Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
In cases where a company releases two similar kits (say, two tanks of different configurations, or an AT gun and a self propelled AT gun) it is cheaper to make a single sprue with pieces from both kits on it, than to make two completely different sprues. In a lot of plastic kits, you will have bits left over.

In cases with track links, you will always get more than enough, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also you'll get some just to stick on the side of the tank for optional storage or cheapo up armouring.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My first ever T-34-85 kit came with, like, half a track worth of spares. I put them all on as extra armour. That thing looked hilarious and awesome at the same time.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Makes sense, actually. I did lose two or three track links and was happy to have the spares.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

No Pun Intended posted:

Now I want to paint a bunch of tanks in household camo and hide them everywhere. Great job!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. The stripes were masked with bluetac, and were done over a white base. I did have exhaust stains on the rear heat shield, but otherwise did little weathering, supposedly because it was a fantasy tank (but now that I'm thinking about this) probably because the paint job itself was crazy complected, and I didn't want to screw it up. I think it may be a first of a series...as my skills improve maybe I'll try a digital camo version...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of duplicate parts, I just opened a Tamiya German bicycle messenger kit. They included an entire extra figure, and a pile of accessories, just because there was a bicycle in that sprue and the kit called for two.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
I finished the assembly part. Now I want to use my sculpting powers to make the tank look more "in use" rather than bone stock out the factory. I'd like to add some nice details like a folding gurney, kit bags, smoke launchers, tow cables, ammo boxes etc.

Shown here with a Caesar 1:72 IDF modern with cornershot that I recently painted.

Mind the gaps!

The hull top and turret are only dry fitted in there so I can paint the tracks and hull top separately. Also missing the 0.3(Browning m1919) machine guns.

Edit: and the 0.5 (Browning M2) I'm going to leave out completely.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
If you want to make that tank look in use, you could make one or two of the ERA bricks exploded.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Ensign Expendable posted:

If you want to make that tank look in use, you could make one or two of the ERA bricks exploded.

That might be cool, really battle worn like. I was thinking just with gear on it, maybe some scratches. I don't want to overreach my abilities. I already added two bars across the rear of the turret as I saw them in references.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just went to a new model shop the other day, and they had a lot of model ships on display. I think I've caught the bug....

This might be my next kit:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just went to a new model shop the other day, and they had a lot of model ships on display. I think I've caught the bug....

I fully expect your next post to be about how you glued a mast to your hand and poked out your eye.

Doing some work on the M60:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's a wood kit right? Looks too nice to be plastic.

I got a wooden ship kit for my birthday last year, messed around with it for one afternoon and almost hosed up the whole kit and have been too scared of ruining it to go back. Also, I have no real good place to work on it. I'm hoping to take another crack at it sometime soon though. I really don't understand a lot of the terms people use in wooden shipbuilding, which makes following directions kind of hard.

I need to get back to these things, in addition to the wooden ship I've got 2 plastic ships in various stages of completion, and a third plastic ship new in box.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hellbeard posted:

I fully expect your next post to be about how you glued a mast to your hand and poked out your eye.

Doing some work on the M60:

Tiny tankers unite! How are you doing the storage? I just started work on something new (a 1/72 T-72, in fact, the M 60's nemesis) and I plan on doing my own storage this time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Epi Lepi posted:

That's a wood kit right? Looks too nice to be plastic.

I got a wooden ship kit for my birthday last year, messed around with it for one afternoon and almost hosed up the whole kit and have been too scared of ruining it to go back. Also, I have no real good place to work on it. I'm hoping to take another crack at it sometime soon though. I really don't understand a lot of the terms people use in wooden shipbuilding, which makes following directions kind of hard.

I need to get back to these things, in addition to the wooden ship I've got 2 plastic ships in various stages of completion, and a third plastic ship new in box.

Yep, wooden. I'm totally new to wooden ship kits myself, but I joined the forums over at Model Ship World, and have just been soaking up the info there over the last couple of days. Seems like it's one of the premier, if not the premier model ship building sites on the web, and there's a metric fuckton of talent there. I'm just going to hang around there and read everything I can for a few months, and then maybe pick a kit at that point.

From what I've read so far though, you're right to be frustrated with a wooden ship kit. It sounds like even the better ones have limited instructions, and assume even beginners have a fairly wide-ranging knowledge of ship-building terms and techniques. Even important stuff like plotting and shaping a beard/rabbet line, most kits don't seem to mention it and just assume you know what that is and that you should carve one. The worst kits sounds like they come with little more than the parts and a literal ship plan, and then you have to figure everything out yourself. Actually I should say the worst don't even come with english plans or instructions, or don't even qualify much as kits since you have to reengineer 90% of it to even get it fit together into something resembling a boat. (*cough* Billings Boats *cough*).

