Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
The controversy is overblown. KKS may be deliriously out of touch PR wise but he also controls four of MNet's music subsidiaries. He needs to look out for his people. This is just a power struggle between media conglomerates and I have no doubt that this controversy would still occur if the roles were switched.

If anything Gary and Gil's "reflection" after the concert trouble makes me doubt the seemingly carefree attitude taken by IC.

Nice to see that KBS World finally fixed their subs. Only took them a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

TEHJOE posted:

The controversy is overblown. KKS may be deliriously out of touch PR wise but he also controls four of MNet's music subsidiaries. He needs to look out for his people. This is just a power struggle between media conglomerates and I have no doubt that this controversy would still occur if the roles were switched.

If anything Gary and Gil's "reflection" after the concert trouble makes me doubt the seemingly carefree attitude taken by IC.

Nice to see that KBS World finally fixed their subs. Only took them a few weeks.

All the proceeds go to charity, sorry, I have no sympathy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At this point I wouldn't be surprised to hear KKS speak out against laws limiting the size of hessian sacks because it stops him from using them to drown puppies.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Well, their point was that the sales weren't driven by music quality, but instead from the popularity of IC itself. A valid point, I suppose; I don't really care for any of the songs.

However, I still bought all of them. Why? Because the proceeds go to charity, and I like showing support for IC whenever I can. And I can use the same argument for all of the popular idol groups - they buy it to support them, not because the music itself is good (can be, but not always).

Side note: These IC 2013 calendars are awesome. Too bad I was only able to snag 2 each, or I'd have some kind of thing set up to send it to goons that want one.

VVV Yeah I noted that point in the second mini-paragraph in my post. Seems hypocritical of Kwangsoo and CCM/Loen, but then again, it is KKS we're talking about.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 22, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Archer2338 posted:

Well, their point was that the sales weren't driven by music quality, but instead from the popularity of IC itself.

Isn't this also the whole idea behind the concept of the idols?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

T. Mascis posted:

All the proceeds go to charity, sorry, I have no sympathy

Yeah it's pretty laughable and honestly makes the k-pop industry look bad period. Like they're all so amateur that the tiniest bit of competition is going to run them out of business. Then again with the k-pop market so saturated, that's probably the case. Talking about beating a dead horse.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Essentially they're saying, "How dare you use your connections and influence within the entertainment industry to make a product successful? That's OUR thing!!"

Isn't the hypocrisy insane? Isn't this exactly what these agencies have been doing for years to indie musical artists?

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
That's why it's not a big deal. It's business as usual.

If anything they are keeping KKS out of the public eye.

T-ara has a clear schedule after finishing their overseas promotions. Hyomin recently appeared on Vitamin. Soyeon was recently forced to reflect after putting down another celebrity.I have to imagine we are looking at a comeback/apology pretty soon.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

http://www.daebaksubs.com/2013/01/eng-infinity-challenge-ep-312-full.html

Jae-Suk, Hong-Chul, and HaHa's time in New York over the new year. Really funny.

FIRE!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GenghisTron posted:

Jae-Suk, Hong-Chul, and HaHa's time in New York over the new year. Really funny.

FIRE!

Awesome. That episode was hilarious. When MC Hammer showed up and YJS turned on his suit to impress him, I lost it.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

qbert posted:

Awesome. That episode was hilarious. When MC Hammer showed up and YJS turned on his suit to impress him, I lost it.

Yeah this episode was truly awesome.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Poor Bora. It happened again.

http://www.allkpop.com/2013/01/sistars-bora-involved-in-an-accident-during-filming-for-mbcs-idol-star-athletics-championship

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Why is she always falling over? I hope she's ok!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
There's something about that final race that just kills idols. I remember when Goo Hara faceplanted right at the finish.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Probably the lack of sleeping and eating has gotten to them after exercising that much.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

RIP

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
How do you fall on your head from running? Do Bora's instincts give her no ability to raise her arms for protection? Was she trying to act shy and bewildered and helpless before she got reality'd in the face again?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

GenghisTron posted:

FIRE!

