Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

UraniumAnchor posted:

Wind Waker falls into this category if you can stand listening to Mirrored for five hours.

would be better to just watch cosmo's WR run a couple weeks before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

mike89 and werster are back at the Sonic 3 and Knuckles co-op speedrun attempts: http://www.twitch.tv/werster

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Thanks for the streamlinks SN, I have a pretty cool list to follow on twitch now! Keep sending em my way.

AGDQ has really gotten me into these!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

mike89 and werster are back at the Sonic 3 and Knuckles co-op speedrun attempts: http://www.twitch.tv/werster

If you're reading this now you just missed a new WR apparently! It was really cool, too, even if I had no idea what was going on.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Tiki's been getting back into Mega Man X lately, and he's currently in shape to get a record at any time: http://www.twitch.tv/tiki77747

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Anyone have a timestamp for when they did Family Feud during the bonus stream?

It was 9.02pm GMT on the 14th, if that helps

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Polsy posted:

It was 9.02pm GMT on the 14th, if that helps
It does!
http://www.twitch.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=356833380&t=19h16m

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kyrosiris posted:

Given that he was a lying rear end in a top hat about the "oh I need to name my main character something specific for these glitches to work", I'm heavily disinclined to believe him.

(That and the casual racism/homophobia on his stream.)

None of this makes him a liar about what I reported (just a jerk for the latter, the former is a funny as hell way of getting it round Uyama's war on fun)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mfcrocker posted:

None of this makes him a liar about what I reported (just a jerk for the latter, the former is a funny as hell way of getting it round Uyama's war on fun)

You cannot be serious.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

I'm not quite sure if you're an extremely gullible idiot who just so happens to believe the stories that are going around or just acting like one to spread them more. In any case no one cares about how much you're trusting werster's word over these things. He hates Uyama despite not speaking a single word to him.

There is no such 'War on Fun', you do remember that Blueglass was originally called YSG to make fun of him right? That the 'ban' was put in place to try and stop him getting more crap. That it changed from people hating on him to liking him just didn't make it back to them. If anything this would be a War on Dickish Behaviour. Are you seriously complaining that a nickname was banned as people were making fun of the guy?

Uyama isn't the only guy calling shots at AGDQ, but you don't hear people complaining about Breakdown. Why is that? From what I can tell there's a bunch of people who don't like Mike and are spreading stories and attributing all the negative crap to him. But if you want to just continue thinking that it's really him being horrible and no one has stepped up to fix it go ahead, but don't spread stories when you have no clue about their accuracy.

:colbert:

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Guys, it's video games. Chillax.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Funkdoc is doing Batman attempts with Withhelde: http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The YSG thing makes sense, because it wasn't clear at all at first that people weren't just making fun of him, or that by the end of the event everyone would be embracing Blueglass as a hero of the people, so I get the staff erring in favor of his protection. What I do know though is that Mike was behind most of the 3-7 hour long chat embargoes, because that guy doesn't get how twitch works at all, and so I don't really blame people for thinking the guy hates fun.

It was bad having chat disabled for virtually half the final day and a four hour long FF closeout, but the worst example was from Flicky's DMC3 run, when Flicky was being his regular abrasive self, flaming donation comments for making stupid requests, etc. and so the tech guy had a go with him by loving with his mic channel to make him sound like some kind of Hell Witch. It was hilarious, which is a nice thing for a run that's otherwise not being taken very seriously, and chat explodes with laughter-- then Mike throws up another four hours of submode to shut that poo poo down.

Like at least you could make the excuse he was trying to 'protect' Mirrored_ who was being (rightfully) flamed to hell, but the guy doesn't understand basic humor, or hype.

Equilibrium fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 22, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Equilibrium posted:

The YSG thing makes sense, because it wasn't clear at all at first that people weren't just making fun of him, or that by the end of the event everyone would be embracing Blueglass as a hero of the people, so I get the staff erring in favor of his protection. What I do know though is that Mike was behind most of the 3-7 hour long chat embargoes, because that guy doesn't get how twitch works at all, and so I don't really blame people for thinking the guy hates fun.

They should have disabled twitch chat the entire time and put a small message in the stream directing viewers to the official chat.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

wa27 posted:

They should have disabled twitch chat the entire time and put a small message in the stream directing viewers to the official chat.

The official chat was a lovely echo chamber with overzealous mods.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Baron FU posted:

So, it was exactly the same as the Twitch chat?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

K8.0 posted:

I'm going back and watching archived stuff I missed from AGDQ. Is there a list anywhere of which speed runs are the ones that are glitchfest demolitions like DK64, Sonic 06, or either OOT run? Those and other runs where there's a lot of doing poo poo you aren't supposed to do (like Super Monkey Ball 1) are the runs I find really entertaining.