Still, looking forward it. Sounds like Jotika/Caldercraft and Model Shipways makes some of the best put together and thought out kits, so I'll check out their wares and see what I like.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

Tiny tankers unite! How are you doing the storage? I just started work on something new (a 1/72 T-72, in fact, the M 60's nemesis) and I plan on doing my own storage this time.

Cool. I'll get around to Soviet armor some day, I'm sure. I'm making the extra bits out of Green Stuff. I think any modelling putty will do, really.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That looks just awesome. I want to build a ship one day. My parents even live in an area by the coast where it is extremely common to have at least one ship of some kind in your window, so it could even be used for something.

Seriously, 90% of the houses will have at least one ship of some kind in a window. Or a seagull.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Time to give this thread another shot of, "HOLY poo poo!".

Guy scratch building a Tiger I with a twist! By the time you get to Page 14 you will never look at your scale models the same again.

Click Here!.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Blistex posted:

Time to give this thread another shot of, "HOLY poo poo!".

Guy scratch building a Tiger I with a twist! By the time you get to Page 14 you will never look at your scale models the same again.

Click Here!.
Oh, it's armourguy! This should be good. :munch:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm almost done with my Jagdpanzer. Can someone explain how to properly do a filter or link me to a youtube video? I seem to be missing something. My last few attempts at it have left streaky residue everywhere and I'm loathe to mess up this model after I've put in a good 20+ hours.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Mirthless posted:

I'm almost done with my Jagdpanzer. Can someone explain how to properly do a filter or link me to a youtube video? I seem to be missing something. My last few attempts at it have left streaky residue everywhere and I'm loathe to mess up this model after I've put in a good 20+ hours.

Here you go, just a few of the first google results:
- A very torough explanation by MigJimenez, though the English/Spanglish is a bit odd.
http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw02.htm
- mentioned again here (step2)
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/01/stuff_eng_tech_afv_weathering.htm
- one of the first hits was this vid. (effect looks a bit heavy, could be diluted a bit more imo.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpawT_bIZks

- works best on a gloss ro semi-gloss surface
- dilute oils to 90%-95%

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Hi folks, I've been working on a free (no ads) application for Android mobile devices (requires android 4.0) for a bit now, which is intended for scale model builders and miniature painters.

The application is called Scale Model Helper, and the details page for it on google play is: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.OrbSoftware.HobbyHelper

Right now I have FS, RAL, RLM, Humbrol, Revell, Tamiya colors in it, but I will add as many color brands as possible. I'm also planning to add a color inventory features and other stuff. If there's interest, I'll create a web site with the same functionality for non android users.

Anyway, check it out, and let me know what you think.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

alcyon posted:

Here you go, just a few of the first google results:
- A very torough explanation by MigJimenez, though the English/Spanglish is a bit odd.
http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw02.htm
- mentioned again here (step2)
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/01/stuff_eng_tech_afv_weathering.htm
- one of the first hits was this vid. (effect looks a bit heavy, could be diluted a bit more imo.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpawT_bIZks

- works best on a gloss ro semi-gloss surface
- dilute oils to 90%-95%

I followed the first two earlier and got huge blobbing paint smears everywhere, which is why I asked in the thread. I was hoping somebody had actually done it who can explain it.

The video is tremendously helpful, though. I wasn't able to find that when I searched, but maybe I was terming the search wrong.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 24, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Mig produces some amazing stuff, but I find his tutorials less than helpful. He even put out a book on his technique, and there is virtually no text in the entire thing. It's all just photos of paintbrushes touching models next to jars of pigment, and you're just sort of supposed to interpret what's going on in the photo.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

It's been well over two years since I last tried, but as fat as I remember a smooth non porous surface is necessary before applying the filter(hence the satin/glossy varnish over the basecoat(s)). If you're using small quantities of oils in turpentine you should have plenty time moving paint around and preventing blobbing and paint smears. Maybe use more retarder if using acrylics?
I'm sure one of the other posters has more recent/clear advice.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You know....

I always just slap Devlan Mud on it. Works fine.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GreenDragon42 posted:

Hi folks, I've been working on a free (no ads) application for Android mobile devices (requires android 4.0) for a bit now, which is intended for scale model builders and miniature painters.

The application is called Scale Model Helper, and the details page for it on google play is: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.OrbSoftware.HobbyHelper

Right now I have FS, RAL, RLM, Humbrol, Revell, Tamiya colors in it, but I will add as many color brands as possible. I'm also planning to add a color inventory features and other stuff. If there's interest, I'll create a web site with the same functionality for non android users.

