Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

nzspambot posted:

Does anyone have any info on the 3850 Catalyst Switches yet?
The most info I've seen so far is here:

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2013-January/088884.html

And you can view the images on Cisco's download page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anyone know a creative way to allow traffic to pass between a ZBF member and a non-member?

Have an interface as a zone-member security and I can't convert the other interface to ZBF at the moment. Taking the ZBF off isn't an option.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

falz posted:

Yep that's what piqued my intrest

bloody NDAs

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

falz posted:

So it's a single RU switch running IOX? I assume Class4 PoE, stacking, and probably the same ASICs used in the new 4500 linecards. Seems cool.

Probably a similiar form factor to the 2960S too. (52 ports, console on the front etc.)

Got a link to the image?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I tried to move my 8.4 ASAs into production.

Tried.

:saddowns:

I don't know why the ASAs are such obstinate beasts.

ICMP was fine. UDP was fine. TCP synacks were being lost, somewhere, mysteriously.

Screw you ASAs!

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

nzspambot posted:

Yep that's what piqued my intrest

bloody NDAs

1U 48P switch with WLC built in, cray cray.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

jwh posted:

Tried.

ICMP was fine. UDP was fine. TCP synacks were being lost, somewhere, mysteriously.

Screw you ASAs!
I ran in to a similar or same issue with a customer's network last week. Consulting company designed it but not well thought it. Traffic flow was such that traffic from remote sites came from a managed MPLS network, SYN would hit the host but the reply would hit the gw, which was the ASA. It naturally dropped it since it's stateful.

Had to do this fucker to fix:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080b2d922.shtml

+ disable a bunch of inspect poo poo for UDP to work.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

falz posted:

I ran in to a similar or same issue with a customer's network last week. Consulting company designed it but not well thought it. Traffic flow was such that traffic from remote sites came from a managed MPLS network, SYN would hit the host but the reply would hit the gw, which was the ASA. It naturally dropped it since it's stateful.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080b2d922.shtml

That's kind of an interesting scenario. How did you figure out that you had to configure it this way? I run into a lot of weird design poo poo working for a MSP but I can't say I've seen that one in the past.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

falz posted:

You had an asymmetric routing issue and your response was to disable TCP state checking on the customers firewall? :stare: Why not just fix the routing problem?

jwh posted:

Tried.

Screw you ASAs!

Nothin' in the logs I presume?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

abigserve posted:

You had an asymmetric routing issue and your response was to disable TCP state checking on the customers firewall? :stare: Why not just fix the routing problem?

Wondering this as well.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

Consulting: If you aren't part of the solution, there is a lot of money to be made by prolonging the problem.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Anyone have any experience with ASR9K1?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

doomisland posted:

Anyone have any experience with ASR9K1?

9001? Should be similar to a 9000 running an RSP440 and SE line cards capability wise. I have a couple of 9010s running the old RSPs in one of our DCs. What're you trying to do?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

ragzilla posted:

9001? Should be similar to a 9000 running an RSP440 and SE line cards capability wise. I have a couple of 9010s running the old RSPs in one of our DCs. What're you trying to do?

Router on our edge that would be taking in at least 4 full BGP tables, probably at least a few more in the future. A 10g here and there and at least 10 1g SFP ports. It seemed of the models Cisco has it would be able to handle it and is in a small form factor.

edit: I should note I'm more familiar with Juniper than Cisco so it would be something equal to a MX80 at least.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

doomisland posted:

Router on our edge that would be taking in at least 4 full BGP tables, probably at least a few more in the future. A 10g here and there and at least 10 1g SFP ports. It seemed of the models Cisco has it would be able to handle it and is in a small form factor.

edit: I should note I'm more familiar with Juniper than Cisco so it would be something equal to a MX80 at least.

Looks pretty drat similar to an MX80 in terms of ports (4 onboard sfp+/xfp, 2 modular cards taking 20x1G/2x10G/4x10G/1x40G) and featureset. The 9001 also supports Cisco's nV Edge clustering if that's appealing (MLACP etc on a clustered router pair similar to VSS or Juniper VC)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

abigserve posted:

In this case a cisco partner/"professional" consulting firm sold a bunch stuff (2901, ASA5512X) to a customer of theirs but have no idea how to configure it or properly design anything. This customer of theirs had a contract with a different managed firewall which ended that week and they were going to pull everything out. They contacted us the day before it all had to go in to production because they know they couldn't get it to work themselves.

The gist of the conference call a few hours before the work was "hey could you configure a few IOS routers? thanks. They then snuck in "Oh can you look at this ASA firewall config we whipped up? We think it's right!" at the end of the conference call. Oh and "That's only about an hour of consulting work, right?" Then we got to see the config and how everything as really set up the night that they swapped it all in. Greeaat.

