Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think the 6-speed just has a standard hex drain plug, plus another one for the pan (you need to drain from both places). The rear diff needs some sort of a huge wrench to get one of the plugs out, 30mm I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Is the automatic transmission fluid in a 125k mile '03 Forester worth replacing if it's the first time? We bought the car about 9 months ago and I need to look through the maintenance records for a previous transmission fluid flush. I destroyed my beloved first car by flushing the auto trans fluid for the first time around 160k miles. If I can find a record of even one change I'm going to do it again ASAP, but if it's never been changed before I'm worried about touching it at all...stupid magical automatic transmissions :ohdear:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Was the Forester XT ever offered with a manual? I was just reading that the new one is CVT only.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Cellular Suicide posted:

Is the automatic transmission fluid in a 125k mile '03 Forester worth replacing if it's the first time? We bought the car about 9 months ago and I need to look through the maintenance records for a previous transmission fluid flush. I destroyed my beloved first car by flushing the auto trans fluid for the first time around 160k miles. If I can find a record of even one change I'm going to do it again ASAP, but if it's never been changed before I'm worried about touching it at all...stupid magical automatic transmissions :ohdear:

I bought my basket case legacy with 192 on the clock. It had an auto. One of the solenoids was damaged and I had to drop the pan to replace it. Fresh oil and it shifts fine. The 4eat is a really durable box.

blk posted:

Was the Forester XT ever offered with a manual? I was just reading that the new one is CVT only.

Yes, the older toaster chassis had plenty of 5mts. the new SUV lookin ones are auto only. The older ones are better as they have sti blocks and not confetti pistons.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
However I'm pretty sure the new one is the only way to get the FA20DIT at the moment. I eagerly anticipate salvage yard content.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

blk posted:

Mother FUCKER what the hell are those dickheads thinking?

Yes, the XT was in manual. I had an 04 and it was hands down the most hilarious wagon even stock I could have possibly desired. Absolutly loved it.

(Still, the 06 WRX was a good step up.....)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Not only is it CVT only but it doesn't even have a hood scoop (opting instead for a first-gen MS3 style hood intake gap). Subaru have gone sort of crazy in the North American market.

You can't buy a Legacy with a manual regardless of trim, for instance. At least you can still get a WRX/STI without a sunroof.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Slightly boring, but probably fairly simple question:

I ran over a glass bottle left on the road and it wrecked one of my front tyres. They're in mediocre state so I figure I might just get a full new set.

I'm in Australia, so I dont do snow driving or anything, but like to have a bit of fun.

With that in mind: What would be a good set of tyres for a 2010 Subaru Impreza? (Not WRX)

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Hammer Floyd posted:

Slightly boring, but probably fairly simple question:

I ran over a glass bottle left on the road and it wrecked one of my front tyres. They're in mediocre state so I figure I might just get a full new set.

I'm in Australia, so I dont do snow driving or anything, but like to have a bit of fun.

With that in mind: What would be a good set of tyres for a 2010 Subaru Impreza? (Not WRX)

Hankook Ventus V12's are a pretty safe bet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...utoModClar=2.5i

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm sure the question has been asked before or even done by someone here in the past -

How hard is it to put the entire driveline and suspension of a 06 WRX into a 99 Forester, including alloy control arms etc? I'm pretty sure it's viable but I cant remember if there's things we need to pay attention to.

Oh and then there's the brakes as well after that.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
Would there realistically be any noticeable difference in the way a 4EAT VTD or 5mt equipped Subie handles?
I'm seriously considering picking up a manual swapped SVX that's being advertised at the moment. It's had the 4EAT replaced with a '98 WRX 5mt and an uprated clutch.
From what I understand, Subaru's with the 4EAT VTD transmissions split the torque with a default rear bias (36/64 in my old SVX) using a planetary gear arrangement, while the 5mt has a default 50/50 with the viscous diff.
Would this translate to perhaps being more understeer prone on the road? Has anyone compared the difference in say a manual Legacy GT vs an Auto?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm sure the question has been asked before or even done by someone here in the past -

How hard is it to put the entire driveline and suspension of a 06 WRX into a 99 Forester, including alloy control arms etc? I'm pretty sure it's viable but I cant remember if there's things we need to pay attention to.

Oh and then there's the brakes as well after that.

It depends if you're keeping the lift blocks. If you are, you need at the very least different control arm pivot mounts (IIRC, the Forester ones run extra caster to compensate for the angle they're mounted at). I think something also has to get done with the lateral links in the rear for the same reason. If you're not, you can basically treat it like a GC (with the attendant issues regarding wider track width from the sedan LCAs and lat links).

Power steering might be a bitch but you can swap the front subframe with a GD one.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 20, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Caster is the same, but the mount is taller. Used without the lift blocks it will change the anti-geometry and cause some binding at the bushing. The urethane bushing in the WL ALK is mounted at an angle to compensate for different pivot point and angle.

The only thing that's different on the older car is the rear strut top. So you can either drill some new holes or get a tophat for an older car.

