Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I don't really buy that Hakuho has a big ego. I just think that due to his status as a yokozuna, he has to show good sumo at all times. When he gets lazy and doesn't fully go for it and loses, that makes him look bad and he has to do something to compensate so in the next matches he gives it his all which can look pretty brutal at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is there a name for or tradition behind the awesome thigh slap Asashoryu used to do before matches? Or is it just a thing he did to get the salt off his hands?

e: talking about this thing

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 16, 2013

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Why was Takanoyama's match shown on day 1, not in day 2, but then in day 3? I was under the impression that the uploaded videos showed all of the matches for the day. This could have been the case for some of the other sumo, but Takanoyama is the only sumo I'm specifically on the lookout for at this point.

The videos show all of the matches from the highest division. Takanoyama is one of the bubble guys who bounces back and forth between the top of the second highest and the bottom of the highest. This tournament he's in the second highest division. The only reason weve been seeing him at all is that kintamayama knows Takanoyama is popular so he tends to include his good matches even if hes in Juryo (the second division)

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is there a name for or tradition behind the awesome thigh slap Asashoryu used to do before matches? Or is it just a thing he did to get the salt off his hands?

e: talking about this thing

I think that was simply a monstrous fuckoff slap to indicate that his opponent was about to die.

In general, the slapping is just supposed to be intimidating or for psyching up, but the tame guys like Baruto appear to do little more than knock the rest of the salt off his hands.

Other notable psych-ups:
Kisenosato's face smash
Homasho's rear end slaps and chest thumps
And then of course, the immortal Takamisakari

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Here's Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK32lYy9so0

I'll withhold comments until others get a chance to watch.

EDIT: OK give me one here, Kotooshuu vs. Goueido was awesome!

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 17, 2013

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

Here's Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK32lYy9so0

I'll withhold comments until others get a chance to watch.

EDIT: OK give me one here, Kotooshuu vs. Goueido was awesome!

I don't loving know how Kotooshu is still alive and with all body parts. He is involved in seemingly 2/3 of all epic feats of gravity, win or lose.

They need to name a new kimarite after Baruto's helicopter move. I would give my left nut to see him do that kind of move on Hakuho one day.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

TotallyGreen posted:

The videos show all of the matches from the highest division. Takanoyama is one of the bubble guys who bounces back and forth between the top of the second highest and the bottom of the highest. This tournament he's in the second highest division. The only reason weve been seeing him at all is that kintamayama knows Takanoyama is popular so he tends to include his good matches even if hes in Juryo (the second division)

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Why was Takanoyama's match shown on day 1, not in day 2, but then in day 3? I was under the impression that the uploaded videos showed all of the matches for the day. This could have been the case for some of the other sumo, but Takanoyama is the only sumo I'm specifically on the lookout for at this point.

if you (or anyone for that matter) ever want to see a given rikishi in a lower division's match for the day, here's your best resource:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx

this is painstakingly updated and incredibly exhaustive and every single match (with the occasional hiccup in coverage) in every division has a video link

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FiISkdfCfw

Pretty impressive finish by Aran there. Dominant performances by both yokozuna.

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 18, 2013

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FiISkdfCfw

Pretty impressive finish by Aran there. Dominant performances by both yokozuna.

Excellent day - it always seems like it takes a few days for the matches to start getting spirited.

I have no idea what happened there to Baruto. It looked like he was being patient and was in control, and then all of a sudden Kakuryu bulldozed him out.

Excellent sumo from Myogiryu, even though he lost. He prioritized keeping Kotoshogiku off of his belt above luxuries such as having balance and breathing air, which is exactly what someone 35kg lighter than 'Giku should do.

Kisenosato's impeccable balance really shone as Toyohibiki's effort was enough to beat anyone else.

... if I don't stop now I could easily comment on half of the matches today. Just some really good techniques and hard-fought matches all around.

Paratan
Jan 1, 2008

it's sumo, folks
He's not particularly exciting in my eyes, so Kotooshuu fan club today was cute :3:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

I have no idea what happened there to Baruto. It looked like he was being patient and was in control, and then all of a sudden Kakuryu bulldozed him out.

i think his injury is still really bothering him and is making it difficult for him to outlast anybody, or get a particularly great tachi-ai in.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I feel bad for Baruto's eventual loss, but it was really nice seeing a brief return to the immovable wall we all love. There were a ton of great matches today, though. Aran's match in particular saw my jaw hit the floor.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

seorin posted:

I feel bad for Baruto's eventual loss, but it was really nice seeing a brief return to the immovable wall we all love. There were a ton of great matches today, though. Aran's match in particular saw my jaw hit the floor.

Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5NBVy267g0

I thought Baruto's back was going to break.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Even if he won't make it back to ozeki this tournament as is becoming increasingly more likely, he has what it takes to get there eventually, barring any more injuries that is.

Harumafuji looks like he got that sillyness that hosed him up last tournament out of his system and is firmly back to his :black101: sumo.

