Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Okay, back from the game. I felt amazing the first period but my endurance was totally shot, and by the end of the second period I was terrible.

I scored on I think my second shift with a really good second effort, but my team lost again. I've still only scored in games we lost. I'm starting to think it's a gypsy curse. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Xzzy a safe way to avoid interference: if the player doesn't have the puck or isn't in your crease or slot, don't gently caress with them. Especially at lower levels where people fall from being sneezed at most poo poo is going to look worse than it is.

Well, that's precisely why I got in that situation. I'm at that point where I'm faster than the new guys, but slower than everyone else. A newer skater was fumbling around with the puck against the boards and a better player was moving into pressure. I don't really remember what I was doing other than I got caught in the middle, so I just clamped my stick on top of his to give the new guy a chance to make a pass.

It was scrimmage so no foul but I've been thinking about it since.. my gut says it was interference but the rules don't make it very clear. :v:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Christ, what is it that makes noses bleed so much. Had a guy take a high stick in the face at drop-in last night and it looked like ketchup was just oozing out of his nose as he skated to the locker room. 5 minutes stoppage (infinity minutes in drop-in time), and a lot of scraping blood off the ice with the ole' skate.

Dude was back on the ice ten minutes later.

Thankfully he wasn't wearing a cage, or things could have been much worse.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Had 8 skaters and 2 goalies show up tonight so we did a couple drills then did a thing where we moved the nets up to the faceoff circle and played two on two in the circle with the other players around the circle keeping the puck in. Holy loving poo poo was that tiring. But fun.

We ended practice with an East-West shootout contest and I actually scored twice on four shots :D

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

8 Skaters? That means only one thing...

4-on-4, no subs. :getin:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dangerllama posted:

Full 60 minute game. Last team standing wins. :smug:

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

Petit.Conan posted:

this stuff might be a bit advanced for you, but it will really help you gain a lot of control.

Thanks for this video! I tried some of the stuff at the beginning of the video today - lots of stuff to practice.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

We did this last night for 2 hours on a small non-enclosed ice surface in a sketchy part of Sacramento.

It was really fun and the ice was way better than the indoor rinks around here. :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Set up both goals on the same end of the ice, each net near the hash marks up against the boards. Play 3 on 3, have a blast until dudes legs give out.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

Set up both goals on the same end of the ice, each net near the hash marks up against the boards. Play 3 on 3, have a blast until dudes legs give out.

We have regular 3v3 tournaments and even a league where we did this last year. I actually like those games for building skill and awareness with stickhandling through a crowd.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
We are lucky to have a mini-rink thats perfect for 3 on 3 here, its really fun and a great workout. The changeover from D to O is instantaneous, making a tough night for the goalies.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

This is super fun and I assume what life is like all the time for people lucky enough to have backyard rinks (in the winter at least).

better than mama
Jan 26, 2009
Last night was the best night ever since starting hockey.

The captain put my husband and I on the 3rd line (me left wing and him right wing) and it was our first shift on the ice. The puck was in the boards to the left side of the goalie. I saw him standing in front of the net so passed it to him and he shot. Rebounded out and he was able to shoot it in :siren: while the goalie was laying on the ice. :woop:

It was his first goal ever, and it makes it that much sweeter that I was the one who passed it to him. I feel like this was the moment that getting through all those learn to skate class and pushing him to play payed off. We never ever thought we would be playing ice hockey and to get from just being fans of NHL to playing is amazing.

Hockey is so much better than any kind of marriage counseling.:dance:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Welp, your husband won the loving lottery with you. Amazing story. I'm green with envy.

And we have a mini rink for 3v3 and 4v4, it's a loving shooting gallery for the goalies but it's fun.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

We have regular 3v3 tournaments and even a league where we did this last year. I actually like those games for building skill and awareness with stickhandling through a crowd.

I like these for honing my elite goaltender skills.

