Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
It is most commonly referred to as autotune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITT6bYYGVfM&t=53s

edit: The range of examples should be good on this question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CaptainViolence posted:

I think what you're looking for is a vocoder. It's used a lot in electronic music and sometimes hip-hop, but it's around in a lot of other different genres too. I think Daft Punk uses it pretty frequently (I've only listened to one album but it had a lot of vocoder on it), and the Clockwork Orange soundtrack is full of it. ELO, Pink Floyd, and Styx have used vocoders before, too, but I don't remember how much (probably not much).

How To Wreck A Nice Beach is a pretty good examination of its history if you're interested in that.

I'm not familiar with ELO or Styx, but Pink Floyd generally uses a single vocoder, and it's not just the use of a vocoder that I'm interested in, but (what sounds like) multiple ones used in harmony to produce chords.

axolotl farmer posted:

Sounds like a pretty regular autotune effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

It is most commonly referred to as autotune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITT6bYYGVfM&t=53s

edit: The range of examples should be good on this question.

That sounds a lot closer and should be fairly easy to search for. Thanks!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
My current smartphone is a Sony Xperia Go. It has 1GHz dual-core CPU and 512MB RAM. I dislike it because it tends to lag a lot, occassionally, freezing, when using Google Maps. I'm considering upgrading to the Xperia S, which has a 1.5GHz CPU and 1 GHz RAM. How dramatic an improvement in performance can I expect? I mainly use my phone for GPS.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Baron Bifford posted:

My current smartphone is a Sony Xperia Go. It has 1GHz dual-core CPU and 512MB RAM. I dislike it because it tends to lag a lot, occassionally, freezing, when using Google Maps. I'm considering upgrading to the Xperia S, which has a 1.5GHz CPU and 1 GHz RAM. How dramatic an improvement in performance can I expect? I mainly use my phone for GPS.
It's a year-old phone and it might not even receive the update that came out last summer, which is the one that got rid of most of the lag. If you're set on getting an Android phone, we've got a thread for that. If not, you should probably get an iPhone, even one of the older models should work fine, and Google Maps is available on iOS now, too.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I got lazy the other day and threw my pea coat on my bed instead of hanging it up and my all white cat took a nap in it. Does anyone know a to trick to get this thing cleaned up besides a million lint roller sheets?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

I got lazy the other day and threw my pea coat on my bed instead of hanging it up and my all white cat took a nap in it. Does anyone know a to trick to get this thing cleaned up besides a million lint roller sheets?

Sometimes going over it with a rubber glove will do the trick. Or as a cheap alternative to lint rollers, duct tape wrapped around your hand sticky side out.

(My parents have a white cat and my dad uses the rubber glove trick for his recliner).

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
Can anyone break down the differences of Team Jacob/Team Edward in a nut shell? Do they have any similarities between the two?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Pookdaddy G posted:

Can anyone break down the differences of Team Jacob/Team Edward in a nut shell? Do they have any similarities between the two?

One is centered around their love for a certain fictional character, the other around the other fictional character. That's basically it.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

One is centered around their love for a certain fictional character, the other around the other fictional character. That's basically it.

Alright, but why? Can you give me some personality traits? I have never cared to watch the movies or crack open the books.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Pookdaddy G posted:

Alright, but why? Can you give me some personality traits? I have never cared to watch the movies or crack open the books.

One is a werewolf, the other is a vampire. Beyond that, no loving clue. My knowledge of the series really ends after the first book. Everything else I know is from general internet osmosis.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You can mark threads here with different colored stars like red and gold. What's the difference? I just want a list of favorite threads.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pookdaddy G posted:

Can you give me some personality traits?

This requires that the characters have any.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Vegetable posted:

You can mark threads here with different colored stars like red and gold. What's the difference? I just want a list of favorite threads.

Theres no difference unless you want there to be one. Its just for personal reference if you want it.

Hot Yellow KoolAid
Aug 17, 2012
Is there an A/T (or other forums) thread about volunteering information? I'm not looking for a thread with regional information about how to volunteer, but more general information about what to expect from volunteer work and how to prepare.

Specifically, I would like to know about volunteering at a Senior Center/Retirement Home. I have no experience (other than caring for my grandma with dementia), but I'm led to believe that it basically amounts to playing cards with seniors most of the time.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Hot Yellow KoolAid posted:

Specifically, I would like to know about volunteering at a Senior Center/Retirement Home. I have no experience (other than caring for my grandma with dementia), but I'm led to believe that it basically amounts to playing cards with seniors most of the time.