Miyabiyama going out like this is a tad depressing. Even though he has been doing poorly the past few tournaments, going out on a whimper like this is just sad.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
in the lower divisions, osunaarashi and iwasaki, two of the most interesting rikishi to watch in makushita, both won and improved to 3-0 yesterday... they face each other tomorrow. there's a pretty solid chance that whoever wins that match will end up capturing the makushita yusho, but i don't think that will be sufficient to move either of them up to juryo from the rank they're at currently. they could both be there by the end of the year though, and if they do really well could even end up in makuuchi. still a ways to go for that though.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
What is Iwasaki's story, or is he just really good? Im familiar with Osunaarashi but Ive never heard of the other guy (not that that means anything)

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
iwasaki's a college rikishi who has only lost once since leaving the college ranks - he could be on a very similar path to chiyotairyu, although he didn't get to debut as high on the banzuke as chiyotairyu did. another one to watch, on that note, is hamaguchi - he's still in sandanme but he also started out of college at the same time iwasaki did and he and iwasaki had a few very impressive bouts against each other to decide the yusho in jonokuchi and jonidan (iwasaki won both). hamaguchi's lost 3 times since college, all in his last basho but he's started off 3-0 in this one and it's pretty likely he ends up in makushita next basho.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_XgB-2lmWw

some really fantastic matches today. and a hair pull disqualification - when was the last time we saw one of those in makuuchi??

either way, best day so far. enjoy.

e:

and in osunaarashi news, he won his matchup with iwasaki today, and is now one of only two undefeated rikishi in makushita this basho. there were a lot of people who thought he was all hype thanks to his status as the first african rikishi and it looks like he's proving them all wrong. i think he'll definitely be in the sekitori ranks in 2013.

e2: actually, spoke too soon about him being only one of 2 undefeated in makushita - there are several rikishi who are at 3-0 and have yet to have their 4th match, he's one of only 2 who are at 4-0.

a false fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 19, 2013

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Looks like Takanoyama is making an early bid for henka of the year already. It's going to be hard to pull of a more shameless and blatant one than that.

Weirdly enough, the last occurrence of a hansoku for hairpulling was in September 2011 when Fujiazuma got disqualified for pulling Tamawashi's hair aswell. Bit more blatant than today though, this seemed more like a case of inadvertently holding on to the head a bit too high up.

Bitching performance by Tochinoshin, highlight of the day.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i thought takanoyama's henka was hilarious. just watching chiyonokuni fly clean off the screen like that... honestly, with a guy like takanoyama you've got to be ready for that. he at least does a bit of a sidestep most of the time, you should know better than do lunge headlong that way at the tachi-ai.

and i totally agree re: tochinoshin. what an excellent finish.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
So what's the position of the gyoji when it comes to hair pulling or any other violations? Is he there just to signal who touched the ground, leaving disqualifications to the shimpan, or can he stop the bout and award the disqualification himself?

fake edit: Apparently one of the gyoji wanted to get in on the shiny gold

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Great day all around! I was also amused to see Baruto gently holding Aran's butt. That had to be kind of awkward.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAaAXW_ZQbs getting it here and will comment after!

Great effort today!

Baruto looks like there's a fire under his rear end now. Takonayama made a great twist to get out of the way and win, that was a great move. I wonder if the big(ger) league rikishi just don't fall for that stuff? Miyabiyama just couldn't buy a win, Kintamayama commented "if he chooses to continue". Is it usual for a rikishi to go 0-8 then withdraw?

Masunoyama my man just ran out of gas as you can easily see at the end he's dragging himself. I guess that's what happens when you have a bum ticker.

Kisenosato v. Shouhouzan: The staredown after the matta was awesome but the match didn't have the upset result I was hoping for.

Hakuhou did his thing (win) but Harumafuji looked sharp and alert. He's gonna be tough to knock off in this basho.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 20, 2013

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Pity that Shohozan can't back his pre-tachiai glare-of skills up with comparable sumo. If he manages that fixed, he could go places.

Baruto's going nice, but he still needs one more ozeki and both yokozuna to go and needs at least one win from those three matches. Beating Hakuho tomorrow would be an upset.

As for Miyabiyama, I'm guessing that when there's talk of continuing it's not just this basho, but sumo in general. The guy's 35 and has been steadily sliding down for a while now. There's also the bit where former ozeki are apparently expected to retire when they drop down to Juryo.

Harumafuji is going strong, slapping Gagamaru around like that. Who, on a related note, could stand to lose a bit of weight as he's currently clocking in at some two and a quarter Takanoyama's, without that bulk doing much in his favor.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Seriously, the past few bashos I kept thinking he could be called 'Gigamaru'.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I seriously wonder if Gagamaru has ever rolled over in bed and discovered an entire turkey leg lost in his rear end crack. He'd probably still eat it, too. To be fair, his technique has gotten a bit better, and seeing the human bulldozer in top form is a sight to see.