I got around to seeing it and Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the run you want to see. If you've seen other runs of the game it will still defy your expectations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

wa27 posted:

They pretty much did, though it wasn't that clear.

Baron FU posted:

So what did you get banned for?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

flatluigi posted:

So what did you get banned for?

Probably for saying anything that ssssssssskinner took any sort of offense to or didn't like in any way.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Baron FU posted:

The correct reply to this is "Again?". Endless chain of facepalms.

(Taking care of spam and dumb memes, trolls and shitstarters is perfectly fine but)

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Equilibrium posted:

Actually I don't think Mike really paid any attention to the Twitch chat situation or even had time to. Most of, if not all of the Sub Modes were instituted by ShadowWraith or maybe ssskinner, both of whom have absolutely zero tolerance for Twitch chat shenanigans, with no distinction between the harmless spammy fun and the actual hurtful stuff that sometimes gets thrown around in them.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Baron FU posted:

You are not supposed to talk in the chat, the mod might miss their right-click>ban and that's understandable since it's going so fast. Anything good you say might be taken as sarcasm too. Just enjoy the text wall or say WOAAAHHH during major skips.

The best thing to do is plan and throw a party for when runs your friends want to see will happen. Get some beers and people that like a certain block of games together. It's a good time.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Just as a note, we had our own #agdq that I believe was linked in the OP of the marathon thread and it was a pretty good time with like, two bannings at most.

Jakuvious
Mar 15, 2011

Stealth mode

zylche posted:

I'm not quite sure if you're an extremely gullible idiot who just so happens to believe the stories that are going around or just acting like one to spread them more. In any case no one cares about how much you're trusting werster's word over these things. He hates Uyama despite not speaking a single word to him.

There is no such 'War on Fun', you do remember that Blueglass was originally called YSG to make fun of him right? That the 'ban' was put in place to try and stop him getting more crap. That it changed from people hating on him to liking him just didn't make it back to them. If anything this would be a War on Dickish Behaviour. Are you seriously complaining that a nickname was banned as people were making fun of the guy?

Uyama isn't the only guy calling shots at AGDQ, but you don't hear people complaining about Breakdown. Why is that? From what I can tell there's a bunch of people who don't like Mike and are spreading stories and attributing all the negative crap to him. But if you want to just continue thinking that it's really him being horrible and no one has stepped up to fix it go ahead, but don't spread stories when you have no clue about their accuracy.

:colbert:

People go after Uyama because he's the one who is declared the organizer of AGDQ. He's the one who does the intro, the ending, etc. So he is essentially the face of the event. Personally, Breakdown pisses me off far more than Mike, but that's really neither here nor there.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Actually I don't think Mike really paid any attention to the Twitch chat situation or even had time to. Most of, if not all of the Sub Modes were instituted by ShadowWraith or maybe ssskinner, both of whom have absolutely zero tolerance for Twitch chat shenanigans, with no distinction between the harmless spammy fun and the actual hurtful stuff that sometimes gets thrown around in them.

In between all the /clears and the occasional taunting douchebag who thought it was intelligent to egg on 35k viewers who couldn't talk, you'd see mods having conversations amongst themselves about when the chat was coming back up, and a couple of times it was mentioned that it was Mikwuyma or someone on his account who had initiated the submode. If it wasn't actually him I take back the hate.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
The first time Twitch chat got shut off it was done by Twitch themselves because they'd gotten so many complaints about the chat being a complete shitpile.

Past that I have no idea, but I'd be very surprised if Mike did anything since he'd made it pretty clear beforehand that he didn't give two shits about the Twitch chat. Frankly, neither did I. My attitude towards that was to let them do whatever they wanted and only use the Quakenet chat if I used anything at all. I spent maybe an hour total in the chatrooms during the entire main event.

I remember Panzeh coming up to me at some point and telling me that people wanted me to come on Synirc, but I'm pretty sure I was neck-deep in something else at the time and didn't feel like running upstairs to grab my laptop.

Even on Quakenet, the chat was 80% useless banter, 15% arguing about FF/MLP/whatever the gently caress and 3% "the game audio is too quiet/loud" or "can we get a roll call" or "I can't tell who's on which side of the screen" (despite them being listed in order on the bottom).

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 22, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Donation ticker is a great idea. Just read aloud donations greater than $25 and there's no problem at all. They'll probably make more money because people will have to shell out more than five bucks to tell Cosmo he's great.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Or they just don't donate at all because they're poor and we lose their small donations completely (which really add up; I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown of donations by pricing). I'm not saying it's not a potentially good idea and worth considering, but it's definitely a gamble.

