Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Dolash posted:

I can get not liking it when played straight, but what's wrong with a deconstruction of it? It's a persona actual people try to adopt, and the comic uses the characters of Dave and Dirk to examine the sort of issues these fronts usually hide.

Because I find the archetype unpalatable, I find those that would idolize it to the point of imitating it similarly unpalatable. I sort of feel like Dave should poo poo or get off the pot, and while he'd shown signs of doing just that just prior to the scratch, all his appearances since then confirm that it's just the same ol' same ol'.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Dave, I just find most of the rest of the active cast more compelling at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I'm mounting everything on cardstock in preparation to cut them out and make fridge magnets.:toot:
It's been snowing all day so I'm kind of homestuck myself.

I can't wait to do this all over again when our snoutpak comes in. :geno:

... this is a fantastic idea. Thanks!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Plom Bar posted:

Because I find the archetype unpalatable, I find those that would idolize it to the point of imitating it similarly unpalatable. I sort of feel like Dave should poo poo or get off the pot, and while he'd shown signs of doing just that just prior to the scratch, all his appearances since then confirm that it's just the same ol' same ol'.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Dave, I just find most of the rest of the active cast more compelling at this point.

I'd disagree strongly with the notion that Dave is the "same old same old" cool guy archetype. Dave has, since having been robbed of the barrier of computers, been shown for what he is more and more in his interactions with people face to face: A sort of awkward dork. I mean that in the best possible way, but he really is. He is not a cool kid. He's a daydreaming dork.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Plom Bar posted:

Did you try having conversations with Dave during Meenahquest? It really showcases how much differently he acts in face-to-face conversation. He still acts pretty disinterested, but instead of speaking in short disconnected thoughts he expounds greatly on whatever he thinks about, to the point of boring Rose. He's also shown to be growing tired of the things he raps about with a lack of new material. I think that he's close to growing out of this coolguy shtick somewhat.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
So I was reading Problem Sleuth again and I found a funny coincidence/connection

Pickle Inspector, the main Imagination user has a Suckle Amphora for use in his Comb Raves which connects him inadvertandly to two Hope players later on also named after Aquarius

Just something to chew on between updates.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ariong posted:

Did you try having conversations with Dave during Meenahquest? It really showcases how much differently he acts in face-to-face conversation. He still acts pretty disinterested, but instead of speaking in short disconnected thoughts he expounds greatly on whatever he thinks about, to the point of boring Rose. He's also shown to be growing tired of the things he raps about with a lack of new material. I think that he's close to growing out of this coolguy shtick somewhat.

Dave has certainly changed over the course of his journey on the Makeout Meteor. It's not that he rambles more, but that he's more willing to expose his true feelings in the process. Hiding his emotions behind an unflappable veil of irony maybe doesn't seem as important to him now that he's not living with an extremely reserved person against whom he constantly judges himself. Those daily, humiliatingly one-sided swordfights were almost definitely not helping.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
^^^ Also, that.

Plom Bar posted:

while he'd shown signs of doing just that just prior to the scratch, all his appearances since then confirm that it's just the same ol' same ol'.

But all his post-Scratch stuff has been nothing but that facade just crumbling like crazy. :psyduck:

Cool kids don't stand around mumbling to coffee makers.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Dave Strider, mumblecore to the core.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I thought we all agreed that Dave had been rendered obsolete by Dirk, like one of those sitcom characters that die in a bus crash and get replaced by their hip-hop cousin.

Also, Koos is growing on me. He's always here for us, even when we don't want him to be. Bless you, Koos.

Bloos.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dorroile posted:

I thought we all agreed that Dave had been rendered obsolete by Dirk, like one of those sitcom characters that die in a bus crash and get replaced by their hip-hop cousin.

Also, Koos is growing on me. He's always here for us, even when we don't want him to be. Bless you, Koos.

Bloos.

We all understand that you like Dirk, but I'm not sure that you're quite seeing his flaws for what they are.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
When did we ever agree that Dave was obsolete for anything

I certainly was never invited to that meeting

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Dirk's flaws:
- Has only one sword (source needed)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dorroile posted:

Dirk's flaws:
- Has only one sword (source needed)

- Hates himself vehemently
- Has yet to discover how to have awesome hair while wearing a hat, like Bro (may be related to previous point)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
- Crippling dependence issues, masks this by trying to be in control of the situation at all times, strongly contributes to that second one

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Yet to rap about B-Rock Obama.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Ablative posted:

That raises another good point though: what happens if the Wall is in his sylladex when they go through it?

