Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

So Biscuit got stuck in his old hammock for about 2 hours. He had apparently chewed a hole into it, climbed into the hole, and gotten stuck. When I got him out, the first thing he did was try to get back in the hammock. :downs: I had to take it down and he spent the next half hour sprinting from the bottom of the cage to the top looking for it.
Rats. Why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

The same reason my girls have ripped the roof off of their house AGAIN.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I may not bother making replacement hammocks, they've basically decided to sleep huddled up on top of their house now, except Joker who made a little pile of fleece strips right up against the door and sleeps in it, sometimes with his tail hanging out through the bars.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Omg guys how awesome is this. It's over $200 and I don't have space for it because it's HUGE and I don't think it even ships to NA, but goddamn I want it. It's a giant rat clubhouse :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I would get that a put it on a tarp and place caging all around it and it would be my new rathouse. That is amazing and I want it. Where is it available at?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Pew! Pew! posted:

I would get that a put it on a tarp and place caging all around it and it would be my new rathouse. That is amazing and I want it. Where is it available at?

Here and here and here. I don't think any of those places ship to NA, but if you had a friend in the UK... I figure set it up inside some Grrreat Wall and you're golden.

There's also this one (both of the pictures click through to the manufacturer's website):

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Ughh my breeder just texted me a pic of her latest litter with some super cute cins and merles just look at them. I've basically come to the conclusion that I want the CN second level and two baby boys. But all in that's pricey enough that it's not going to happen this month. Aren't any rexes or dumbos in the litter either. Plus, Liza's still truckin' away!

e: some Liza pics

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 13, 2013

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Send me all those babies. ALL OF THEM. I will snuggle them forever.

Snow outside means the girls got introduced to it for the first time. Everyone has had a snuffle and nibble at it. Silly rats.

They're still eating the snow now :rolleyes:

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

They ripped the roof off of the house again. They are incredibly unapologetic.

In fact, it appears not a single gently caress was given that day. :3:

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Your one rat looks just like a mini possum! :3:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Hey guys. We've come down with a case of fleas, and due to Sydney's insanely hot humid weather lately, they're proving really stubborn. The rats haven't been affected, never seen a Flea on them, and the cats are being dilligently treated, but its the carpet thats the major problem.

I'm thinking about flea bombing the house. Anyone do this? How long do you keep the rats out for (obviously I wont keep them in the house while its being done!)? What's safe for the cats might not be safe for the ratters, so I thought I'd ask if any of you have experience doing this.

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009

Big Bug Hug posted:

Hey guys. We've come down with a case of fleas, and due to Sydney's insanely hot humid weather lately, they're proving really stubborn. The rats haven't been affected, never seen a Flea on them, and the cats are being dilligently treated, but its the carpet thats the major problem.

I'm thinking about flea bombing the house. Anyone do this? How long do you keep the rats out for (obviously I wont keep them in the house while its being done!)? What's safe for the cats might not be safe for the ratters, so I thought I'd ask if any of you have experience doing this.

When we first moved into our apartment we had a flea problem. We bought a 3pack of foggers and put one in each room. What we did was have all the doors inside the place open but have the windows closed. Then we put each fogger upright on a large piece of cardboard because they will leak when it get to the end. Place them in the very centers of each room and set them off starting with the furthest room. When the last one is set you HAVE to leave, so I would do it before work or school and don't come back for about 8-10 hours. When you come home, open up all the windows to air the place out. You will probably see a bunch a dead flea bodies all over the counters and tables, so you'll have to vacuum and windex everything, but it'll be safe for you guys. The pets, however, I would recommend having them stay overnight at a friends place or hotel or something, the air might make them sick. I would use foggers only if you know for sure you have an infestation, which it looks like you guys do. If you're just trying to prevent fleas, dust the carpet with flea deodorizer for the carpet and the windows with flea spray. That should be just fine. Good luck!

