Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Endorph posted:

Moving swiftly onwards, why can My Unit romance Anna? What about Jake? This is completely in contradiction with everything you have ever been, Anna.

It's a different Anna. There's some kinda massive interdimensional Nurse Joy/Officer Jenny situation going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

It's pointed out in the game, too. For fun, do sidequest 4 before sidequest 2.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Anna and Jake have an understanding.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Anna and Jake have an understanding.

Jake likes to watch.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Calaveron posted:

You know, if they add a character from this game to the next Smash Bros, I hope they defy conventions and make it My Unit, just because it feels like they could give him/her a wider array of attacks, what with the swording and the magicking.

Well, we've had a 'three-in-one character' in Pokemon Trainer. maybe a similar thing? There's about as many characters as Pokemon, anyways.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Okay, I haven't read the entire thread but I wanted to ask a question. I've always wanted to get into the FE series and just.. never did, would I be okay jumping into this or would it be better for me to play some of the older titles first?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rueish posted:

Okay, I haven't read the entire thread but I wanted to ask a question. I've always wanted to get into the FE series and just.. never did, would I be okay jumping into this or would it be better for me to play some of the older titles first?

Jump right in.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Jump on here. You just won't feel the urge to waste so much money on DLC.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rueish posted:

Short answer: :getin:

Slightly Longer Answer: This game is not at all related to the other games in the series, and may be a start of its own mini-series (Like Radiant Dawn was a sequel to Path of Radiance). Not to mention there a lot of newcomer friendly things here, such as Casual mode, so there is no better time to jump in. There is a demo in the 3DS shop if you want to try that.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Awakening seems like an ideal starting point.

That said, the previous games are pretty cool! Check em out.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Rueish posted:

This is the perfect place to jump in. Everything is explained, there are links to the older games but you really don't need to understand them at all to enjoy the plot, and the gameplay has been refined greatly from previous FE titles.

If anything, Awakening might ruin you for previous titles in the series. :v:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Honestly I just wish that the FE series had the same level of aesthetic quality as the SRW series, since they bear at least some passing resemblance in genre.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Fire Emblem is really one of the best game series. But it wasn't until we had Fiona and Devdad in PoR & RD, that I realised that the FE world is really really white.

Does Awakening have some more character versatility?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
It has Basilio and Flavia, who are rather less walking stereotype than Devdan/Danved. They're also supposed to be really cool I believe.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SC Bracer posted:

It has Basilio and Flavia, who are rather less walking stereotype than Devdan/Danved. They're also supposed to be really cool I believe.

They're King and Queen of Ferox, are really badass, and rule over one badass nation (but one rules over the western portion while the other rules over the eastern portion, they're not married to each other).

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Man I started looking at the skills link in the OP again and suddenly I was planning out how I wanted to make a Female Avatar and turn her into a harbinger of flying magic destruction and how I could use Lightning Speed to score a kill and then use the second turn to Rainbow Cry buff the rest of my army. This game can't come out soon enough.

To pass the time, what Class/Skill combinations are people here looking to try with their Avatars? I think it'd be interesting to see how many go all Strength or all Magic, or who tries something more balanced.

As a fan of dark magic in the Fire Emblem series in general (mainly due to how weird the effects of it can be compared to other, more straightforward, magic), I'll be making mine a Sorcerer. A +Spd/-HP or Strength Sorcerer.

He will also have a brief career as a Demon Fighter because Axe + Tome for the win! :colbert:

Endorph posted:

Chrom could work if they actually paid attention to the game's mechanics and the fact that he can be a Sniper, Cavalier, or Demon Fighter.

Falchion as his main weapon with bows, axes, magic, and lances as a back-up would be an actually interesting character. He could play a bit like Link, maybe, with the wide array of tools.

Of course that won't happen and we'll get another swordfighter, but hey.

Access to almost every normal Fire Emblem series weapon (and if you discount Staff as a weapon, make that every normal weapon) = Potential awesome moveset!

But it will likely never happen, so another swordfighter it is.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Does Awakening have a decently difficult final boss? I just finished Sacred Stones, and Ephraim killed the final boss on his own, critting twice for 204 total damage, and no-one else even got to fight. I remember FE12 had a piss-weak final boss (on Hard at least) as well, please tell me it's more like 9/10 (even if there were definitely parts of those fights that were annoying, like most characters not even scratching Ashnard, or units with low strength-caps barely dealing damage to the Aurora).

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Thanks for all the replies, I'll definitely be checking this one out then. I've been needing something to give my 3DS some use!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Insurrectionist posted:

Does Awakening have a decently difficult final boss? I just finished Sacred Stones, and Ephraim killed the final boss on his own, critting twice for 204 total damage, and no-one else even got to fight. I remember FE12 had a piss-weak final boss (on Hard at least) as well, please tell me it's more like 9/10 (even if there were definitely parts of those fights that were annoying, like most characters not even scratching Ashnard, or units with low strength-caps barely dealing damage to the Aurora).
Depends on difficulty. The final boss gets harder and harder to kill as difficulty scales up but isn't that hard on Normal.

