Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

Do you have to be such a child all of the time? You cry when people bring up anything you don't like. You're not saying anything constructive or even an opinion about what I'm saying. I think you're wrong about who is the one embarrassing themselves.

Also what definition did I give of literary fiction that was wrong? You don't provide any personal experience or anything to back up what you say. It just sounds like you're being petty because your opinion doesn't line up with what I'm saying.

There was already a conversation several pages back, initiated by you, about what exactly literary fiction is and how you don't seem to have read anything outside of your pet genres aside from high school required reading. I don't think we really need to sum all that up again for you; you can feel free to page back and re-read it. You can read and enjoy whatever you want, and write whatever you want, but don't go around theorizing about the future of fiction or criticizing modern literature if you literally have not read 90% of what is considered good contemporary writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

E1M1 posted:

It's true. Literary fiction is a vast conspiracy of snooty professors telling their students that, no, they can't waste everyone's time with their dogshit space opera or elf story. I have a chip on my shoulder because my teachers made me write stories about sad dads and dead dogs when I wanted to write about the titanium pirates of Neo-Atlantis. Obviously the state of the medium is in decline and soon we will all wallow in lazily written fanfics, and I will smile and set alight my copy of "Best American Short Stories" and throw it onto literary fiction's funeral pyre
It's a sad thing about internet fiction communities that I can't tell if you're being ironic or not.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Is this it? Is the novel finally dead? One by one the genre writers come out from their caves. They shield their eyes from the sun. We're free, brothers. We are finally free.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Everybody read Elmore Leonard.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

squeegee posted:

There was already a conversation several pages back, initiated by you, about what exactly literary fiction is and how you don't seem to have read anything outside of your pet genres aside from high school required reading. I don't think we really need to sum all that up again for you; you can feel free to page back and re-read it. You can read and enjoy whatever you want, and write whatever you want, but don't go around theorizing about the future of fiction or criticizing modern literature if you literally have not read 90% of what is considered good contemporary writing.

I don't remember saying anything about high school or not having read anything literary since then. In fact I said the opposite and I liked some of the things I read in high school like Of Mice and Men and The Great Gatsby. But thanks for proving the point that you're just making stuff up and don't actually remember what I said.

E1M1 posted:

It's true. Literary fiction is a vast conspiracy of snooty professors telling their students that, no, they can't waste everyone's time with their dogshit space opera or elf story. I have a chip on my shoulder because my teachers made me write stories about sad dads and dead dogs when I wanted to write about the titanium pirates of Neo-Atlantis. Obviously the state of the medium is in decline and soon we will all wallow in lazily written fanfics, and I will smile and set alight my copy of "Best American Short Stories" and throw it onto literary fiction's funeral pyre

Obviously I've read some stuff on the subject and I tried to enroll in some creative writing classes and know the curriculum. In fact I was reading a blog about this the other day and one commenter addressed the same thing I said here:

quote:

Hi April! Let me throw a couple thoughts into this discussion.In the UK, the NAWE (National Associate of Writers in Education) includes in its *Creative Writing Benchmark Statement* that "a Creative Writing course [should] not uncritically privilege one or other genre or style of writing (e.g. ‘literary fiction’)" However, in the US, the AWP's (Association of Writers and Writing Programs) *Director's Handbook* insists that "students are required to produce a publishable literary work" I realize that you're mostly talking about marketing here, but I do think that the privileging of "literary" over "genre" (or to widen the scope a little, lets call it "commercial") starts in school--for a variety of reasons. Chad Harbach's piece in Slate last year addressed this issue quite well. http://www.slate.com/articles/... Two writers I know (who also teach creative writing) interested in this issue are Julianna Baggott and Benjamin Percy, who have plenty of literary cred but are interested in appealing to as wide an audience as possible. Ben talks about it here: http://fictionwritersreview.co.... Let me put this out there, too: What does it mean when writers like Alice Munro and Alice McDermott and Anne Tyler are marketed as "women's fiction?" I know I've had a tough time getting my male students to read books that present as "girly." One reason why many women writers try hard to stay within literary boundaries is because they are afraid of not being taken seriously. (Disclaimer: I believe it's troubling when we assume that just because a lot of women want to read a book, it must not be very good.)