ninja edit: I've also affixed a bird cage protector disk to my girls' cage in the past for mites and fleas. You could try that too.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I need to figure out how to get good rat pics with my new camera :saddowns:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Mongoloid Joe posted:

When we first moved into our apartment we had a flea problem. We bought a 3pack of foggers and put one in each room. What we did was have all the doors inside the place open but have the windows closed. Then we put each fogger upright on a large piece of cardboard because they will leak when it get to the end. Place them in the very centers of each room and set them off starting with the furthest room. When the last one is set you HAVE to leave, so I would do it before work or school and don't come back for about 8-10 hours. When you come home, open up all the windows to air the place out. You will probably see a bunch a dead flea bodies all over the counters and tables, so you'll have to vacuum and windex everything, but it'll be safe for you guys. The pets, however, I would recommend having them stay overnight at a friends place or hotel or something, the air might make them sick. I would use foggers only if you know for sure you have an infestation, which it looks like you guys do. If you're just trying to prevent fleas, dust the carpet with flea deodorizer for the carpet and the windows with flea spray. That should be just fine. Good luck!

ninja edit: I've also affixed a bird cage protector disk to my girls' cage in the past for mites and fleas. You could try that too.

Thanks, I've used bombs before but I was mainly wondering how long to keep the rats away - I think overnight should do it, too. :)

Faclon
Aug 24, 2009
Hey everyone, I'm a first time rat owner and I had some questions for all of you. I recently (kinda, it was about 3 months ago) got 2 rats. I'm a first year vet student and wanted a low maintenance pet that I could of course play with, was friendly, smart, etc. so rats seemed like a great choice (and I'm so happy with them). A question regarding their teeth: Will they eventually have to be manually ground down or should it be fine if I provide them with material to chew (toys, wooden blocks for rodents, etc) and just make sure to check on them every once in a while.

Second question: What is the consensus on getting female rats spayed? Coming from a veterinary background I'm told that not spaying female rats leads to a much greater risk of mammary cancer. If they were dogs I would advocate it but I'm on the fence about rats. I don't want to put them through surgery for something that probably won't extend their lives since they are already prone to various types of cancer. I'm not sure though and am definitely looking forward to everyone's thoughts/experiences.

Last question: One of my rats, Hera, will leave little pee droplets when she walks over my hand. She only does it to me, only on my hand and this is the only time she will pee outside her cage (I let them run around my room supervised). Is this a normal rat thing?

Thanks!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Faclon posted:

Hey everyone, I'm a first time rat owner and I had some questions for all of you. I recently (kinda, it was about 3 months ago) got 2 rats. I'm a first year vet student and wanted a low maintenance pet that I could of course play with, was friendly, smart, etc. so rats seemed like a great choice (and I'm so happy with them). A question regarding their teeth: Will they eventually have to be manually ground down or should it be fine if I provide them with material to chew (toys, wooden blocks for rodents, etc) and just make sure to check on them every once in a while.

Second question: What is the consensus on getting female rats spayed? Coming from a veterinary background I'm told that not spaying female rats leads to a much greater risk of mammary cancer. If they were dogs I would advocate it but I'm on the fence about rats. I don't want to put them through surgery for something that probably won't extend their lives since they are already prone to various types of cancer. I'm not sure though and am definitely looking forward to everyone's thoughts/experiences.

Last question: One of my rats, Hera, will leave little pee droplets when she walks over my hand. She only does it to me, only on my hand and this is the only time she will pee outside her cage (I let them run around my room supervised). Is this a normal rat thing?

Thanks!

1. You shouldn't have to trim their teeth unless they have another issue going on. I would give them things to chew, definitely – mine have never much cared for wood toys (though this went over like absolutely gangbusters), so I generally buy them a beef knuckle every 8 months or so, and give them leftover bones from meals occasionally.