Oh holy poo poo this looks awesome. The model shop I like to go to has no cell coverage so when I need to check what paint I need I end up having to ask the guy who runs the place who only does planes and cars and doesn't particularly know Armor.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenDragon42 posted:

Sounds cool! Maybe expand the paint selection to brands and lines not necessarily focused on model making, but it sounds like you're going to be doing that anyway. Maybe add in Createx, Createx Wicked Colors, Golden, Liquitex, Comart, Windsor & Newton, Delta, Vallejo, etc etc.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
GW and Vallejo are probably the most common "wargamer" quality colours, but Vallejo do some nice fancypants model ranges too. P3 aren't bad either, and are definitely worth including.

Mirthless posted:

Oh holy poo poo this looks awesome. The model shop I like to go to has no cell coverage so when I need to check what paint I need I end up having to ask the guy who runs the place who only does planes and cars and doesn't particularly know Armor.
The one I go to has the same problem, but since I never had a smart phone I just write codes and colour names in a notebook and do it oldschool.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Reaper Master Series is also pretty common.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Mirthless posted:

I've planned the application in advance for situations like this, that's why all the color data is embedded in the application, no wifi needed, so you can access it anywhere.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sounds cool! Maybe expand the paint selection to brands and lines not necessarily focused on model making, but it sounds like you're going to be doing that anyway. Maybe add in Createx, Createx Wicked Colors, Golden, Liquitex, Comart, Windsor & Newton, Delta, Vallejo, etc etc.

I've had Vallejo on my to do list. I wasn't aware of the brands that you've mentioned, and they might be a bit more trouble to classify their colors, but I've added them to my list, though I'm planning to do the model brands first.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenDragon42 posted:

I've had Vallejo on my to do list. I wasn't aware of the brands that you've mentioned, and they might be a bit more trouble to classify their colors, but I've added them to my list, though I'm planning to do the model brands first.

Yeah, I'd leave a lot of these guys until the more common models paints are covered. Companies like Golden, Delta, and Liquitex have absolutely massive paint lines with hundreds of colors, so covering their entire range will be daunting.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Holy poo poo, have you guys seen this place Miniatur World in Germany? It's the craziest, most awesome miniature world setup I've ever seen. Even the cars drive around the towns and the planes take off! The amount of modeling work it must have took to create this is astounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACkmg3Y64_s

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
It's in Hamburg. I visited in 2008 and it was amazing. They're constantly updating it too so I hope to go back eventually. The amount of details they put into it along with all the little easter eggs is just fantastic. Recommend it for anyone if you get out to Germany. Hamburg is also a really awesome city.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Hey, the damned ferret is done.

6 months for a small kit is way too long, it shows exactly how lazy of a gently caress builder I am. I really need to step up this poo poo or I will probably be done with my stash in fifty years. :gonk:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Let me be the first to say this is thoroughly gorgeous. I also like your photos can you tell us what set up you use please?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So I was poking around on HLJ and I found this:

1/35 Sd.Kfz.181 Tiger I Ultimate Kit by Model Factory Hiro

quote:

¥42,750 USD $469.74; €346.23

:stare:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pricy, but seems worth it for an armor fanatic, considering the quality of the parts they're including. Sounds like all resin and metal construction. And with all the detail extras they're including, like interiors and engine compartment, you could almost approach that price on a plastic kit and all the aftermarket kits it would take to build something with as much detail, but in this case you get all that but upgraded to resin and metal.

This hobby is so drat expensive though. Now that I want to get into model ships, those things tend to start at $200, with many of the top of the line kits getting up to $1500.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pricy, but seems worth it for an armor fanatic, considering the quality of the parts they're including. Sounds like all resin and metal construction. And with all the detail extras they're including, like interiors and engine compartment, you could almost approach that price on a plastic kit and all the aftermarket kits it would take to build something with as much detail, but in this case you get all that but upgraded to resin and metal.

This hobby is so drat expensive though. Now that I want to get into model ships, those things tend to start at $200, with many of the top of the line kits getting up to $1500.

Yeah. The tiger is my favorite tank, so is love to have this kit myself. I jokingly asked my wife if I could buy it. If I made about twice as much as I do, I probably would seriously consider it.

It's just amazing to me that there is a real market for these ultra premium model kits. It would be nice to live in Japan with this hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mirthless posted:

Yeah. The tiger is my favorite tank, so is love to have this kit myself. I jokingly asked my wife if I could buy it. If I made about twice as much as I do, I probably would seriously consider it.

It's just amazing to me that there is a real market for these ultra premium model kits. It would be nice to live in Japan with this hobby.

Except for space. I'm not sure what you'd do with a giant Tiger model in a tiny apartment.