SA forums never feel like a waste of $10 thanks to gems like this thread. I haven't laughed this hard and so consistently in a long time. And now I'm hooked on Family Outing and Running Man. This Korean stuff will become a healthy addiction, right? Right?

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Totally right, please join us in the Running Man thread to indulge in the addiction.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Hahaha that's great they subbed the recent IC episodes; it means that you guys can share the awesome enjoyment I get out of that wonderful show.

Interestingly enough, IC seems to have had awesome guests rivaling MC Hammer even in the past, though this is probably the first time they actually made it onto mainstream US TV (kinda).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Everyone apparently got up at 4am to prepare for filming, and then filmed for 22 goddamned hours for that thing. That's just insane and there's no reason for such a thing to happen.

In other news, Lee Joon and Oh Yeon Soo are (finally) leaving We Got Married. No word on if a new couple is coming in to take their place or not.

Also note these are both MBC programs. Interesting.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Corn Thongs posted:

Totally right, please join us in the Running Man thread to indulge in the addiction.

I have a ton of catching up to do. I'll have to figure out a way to balance watching FO and catching up with RM. It ain't gonna be easy with school and work in the way. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Butt Savage posted:

I have a ton of catching up to do. I'll have to figure out a way to balance watching FO and catching up with RM. It ain't gonna be easy with school and work in the way. :(

Quit school and work. Problem solved.

Taecyeon is replacing Lee Joon/Oh Yeon Seo. No word on who his partner will be, but my guess would be someone older than him who can keep him in line.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Jamesman posted:

Quit school and work. Problem solved.

Taecyeon is replacing Lee Joon/Oh Yeon Seo. No word on who his partner will be, but my guess would be someone older than him who can keep him in line.

Or Yoona for maximum ratings.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jamesman posted:

Everyone apparently got up at 4am to prepare for filming, and then filmed for 22 goddamned hours for that thing. That's just insane and there's no reason for such a thing to happen.

That's loving ridiculous. I can't even imagine running around after 22 hours of, well, of running around. I'd probably faceplant too.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Everything in Korea seems to take 22 hours to film.

Wouldn't that be prohibitively expensive? Surely the dudes holding the camera get paid by the hour and after a certain point they get overtime, no?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Cassa posted:

Wouldn't that be prohibitively expensive? Surely the dudes holding the camera get paid by the hour and after a certain point they get overtime, no?

Overtime? Many are probably unpaid interns. If only you knew the near slavery that goes into producing the fine entertainment you people enjoy. :sun:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cassa posted:

Everything in Korea seems to take 22 hours to film.

Ha paid. Overtime. You're funny.

ANECDOTAL but none of my Korean friends get overtime ever for anything. I do because it's in my contract and it gives more western working conditions in order to get westerners to actually work here. Actually getting that overtime is another matter, I'm currently owed quite a bit of it.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hahaha, your avatar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A lovely honorary kgoon got rid of the previous terrible one for me. I like this one. Though he misspelled Takeshima.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Jamesman posted:

All your favorite stars are nothing but slaves to the Hallyu Caste System.

I'm sure you've watched the 2NE1 or FX or SNSD behind the scene shows and see how lovely they are treated. So have they, and they still sign up for these contracts and new groups are formed all the drat time because they wanna make those big bucks.

poo poo, there are even 'semi-pro' dance teams who just tour around lip-synching to popular bands and even _they_ get run ragged just for the hope of getting in the system.

It's unsustainable, and as much as I like some of the shows I always feel bad that I'm supporting in some way the mental and physical torture of young people who just want to make it.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
What are the behind the scene shows called? I'd like to look them up and feel bad too.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Grand Fromage posted:

Ha paid. Overtime. You're funny.

ANECDOTAL but none of my Korean friends get overtime ever for anything. I do because it's in my contract and it gives more western working conditions in order to get westerners to actually work here. Actually getting that overtime is another matter, I'm currently owed quite a bit of it.

Yeah, in Korea, because of the cultural differences, you are expected to obey & appease your boss. If your boss needs something done by tomorrow morning, you better loving work through the night, and overtime be damned. I think the corporate culture still sees working beyond your shift (ie: what the west would consider overtime) as an expectation due to your commitment to the company or something.