2. Spaying rats is hugely beneficial. It cuts down the risk of getting mammary tumors from ~50% to ~1%, and those are the most common type. Surgery is a risk, however, and I wouldn't do a spay on a female older than a year old. If yours are about 4 months, I'd definitely consider it. However, it can be very expensive. My vet, who is definitely on the pricey side, quoted me about $500, it could be as low as only a couple hundred depending on where you live.

3. Yes.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Faclon posted:

Thanks!

I think she likes you and is marking you as her territory. Mine do it too, I just wash up after handling them.

Faclon
Aug 24, 2009
Thanks for the quick replies. Cornell would give me a discount in addition to waiving the exam fee however is still it is a few hundred per rat which kinda stinks.

All brown one is Hera and the White/Brown one is Athena

I wish I could have gotten this pic without the bars in the way.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Just put in an order for the CN add-on and texted my breeder. You guys are such a bad influence :mad:

...baby boys :3: :3: :3:

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

I'm pretty sure there is nothing cuter than a sleepy, comfortable rat. Bonus points if they are in a hammock or buried up to their neck in bedding.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLC386VEfMs

This guy is also probably the most affectionate rat I've ever owned. I didn't even know rats could display affection the way dogs do until this guy - he will come up to me and lay his head on me, waiting to be scratched behind the ears, just like my neighbor's dog. He also will squeak in an audible pitch as if to say 'that's the spot' when I'm scratching him. What really makes him stand out as affectionate is that he will actively press his body against me when I'm relaxing on the couch or my bed, a bit like how dogs often do. Other rats I've owned were more keen to explore, but this guy seems to just dig spending time with me.

When he's on my very soft bed he'll also sometimes get sleepy because it's so comfy, and then go into 'rat flatfish' mode - where he will flatten his body down and rest for a bit, seeming to really enjoy the soft bed surface. Then he'll get up and waddle a few steps away, and lay flat again, enjoying the bed. After a while of doing this he either nuzzles up to me for petting or falls asleep.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 21, 2013

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Spacedad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLC386VEfMs

This guy is also probably the most affectionate rat I've ever owned. I didn't even know rats could display affection the way dogs do until this guy - he will come up to me and lay his head on me, waiting to be scratched behind the ears, just like my neighbor's dog. He also will squeak in an audible pitch as if to say 'that's the spot' when I'm scratching him. What really makes him stand out as affectionate is that he will actively press his body against me when I'm relaxing on the couch or my bed, a bit like how dogs often do. Other rats I've owned were more keen to explore, but this guy seems to just dig spending time with me.

When he's on my very soft bed he'll also sometimes get sleepy because it's so comfy, and then go into 'rat flatfish' mode - where he will flatten his body down and rest for a bit, seeming to really enjoy the soft bed surface. Then he'll get up and waddle a few steps away, and lay flat again, enjoying the bed. After a while of doing this he either nuzzles up to me for petting or falls asleep.

Aww. He's adorable!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh my god, guys.

We had the most ridiculous, stupid accident today. I was carrying a teapot and the handle spontaneously detached and the pot fell on Ada, who was free-roaming. My teapot broke in my hands for no apparent reason and the pieces fell on a rat who was unlucky enough to be right there underneath. And she's tiny, three and half months? Christ.

She's got a bloody, swollen back foot now. Got into the vet pretty promptly, and the prognosis is that her foot may or may not be broken, but she's so small there's no point in splinting it, and it's the sort of thing that heals pretty well anyway, so Ada's got some preventative baytril and some painkillers. And the orders to be in a cage lined with paper towels rather than regular bedding to keep her foot clean, for about a week.

I'm torn between feeling like the worst ratlady ever and being kind of :psyduck: about how it happened.

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 21, 2013

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

RoboRodent posted:

I'm torn between feeling like the worst ratlady ever and being kind of :psyduck: about how it happened.

Holy poo poo that sucks. :gonk: I'm glad she wasn't squished though!