Basically you would just unbolt the forester crossmembers and bolt in the wrx ones. Without lift blocks you need a shorter steering linkage, and I think the splines are different, but you could take the two apart and make one that fits.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's probably what I was thinking of, though I seem to remember if you put a Forester arm in a GC you gain some caster. I am probably thinking of the mount.

There's a service in the US that builds conversion u-joints for power steering swaps, but you could easily get one welded together yourself.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Slow is Fast posted:

I bought my basket case legacy with 192 on the clock. It had an auto. One of the solenoids was damaged and I had to drop the pan to replace it. Fresh oil and it shifts fine. The 4eat is a really durable box.

Why did you have to change the solenoid?

I have an '03 Forester auto which shudders at full lock both ways. Internet tells me it is most likely some solenoid that regulates drive to the rear wheels (or something like that).

Was that your problem?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

huh posted:

Why did you have to change the solenoid?

I have an '03 Forester auto which shudders at full lock both ways. Internet tells me it is most likely some solenoid that regulates drive to the rear wheels (or something like that).

Was that your problem?

Some dingbat jacked the car up by the auto trans pan, which crushes it upwards into the solenoids. I had a clearly broken one. Swapped it out and was good to go. There are details and pictures in my project thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451672&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11

Rocketmoose
Feb 5, 2010
Hello fellow Subaru goons. I have a '12 wrx hatch, I'm currently looking at a Perrin down pipe and AP, maybe even a full exhaust. Due to the hatch I am concerned about drone, but really want that low gurgle boxers are famous for. Any suggestions on an exhaust, or anything against the mentioned Perrin products?

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
Are Primitive Racing's skidplates any good? They're the only company I can find that make a (legitimate-seeming) skidplate for the Legacy. I think I remembered one of you guys had one, but I'm not 100%.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The Jabberwocky posted:

Are Primitive Racing's skidplates any good? They're the only company I can find that make a (legitimate-seeming) skidplate for the Legacy. I think I remembered one of you guys had one, but I'm not 100%.

I have one 3/16s is fine. Done probably 500+ miles of logging roads with it and its held up great. Going to do stage rally with it this summer and that's probably when 3/16ths will start deforming due to hitting poo poo at speed.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Slow is Fast posted:

I have one 3/16s is fine. Done probably 500+ miles of logging roads with it and its held up great. Going to do stage rally with it this summer and that's probably when 3/16ths will start deforming due to hitting poo poo at speed.

Cool. They just have a sweet 90s website, which always throws red flags. I'm not doing any rally or anything, but I just swapped to lower suspension and am being paranoid, so that sounds like a plan. Tearing suspension poo poo off a 10 year-old Legacy is a pain in the rear end, by the way. Who knew.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
This weekend was the first weekend of ice racing. I did pretty well in my STi considering how much of a handful it is with just winter tires on. I took some video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVArhegntmU

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
It's new car time, and I'm pretty much down to either the WRX or the WRX STI (both hatchback, 2013). Advice on the main Subaru forums is all over the place, leaving me more confused than when I started researching. Realistically, the car will spend 80% of its life commuting, and 20% in the canyons and an occasional autocross, and maybe a track day or 2 a year. Is the STI worth the additional $6k?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wilkenm posted:

It's new car time, and I'm pretty much down to either the WRX or the WRX STI (both hatchback, 2013). Advice on the main Subaru forums is all over the place, leaving me more confused than when I started researching. Realistically, the car will spend 80% of its life commuting, and 20% in the canyons and an occasional autocross, and maybe a track day or 2 a year. Is the STI worth the additional $6k?

If you can afford it (and the insurance) I'd do it.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
So I was driving my friends 06 Legacy GT and the car makes this weird sound, like a bird's tweet whenever it gets up to speed, however when breaking it disappears, I can only hear it with the windows down .... it sounds JUST like a bird, never ever heard that one before on any car, Amy ideas?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I'm just dropping this in the Subaru thread.

My grandpa has owned this 2000 Forester since it was new. In that time, the car has received barely any maintenance. No timing belt ever. Perhaps two oil changes a year, and that's it. I changed the spark plugs for the first time last year, and while I was taking it apart, I found the original air filter still in it. >>this car has 197,000 miles on it<<

Last week, my grandpa says that he's been hearing rattling. He was driving home, and it just stopped. I towed it the half-a-block home, and noticed a hole in the timing cover. The timing idler departed through that hole.

The tensioner is the upper right pulley. just below it should be a geared idler. It's gone.

Not pretty. There's melted plastic and metal shavings all over the place. I wish I could find the rest of the gear, but it's probably on the highway somewhere. The bolt tore out all the threads as it left, so I need to drill it out and helicoil a new one in there. Not bad for a timing belt that went double the distance it was supposed to.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen an idler die like that before.

I wonder how many teeth the timing belt jumped on the way to that failure. Let us know when you retime it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

wilkenm posted:

Do you know why your want a front LSD?
Do you plan to add power to it?