But I'm just making this up, it's not in the first comment with supporting links here on this web page: http://janefriedman.com/2012/01/16/literary-fiction-attention/

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.
No one is arguing against the idea that most serious creative writing classes/student workshops discourage genre work. That is absolutely true and I've been in many a workshop where someone tries to pass obvious fanfiction off as an original work with the names switched around and it's just awkward for everyone.

Also, no one is arguing that "literary" authors rarely make as much money or have as much popular success as genre authors. As a group, they never have, and most likely never will. This is not a new development. We're not going to suddenly see "less and less" literary fiction out there because you just noticed these basics facts.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
There seems to have been a gradual split between genre and literary over the last few decades. If you want genre work that has literary aspersions, look to the 50s and back, when the concepts being worked were fairly new.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

squeegee posted:

No one is arguing against the idea that most serious creative writing classes/student workshops discourage genre work. That is absolutely true and I've been in many a workshop where someone tries to pass obvious fanfiction off as an original work with the names switched around and it's just awkward for everyone.

Also, no one is arguing that "literary" authors rarely make as much money or have as much popular success as genre authors. As a group, they never have, and most likely never will. This is not a new development. We're not going to suddenly see "less and less" literary fiction out there because you just noticed these basics facts.

I think you have the wrong idea about what I mean to be. My intention is to straddle the line. That's why I still read outside of genre fiction and enjoy it. And yes, while I think Fan Fiction can be done respectably I also think Fan Fiction should stay as Fan Fiction and not be adapted into an original story. I've never seen anyone try to do this switching the names thing with writing groups, but that sounds pretty stupid a thing to do. If I write some Sherlock or other Fan Fiction it's set in that world and it just won't work outside of there. That's what Fan Fiction is a homage or you just trying to play in a world you enjoy. It's not for you to sell later down the line with the numbers filed off.

My issue with first person is probably confidence related and given that confidence is something I don't have much of to spare I am a little put off by trying right now to break from my writing to struggle through first person with this short story.

There's nothing wrong with literary fiction though. I just find that I am picky about what I like of it. But that's to be said about anything. I don't excuse poor character crafting or dialogue simply because "This is genre."

I was also told to read some books that were popular to see what made them tick. I tried reading Fifty Shades of Grey like three times now and I've either fallen asleep (once at work) or just been bored to tears. I am muddling my way through Hush Hush right now and I would describe the feeling as being felt up by strangers on a commuter train. It's just uncomfortable and it's like the poster child for rape culture.

CB_Tube_Knight fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 22, 2013

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Martello posted:

Everybody read Elmore Leonard.

Got a copy of his complete Westerns coming my way, in fact. Can't find poo poo here in Froggyland. I'm as interested as can be in that at the moment.

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is worth a read. I just finished it and it's definitely not boring literary fiction with no action.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
I think steampunk is a valid and interesting genrahahahahhahaha

wow.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
So what can we discuss regarding the skeletal construction of fiction? Not so much ideas as how you plot a story to ramp up interest and keep a reader interested independent of the plot points.

Or prettymuch anything other than the genre v lit.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

I think steampunk is a valid and interesting genrahahahahhahaha

wow.
See, there's actually a core idea that created steampunk that's right there in the name that could make something genuinely interesting and I've only seen it used once. If you put the punk back into steampunk and wrote a novel about the consequences of technology outstripping social progress, you could have a fairly interesting topic. A filthy, violent thing written from street level that deals with the whole "they're not poor; they have refrigerators" thing in a genre setting. Maybe bring in some more esoteric Victorian stuff like Golden Dawn mysticism and only put gears on things if they need gears.

Instead, it's "twee white people ride around in dirigibles drinking tea and wearing goggles".

That's a good way to combine lit and genre: use the fact you're not writing about our earth to pull punches- to couch things people don't want to hear in a more accessible form.