Rat pixxxxx

Moxxi

Alice

Pandora

Valentine

Chell

My pretty girls :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

A friend of mine lost one of her rats today at age 3 years 4 months. It's still very sad of course, but mostly I was astonished at the number. That is a pretty darned old rat!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Fraction posted:

Rat pixxxxx :3

I love Pandora's subtle markings and dumbo ears. A very cute bunch of ratties.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Delta-Wye posted:

I love Pandora's subtle markings and dumbo ears. A very cute bunch of ratties.

Thank you :3: Pandora's faded out quite a lot, actually. I was kind of hoping she'd moult out to pretty much BEW but alas, doesn't seem like she's going to.

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake
Rat rage! Had to post somewhere people would understand. Just came home to find I must have hung my nice new wool-cashmere winter coat up too close to the rat cage (they live in the hall, by the coat-rack) and they've ripped a corner of it off! My nice coat! I'm an idiot and it's not their fault but I'm so frustrated right now. Have moved rat cage significantly further away from the coat rack and rescued the purloined strip of winter coat which is no doubt unsalvageable but damned if they're going to enjoy their ill-gotten gains.

Up til this point my rats have never destroyed anything of worth. Little buggers. What have your rats destroyed?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Chakattack! posted:

Rat rage! Had to post somewhere people would understand. Just came home to find I must have hung my nice new wool-cashmere winter coat up too close to the rat cage (they live in the hall, by the coat-rack) and they've ripped a corner of it off! My nice coat! I'm an idiot and it's not their fault but I'm so frustrated right now. Have moved rat cage significantly further away from the coat rack and rescued the purloined strip of winter coat which is no doubt unsalvageable but damned if they're going to enjoy their ill-gotten gains.

Up til this point my rats have never destroyed anything of worth. Little buggers. What have your rats destroyed?

When I lived at home, the cage was pushed a little too close to a leather couch and they tore a chunk out of it. Thankfully my mom didn't like it that much anyway...

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Chakattack! posted:

Camera cords. Wires and cables. M:tG cards. Homework, no, seriously. Good thing I could print another copy because I seriously doubt "my rats ate my homework" would go over well...

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The foam mattress topper on my bed is admittedlymissing some chunks.

Ada's foot is signiciantly less huge and purple this morning, and she wants to run everywhere like a crazy zoomy thing. No, babe, you gotta take it easy.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Had a cage too close to my curtains one time. Pulled the whole drat thing down and destroyed the poo poo out of it. ~girl rats~

Sprocket would never dream of chewing up my stuff. Only peeing on it

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

The only thing my rats have destroyed is the cat tree in their cage (f u Pandora :mad:)

One of my friends commented today on how pretty/colourful my rat gang is. Felt totally proud to be ratladying it up.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Super I swear to god post the new thread or i will cut you

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
Any fabric based material that happens to be in reach of my rats will always be ripped apart within an hour. They've gone through towels, blankets, cords, and my jacket which happened to be next to their travel cage at the time. My memory foam pillow became a victim too, but luckily there's only small chunks missing and not so much a big deal.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Tee shirts, a futon, blankets, bed covers

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Garrus managed to grab hold of the foot of my stuffed Kermit the Frog and drag it into the cage, until the body of the doll stopped him from making any more progress. Thankfully I noticed before he did any damage. He was VERY disgruntled when I took it away.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Okay rat thread AHEM FRACTION I am very very likely getting some of these rats soon:

The blazed one in the middle and one of the other two – she says they are merles but they don't super look it from this angle? I trust her though! But omg blazed boy.

edit: soon apparently means FRIDAY. The breeder's been super nice – texts back really promptly, sent me tons of pics, etc. So excited :3:

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 23, 2013

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:haw: :neckbeard:

Oh my god get the rats get the ratssssss nowwww

When are you setting up the CN? :3:

e: Agreed that they don't look merle, which is weird. And I want the left and middle boys in the first pic, omg.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Invalid Octopus posted:

Okay rat thread AHEM FRACTION I am very very likely getting some of these rats soon:

The one on the left looks like he should be in Sailor Moon.