Regarding gear upgrades, I just upgraded to a girlfriend who not only likes hockey, but plays it. This is awesome. Highly recommended.

"Wanna go out?"
"Sure, I think there's a stick time, let's go"

:getin:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 21, 2013

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

One of the WHL games I went to last week went to OT and both teams ended up with overlapping penalties that put it down to 3v3. It was nice to see that major junior players are almost as confused by 3v3 play as our beer league team was when it happened to us in a game. So much space, no idea where to be on the ice, really fast transitions, goaltenders hung out to dry... nobody scored, though. The kids were probably so used to being checked and slashed in the slot that when one of them ended up between the hash marks with the puck and no players for 15 feet he over-thought it and sent a shot 2 feet high and wide.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Once upon a time, my SO played hockey IRL. Now he just plays on XBL. RIP.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Regarding gear upgrades, I just upgraded to a girlfriend who not only likes hockey, but plays it. This is awesome. Highly recommended.

"Wanna go out?"

Anyone I know? :v:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 21, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

She was on your last tournament team ;)

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Meanwhile, in the North of England, there is an ice pad smaller than your average neutral zone that they use to play 5 on 5 amateur league hockey on. The rink is so small they can't use a zamboni on it and instead resort to using a tractor with a freezer unit to resurface the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctl5A702h4M

I've scored a hat trick there from behind our own goal line.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

"Wanna go out?"

Someday...

:smith:

Someday...

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Zip! posted:

Meanwhile, in the North of England, there is an ice pad smaller than your average neutral zone that they use to play 5 on 5 amateur league hockey on. The rink is so small they can't use a zamboni on it and instead resort to using a tractor with a freezer unit to resurface the ice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctl5A702h4M

I've scored a hat trick there from behind our own goal line.

This is about the size of the rink I played on every winter the few years I lived north of Denver.

They use a full-size Zamboni on it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Wanted to play tonight ... but its 6 outside with 20-30 mph gusts. Nobody would be there. Could have been awesone or terrible

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

D C fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 22, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Some context would be great DC!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Some context would be great DC!

That was for work.

For work, I was flown into a lodge in BC, and asked to play pond hockey for two days.

for work...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sweet!

Work trips around hockey own if everyone can separate themselves from work and actually play.

What area specifically? Would be an interesting alternative to doing a formal tournament. You'd get more ice time and more convenient drinking time. Maybe I will put that together next year depending on how Can/Am runs this years tournament.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Sweet!

Work trips around hockey own if everyone can separate themselves from work and actually play.

What area specifically? Would be an interesting alternative to doing a formal tournament. You'd get more ice time and more convenient drinking time. Maybe I will put that together next year depending on how Can/Am runs this years tournament.

Well they're already better at registration than USA Hockey! :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Putting the low hand high on the stick to do a poke seems suspicious to me too. Does anyone actually do that.. it seems like you'd be giving up a lot in that case.

Just wanted to revisit this as I didn't remember anyone giving you a clear opportunity where it might make sense. I did this last game. Situation was me shadowing a left handed guy as he went behind our net to the left side boards, the official was along the boards and came out so the player can pass behind him. The player used this official coming off the boards to set a pick on me and turned from skating towards the blue line to skating towards the slot on his forehand. I transitioned to a backwards crossover to keep my shoulders square with his body and put my left hand glove in a fist on his hip and used my stick on my right hand (i'm right handed) to knock the puck away from him. Had I not done this his reach on the forehand would have exceeded mine or I would have given position by not staying on the body and having to reach over while he takes a sharp angle and gets by me.

Not sure if I'm explaining it right but that's one situation where it makes sense. Could also do it if you're late blocking a shot at the point from the opposite shooter and need to reach over to hopefully get your stick on it.

Didn't matter though, we lost 7-0 because we had a few guys missing to dilute the boat anchors on the team from being on every offensive line.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Sweet!