It's a pet peeve of mine. I loved The Difference Engine and I hate the fact that something so potentially interesting got co-opted by terrible internet people.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed and gave me advice.

Let me try again:

Death draws nearer; ten thousand pounds of pressure await, to crush and entomb him in an endless night. Sean's hand finds, at last, a useful lever- the battery's priming pump.

Context: dude's deep underwater, and his sub is in danger of imploding as he's about to hit something

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I'd be interested in hearing how people deal with action scenes. How do you make it readable? Do you block it all out?

I'm having trouble with the physical space of my action and making that action easy to follow. I suspect it make have something to do with 'simultaneous' versus 'sequential'. I'm about ten minutes away from using green plastic soldiers.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Molly Bloom posted:

Got a copy of his complete Westerns coming my way, in fact. Can't find poo poo here in Froggyland. I'm as interested as can be in that at the moment.

Funny, I'm working through that right now on my Kindle. The first three stories are great so far, but overall I prefer his crime novels. Probably because that's one of my favorite genres.

Muffin and Bohner - you forget Arcanum. :colbert:

Banana - you're asking us to fix your writing based on a single sentence. Please go to Fiction Farm to post a longer piece, or go to Thunderdome and compete. You'll get great feedback either way.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Martello posted:

Banana - you're asking us to fix your writing based on a single sentence. Please go to Fiction Farm to post a longer piece, or go to Thunderdome and compete. You'll get great feedback either way.

Okay, thank you, I'll head over there.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

The Bananana posted:

Thanks again to everyone who contributed and gave me advice.

Let me try again:

Death draws nearer; ten thousand pounds of pressure await, to crush and entomb him in an endless night. Sean's hand finds, at last, a useful lever- the battery's priming pump.

Context: dude's deep underwater, and his sub is in danger of imploding as he's about to hit something

I'll bite, even though you've been directed to the Fiction Farm. It's better. I'm not a fan of anything remotely purple, though, so my red pen is still at hand. Now, definitely don't take me as gospel. But if I were to write the line, I'd simplify the gently caress out of it.

'Death draws nearer. Ten thousand pounds of pressure wait to entomb him in endless night. Sean's hand finds, at last, a lever- the battery's priming pump.'

It's better, to my ear and eye, with varied sentence length and structure. If I was really writing this, I would probable cut out the 'endless night' or maybe 'Death draws nearer'. Or both. But that's me, not you.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Molly Bloom posted:

I'd be interested in hearing how people deal with action scenes. How do you make it readable? Do you block it all out?

I'm having trouble with the physical space of my action and making that action easy to follow. I suspect it make have something to do with 'simultaneous' versus 'sequential'. I'm about ten minutes away from using green plastic soldiers.

Post a sample and we'll look it over. It sounds like you're trying to describe two different scenes happening at the same time. I'd probably describe them in short sequential bursts so one part reaches a resting or pausing point, then throw in a "Jack looked over and saw..." if that next part is happening right after, or if it's happening at the same time, maybe use "Meanwhile...", "Simultaneously...", "At the same time..." or something along those lines to signify that you're transitioning from one fight to another.

To keep the action readable, try and make the sentences short and efficient. Shorter sentences give the illusion of things happening faster. You shouldn't describe action in the middle of a scene, but try and describe the area a little before the action starts. This might get trickier if your character bursts into a new room and then a fight immediately happens.

I've got a sample, which may or may not be very good. It's only one fight, not two happening at once, though.

quote:

One of the guards came closer, jabbing at the bushes with the rifle’s muzzle. Clearly inexperienced, and not too bright. The other guard was smart enough to stand back, but not smart enough to tell his colleague.

“We won’t warn you again. Come out in five seconds or we’ll shoot!”

“Wait. Please don’t hurt me!” Leara said, filling her voice with fear.

“A girl?” one of the guards said. They relaxed slightly, taking their fingers off the triggers.

How chivalrous - and foolish. Leara hurled the rock, striking the rear guard above his right eye.

“Agh!” He stumbled, clutching at the seeping wound.