However, it apparently takes a very specific breeding setup to one-shot them, so there's that!

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Does anyone know what the best option for getting the game shipped the quickest in the States would be? Gamestop's site no longer has an option to preorder online for some reason, and Amazon's page says that there's been trouble with the manufacturer that could mean shipping delays on their end.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Nakar posted:

Depends on difficulty. The final boss gets harder and harder to kill as difficulty scales up but isn't that hard on Normal.

However, it apparently takes a very specific breeding setup to one-shot them, so there's that!

That it does, mostly because the final boss has a skill that halves all damage against it and negates Counter & Lethality.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is there a delay on this game now? I checked my Amazon order and there was a notice that a Manufacturer delay was leading to a delay on their part. The expected arrival date was 2/6, but normally with Prime shipping they do release date. I really don't want to wait any longer for this game than I have to!

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
My last experience with the Fire Emblem series was Radiant Dawn, so I was wondering if Support Conversations were back in? I really missed that part in RD, even if generic conversations made things easier from an optimization standpoint.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Green Bean posted:

My last experience with the Fire Emblem series was Radiant Dawn, so I was wondering if Support Conversations were back in? I really missed that part in RD, even if generic conversations made things easier from an optimization standpoint.

Yes, each character has full-on support conversations now. There are even multiple ones for certain special circumstances.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Green Bean posted:

Yeeeep! It seems to have a lot more conversations than earlier games too, going by the lists on the Fire Emblem wiki.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

They are making up for Radiant Dawn in spades as this is the supportiest Fire Emblem by far.

Outside of a couple special exceptions, every male can basically support every female.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

They are making up for Radiant Dawn in spades as this is the supportiest Fire Emblem by far.

Outside of a couple special exceptions, every male can basically support every female.

Not quiet to that level. There's actually quite a few cases where there are noticeable absences from each character's list and several characters who basically have very small numbers of available supports.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

Not quiet to that level. There's actually quite a few cases where there are noticeable absences from each character's list and several characters who basically have very small numbers of available supports.

The vast majority of the cast has 12 or more supports, which is more than double the average amount from FE7-9. There are only seven non-DLC characters that have less than that, and they range between 2 and 10.

Same sex supports are slightly limited, with most people only having 1-6 total (depending on the Avatar's gender).

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
This might have been answered already but do the DLC characters come with their signature weapons? If so I will be forced to buy Lyn because she is awesome and the Mani Katti was silly.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

PlotDevice posted:

This might have been answered already but do the DLC characters come with their signature weapons? If so I will be forced to buy Lyn because she is awesome and the Mani Katti was silly.

For the most part, yes. But there are some strange omissions and changes.

Elincia :argh:

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Levantine posted:

Is there a delay on this game now? I checked my Amazon order and there was a notice that a Manufacturer delay was leading to a delay on their part. The expected arrival date was 2/6, but normally with Prime shipping they do release date. I really don't want to wait any longer for this game than I have to!

We won't know until next week, when games are delivered to stores in anticipation for street dated titles. The fact that the game comes on a Monday is what bothers me.

Why Monday when most first party Nintendo games are usually released on Sundays? :confused:

E: VVVV You know, that makes sense. The Superbowl is practically a national holiday in the US. Though the last video game ad I saw was Halo 3.

Lord Ephraim fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 22, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Lord Ephraim posted:

We won't know until next week, when games are delivered to stores in anticipation for street dated titles. The fact that the game comes on a Monday is what bothers me.

Why Monday when most first party Nintendo games are usually released on Sundays? :confused:

Maybe they bought ad time during the Superbowl.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So this will be my first Fire Emblem. Played the demo on normal the first time and loved it, but of course I dominated. Then after reading this thread and all the people having difficulty I upped it to Hard and now I understand a bit more. The difference in difficulty levels is pretty huge. Still defeated it, but lost a couple of people.

One big difference in the difficulties is that normal difficulty was telling me what I was likely to hit for vs what the enemy was likely to hit for. On Hard that goes away, so that leads me to my first major question. How does the math work in this game? What stats/values/etc do I need to pay attention to to figure out how a match up is going to go? (barring extremely bad or good luck)

Next questions deal with pairing... Is the purpose of this mostly to protect a weaker character? Like putting the healer in a group with someone? Or how else is this used? Does this build up support levels in the same way as having them next to each other?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

King Burgundy posted:

One big difference in the difficulties is that normal difficulty was telling me what I was likely to hit for vs what the enemy was likely to hit for. On Hard that goes away, so that leads me to my first major question. How does the math work in this game? What stats/values/etc do I need to pay attention to to figure out how a match up is going to go? (barring extremely bad or good luck)

Next questions deal with pairing... Is the purpose of this mostly to protect a weaker character? Like putting the healer in a group with someone? Or how else is this used? Does this build up support levels in the same way as having them next to each other?