Tyax Lodge in BC, about a 6 hour drive from Vancouver.

schzim
May 24, 2006
tl;dr
I think something is wrong with how I grip my stick, or else the mechanics of my shot. At drop in today I noticed some pain in my hands after just some basic snap shots during warm up. I've started noticeably feeling vibrations in my hands recently, especially when hitting slappers. I've been picking up my playing to 3x a week so that might be some sort of a factor. I'm currently playing with a Sher-wood 9950 wooden stick.

I noticed some composite one pieces mention vibration reducing technology, does it make a big impact on how you feel the puck?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Borrow someone's stick and take a few shots with it. Should be able to tell whether it's the stick pretty easily. It's most likely technique though.

schzim
May 24, 2006
tl;dr
Played today, hands felt fine but was playing down a league so didn't take a serious shot ever.

How do you guys tend to defend the 2 on 2 rush? My team has a serious problem with playing this situation. Trying to angle the puck carrier outside and then having the other dman in the passing lane seems okay, but we have a lot of trouble executing this, primarily I think because of difficulty our D guys (often myself) have in staying with the puck carrier and also closing the distance at the same time without getting turned into pylons. Any tips?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
The guy on the puck carrier does indeed need to be forcing him wide, but at some point the defender needs to step up and challenge the puck carrier to make a move, whether that's with the puck by himself, taking a bad shot or trying to pass through both you and your teammate. At some point a third player is going to join the rush and you don't want them to have all the time in the world when you've got an even strength rush. If it's an odd man rush delaying them to give your guys time to catch up is smart enough damage control, but if it's 2v2 I'd challenge sooner rather than later.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I like these for honing my elite goaltender skills.

"Wanna go out?"

My girlfriend just upgraded into someone who plays hockey. It is very awesome indeed. Actually getting her out of bed in the mornings to get to stick time is a different story though...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^ I will refrain from commenting on this supposed "problem."

Unrelated, loving Hockey Tron. I ordered my tinted visor and just received a slip from the post office saying I owe an additional $10 postage fee. gently caress you guys, I already paid $9 for shipping a piece of douchey plastic!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 24, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hahahah wow. 19 dollars in postage on a 25 dollar item. I'd raise some hell.

youwantsomewang
Sep 2, 2004

I was loaned a helmet camera early last year and I got about 10 hours of footage from our beer league and Friday night social games. I'm going through the footage slowly and weeding out some of the more interesting moments and putting them on YouTube.

Here's a video I'm fond of that was a pretty great view of a tipped shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Luhxz4Kh8

If you guys these, great! If not no big deal. Note, my friend is wearing the camera during this video. I'm in the video but I'm on the left side wearing the red Ottawa Senators jersey.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I was kind of bitching about it in IRC but I had no idea until a few days ago that UPS reuses tracking numbers.

It shows the following in the tracking logs on my phone (I live in Cleveland):

Tracking Details
In Transit: On Time

Delivered to:
ATHENS, AL, US

Delivered on:
09/05/2012 11:45 A.M.

Package Progress:

Ontario, CA, US
01/22/2013 9:36 P.M.
Departure Scan

01/22/2013 2:02 P.M.
Origin Scan

Decatur, AL, US
09/05/2012 11:45 A.M.
Package was driver released

US
01/22/2013 9:01 P.M.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is another post about the curative properties of hockey.

Around lunch yesterday I started getting a sore throat and that tired feeling that means you're getting sick. I went to hockey anyways.. I really wasn't in the mood for it, but it's motherfucking hockey. Wasn't my best skate ever and I kept cheating on drills, but I was out there and made some decent plays.

Get up this morning and I don't feel sick at all. Puny viruses ain't got nothing on hockey. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've noticed that too, when I go skate and sweat it really seems to work in either preventing getting sick or pushing whatever it is out.

I was on the bench during drop in with a guy that poo poo himself (while on the bench). First came the sound and then the smell and the look on his face was the final indicator. He skated across the ice very slowly back to the locker room. Apparently hockey doesn't cure stomach flu.