The not-very-bright guard instinctively turned to look. That let Leara wrench the rifle from his arms. She reversed the motion, thrusting stock into stomach, knocking the wind out of him. The first guard started to recover, so Leara swung the gun at his arm. She hit his wrist, and the gun clattered on the stones. A solid kick to his mid-section made him fold as well. She gave each a thump on the head for good measure.

If I wanted to add a second fight at the same time there, I might re-write it something like this. But again, I've got a lot to learn about writing action scenes as well.

quote:

One of the guards came closer, jabbing at the bushes with the rifle’s muzzle. Clearly inexperienced, and not too bright. The other guard was smart enough to stand back, but not smart enough to tell his colleagues.

“We won’t warn you again. Come out in five seconds or we’ll shoot!” Behind them, Dan popped his head over the cliff edge. Leara just had to hold their attention for a few more seconds.

“Wait. Please don’t hurt me!” Leara said, filling her voice with fear.

“A girl?” one of the guards said. They relaxed slightly, taking their fingers off the triggers.

How chivalrous - and foolish. Leara hurled the rock, striking the rear guard above his right eye.

“Agh!” He stumbled, clutching at the seeping wound.

The not-very-bright guard instinctively turned to look. That let Leara wrench the rifle from his arms.

Dan kicked out the back of the third guard's leg. He crashed to the ground. His head took a blow and he fell unconscious. "Hey!" said the fourth guard. He was skilled, discarding his rifle and snatching a knife from his belt-holster. He took a swipe at Dan.

Dan jumped away from the swipe, his feet sliding on the gravel.

Leara didn't bother adjusting her grip on the rifle, instead thrusting the stock into the dumb-guard's stomach, knocking the wind out of him. The first guard started to recover, so Leara swung the gun at his arm. She hit his wrist, and the gun clattered on the stones. A solid kick to his mid-section made him fold as well. She gave each a thump on the head for good measure. Looking up, she saw Dan, backed into the railing. His panic-stricken face said he was losing his balance.

The knife-holding guard charged him. Dan neatly side-stepped, grabbing the guard's arm and letting his momentum carry him screaming over the cliff edge.

EDIT: Oops, I completely forgot about the third guard after his knee got kicked out. That's what I get for writing an example up in five minutes. So uh... bad example.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 23, 2013

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I've got a sample, which may or may not be very good. It's only one fight, not two happening at once, though.

I know this isn't Fiction Farm, but would you mind if I critiqued this a little later? If you (or others) prefer I can do it over PM.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

DivisionPost posted:

I know this isn't Fiction Farm, but would you mind if I critiqued this a little later? If you (or others) prefer I can do it over PM.

Go ahead, you can critique it wherever. In this thread might be better since I was offering it as an example, so if it's terrible, it'd be more helpful for Molly. (Honestly, that two-fight version probably isn't that good because I wrote it up in only three minutes.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Molly Bloom posted:

Just move your combatants through the space and tell a story as you do it. Think of it cinematically. What is the camera watching? Brief disorienting cuts, moments of slow detailed motion, focussing on an image for a moment, propulsion by clipped words. Here's a passage from one of my thunderdome pieces:

quote:

Jack had thrown a brick through my window first. Come through after it, knife in hand. I’d gripped his wrist, slammed the hand into the wall. Taken his headbutt, fallen over. He’d kicked me twice, three times. I remember the sound of his boot hitting me, the sound of a rib cracking. I remember grabbing the knife from the floor, stabbing up. His hot blood washing off in the shower afterwards, spiraling down the plughole.

This is clipped and brutal to give the idea of flashes of memory and instinctive action, but there's still a progression. For a more elaborate style, but still making the action clear:

quote:

I saw her eyes flicker to the side and I hurled my cup of tea at her face, pushing my chair back and over as I did. There was a subdued 'thwip' as a needle passed over me and buried itself in the wall, followed by a crash that knocked the wind out of me and probably cracked a couple of ribs as I hit the floor hard. I pulled my bony knees up to my chest and shoved the table with all my strength. It slammed Evangeline into the wall behind her and her handbag fell to the floor.