If the answers are both no, get the WRX.
Basically, you're getting a beefier transmission and some tricker diffs on the STI (and bigger brakes). Everything else different is minor or something I'd be changing eventually anyhow.

mulligan posted:

So I was driving my friends 06 Legacy GT and the car makes this weird sound, like a bird's tweet whenever it gets up to speed, however when breaking it disappears, I can only hear it with the windows down .... it sounds JUST like a bird, never ever heard that one before on any car, Amy ideas?
I had a wheel bearing do something like that. However, my brakes are pretty noisy, so it might have just covered up the noise on braking. If it is a rear and under 100k mi, it is under warranty.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 22, 2013

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
The same thing actually happened to my 99 2.5rs. The idler gear bored a hole through the timing belt cover and escaped down and out onto the highway. It probably had about 140k miles on it (I thought it had been replaced when the previous owner put a brand new engine in at 80k miles). I sold the engine, and the buyer tore it down and found no damage to the pistons or valves despite the jumped teeth.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

wilkenm posted:

The way I justified the extra money was that if I got the WRX, I would always wonder "what-if" about the STI. Fanboy forums like nasioc and iwsti will always just be owners trying to justify their own purchase (wrx vs sti, sedan vs hatch), so you're better just going with your gut.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

dyne posted:

The same thing actually happened to my 99 2.5rs. The idler gear bored a hole through the timing belt cover and escaped down and out onto the highway. It probably had about 140k miles on it (I thought it had been replaced when the previous owner put a brand new engine in at 80k miles). I sold the engine, and the buyer tore it down and found no damage to the pistons or valves despite the jumped teeth.

I bought a 2000 2.5rs from someone who was driving down the highway and "it just died." One of the idler pulleys seized, bent 14 of the valves. This is why you change your pulleys, folks. Surprisingly, the pistons didn't have any marks on them, the valves only just interfere, which makes me wonder why they bother making it an interference engine at all.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

0toShifty posted:

The bolt tore out all the threads as it left, so I need to drill it out and helicoil a new one in there.

First off, the pully with teeth bolts into the waterpump. Since you should be replacing the waterpump anyway, it's a non-issue. A new waterpump will have good threads in it.

It almost certainly has bent valves. These engines almost never hurt the pistons or block, and it's probably leaking at the head gaskets anyway. Honestly, I'd just grab a pair of junk yard heads (assuming you can get them fairly cheap). Have them surfaced, put new gaskets in the thing, and it'll be fine.

Rocketmoose
Feb 5, 2010

wilkenm posted:

I had the same thoughts, the 40 horsepower was not worth the extra money to me, the brembos are horrid for daily driving and as for wondering what if I got the sti... I think about it daily but it is strictly vanity, good luck, you'll love the car regardless.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Rocketmoose posted:

I had the same thoughts, the 40 horsepower was not worth the extra money to me, the brembos are horrid for daily driving and as for wondering what if I got the sti... I think about it daily but it is strictly vanity, good luck, you'll love the car regardless.

Thanks (to everyone) for the responses. I'm about 90% sure I want the STI now, mainly for the 6 speed gear box. The closer ratios felt more like home after driving an S2000 for almost a decade. It's probably not $6k worth of extra happiness, but looking at resale values, it seems the STI holds a decent premium over the WRX, so it would all even out in the end.

Based on a couple comments here, I'm going to go see about a more extensive test drive of the STI. Nothing really seemed unbearable for a daily driver, but it was only a few miles of driving, and so different from my current Crosstour that I spent most of the time in amazement.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Earlier today I had my Maddad Whisper Dual 3.5" tip exhaust installed on my STi :dance:

Naturally, it wouldn't fit with my aftermarket downpipe unless I removed my catpipe which I wasn't willing to do. I took a quick trip to a custom exhaust joint and had him cut and weld the pipes to fit on my existing catpipe.

The sound is great. Rumblier, almost BMWish exhaust note at low rpm and reasonable/civilized amount of sound at higher rpm. I didn't really tear into the boost because I was driving on the street.

Some pics: http://imgur.com/a/JruYD

I think it might look more stock than the stock exhaust even. Maybe I'm in denial. I did pass 3 patrol cars without as much as a second look, and for that I am very happy with the quiet design of this muffler.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Not that I don't trust ebay (heh) but are these the crush washers I should be using for my 2012 Impreza? Link

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just so you know, that's not really any cheaper than you would pay just walking up to the parts counter at your local dealership.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Just so you know, that's not really any cheaper than you would pay just walking up to the parts counter at your local dealership.

But the dealership is a whole ~25 miles away! I do need to get my brakes and whatnot checked for my 15K service so I guess I could just semi-combine the two trips and change my oil when I get home from that.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Get a Fumoto, never change crush washer again.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
What should I be looking for when I look at 02-07 STIs for purchase? Sorry if it's been covered already. Don't currently have the time to go through 362 pages.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Splinter posted:

Get a Fumoto, never change crush washer again.

I've seen conflicting reviews on the valve from full oil drainage issues (threads being too high) to leaking and the valve's durability from road and off-road debris. What's the SA consensus on them? Because my other reading has been NASIOC.