Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Is there a way to view a person's avatar and its text in the iPhone version, or is that only in iPad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm starting to think it may be memory related, like the only reliable message I get is received memory warning.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Axiem posted:

Is there a way to view a person's avatar and its text in the iPhone version, or is that only in iPad?

You should see the avatar on both the iPhone and iPad, unless you turned them off in settings. There's no way to view their custom title text right now on either device, but user profiles are coming in 1.10, so you'll be able to see it that way.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Cryptic Edge posted:

I'm starting to think it may be memory related, like the only reliable message I get is received memory warning.

The big grey sidebar was a memory problem: the split view controller throws out the hidden sidebar when it gets a memory warning, and it also forgets its frame. I did fix that, but there may be other issues handling memory warnings. (For the record, memory warnings are very easy to trigger from web views, especially when there are lots of animated gifs. I don't think they get triggered much from Awful code directly.)

I haven't received any other feedback about the grey forums tab in the latest test release, and I can't replicate it, so I might end up tackling it in the next version.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

e: this was on the previous test version, sorry. I'll post about it again if it happens now that it's supposed to be fixed

myron cope fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 21, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Am I slowly going insane, or is the website CSS getting modified in increments? :confused:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

Am I slowly going insane, or is the website CSS getting modified in increments? :confused:
It's happening to me too. The newest change is the font on the jump to last read number button.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm just praying the markup doesn't change...

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

pokeyman posted:

I'm just praying the markup doesn't change...

That was my major concern :ohdear:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lowtax opened a thread in GBS asking for functionality suggestions. It should just be CSS.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has there been any attempt to have a dialog with the powers that be about making this the official app and being to work with radium's replacement on changes?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No, and my gut isn't optimistic about it for whatever reason. It's also an area they might just want to solve with a smarter website and not necessarily an app.

I'm actually retry sure it wouldn't even take that look to get a very similar look of this app just with CSS media queries.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I sincerely doubt we'll have apps, The Dave's right: someday there'll be nicer CSS.

To your second point, Choochacacko has been very helpful during his reign, fixing bugs and making little changes for us.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is really picky but in dark mode, the "loading unread posts" text in the middle of the screen with the spinner seems to be doubled up or something so it's not quite right. Or maybe a shadow that doesn't work on the black background (this definitely looks like it now that I see the screenshot at 2x)?

It kind of looks like faked bold or something.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 22, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Ok, odd bug I've been experiencing all night on the current App Store release.
Once I've read a post in a thread that thread disappears from my bookmarks, if I then go and read another thread the previous one reappears, then the new one disappears. It's very odd.

Here's some screenshots

(I didn't scroll/refresh/remove any bookmarks)

Edit: 6.0.2, non jailbroken

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man, I've had this app forever and didn't like it at first. Not sure if I was just accustomed to browser viewing on my phone or what. Now that I'm used to it I loving love it.

You have a Paypal or something so I can throw a quick :10bux: as a thanks and so you don't stop updating. Seriously I use this so much at work.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 22, 2013

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Any plans to have an option to lock orientation? I know there is a system wide orientation lock, but I'd like to be able to do it on the app level.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm experiencing the exact same issue Chuck Bartowski posted about above. Latest iOS firmware, not jailbroken.

I know SA made some forum changes in the past day or so that messed up aspects of SALR, so this may also be another side-effect.

Edit: The disappearing thread will reappear if you refresh your bookmarks.

qbert fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 23, 2013

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

qbert posted:

I'm experiencing the exact same issue Chuck Bartowski posted about above. Latest iOS firmware, not jailbroken.

I know SA made some forum changes in the past day or so that messed up aspects of SALR, so this may also be another side-effect.

Edit: The disappearing thread will reappear if you refresh your bookmarks.

Yeah, this has to be related to the forums changes from the last two days, because it definitely only started some time in the past day or so.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Furthermore, I'm guessing its related to the bookmark button inside threads being changed/moved. It seems like the app is somehow "forgetting" that the thread is bookmarked.

Open a bookmarked thread, tap the thread actions button, and the one button now says "Bookmark Thread" instead of "Unbookmark Thread". Tapping this button prevents the thread from disappearing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ChetReckless posted:

Any plans to have an option to lock orientation? I know there is a system wide orientation lock, but I'd like to be able to do it on the app level.

It's on the list!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Ok, odd bug I've been experiencing all night on the current App Store release.
Once I've read a post in a thread that thread disappears from my bookmarks, if I then go and read another thread the previous one reappears, then the new one disappears. It's very odd.

I'm seeing the same thing, I'll take a look. I'm gonna leave the submitted version alone and fix this for 1.10.1 I figure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Would it be possible to make one of the [img] options just a paste from clipboard? If I'm posting a picture not from my camera or photo library, I have to paste the URL and then write my own [img] tags around it, which is, you know, :effort:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Would it be possible to make one of the [img] options just a paste from clipboard? If I'm posting a picture not from my camera or photo library, I have to paste the URL and then write my own [img] tags around it, which is, you know, :effort:

It's on the list! Meantime you can insert the img tag first and it'll leave your cursor in the right place for pasting the URL.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

I'm seeing the same thing, I'll take a look. I'm gonna leave the submitted version alone and fix this for 1.10.1 I figure.