I rolled over, every joint protesting and cracked ribs sending shards of agony through my chest. Some woman screamed as I stood up, breathing heavily, stumbled towards the lavatory door I'd scouted before our meeting. I glanced back. Miss Albert wasn't moving. Someone pointed at me and yelled and I pushed through the door, shut and locked it behind me

Here I was trying for a smart combatant who's planned out his actions beforehand, so longer sentences, noticing all the detail.

As an exercise, pick a good fight in a film and write it out.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 23, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Bananana posted:

I think you're just using too many commas. I tend to do the same thing and when I write stuff I often find myself having to go back and remove a bunch of them.

Death draws nearer. Ten-thousand pounds of pressure wait to crush and entomb him in an endless night. Sean's hand finds a useful lever at last — the battery's priming pump.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Adeptus posted:

Isn't Snow Crash in third person? Or am I mis-remembering?

Wait, you're right, poo poo. Everyone just stop listening to me now.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

Down With People posted:

Wait, you're right, poo poo. Everyone just stop listening to me now.

You wily bastard! You tricked me. I still want to read this book though, so it's cool.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Molly Bloom posted:

Chillmatic I will never stop recommending Michael Chabon's 'Yiddish Policemen's Union'.
I'm just going to stop for a moment and say go out and get yourself a kindle. I don't care if you're going to have to only eat rice for a week to afford it, get yourself a kindle.

I saw this post, went 'hey I remember hearing about that, it sounded interesting' and fifteen seconds later I have a copy of it in my hands. Kindles are absolutely the best.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

Yeah the drunk driving thing is really a bad example. I think that if I had a glass of wine and drove, I could easily do so, I could easily pass any test the cops gave me and the like. And I am a bit of a lightweight.

I kind of figured that you would all say this, I wanted to make sure I wasn't being an rear end in a top hat as I usually am.

I think you have an entirely incorrect idea of Literature. I'm not saying that you are a terrible person, but you're a terrible student of fiction. Literature is way more about interpretation and mimesis than content. Literature and genre fiction can share the same exact content. There exists no secret intrinsic feature that separates the two. The audience separates them. It divides them into a false dichotomy and separates things from each other when there isn't any need to.

You can find examples of scholarly studied Literature in every single genre, and you can trace the beginning of all of them to literature also.

They aren't as separate as your posts seem to state they are. If everyone in CC wrote a one paragraph post on what literature is, we'd have a thread full of people, none of whom would agree with any other person on each part of their definition.

Also if you get bored THAT easy...I don't think you are in the right art.

Chillmatic, you are just as guilty. If you think that literature and "genre fiction" are so separated by the quality of the writing, you haven't read enough literature. Try to remember this. For every example of something you have from a certain time period that you consider to be literary, 1000 books were written and printed that no one bothered to preserve because the quality wasn't good enough. Today, you are taking on the job that belongs to fate, or god, or time or whatever the gently caress you want to call it. The difference between this is like gold panning. Literature is the result of work people have already done, you already have the gold in that case. Look at today's fiction and you are faced with softly sifting though a thousand pans of dirt just to find a few valuable specs.

Mrfreezewarning fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 23, 2013

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

Mr.Drf posted:

I think you have an entirely incorrect idea of Literature. I'm not saying that you are a terrible person, but you're a terrible student of fiction. Literature is way more about interpretation and mimesis than content. Literature and genre fiction can share the same exact content. There exists no secret intrinsic feature that separates the two. The audience separates them. It divides them into a false dichotomy and separates things from each other when there isn't any need to.

You can find examples of scholarly studied Literature in every single genre, and you can trace the beginning of all of them to literature also.

They aren't as separate as your posts seem to state they are. If everyone in CC wrote a one paragraph post on what literature is, we'd have a thread full of people, none of whom would agree with any other person on each part of their definition.

Also if you get bored THAT easy...I don't think you are in the right art.