Do they get trapped in the sylladex? Do they get forced out of it in the same manner as anything else that doesn't fit?

Considering Casey the Salamander can become an inventory item and come out just fine, it shouldn't be a problem for the battleship to wind up in a captcha card adjacent to the Wall's card in Jake's sylladex.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think Koos is fantastic, like an angel.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I love it when Koos posts because he's like everything I hate about Homestuck and people who like Homestuck rolled up into one neat little package. I just can't bring myself to hate him, and sometimes I wish when people ask me why I hate Homestuck fans despite being one that I could just point and say "because of Koos. Because we are all Koos."

Because as much as you might try to deny it there is a little Koos in all of us.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like you got a little Koos on you :heysexy:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Looks like you got a little Koos on you :heysexy:

Dude lets keep it PG in here

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Koos was in your heart all along.

He was already there.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Solaris Knight posted:

So I was reading Problem Sleuth again and I found a funny coincidence/connection

Pickle Inspector, the main Imagination user has a Suckle Amphora for use in his Comb Raves which connects him inadvertandly to two Hope players later on also named after Aquarius

Just something to chew on between updates.

Amphora is just a Greek jug.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Speaking of PS callbacks, I know I've said it before, but I've always thought it was neat how Jane's Persterchum handle was a callback to Problem Sleuth himself.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Luminous Obscurity posted:

^^^ Also, that.

But all his post-Scratch stuff has been nothing but that facade just crumbling like crazy. :psyduck:

Cool kids don't stand around mumbling to coffee makers.

He was always a rambler, though. One of his very first conversations with John was him typing out a whole thing while John was AFK.

I think the main change in Dave has been his willingness to admit he cares about people and their opinions.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Oh man, finally got my Alpha pin set today. Time to slap Mutini right on my coat.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

A bunch of y'all posted:

:words: about Dave
Alright, I'm convinced that maybe I wasn't giving Dave enough credit.

That said, I'm still generally up for more interactions with the others.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I tried to fight it, I really did.

Like, i know i'll get charged crazy customs fees. They even loving fee you for the shipping. I know it was a bad decision.

But I did it. I had to.

I only bought it with Hussie's signature, though. :shobon:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A funny PS callback would be Dirk's trickster mode being no different than his normal self, and the narration commenting on how lovely his imagination is.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

I'd love to see his trickster mode be Ace Dirk, as well.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Plom Bar posted:

Alright, I'm convinced that maybe I wasn't giving Dave enough credit.

That said, I'm still generally up for more interactions with the others.

That's the ticket. Just wanted to make sure you didn't think he was flat.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
It's gonna turn out that ARquius was right, and that Dirk literally CAN'T be happy. And he just short-circuits the entire Trickster thing, like when one bulb goes out in one of those christmas lights things.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

clockwork chaos posted:

Make it Fiesta Ace Dirk and I sign.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

clockwork chaos posted:

Dorroile posted:

It's gonna turn out that ARquius was right, and that Dirk literally CAN'T be happy. And he just short-circuits the entire Trickster thing, like when one bulb goes out in one of those christmas lights things.

You consume the trickster magic from your friends, Jake Jane and Roxy, finally transforming into one playful, crazy Dirk of unprecedented PULCHRITUDE.

A phenomenal transformation takes place.

You become...

My God.

YOU BECOME...

Dirk.

Really, you are just utterly astounded by how lovely your IMAGINATION is. If your IMAGINATION was a face you would punch it.

In the face.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

To be fair, the Draconian Dignitary already made that reference. Still, Fiesta Ace Dirk would make EVERYTHING better.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Got my tracking number on my 605 pledge package, incoming on Friday 1/25!

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

That's quite an update :stare:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Poor, sweet, dear Fefeta.

honk

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Update.

Poor, dear, sweet Fefeta :smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright that's one fewer abomination left. Now we just need Erisol to explode and these horrible mashups will be able to go back to living out their death in peace.

I'd wish the same fate on Arquius but I don't think that would be fair to AR since I don't know what would happen to him in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
No! Not poor, dear, sweet Fefeta! :cry:

Also I feel Dirk's break-up should have included a sassy fingersnap.