Personally I think the ticker should be there for every non-offensive donation but donations would still be read aloud when they could (breaks in runners speaking or between games); there would be the same backlog and rush to get through them like this year, but less pressure to do so.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
$5 minimum, 140 character limit

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

fleshweasel posted:

$5 minimum, 140 character limit

This is the best idea. Ticker these tweet-esque comments, and read exceptional donations?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

scary ghost dog posted:

Donation ticker is a great idea. Just read aloud donations greater than $25 and there's no problem at all. They'll probably make more money because people will have to shell out more than five bucks to tell Cosmo he's great.

During surges we even had to skip donations this big. It's a weird problem to have.

Ticker for sure. Probably have it try to automatically adjust the ones it skips depending on how big the backlog is. Anything under a dollar is pretty much entirely eaten by Paypal, so that'll be the absolute minimum.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

UraniumAnchor posted:

"I can't tell who's on which side of the screen" (despite them being listed in order on the bottom).

In fairness, it's really difficult to tell a pair of names listed in order from a pair of names not listed in order when you don't know what the order is. Adding (left) and (right) after people's names or adding a note to the main page would probably be a good idea in future.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

pumpinglemma posted:

Adding (left) and (right) after people's names

I tried to do this sometimes but I didn't always remember. Which is weird because I did it all the time at SGDQ.

quote:

or adding a note to the main page would probably be a good idea in future.

If it's not on the stream people don't see it, as a general rule.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

UraniumAnchor posted:

Ticker for sure. Probably have it try to automatically adjust the ones it skips depending on how big the backlog is. Anything under a dollar is pretty much entirely eaten by Paypal, so that'll be the absolute minimum.

You should Really Make This Known in Big Red Letters or something. It's really frustrating to hear donations of $0.42 or something because you know it was just a donation straight to PayPal.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

UraniumAnchor posted:

During surges we even had to skip donations this big. It's a weird problem to have.

This seemed to also be affected by who was reading at the time -- if it wasn't Mike, smaller donations seemed to be way more likely to be read, even during really, really donation-heavy runs. Dunno if that was a failure of communication or what. :shrug:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

ColdPie posted:

You should Really Make This Known in Big Red Letters or something. It's really frustrating to hear donations of $0.42 or something because you know it was just a donation straight to PayPal.

It should have been filtering these out anyway, so if any made it through that was probably a bug.

That said, I'm going to look into forcing some sort of minimum. I don't know if Paypal lets you reject payments under a certain amount, but if nothing else I can add it to the callback page that they see after the donation goes through.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

UraniumAnchor posted:

It should have been filtering these out anyway, so if any made it through that was probably a bug.

That said, I'm going to look into forcing some sort of minimum. I don't know if Paypal lets you reject payments under a certain amount, but if nothing else I can add it to the callback page that they see after the donation goes through.

Is the announcer reading that page directly? It might not be a bad idea to have someone or someones filter/censor/add phonetic pronunciations and pass that list to the announcer.

You could setup a twitter like @AGDQdonations and have that person simply post the donations to the twitter feed. That way the announcer can just update the twitter feed and read comments without needing to think or pause or read-ahead about the content of what they're reading. It would also make a great excuse to tell people to keep it to 140 characters.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
We had a couple people screening donations and assigning bids. Even with 2-3 people it was hard to keep up sometimes. Nothing made it to the reader's station without being passed through the screening crew first.

Obviously they weren't perfect, but with 16000 donations it's inevitable that something's going to get through.

Though I was still pretty :cripes: at whoever let Mike Hunt through.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

UraniumAnchor posted:

We had a couple people screening donations and assigning bids. Even with 2-3 people it was hard to keep up sometimes. Nothing made it to the reader's station without being passed through the screening crew first.

Obviously they weren't perfect, but with 16000 donations it's inevitable that something's going to get through.

Though I was still pretty :cripes: at whoever let Mike Hunt through.

Mike Hunt managed to make it through multiple times, somehow. I still don't quite get why you guys insist on moderating the donation comments with 3 people on-site. Why not just outsource it to a larger group beforehand? If you get a large enough volunteer group you can have them checked over multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

zylche posted:

Mike Hunt managed to make it through multiple times, somehow. I still don't quite get why you guys insist on moderating the donation comments with 3 people on-site. Why not just outsource it to a larger group beforehand? If you get a large enough volunteer group you can have them checked over multiple times.

It was supposed to be more than that. We had tables set up for like 5-6 people to be doing it but somehow it ended up only being 2 most of the time. I kept saying to go get more people to help them out but it never happened and I had other things I needed be keeping an eye on.

• Locked thread