What you quoted and what you're saying don't make any sense.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

What you quoted and what you're saying don't make any sense.
I was replying to your earlier statements, not your sissy-rear end hand wringing about trigger warnings.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

Mr.Drf posted:

I was replying to your earlier statements, not your sissy-rear end hand wringing about trigger warnings.

Sounds like you're here to stir up poo poo that everyone else is tired of. You're welcome to PM me so I can ignore you there, though. If you want to dispute definitions I'd say you take it up with Websters or Wikipedia.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

Sounds like you're here to stir up poo poo that everyone else is tired of. You're welcome to PM me so I can ignore you there, though. If you want to dispute definitions I'd say you take it up with Websters or Wikipedia.

Nope. No interest in discussing it further. I was just catching up with the last two pages and wanted to put my two cents in the discussion.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

sebmojo posted:

As an exercise, pick a good fight in a film and write it out.

I'll give this a try once I dig out a good film for it-we've been on an arty kick (except for Django, but that's definitely not what I want).

I may post something up in the Farm myself, but it's with a friend at the moment. I tore the guts out of one of his things last week, so he'll be brutal.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
Some posts earlier in the thread led me to finally watch the movie Adaptation and then I was pointed towards the Robert McKee story seminars. Weighing the possibility of attending it myself sometime aside, I'm looking at getting his book because it seems to be pretty universal stuff that can be applied to fiction as well, and I can 'eat around' the stuff specifically pertaining to the visual aspect. Anyone else read it?

e: I'm dumb, first review quote:

quote:

“ I recommend this book for anyone that wants to write compelling stories, whether you want to be screenwriter, playwright or novelist. ”

95 reviewers made a similar statement

So consider this post a recommendation instead!

FauxCyclops fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 23, 2013

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Please everyone shut up about "literary" fiction vs "genre" fiction, forever. Thanks in advance.

HiddenGecko
Apr 15, 2007

You think I'm really going
to read this shit?

FauxCyclops posted:

Some posts earlier in the thread led me to finally watch the movie Adaptation and then I was pointed towards the Robert McKee story seminars. Weighing the possibility of attending it myself sometime aside, I'm looking at getting his book because it seems to be pretty universal stuff that can be applied to fiction as well, and I can 'eat around' the stuff specifically pertaining to the visual aspect. Anyone else read it?

e: I'm dumb, first review quote:

So consider this post a recommendation instead!

If you watched Adaptation and you got the urge to adopt McKee's lessons on writing then we were watching two very very different movies. Considering that the movie in of itself is a commentary on the kind of movies produced through McKee's methods and it was definitely not a flattering depiction. (By god, McKee even becomes a Deus Ex Machina old man halfway through the movie as he's berating the main character not to include one in the script of the movie you're watching!)

I'm on the opposite end though. Don't buy books like this and use them to learn how to write. You have to be far along in your growth as a writer before these kinds of craft books will really do you any good. Especially "paint by the numbers" books that present a railroad of ideas that you just have to follow and produce your book. You're better off spending your time consuming as much fiction as you can. Although, they're not all bad. On Writing by Stephen King is a rare one in that it's truly more about the art of writing and being a professional writer than some "formula for success!" writing guide.

For those who have not seen the movie though I would definitely recommend though because it's a movie about flowers that just happens to be about writing in general. More specifically it deals with how hard it is to adapt a book to screen and ends up being more about that than anything else. It's a weird movie, but it's a brilliantly weird one.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

HiddenGecko posted:

I'm on the opposite end though. Don't buy books like this and use them to learn how to write. You have to be far along in your growth as a writer before these kinds of craft books will really do you any good. Especially "paint by the numbers" books that present a railroad of ideas that you just have to follow and produce your book. You're better off spending your time consuming as much fiction as you can. Although, they're not all bad. On Writing by Stephen King is a rare one in that it's truly more about the art of writing and being a professional writer than some "formula for success!" writing guide.

So basically, something like this (Building Great Sentences) wouldn't be worth getting either, compared to just reading more?

HiddenGecko
Apr 15, 2007

You think I'm really going
to read this shit?

