckstick-fabbed into beautiful creations such as the one I posted.

5 ton rockwells come from the larger 5 ton military cargo trucks, they're basically the same thing but larger in every way. You can tell the two apart by the number of lugs, 2.5 tonners have 6 lugs while 5 tonners have 10.

There are a variety of Eaton/Fuller rearends and Rockwell rears built for school buses, dumptrucks, and similar large vehicles that are either toploaders or frontloaders using similar components.

Fun trivia: Rockwells are nicknamed after the company that manufactured/manufactures them. This is the same company that made many of the most common v.92 modem chipsets. Japan/Korea doesn't have the only megacorps that do semiconductors and heavy trucks/equipment :911:

There are also some very rare custom Ford 9" housings with a very, very strange setup - they have a pinion bearing housing built into the rear face of the diff housing and a second pinion gear that acts as an output and can be used to drive a rear tandem axle. Torque is applied via the front pinion gear through the ring gear to the axles, while the ring gear also drives the second pinion gear to the next differential. I can't even imagine where you get gearsets for these seeing as ring and pinion sets generally come as a matched pair, and setting them up correctly must be a nightmarish proposition. I can't find any pictures of the one I saw now, believe I saw a thread about it on Pirate4x4 years ago.

So it's essentially a weird geardown and up shuffle putting the stress of both driven axles on the first diff as well? I think I understand why those Ford diffs are rare.

Also thanks for the explanation on the diffs used. Military surplus vehicles aren't something I've seen in a very, very long time and I don't even know if we have equivalents here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

Example:

How the gently caress could anyone possibly think this is a good idea?

Thread has quite abruptly truly gone on topic.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A student posted:

What engine? :haw:

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Guinness posted:

Asking 4500 for it like that :lol::lol:

Holy poo poo, the price of scrap metal has gone through the roof!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Are you seriously trying to tell me that suspension is complete? I assumed components had to have been removed. There's no way you could actually drive it like that (with the engine and driveshaft put back in obviously). Right? :psyduck:

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Are you seriously trying to tell me that suspension is complete? I assumed components had to have been removed. There's no way you could actually drive it like that (with the engine and driveshaft put back in obviously). Right? :psyduck:

I'm sure it would, well, drive until you hit like a pothole or mosquito or something.

Actually maybe not, now that I think about it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Method Loser posted:

I'm sure it would, well, drive until you hit like a pothole or mosquito or something.

Actually maybe not, now that I think about it.

I think watching the axles torque twist around from the driveshafts and obliterate the suspension with springs flying everywhere would be a real sight.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Sagebrush posted:

LIKE I SAID IF U DONT WANT TO BUY KEEP UR COMMENTS TO UR SELF THANKS

That thread where the truck was found is epic, even though it's mostly the owner of the truck telling everyone to shut the gently caress out about how crappy it is.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

A student posted:

Never mind that. How do you get into it?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Eponine posted:

Never mind that. How do you get into it?

With a trampoline.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
These.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Seeing a cage you just know is going to fail in an accident and possibly injure the occupants even more is one of the most cringeworthy things in motorsport today.

:gonk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Seeing the base of the cage poking through the floor of that pic is the worst part.
Did the driver survive?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

einTier posted:

LIKE I SAID IF U DONT WANT TO BUY KEEP UR COMMENTS TO UR SELF THANKS

That thread where the truck was found is epic, even though it's mostly the owner of the truck telling everyone to shut the gently caress out about how crappy it is.

Caps lock really is cruise control for cool :c00l:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Nocheez posted:

Seeing the base of the cage poking through the floor of that pic is the worst part.
Did the driver survive?

Yeah, I think the high beltline made for better rollover protection :v: But the cage builder didn't properly box weld / attach the floor mounts which is pretty obvious, and that was the result.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've seen that picture before but my understanding was that it only had a roll bar not a cage.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Here is the full story. That's why I will never trust a cage that isn't built by a professional. That's something you don't just put in yourself over the weekend. Unless you're a pro cage builder.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 22, 2013

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

A student posted:

This truck brings up so many questions. Like, how to you intend to steer the bastard? Is the column going to have a spring too?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Willfrey posted:

This truck brings up so many questions. Like, how to you intend to steer the bastard? Is the column going to have a spring too?

TX is pretty awesome for how many ridiculous trucks you see running around. I usually see either F150's with a mild lift and some blacked out rims or I see ridiculous jacked up F250/350's with a crazy lift and massive tires, smokestacks, etc. The nice thing is these are owned by rich kids so they just pay to have someone do all the work and I don't typically see janky rear end lifts. Of course the more rural you go the more sketchy poo poo you start to see, like the one shown above....

It's at the point where a totally stock F150 sticks out to me now as opposed to a lifted one with a giant rear end Browning logo on the back window and "Salt Life" stickers plastered all over the glass.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

:wtf: Unless I'm picturing this wrong in my head or I'm missing something here, wouldn't the two ring gears be running counter to each other!?

I guess there has to be some sort of spider gear setup between the two pinions, right? Talk about failure points...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You mean second pinion? Yeah, it'd rotate the opposite direction from the first - but presumably this would be paired with a reverse-rotation tandem axle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Farmdizzle posted:

:wtf: Unless I'm picturing this wrong in my head or I'm missing something here, wouldn't the two ring gears be running counter to each other!?

I guess there has to be some sort of spider gear setup between the two pinions, right? Talk about failure points...

nope, just a second pinion gear riding on the same ring gear as the first one. I can't find the pics I saw for some reason.