For that first question, there's actually a toggle in the options that will change whether it shows you the summary or the full details, so look for that and definitely change it to full.

For the second thing, Pair Up does indeed help build support, and there are certain Skills that apply exclusively to Pair Up situations, including the Avatar's default skill of getting more EXP when Paired Up.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Usual formula is, for hitting:
Skill*2+Luck+Weapon accuracy+support VS Terrain + Speed*2+Luck+ Support.
Crit is Skill/2+Weapon bonus+ Support - Luck of the foe.
Damage is might of the weapon + Either strength or Magic +Support vs Ennemy Defence or Magic Defence (AKA Resistance) + Support + Terrain.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

King Burgundy posted:

So this will be my first Fire Emblem. Played the demo on normal the first time and loved it, but of course I dominated. Then after reading this thread and all the people having difficulty I upped it to Hard and now I understand a bit more. The difference in difficulty levels is pretty huge. Still defeated it, but lost a couple of people.

You can toggle more detailed information, like Shadow Ninja said. That said, calculations are really simple. Damage is: Strength + Weapon weight - Defense. There's some factor like terrain and support boosts that add or take away a point or two, but a point of strength is always one more damage, and a point of defense one less. Sub in Magic and Resitance for magical attacks.

You can attack twice if your speed is five more then an enemies.

Skill determines hit rate, critical rate, and skill activation, speed affects evasion, and luck does a bit of everything. These calculations are somewhat more complex though.

Pairing boosts the stats of the leader, for example on Hard it can be a good idea to pair Fredrick with Chrom or Robin. They'll get a sizable defense and strength boost, and Fredrick starts at a high level so he doesn't need the exp.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 22, 2013

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

That is all extremely helpful. Thank you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yes, pairing up gets you support points. You an tell by the glowing hearts that appear.

Anyway, the math in these games is super simple.

There are five main 'things' to worry about : Attack, Attack Speed, Hit Rate, Crit, and Avoid.

Attack is your Character's Str (if they're using a physical weapon) or Mag (if they're using a magical weapon), plus the weapon's might. If Chrom has 10 Str and is using a 6 Mt sword, his Attack is 16.

Attack Speed is your character's speed. That's it. There used to be weight for weapons but that isn't in FE13. It's just your speed. Do you have 5 more than the enemy? You'll hit them twice. Do they have five more than you? They'll hit you twice. Are they the same, or is the difference less than 5? You'll both hit once.

Hit Rate is Weapon's Hit rate + [(Skill x 3 + Luck) / 2]. So Chrom with 5 skill and 10 luck and a 90 hit weapon is 100 hit.

Avoid is(Speed x 3 + Luck) / 2. Same calculation as hit rate, just without the weapon factoring in, and skill swapped for speed.

Crit is Weapon's Critical + (Skill / 2).

Hit Rate - the enemy's avoid is your chance to hit. Chrom's 100 hit rate, against an enemy with 10 avoid, becomes a 90% hit chance. Everything, including this, is calculated the exact same way for enemies attacking you.

Crit - the enemy's luck is your chance to crit. 30 crit, against an enemy with 15 luck, becomes a 15% crit chance.

Damage is your Attack - the enemy's defense or res, depending on if you're using a physical or magical weapon. Defense for physical, res for magic. Chrom's 16 attack versus an enemy with 6 defense becomes 10 damage.

Terrain gives bonuses if you're standing on some specific terrain types, the character's weapon rank gives some minor bonuses, and there's a weapon triangle (Swords beat Axes, Lances beat Swords, Axes beat Lances) that also gives minor bonuses, and none of these take into account possible support bonuses, but these are the absolute basics.

TL;DR: High Str/Mag = More Bashy, High Skl = More Critty/Hitty, More Spd = More Dodgy/More MORE hitty if you're very fast, More Lck = More hitty and dodgy and Enemies are less critty, More Def/Res = More Tanky.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 22, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009
Can you pair up and then put that pair next to another for double supports?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Iceclaw posted:

Usual formula is, for hitting:
Skill*2+Luck+Weapon accuracy+support VS Terrain + Speed*2+Luck+ Support.
Crit is Skill/2+Weapon bonus+ Support - Luck of the foe.
Damage is might of the weapon + Either strength or Magic +Support vs Ennemy Defence or Magic Defence (AKA Resistance) + Support + Terrain.
The hit and evasion calculations have changed (and for the record Luck never has given itself as a value to hit, only to evade - it's halved on hit.) In Awakening, hit is (3*skill + luck)/2 + weapon accuracy + support and evasion in (3*speed + luck)/2 + terrain + support.

e:f;b

e: ^^^ As far as I know you get support both from your paired partner as well as adjacent units, but not from people paired with adjacent units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I know you get the support bonus from multiple adjacent units, but do you also build up support level with all of them or only the one that goes into battle with you? I feel like it's probably the latter but thought I'd ask for clarification.

• Locked thread