Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
What I don't understand is why Biden seems to consistently have a low national approval rating.
Taking a snapshot of today from Pew Biden's at 42/42, but their Cheney numbers at the start of Bush's second term were 48/42.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Can Biden honestly win the nomination? Isn't part of his free-wheeling charm acceptable because it's done under the umbrella of the Obama administration? Would that last if he has to stand on his own two legs?

I'm talking purely public and media perception here, too. I fully understand that Biden has a ridiculous resume, has been very active in the administration (at least recently), and is a more than competent administrator/legislator/etc.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Joe Biden is actually President right now.

quote:

Indeed, because of Justice Sotomayor’s important book signing, Biden will be taking the Oath of the Presidency hours before Obama. Thus, between 8:00 a.m. and noon, Biden will be President. In fact, there would be a President Joe Biden, and two Vice Presidents Joe Biden. Well played Sotomayor, well Played.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Biden's sort of a meme, I've taken. Lot of internet liberals embrace Biden and his folksy charm, but most of the low-info voters on either side of the aisle buy the gaffe machine narrative.

It'll be interesting if Hillary doesn't run. Biden will probably pick up the approval rating if he avoids reaffirming the gaffe machine narrative too much(outside, say, calling Obamacare a Big loving Deal) and presents himself as the witty yet wise elder statesman he's been doing as VP.

On Biden vs. Cheney:

The left is also more splintered than the right. Even in 2004, the right was lockstep behind GWB and Cheney. Whereas there's plenty of leftists who view the Obama administration as 90s Republicans and basically voted for him over Romney because Romney is Romney, and that's terrifying. You end up not really approving of the guy you voted for.

That said, Biden has a better shot of being President(elected, and not with his two clones on the under-ticket) than Cheney ever did. Cheney never wanted it, and even if he did, I'd find it real hard for him to even compete given he was mostly invisible through the GWB years and he's not charming at all.

I'm personally curious if in the case of a Biden 2016 nomination if he sways any voters from the right on simply being a white male, or if being attached to Obama(regardless of the success of term #2) taints him in their distorted world view. How much is race a factor, in say, Missouri?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I'm personally curious if in the case of a Biden 2016 nomination if he sways any voters from the right on simply being a white male, or if being attached to Obama(regardless of the success of term #2) taints him in their distorted world view. How much is race a factor, in say, Missouri?

I'm sure plenty of people can rationalize it as "he was just trying to keep the presidency at least partially white" or some other racist bullshit.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
And Cheney was president, while GWB was under anesthesia for a colonoscopy or something. Guess he didn't use it as an opportunity to give Scooter Libby a full pardon.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I am now fairly convinced after the lame duck and inauguration ceremonies that Biden is already running.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Biden's going to be traveling to Germany, France and the UK next month as well for high level meetings.

And when he gets back, if anyone asks Obama whether Biden accomplished anything I'm betting he'll be a bit more generous than, "If you give me a week, I may think of something."

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
In addition to the "gaffe" (which was not a gaffe) at the Iowa inaugural ball (which revealed he was at the Iowa inaugural ball), Biden also invited essentially every major and semi-major Democrat in New Hampshire to the small private swearing in ceremony yesterday at the Naval Observatory. He's not even pretending well.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Even during the campaign his staff was telling reporters that they were looking into a 2016 run. He's never been hiding it. People just didn't want to believe because they think he'll be too old or Hillary will run and take all the wind out of his sails.

Assuming Hillary doesn't run, it'll be very interesting to see if there are prominent challenges to Biden. Cuomo won't challenge Hillary, but he might run against Biden.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

A popular Biden is a terrible, terrible candidate for Cuomo to be running against in a clash of the titans kind of primary. Biden's going to be able to flank Cuomo on gay rights/gun control/works well with Republicans, which are the essential cores of the Cuomo primary argument. Biden's one of the two plausible candidates in the party that can beat Cuomo in name rec and money. When you put Joe Biden and Andrew Cuomo in rural Iowa and New Hampshire to try and win the party faithful with personality and charisma, well, Joe Biden's going to win a lot more retail votes than Andrew Cuomo. And of course Biden's already done this twice, which is a significant advantage for things like the seven dwarves debates and personal relationships with the right operatives in the key states.

The more I ponder 2016, the more I realize just how formidable Biden is if he's healthy and he wants it. He's not quite Hillary, but he presents a lot of the same challenges to that Cuomo/O'Malley/Warner class, the second tier of the eastern white males.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I completely agree. I just think Cuomo is the only challenger to Biden who is not named Hillary who could make it a serious contest through New Hampshire. If neither Hillary nor Cuomo challenges Biden we'll be in a primary situation like 2000 where Bill Bradley ran against Gore, but nobody really cared.