Anyone else also impressed with Tokitenkuu this basho as well? For me, if it wasn't for that lovely henka on Tochinoshin I'd say he's in the running for one of the prizes. He's learning that he can actually win without trying a kick with those spindly legs of his.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkYlyIy77Xw

tokitenkuu: looks like he made a special effort to prove you right today, fryhtaning
takarafuji: he looks great. certainly wouldn't have picked him to have this kind of a record at this stage.
aoiyama: wow, two hair pull dq's in one basho after none in 2012... there were a few in 2012 that were close and not called though, perhaps they're cracking down
aran: you have got to be loving kidding me. maybe he was just trying to keep masunoyama from overexerting himself?
toyohibiki: glad to see him finally get a win after some very good efforts
kotooshu: continues to look totally uninspired when not kadoban.
baruto: not even close, fought with one leg off the ground again. i understand that he had to fight in order to give himself a chance of getting back to ozeki, but he really needs more time to heal.

overall, pretty good day of bouts. no truly amazing ones but definitely not boring.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
God loving drat it Aran. gently caress you

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I think the question is really "Is this a mindfuck?" when speaking about Aran. He may have done that to keep everyone guessing and maybe catch a stronger competitor sleeping on the tachiai. If he henka-ed there his next opponent needs to beware and he can keep them guessing.

At least that's what I'd like to think.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Funkysauce posted:

I think the question is really "Is this a mindfuck?" when speaking about Aran. He may have done that to keep everyone guessing and maybe catch a stronger competitor sleeping on the tachiai. If he henka-ed there his next opponent needs to beware and he can keep them guessing.

At least that's what I'd like to think.

Surely everyone should try a Henka now and then for precisely this reason?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Never using henka is almost as bad as always using it. Even Hakuho uses it rarely. Now if Aran goes back to 4-5 a tournament...

I feel really bad for Baruto, though. The current injury rules are basically bullshit. Baruto is probably risking a serious re-injury, and look at what's happening to Masunoyama as well.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I'm starting to see the henka in the same light as trying to bunt for a base hit so that the infielders don't play you too deep. Except in sumo, it's about as lovely as trying said bunt against a pitcher throwing a no-hitter. I agree - if that's the only one of the tournament for Aran, it's genius. If he randomly picks one match every basho for a henka, it'll make his other 14 matches a hair easier.

Good day, just not a lot of excitement. Tokitenkuu did pull off a hell of a win. Asahishou is starting to remind me of a smaller (if that's even possible) and younger Toyonoshima. I also crack up a little bit when I see that giant pile of salt streaked across his side of the ring when his highlight comes up.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Re: Injury Rules, I think I've said it before, but they really need to grant injury leave for rikishi and take it on a case by case basis. Someone who is clearly injured like Baruto or needs an operation like Masunoyama should get injury leave. Someone who has a run of the mill injury that doesn't screw things up much would not get injury leave.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

seorin posted:

Never using henka is almost as bad as always using it. Even Hakuho uses it rarely. Now if Aran goes back to 4-5 a tournament...

I feel really bad for Baruto, though. The current injury rules are basically bullshit. Baruto is probably risking a serious re-injury, and look at what's happening to Masunoyama as well.

Yes, but Aran should hold himself to a higher standard, given his history.

Dr.Radical posted:

Re: Injury Rules, I think I've said it before, but they really need to grant injury leave for rikishi and take it on a case by case basis. Someone who is clearly injured like Baruto or needs an operation like Masunoyama should get injury leave. Someone who has a run of the mill injury that doesn't screw things up much would not get injury leave.

Judgement calls like that are not good things to have in place. I dont think have the sumo board or whoever make the call on if someone is "injured enough" is a good plan. While its not hard to differentiate between "torn ligaments in knee" and "twisted ankle", the grey area on the middle is the problem. What about somone with an ankle spain? A severe high ankle spain? A back injury? (many times even real back injuries dont show up on MRI

a lot of this problem is wrestlers coming back too soon. Suck up your pride, take your demotion, and come back fully healthy and ready to kick rear end.

That said, Masunoyama should get an exception being that his "injury" is both non-sumo caused and 100% undeniably real.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Day 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2zAfU-dOkw

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Oof, too bad for Takarafuji.

Maybe Aran was just teaching Masunoyama how to do things yesterday.

First time I've seen a match finisher like the one Kakuryuu did. And Hakuhou was watching and probably figured 'Hey, what's good for the goose is good for the gander'.

Rather pathetic performance by Baruto there.

:laffo: at the dual henka attempt.

E: Public :argh:

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 22, 2013

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
Well it's on Baruto to run the table now. I am pulling for him but I don't see it happening. Is it a good idea to make Ozeki then not show at the next tournament to give time to heal? Or would he immediately be demoted?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Nice work by Ikioi, dodging that henka and winning like that.

Also, Baruto didn't even look as if he was trying today. Probably because he hasn't fully healed just yet but still, being shoved out like this is just pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm all for Aran using henka WHEN APPROPRIATE. It's part of a rikishi's arsenal and is a good tool to unnerve opponents, especially in Aran's case since he has a history of doing it.

There's still plenty of basho left, but it looks to me like it's going to come down to Hakuho and Harumafuji on the last day. It's entirely possible that Hakuho will beat Harumafuji and a suspenseful playoff match will ensue, which I'm crossing my fingers for.