So basically, something like this (Building Great Sentences) wouldn't be worth getting either, compared to just reading more?

After reading through its description it seems like it's a university level course on DVD. And it seems to focus on a fairly wide range of topics with a focus on sentence structure. I'd actually consider this one of the good ones since this guy's philosophy is pretty alright:

Professor Landon posted:

Building Great Sentences stems from Professor Landon's passion for a sentence-based approach to writing, commonly overshadowed by more technical, theory-based approaches that ignore the pleasures of reading and writing.

You see Professor Landon's countertraditional approach—emphasizing the pleasure of language and not the avoidance of mistakes. This method makes this course a unique way to experience and understand the pleasure that Gertrude Stein found in the sequences of words that constitute our sentences.

This one does fall into what I was talking about though because at the point where a master class on sentences becomes useful is in line editing and wordsmithing(wordsmithing is where you reorder the sentence and change words without changing the meaning of the sentence in an effort to increase clarity.). And the class assumes you already have a good handle on sentences before coming in. Someone whose just starting out wouldn't get too much out of this class and may find themselves stifled because they'll assume this is the "right way" to construct sentences. In my opinion.

HiddenGecko fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 23, 2013

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Mr.Drf posted:

Chillmatic, you are just as guilty. If you think that literature and "genre fiction" are so separated by the quality of the writing, you haven't read enough literature. Try to remember this. For every example of something you have from a certain time period that you consider to be literary, 1000 books were written and printed that no one bothered to preserve because the quality wasn't good enough. Today, you are taking on the job that belongs to fate, or god, or time or whatever the gently caress you want to call it. The difference between this is like gold panning. Literature is the result of work people have already done, you already have the gold in that case. Look at today's fiction and you are faced with softly sifting though a thousand pans of dirt just to find a few valuable specs.

Alright Captain Aristotle, I'm sure we're all truly grateful for your clumsy attempt at saying lots of words that actually don't mean anything and took what I said wildly out of context-- but you'll notice that I put "genre" and "literary" in quotes. Everyone already knows these are nebulous concepts with overlap and that there are good and bad examples of each type.

If you could just unshart your jorts for a second, you'd be able to see that my primary concern was a disconnect between the type and scope of stories vs. the consensus regarding quality or lack thereof. I chose the words I used because they're the easiest way to make my point; but hey, don't let me keep you from being a pedantic gay baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Go ahead, you can critique it wherever. In this thread might be better since I was offering it as an example, so if it's terrible, it'd be more helpful for Molly. (Honestly, that two-fight version probably isn't that good because I wrote it up in only three minutes.)

Okay, then here's one schmuck's opinion. I put "here's what I'd do" in spoiler tags to give you a chance to find your own solution (since I know people usually don't appreciate rewrites-as-critiques) (for good reason) (sorry, I kind of suck at critiques).

quote:

One of the guards came closer, jabbing at the bushes with the rifle’s muzzle. Clearly inexperienced, and not too bright. The other guard was smart enough to stand back, but not smart enough to tell his colleague (Tell him what?).

“We won’t warn you again. Come out in five seconds or we’ll shoot!” (Who's saying this?)

“Wait. Please don’t hurt me!” Leara said, filling her voice with fear. (I'd find an attributor here that shows that she's filling her voice with fear. Speaking personally, I'd go with "squeaked out", which would imply feminine vulnerability. However, "filling her voice with fear" gives it that slight sense of artifice that you're going for, so you may want to either keep that or find an attributor that gives that same implication in a more condensed fashion. If your character's already established as tough, though, you might not need to imply any artifice; the cognitive dissonance, followed by her action, will do that work for you.)

“A girl?” one of the guards said. (A little too on-the-nose for my tastes. Ask if a guard would really react out loud this way, and if so, why.) They Both guards relaxed slightly, taking their fingers off the triggers. (Avoid adverbs where you can; if plain old "relaxed" doesn't do it for you, try "eased up" or "backed off a bit." I'd probably do "Their postures slackened, their fingers easing off the triggers."; it implies that the guards themselves haven't relaxed, but they're backing off on their offensive stances, leaving them just open enough for attack.)