If the state-level Democratic bench were strong enough that there was a credible non-Hillary female or black challenger this would possibly be different, but the party has a lot of building to do there.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

If the state-level Democratic bench were strong enough that there was a credible non-Hillary female or black challenger this would possibly be different, but the party has a lot of building to do there.

In that vein I suspect Kirsten Gillibrand would be the biggest obstacle from New York for Biden and not Cuomo, although I still assume that Clinton/Cuomo/Gillibrand are all going to get in a room at some point in 2014 and hash out which one of them is actually running.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

A popular Biden is a terrible, terrible candidate for Cuomo to be running against in a clash of the titans kind of primary.

But is Biden really all that popular? Pew has his approval ratings at 42% 10 points lower than Obama's.

I'm not saying he can't become popular later, or he wouldn't become popular actively running in a primary. But right now, Biden seems to be more of the Beltway favorite more than anything else.

Joementum posted:

Even during the campaign his staff was telling reporters that they were looking into a 2016 run. He's never been hiding it. People just didn't want to believe because they think he'll be too old or Hillary will run and take all the wind out of his sails.

Assuming Hillary doesn't run, it'll be very interesting to see if there are prominent challenges to Biden. Cuomo won't challenge Hillary, but he might run against Biden.

Does Cuomo have ties to the Clinton camp that make you certain of that? Or is she just that big of a force that he probably won't consider it, while Biden is at least possibly beatable?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

But is Biden really all that popular? Pew has his approval ratings at 42% 10 points lower than Obama's.

I'm not saying he can't become popular later, or he wouldn't become popular actively running in a primary. But right now, Biden seems to be more of the Beltway favorite more than anything else.

Does Cuomo have ties to the Clinton camp that make you certain of that? Or is she just that big of a force that he probably won't consider it, while Biden is at least possibly beatable?

Former HUD Secretary Cuomo and the Clintons be tight. Its been said the he considers Bill to be his mentor and solicits his advice regularly.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 22, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

notthegoatseguy posted:

The latter. If Hillary announces early, she clears the field because you have to be a very special person to beat Hillary Clinton in a 2016 primary and Cuomo is not that person because that person doesn't really exist. Now if Hillary delays her announcement (and I won't believe she's not running until she misses a filing deadline) things get interesting for Cuomo.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

PPP has Biden at 73/22 favorables among Democrats - and Cuomo at 36/20. Biden's global job performance numbers are meaningless in a Dem primary. Biden's nearly as popular as Clinton and Obama amongst Democrats, and most importantly universally known (in major contrast to 1988 and 2008), whereas Cuomo's favorables amongst Democrats are not robust and his name recognition is only so-so considering his position and press.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'd look into historical precedents and check the difference in approval ratings between presidents and their VPs throughout history before coming to any conclusion.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ufarn posted:

I'd look into historical precedents and check the difference in approval ratings between presidents and their VPs throughout history before coming to any conclusion.

Opinion polls don't mean too much until the campaign begins, because most people aren't particularly aware of the candidate. Approval ratings can look pretty bad 24 months out, much less 36, but it's just because there's no established identity.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kaal posted:

Opinion polls don't mean too much until the campaign begins, because most people aren't particularly aware of the candidate. Approval ratings can look pretty bad 24 months out, much less 36, but it's just because there's no established identity.
I don't expect the numbers to show anything negative either, there's just no need to jump to the conclusion that Biden has bad odds.

Especially considering whatever the hell the GOP end up electing.

At least the debates will be better to watch for Democrats.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
I can imagine Christie adding some color to the GOP debate. It's going to be either him or Rubio. I have a deep desire for Rand to win some states and play kingmaker though. Christie, spurned, goes ballistic.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2013

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Brigadier Sockface posted:

I can imagine Christie adding some color to the GOP debate. It's going to be either him or Rubio. I have a deep desire for Rand to win some states and play kingmaker though.

Would be amazing to watch Christine loose in at primary debate at a tea party type question.

"Listen assholes this tea party poo poo means you'll never win the general election!"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I want to imagine a huge reason Biden isn't that popular is because not as many really knows about him besides "lol gaffe machine".

With full media attention, that could change.

Edit: Also I fully believe Christie stands the highest chance of winning in the GOP so people will probably stand behind him begrudgingly regardless of what happens. He's going to get the nod IMO. Then again I'm a total idiot!

anime was right fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 22, 2013

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Other than supporting Amtrak, does Biden have any unique policy positions that distinguish him from all of the milquetoast Democrats? I can't really remember anything that might have made me want to vote for him over Obama or Hillary in 2008.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Waterbed posted:

I want to imagine a huge reason Biden isn't that popular is because not as many really knows about him besides "lol gaffe machine".