Call a couple places near to you and tell them this. They have a procedure in place for volunteers. You will fill out an application and they will do a background check (which you may or may not have to pay for.) Some centers have specific schedules and needs (a Tuesday 5pm BINGO caller) and others you just come in and let your charm show.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Pookdaddy G posted:

Edward is a vampire which is a sterile (heh) frozen existence. He represents himself in a gift as a diamond for her charm bracelet.

Jacob is a werewolf which is a shifting, long-lasting, but organic existence. He represents himself in a gift as a carved wooden wolf charm.

Being around vampires is being around quick, cool, precise things whereas being around werewolves is being surrounded by raucous eternally-hungry brawling joking telepathically-linked teenage brothers. Being around Edward and his family is being around someone who is agonized over her fragility, whereas being with Jacob and his friends is being treated like one of the gang in a way. I guess it's supposed to be perfect romantic love versus friendly comfortable love. The girl never fit in with people growing up, and she could choose to be who she already is with Jacob, or choose to be who she always felt she ought to be with Edward.

That's right. I read them. And I don't care if this was a trap. :colbert:

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 22, 2013

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
Awesome, thank you so much! My intent wasn't to troll anyone, but to actually discover what made the two sides different.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Burger King in Japan actually has two burger sets based on Edward and Jacob.

The Edward set is the "Herbivore Set," probably referring to the herbivorous males (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbivore_men) and the Jacob set is the "Carnivore Set." It's not strictly accurate but that's the image they have -- Edward's the lofty pretty boy and Jacob's the down-to-earth manly man.

Just an anecdote.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O come on. Now you pretty much have to give a run down of what's in these sets.

How could you leave us hanging like that?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/564122_425675630846653_877979192_n.jpg

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Suraisu?

So the Jacob set has a beef patty, and the Edward set has something about "suraisu" and a salad.

And "ringo"? I doubt they mean "apple" or the Beatle.

Can you break this down for me a bit? I haven't had to do much more than order beer in Japanese since college.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Jacob: Apple burger with two beef patties

Edward: Apple burger with two apple slices and salad instead of fries

This is as much a commentary on Japanese views of "vegetarian" as it is a commentary on Edward and Jacob's images in Japan. :P

Edit: They do actually mean apple. It's quite good.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

quote:

something about "suraisu"
Slices (of apple).

quote:

And "ringo"? I doubt they mean "apple" or the Beatle.
Yes, "apple". There's even an apple in the logo.
edit: beaten

dirby fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 22, 2013

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Well, crap. The more you know.

I just assumed I must be screwing up, because apples on burgers just seems weird.

Thanks! That's really cool.

And it looks like I desperately need to brush up on my Japanese.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Pookdaddy G posted:

Awesome, thank you so much! My intent wasn't to troll anyone, but to actually discover what made the two sides different.

I'll trust it wasn't a trap only if I don't wake up to a sparkling Don Draper avatar tomorrow. Seriously, though, I am curious why you asked since I assume you still have little interest in the books or movies and the default state of all self-respecting internet denizens is merciless derision.

--

I asked before to no avail, but it doesn't hurt to try to make the most out of a post: is there a reliable, trustworthy, effective program or method of recovering/overriding a OneNote password? I don't know enough to unfuck my system if I download something malicious, so a recommendation from someone would go a long way.

...I must know what lies behind the impassive login screen of "Misc(1)" in my Work Notebook. Probably an accidental copy of "Misc" but I won't rule out an unpublished novel of unparalleled genius written in a fugue state.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarepanda posted:

Burger King in Japan actually has two burger sets based on Edward and Jacob.

The Edward set is the "Herbivore Set," probably referring to the herbivorous males (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbivore_men) and the Jacob set is the "Carnivore Set."

I haven't read the books, but I believe that the "good vampires" call themselves herbivores because they don't drink human blood, only animals, and the werewolves literally turn into carnivores obviously.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pookdaddy G posted:

A couple years ago, the girl I was dating was really into Twilight and wanted me to go with her to the newest movie premier. I said I would, but only if I cold wear a shirt that said "Team Tyler's Van."

Early in the first book/movie some kid named Tyler almost kills Bella with a van. She is saved by Edward.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I haven't read the books, but I believe that the "good vampires" call themselves herbivores because they don't drink human blood, only animals, and the werewolves literally turn into carnivores obviously.

In what way is animal blood a vegetable?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

BonHair posted:

In what way is animal blood a vegetable?

Vampires sparkle, and otherwise plain and boring girls attract the romantic attention of two different supernatural superhot dudes. I would not think too hard on the metaphysics of Twilight.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Hey, did Google Drive do something recently to cause its icon to change? (Win 7.) It changed after the weekend on both my desktop and laptop to a green box with a white line, kind of like what you'd expect a "stock ticker" app to look like. (I was out of town and both were off from Friday night till Monday/today.)