Perhaps it has to do with the whole community-oriented culture rather than the more individualistic Western mindset. For example, if your team/group is going out for a lunch together, you better go with what the boss says he's eating. You don't have people going "I don't like X, can we eat Y" because you want to fit and not be a detriment to the whole. Guess that sort of applies to the overtime thing as well?

Oh, and I only have a small bit of experience in the industry, but holy poo poo do the staff get terrible hours. Not just the actors, but the staff. Editing is a several-day long series of all-nighters to be repeated every two weeks or even every week. The major channels have improved I hear (SBS,KBS,MBC), but for the companies that handle outsourced production (most dramas, some variety, all of cable), they are paid terribly and do horrible hours. They only do that so hopefully they can move up the ladder and be in one of the top 3 public stations, or be high enough that you manage rather than produce.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GenghisTron posted:

FIRE!

Chiming in to agree with the others, this was fantastic. I thought the Times Square PSY performance was the 'go to' one if you want to see it live, and to know there's a 70 minute build up to how YJS, HaHa and NHC got there is awesome. If you have any interest in Korean TV and you're a native English speaker then this is an absolute must watch... the use of English is hilarious, and to hear the strong American accent that influences their learning is crazy.

The only thing that I didn't get was that I thought the performance at the end was the real one, but presumably that was dress rehearsal? I was confused as I was sure I thought YJS/NHC were in their MV clothes for it, not the suit and dog outfit. I'm guessing a small chunk of the next IC will be covering the end? If there's another full episode to come of them in NYC then I'll be over the moon.

HaHa's reaction to being in NY is pretty much exactly how I'll be when I land there in April. Along with my fear of the New York Police Dimension.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Has anyone seen 'Infinite Girls'? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Girls

I don't think I've seen it subbed before.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

The pHo posted:

The only thing that I didn't get was that I thought the performance at the end was the real one, but presumably that was dress rehearsal? I was confused as I was sure I thought YJS/NHC were in their MV clothes for it, not the suit and dog outfit. I'm guessing a small chunk of the next IC will be covering the end? If there's another full episode to come of them in NYC then I'll be over the moon.

Yeah I was a little confused at first, but I think the first one was actually the dress rehearsal. Maybe they showed that one because it showed their intense nervousness and excitement, but Psy and Hammer were in totally casual clothes still for that one. I guess if you're at Times Square you see two performances then huh?

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Yeah, they did one dress rehearsal (one where YJS is wearing the light-up suit and NHC is wearing the dog suit), and then later, they did the real performance with both the IC guys wearing their original MV costumes. Yes, NHS was in a T-shirt and shorts.

EDIT: Not a fan of Infinite Girls. They basically try to copy IC with a female cast to the point of directly copying every popular game IC tried (moneybag, etc). Yet, the cast are not great, and can't make a situation funny as IC members can. It's not BAD, per say, but it's not great and definitely not creative.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I've been watching the infinity challenge episodes that was in the excellent torrent from Bradster, that show is just so good and at times funnier than running man. The biggest bummer though is that there's some big gaps in amount of episodes subbed.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Depths posted:

I've been watching the infinity challenge episodes that was in the excellent torrent from Bradster, that show is just so good and at times funnier than running man. The biggest bummer though is that there's some big gaps in amount of episodes subbed.

Looks like there's someone going back and filling in some of the holes... 220, Telepathy Special #1, just showed up on Leessang Clown Club.

If you're specifically talking about missing episodes from the shows in the torrent, I put this document together with links to streaming versions of the missing episodes.

I kinda OD'd on too much IC at once, so I haven't been watching much; I've been in the middle of Gangs of Seoul for quite a while now. I did watch the "New York with PSY" episode, and that was pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
If there were any Aussie goons planning on going to the Kpop Heart concert, I've got bad news:

I'm feeling relieved now that I didn't but a ticket. The whole thing seemed kinda dodgy.

I get the feeling the Aus2One are just a bunch of Kpop fans who really want to bring this stuff to here, but due to their lack of expertise they're probably doing more damage than good.

• Locked thread