Part of their client's network is AT&T managed L3 MPLS network with routers that were out of everyone's control, especially on such a short timeline. Packet flow was:

Remote site-> att router-> host
host-> ASA (default gw) -> att router-> remote site

Yes, the ASA logged dropped return packets since it never saw the first one if coming from a remote site. Traffic from the site with the ASA worked fine since it was the default and had 'same-security-traffic permit intra-interface' enabled.

The better way to do it would have been to put an ASA interface towards the MPLS network, but it is on the same /24 as the rest of their office and this would have meant to renumber an office of servers, workstations, etc. Or figure out some NAT fuckery, but gently caress that.

It's definitely dumb and I would not design a network like this. What's even more fun is they want to do all sorts of policy based routing and it's going to be a disaster. We told them we didn't want to help at all but they basically forced us to at least get something working.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

falz posted:

In this case a cisco partner/"professional" consulting firm sold a bunch stuff (2901, ASA5512X) to a customer of theirs but have no idea how to configure it or properly design anything. This customer of theirs had a contract with a different managed firewall which ended that week and they were going to pull everything out. They contacted us the day before it all had to go in to production because they know they couldn't get it to work themselves.

The gist of the conference call a few hours before the work was "hey could you configure a few IOS routers? thanks. They then snuck in "Oh can you look at this ASA firewall config we whipped up? We think it's right!" at the end of the conference call. Oh and "That's only about an hour of consulting work, right?" Then we got to see the config and how everything as really set up the night that they swapped it all in. Greeaat.

Part of their client's network is AT&T managed L3 MPLS network with routers that were out of everyone's control, especially on such a short timeline. Packet flow was:

Remote site-> att router-> host
host-> ASA (default gw) -> att router-> remote site

Yes, the ASA logged dropped return packets since it never saw the first one if coming from a remote site. Traffic from the site with the ASA worked fine since it was the default and had 'same-security-traffic permit intra-interface' enabled.

The better way to do it would have been to put an ASA interface towards the MPLS network, but it is on the same /24 as the rest of their office and this would have meant to renumber an office of servers, workstations, etc. Or figure out some NAT fuckery, but gently caress that.

It's definitely dumb and I would not design a network like this. What's even more fun is they want to do all sorts of policy based routing and it's going to be a disaster. We told them we didn't want to help at all but they basically forced us to at least get something working.

So from what you're saying, the AT&T routers have two routes to the same destination network, one through the ASA and one not through the ASA, and their preferred route is the one without the ASA in the way? Why is the other route even there?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
If a serial multilink group does not have the clock source specific on the multilink this indicates that it is sourcing the clock from the line, correct?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

If a serial multilink group does not have the clock source specific on the multilink this indicates that it is sourcing the clock from the line, correct?

Correct. If you don't specify clock source, the default is line

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/inter/command/reference/irfthw1.html#wp1131668

quote:

clock source

To configure the clock source of a DS1 link, enter the clock source command in interface configuration or ATM interface configuration mode. To restore the default line setting, use the no form of this command.

clock source {line | internal | loop-timed}

no clock source

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 23, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

abigserve posted:

Nothing useful. Syn timeouts, which is understandable, since the box never saw the synack.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The multilink itself doesn't have a clock source, however the underlying T1s need to have one end or the other supplying clock or they'll slip.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Ok so I got the vlans built on my 2960s and I set the system jumbo mtu 9000 command on all the switches and I reloaded them all. I went to test my config and I did an extended ping from one switch to another using 1700 for the size and I set the df bit so I would have no fragmentation. I am getting no communication. Where do I go from here?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Syano posted:

Ok so I got the vlans built on my 2960s and I set the system jumbo mtu 9000 command on all the switches and I reloaded them all. I went to test my config and I did an extended ping from one switch to another using 1700 for the size and I set the df bit so I would have no fragmentation. I am getting no communication. Where do I go from here?

Did you raise the MTU of the layer3 interface you were pinging from?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

ior posted:

Did you raise the MTU of the layer3 interface you were pinging from?

Ok I just did a show vlan mtu and it shows the svi_mtu as 1500. I am assuming that explains it right there?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Syano posted:

Ok I just did a show vlan mtu and it shows the svi_mtu as 1500. I am assuming that explains it right there?

Yup, unfortunately it is quite likely that you wont be able to up the L3 SVI mtu on that switch, however that wont affect your traffic running through the box, only the test you are attempting now.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

ior posted:

Yup, unfortunately it is quite likely that you wont be able to up the L3 SVI mtu on that switch, however that wont affect your traffic running through the box, only the test you are attempting now.