I first saw it on my desktop and thought it was a weird, one-time thing. I went to change the icon and Windows said it couldn't find the EXE file, so I thought something was wrong. I uninstalled and reinstalled and the old icon was back.

When it did the same thing on my laptop, I changed the icon manually by pointing the explorer window to the file in programfiles (x86)\google\drive.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 22, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Liebfraumilch posted:

Edward is a vampire which is a sterile (heh) frozen existence. He represents himself in a gift as a diamond for her charm bracelet.

Jacob is a werewolf which is a shifting, long-lasting, but organic existence. He represents himself in a gift as a carved wooden wolf charm.

Being around vampires is being around quick, cool, precise things whereas being around werewolves is being surrounded by raucous eternally-hungry brawling joking telepathically-linked teenage brothers. Being around Edward and his family is being around someone who is agonized over her fragility, whereas being with Jacob and his friends is being treated like one of the gang in a way. I guess it's supposed to be perfect romantic love versus friendly comfortable love. The girl never fit in with people growing up, and she could choose to be who she already is with Jacob, or choose to be who she always felt she ought to be with Edward.

That's right. I read them. And I don't care if this was a trap. :colbert:

Wow, that sums it up really well. Thanks for that.

So... what team are you on?

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

I thought for sure there was either an A/T or PYF thread on "Help me remember x" but I can't seem to find it, if there's a better thread to ask this.

I'm trying to remember the name of a free mid/late 90s online game I used to play. It was, I think, both deathmatch and CTF, possibly with bases? There were definitely structures in the gameworld It was a clunky moving first person shooter but did have a third person view. It was sort of a blasted, standard space landscape, with varied buildings, and you played as a mech-thing and could upgrade components if I remember right.

Not an official MechWarrior/BattleTech (I just googled Multiplayer BattleTech: Solaris and the other variant, it was almost like those, but with worse graphics) game or ripoff like Heavy Gear. The mechs, or whatever you played as sort of looked like Star Wars AT-STs but the heads were more rounded and they were smaller in the game world - not as gangly. I got IP banned for arguing with a mod at some point for over 100 years, so I never played it after those first few weeks.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
It's in games.
Help us remember the name of a game!!!!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

Wotan fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 23, 2013

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Wow, that sums it up really well. Thanks for that.

So... what team are you on?

Thanks, and if you're asking what team I'm on in a Japanese McDonald's I want to try both and a shrimp fillet-o. :(

Personally, though, and maybe because Anne Rice got to me too young, I'd always take a shot at flawless indestructible immortality over any other choice. Imagine all the better books you could read and write if you had space and time opened up to you for ever.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Liebfraumilch posted:

Personally, though, and maybe because Anne Rice got to me too young, I'd always take a shot at flawless indestructible immortality over any other choice. Imagine all the better books you could read and write if you had space and time opened up to you for ever.

I can see some advantages to immortality but it would come at a price (seeing everyone you care for die etc.) I think I'd go for Jacob based on my limited knowledge of the subject.

But enough about Twilight

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What kind of things can I not bring on carry on in the continental USA flights?

I want to carry my DE razor with me and my cologne (no labeling) and toothpaste and stuff with me without having to pay an extra $25 and having to find an actual suitcase. (I leave tomorrow morning)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

No way in hell are you getting a razor into carry on anymore, hoss, sorry.

By a cheap disposable when you land and rough it for a few days?

Maybe you could just take out the blades and buy those locally? Although, I don't think that would save much if any money.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
If you want to risk it, dress in a suit, be white and gamble on them letting it through on sympathy. I used to work for an airline, it happens. But it is a guess and they are fully in their (albeit bullshit) rights to take them from you.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What kind of things can I not bring on carry on in the continental USA flights?

I want to carry my DE razor with me and my cologne (no labeling) and toothpaste and stuff with me without having to pay an extra $25 and having to find an actual suitcase. (I leave tomorrow morning)

I'd pack the body and buy the razors unless you use some exotic brand and/or are going to the middle of nowhere.

Alternatively, pack the body and ship a razor to yourself at the destination hotel or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is it ok for your boss to curse and yell at you? I mean I know that really, I should never be berated at the workplace because that's unprofessional, and I'm getting really tired of it, but is it something I can file some kind of complaint with L&I about? I'm already looking for a new job, but I want to make their lives frustrating when I do find a new job.

How about if I also very rarely get a lunch break if at all?

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 23, 2013