How chivalrous - and foolish. (Internal dialogue should usually be saved for when you need to express something that can't be shown. While it clearly characterizes Leara as someone who sees chivalry as, to some extent, a weakness, it also takes away from the immediacy of Leara's action, which partially implies this characterization in the first place. If you REALLY need to make this part of her character clear, you may consider adding a kiss-off line at the end of the scene.) Leara hurled the rock (Be sure you've already established the presence of a rock before you refer to it as "the" rock.), striking the rear guard above his right eye.

“Agh!” (This might not need a quotation, just a remark in the narrative that he groaned or cried out.) He stumbled, clutching at the seeping wound.

The not-very-bright guard instinctively turned to look. (Cause and effect; you can eliminate the need for the adverb by tying Liara's move directly to the not-very-bright guard's reaction. "The groan yanked the not-very-bright guard's attention away from his target...") That let Leara wrench the rifle from his arms. (How did she get from presumably hiding in the bushes to getting close enough to go for the rifle?) She reversed the motion (What motion?), thrusting stock into stomach, knocking the wind out of him. The first guard started to recover, so Leara swung the gun at his arm. She hit his wrist, and the gun (Whose gun?) clattered on the stones. (Try personalizing this beat; let's see it from her perspective. "With the first guard down, Leara glanced up and saw that the rear guard had started to recover. Before he could draw a bead on her she charged at him, swinging her new rifle at his arm. It struck his wrist with a painful crack [I added a sound effect to give it a greater sense of impact, though I'm not sure it's the right one], knocking his gun to the stones below.) A solid kick to his mid-section made him fold as well (extraneous). She gave each a thump on the head for good measure.

You could definitely condense those last three paragraphs into one.

Also, if you'll allow me to break off from the discussion of action scenes, I'd like to direct your attention to another matter: multi-sentence dialogue tends to read better if you stick the attribution mid-dialogue. So instead of:

quote:

"Wait. Please don't hurt me!" Leara said, filling her voice with fear.

You can do:

quote:

"Wait," Leara said, filling her voice with fear. "Please don't hurt me!"

A couple of sticking points to this, though: Firstly, if you're sticking the attribution at the end of a dialogue sentence, then the attribution ends with a sentence as seen above (and the dialogue itself ends with a comma and not a period, to flow into the attribution). However, if it's stuck in the MIDDLE of a sentence, then the attribution ends with a comma. For example, let's say you were going to use that piece of internal dialogue as a kiss-off line like I suggested. So the dialogue would be: "How chivalrous - and foolish." The way to attribute that would be:

quote:

"How chivalrous," Leara said, "and foolish."
-NOT-
"How chivalrous," Leara said. "And foolish."
(The pause in the dialogue that comes from the dash carries over through the reading of the attribution.)

Also, like many rules of writing, this one can be bent or broken depending on how you want the story to be read. Since an attribution implies a pause, you may want to hold off on them if you want the reader to imagine your character machine gunning his or her words. Or you might want to show the character doing an extended action mid-dialogue. I'll show an example from my own work:

quote:

"Don't be too impressed." Molly reached up for a bottle of tequila on the highest shelf. "My Dad said he was fine with it," she strained, "so long as I don't drive or throw up." She snagged the bottle and set it on the bar.

It doesn't follow the typical attribution format, but you (hopefully) know who's speaking, and to me it flows a little better compared to, say:

quote:

"Don't be too impressed," strained Molly as she reached up for a bottle of tequila on the highest shelf. "My Dad said he was fine with it, so long as I don't drive or throw up." She snagged the bottle and set it on the bar.

I don't think anything is WRONG with those sentences per se, but you'll notice that each example, while showing the same action, drastically changes the pacing of that action. I simply prefer the pacing of the first. However, the point is that you can give yourself such options if you know how to bend the rules of attribution.

That's it, hope you didn't mind the sidetrack.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 23, 2013

• Locked thread