With full media attention, that could change.

Edit: Also I fully believe Christie stands the highest chance of winning in the GOP so people will probably stand behind him begrudgingly regardless of what happens. He's going to get the nod IMO. Then again I'm a total idiot!

If it were Hillary vs Christie, I'd be hopeful to see Arkansas and West Virgina go blue.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

Other than supporting Amtrak, does Biden have any unique policy positions that distinguish him from all of the milquetoast Democrats? I can't really remember anything that might have made me want to vote for him over Obama or Hillary in 2008.

It probably isn't an issue an electorate (any electorate) will be attracted to, but he was either the ranking or chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, switching places with Lugar depending on the party in power. Not that there's a single issue there, but he has a lot of experience in that area and, similar to how he's buddy-buddy with his former colleagues in the Senate, he has relationships with world leaders as well.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

It probably isn't an issue an electorate (any electorate) will be attracted to, but he was either the ranking or chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, switching places with Lugar depending on the party in power. Not that there's a single issue there, but he has a lot of experience in that area and, similar to how he's buddy-buddy with his former colleagues in the Senate, he has relationships with world leaders as well.

He also chaired Judiciary. He was one of the lead authors of VAWA, amongst many other things.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I have to give him credit for this:

Biden posted:

WASHINGTON -- Vice President Joe Biden said transgender discrimination is "the civil rights issue of our time" during a visit to a Florida field office on Tuesday, according to pool reports.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Don't make me love you, Biden, don't you dare. :negative:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
On a personal level, I'm hoping Biden gets in and gets in early.

I'm surprised Cuomo is still thoroughly a Clintonite, though, since he was the point man for the clusterfuck that was almost nominating Mario Cuomo to the Supreme Court. I can't imagine that did him any favors.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

CheesyDog posted:

I have to give him credit for this:

The cynic in me tells me it was just pandering, the optimist points out we haven't been worth pandering to before.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Biden won't run because he can't drive his vette while he's in the White House.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
At last, now that the inauguration ceremony is done with we can now fully focus on this, the country's most pressing issue.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Biden is a pretty enthusiastic supporter of women's rights, and he created the Violence Against Women Act. (which the GOP just let expire a couple weeks ago)

If the GOP goes full rape apologist mode again in 2016, Biden would probably tear them to pieces over it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The only thing that would not be fun in a Biden race would be the incessant chattering of practically everyone about Biden being a gaffemaker. It might not even matter if Christie says "I intend to ban all abortions" if a Biden gaffe like "back in chains" ends up being all that's on voters' lips.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The only thing that would not be fun in a Biden race would be the incessant chattering of practically everyone about Biden being a gaffemaker. It might not even matter if Christie says "I intend to ban all abortions" if a Biden gaffe like "back in chains" ends up being all that's on voters' lips.

A lot of Biden's "gaffes" aren't actually gaffes, he likes to push buttons. His biggest problem is actually message discipline, not gaffes.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

jeffersonlives posted:

A lot of Biden's "gaffes" aren't actually gaffes, he likes to push buttons. His biggest problem is actually message discipline, not gaffes.

Sure they aren't. But that doesn't mean it's what the public at large will hear/believe.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jeffersonlives posted:

Exactly. I remember when he first found out that people were all over his "back in chains" comment, his response was "That's the part they're upset about??" He's a passionate, likable guy, and he owned his debate against Ryan. Most of Biden's credibility is going to depend on how the economy goes the next 4 years. If things go backwards, or don't improve quickly enough, he might be seen as a continuation of the same failed policies going up against the fresh, new face of Chris Christie. Christie can come off as moderate and bi-partisan when he needs to, and when he's upset about something that you're upset about, he owns. That'd be an interesting election cycle.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
So he could just be hungover from the awesome after party he threw yesterday, but today Rahm Emanuel said his next election is in 2016. Chicago mayor election will be 2015 :tinfoil:

http://www.suntimes.com/17738411-761/freudian-slip-or-just-tired-rahm-says-next-election-2016-primary.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Misandrist Duck posted:

So he could just be hungover from the awesome after party he threw yesterday, but today Rahm Emanuel said his next election is in 2016. Chicago mayor election will be 2015 :tinfoil:

http://www.suntimes.com/17738411-761/freudian-slip-or-just-tired-rahm-says-next-election-2016-primary.html
I'll personally buy my own ticket to move to a swing state to make this man lose the primary.

• Locked thread