Been pulling my hair out for a while over this. Thanks. I guess tomorrow I can hook up a couple hosts and just ping across to make sure it works

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Syano posted:

You may be able to "ip mtu" up to 1998 (max size accepted by the CPU)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

abigserve posted:

So from what you're saying, the AT&T routers have two routes to the same destination network, one through the ASA and one not through the ASA, and their preferred route is the one without the ASA in the way? Why is the other route even there?
The ATT routers at minimum have routes between sites, each site is a /24. Other than that, who knows. I doubt they had a default out the ASA. My assumption is that they have routes between themselves and that's it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Syano posted:

Always test THROUGH networking equipment, not TO the equipment. Remember there is a significant difference between the control plane and the forwarding plane, even older stuff handled traffic destined for the router much different than traffic being routed by it. This will only get more defined as SDN gains more traction.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Speaking of SDN, has anyone had any chance to play with openflow yet? I've got an OF capable switch...and a controller...but I'm sorta stuck on how to progress with it (if it's even worthwhile?)

I've heard OpenFlow is going to be the next wave of networking but a lot of it seems to be rumblings from software people who have no idea what problems they are out to solve.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

abigserve posted:

Speaking of SDN, has anyone had any chance to play with openflow yet? I've got an OF capable switch...and a controller...but I'm sorta stuck on how to progress with it (if it's even worthwhile?)

I've heard OpenFlow is going to be the next wave of networking but a lot of it seems to be rumblings from software people who have no idea what problems they are out to solve.

Openflow is something I'm probably going to end up having to work a lot on this year, but so far I've been too neglectful/busy to get involved with it yet. Similarly, I might end up at Nicira all next week...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I haven't gotten to touch anything SDN or Openflow related. I'd love to, but I don't even know what products have that stuff or how I'd use it.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Always test THROUGH networking equipment, not TO the equipment. Remember there is a significant difference between the control plane and the forwarding plane, even older stuff handled traffic destined for the router much different than traffic being routed by it. This will only get more defined as SDN gains more traction.

I actually did not know this. Yesterday was the first time in my life that I actually realized that the switches did not pass any forwarding traffic through the cpu. I am one of the million jack of all trade admins who is not really an expert at anything so I guess I never had to know. I guess it all makes sense now though when I think about it. I am embarrassed that I didnt know. I actually have my CCNA that I just passed at the end of 2011 (by 2 points :cripes: )

EDIT: If anyone is interested in the plight of my dumbness... I had another problem as well: I was pinging across the switches this morning and still couldnt get it to work. Started to get upset. Then all of the sudden I realized I hadnt enabled jumbo on the laptops. Even further stupidity I soon realized that one of the laptops I was using did not even support jumbo. I am a moron and I should go die.

Syano fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 24, 2013

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

I haven't gotten to touch anything SDN or Openflow related. I'd love to, but I don't even know what products have that stuff or how I'd use it.

Brocade and HP are pretty much the only 2 vendors making commercial Openflow hardware AFAIK. Seems like the best use I've seen so far is when you have multiple datacenters and need to schedule bulk transfers (transfer agent requests a path between 2 DCs from your Openflow control plane which provisions an MPLS LSP based on bandwidth availability/cost)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

There's also stuff like this:

http://www.pica8.org/documents/pica8-product-quick-reference-guide-dec2012-d.pdf

I got a quote last year for some lab testing last year, seemed reasonably priced.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!
NEC has some switches too: https://www.necam.com/SDN/

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I hear about SDN mostly from virtualization folks who are excited about not having to build big stretched layer2 networks. Is that what is driving it? What other applications does it have?

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

falz posted:

I had a quick look at the images available to download for the 3850s.

200+MB images for an access switch :stare:

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

chestnut santabag posted:

I had a quick look at the images available to download for the 3850s.

200+MB images for an access switch :stare:

Cisco IOS images: the new HP printer drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

ragzilla posted:

Brocade and HP are pretty much the only 2 vendors making commercial Openflow hardware AFAIK. Seems like the best use I've seen so far is when you have multiple datacenters and need to schedule bulk transfers (transfer agent requests a path between 2 DCs from your Openflow control plane which provisions an MPLS LSP based on bandwidth availability/cost)

A lot of the solutions you hear about that are implemented using Openflow are build on top of MPLS.

The main use of Openflow that I can see is policy-based routing on steroids. There are other uses though, like using it to do true packet-by-packet load-balancing within a port-channel.

Will it survive without vendor backing is the question. It's already in use within Google, but google have a huge team of engineers whose job description probably goes "do whatever you want, for however long it takes. Your budget is infinity money."