Good to know I'm not an outlier. Has the new version been sent off to Apple then?

Has it by any chance fixed the image uploaded needing two taps to get to library? That's pretty much my only qualm right now besides new forum bugs.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Good to know I'm not an outlier. Has the new version been sent off to Apple then?

Has it by any chance fixed the image uploaded needing two taps to get to library? That's pretty much my only qualm right now besides new forum bugs.

The most recent test release is what I sent to the App Store. I think I fixed the two tap thing, give it a try!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Pokeyman, are you accepting donations for your work?

Maybe SA upgrades? iTunes gift cards? Anything to say thanks for the wonderful work you've been doing.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

The most recent test release is what I sent to the App Store. I think I fixed the two tap thing, give it a try!

I'm not a beta tester. Any chance any of you chaps could test that for me and see if it's fixed? :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'm not a beta tester. Any chance any of you chaps could test that for me and see if it's fixed? :)

It was fixed in 1.10 #9 and is still fixed! \o/

New bug report! 1.10 #10 running on a 4S w/ iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken. When I try to capture an image directly from the camera, I come back to an empty reply box.

I can choose from the library on the 4S fine. I can capture from the camera and choose from the library on my iPad just fine (Mini w/ iOS 6.0.2).

To replicate, open a new post or quote a post, tap-hold to bring up the menu and select [img] then choose "From Camera." Take your picture, then press the Use button and for me I come back to an empty reply box.

Edit: I discovered this bug trying to post a picture of my pet bunny while testing the menu for Chuck Bartowski.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 23, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jink posted:

Pokeyman, are you accepting donations for your work?

Maybe SA upgrades? iTunes gift cards? Anything to say thanks for the wonderful work you've been doing.

You can say "thanks"!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm finding myself quite fond of safari's full screen mode in landscape. It would be cool if awful handled it similarly-- make a full screen icon appear by the post/option buttons in landscape and show a translucent full screen button when you're in full screen to turn it off.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well the idea was to do what Instapaper does, have the toolbars, then once you start scrolling they hide. It would be more of an auto fullscreen that shouldn't ruin usability. I believe it's 'on the list' (God I'm happy I'm not pokeyman, so much to do).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

pseudonordic posted:

New bug report! 1.10 #10 running on a 4S w/ iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken. When I try to capture an image directly from the camera, I come back to an empty reply box.

I didn't know that, on iOS 5, a non-visible text view will THROW OUT ITS CONTENTS if it gets a memory warning. I don't know what the gently caress.

Anyway, fixed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I didn't know that, on iOS 5, a non-visible text view will THROW OUT ITS CONTENTS if it gets a memory warning. I don't know what the gently caress.

Anyway, fixed.

I had to live with that a lot on the old awful app on my iTouch (which had half the memory of the phones, which means it was always running out of memory).. switching to safari to google some info in the middle of typing a post, and come back to an empty text box. It also had a bad habit of deleting the text when it hit a connection timeout submitting the post. :downs:

I eventually learned to copy the contents to the paste buffer before switching apps so I could avoid having to retype everything.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

Is the disappearing bookmark thing fixed on github?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It is now!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I have discovered an interesting bug - both iPad and iPhone, I I have a thread in my bookmarks with a large number of unread posts (several hundred) and I read the thread directly above it, when I return to the bookmarks, the large-unread thread and the one I just read will switch places... And if I keep reading the next thread up, eventually that unread thread will end up at the very top of the list. If I refresh the bookmarks, it will return to where it's supposed to be, however.

Edit: iOS 5.1.1, latest app store release of the app.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

It is now!

I have a kind of Awful unrelated question if you wouldn't mind enlightening me.

Say you requested an expedited review of the fixed 1.10.1, what would happen if that got approved before the original 1.10 update went through the system? I don't know why I wonder about these things...

Edit:

Serifina posted:

I have discovered an interesting bug - both iPad and iPhone, I I have a thread in my bookmarks with a large number of unread posts (several hundred) and I read the thread directly above it, when I return to the bookmarks, the large-unread thread and the one I just read will switch places... And if I keep reading the next thread up, eventually that unread thread will end up at the very top of the list. If I refresh the bookmarks, it will return to where it's supposed to be, however.

Look a few posts above you for pete's sake

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I can only have a "current version" and a "new version" of an app in the store. (By "in the store" I mean under review, in the store, etc.) So I'd have to pull 1.10 out of review in order to submit 1.10.1 at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Serifina posted:

This sounds a lot like the bookmark parsing thing that'll be fixed in 1.10.1. Unfortunately that's a week or two away. Hold tight!

• Locked thread