Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Snak posted:

edit: Also, while Anderson is a female Judge, and she shows more empathy than her male counter-part, this is almost entirely because she's a psychic and not because she's a woman. There are any number of cinematic partnerships where a female character teams up with a male character and lends "a woman's touch" with similar results as in this film, except in all of those films they don't have psychic powers, it's just because they're a woman.

I'm not saying that this film gets gender-politics right, but it definitely offers some things to think about.
I think her empathy does come from her being psychic, but also from the simple fact that she came from a Block-environment and not being a vat-grown, by-the-book robot like Dredd. I think the simple fact that she is human lends her a sympathetic lean that Dredd could not have (though he starts to pick up a human side later in the comics.) Honestly, I think that all rookies would be sympathetic to the plight of the average citizen, not just the psychic or female ones. Only by putting aside that empathy though, can a Judge survive the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Where were the robots? Granted, they weren't involved with the story at all, but for a city with 95% unemployment because of robot labor, there was a distinct lack of robots. Christ, even the Stallone version had robots!

Wasn't the meat wagon a robot?

Also, the movie took place inside of one slum building, so I don't find it that strange that 99% of the people we see are thugs and the poor.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I don't like the design of Dredd motorcycle. I wished they went for the comic look. Maybe make the wheels narrower to be practical on the road.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

berzerkmonkey posted:

]The hostage scene in the beginning - this would have been a great scene where Dredd shoots through the hostage to kill the perp. "You shot me, Judge!" "Correction citizen - I shot through you. Your assistance will be noted."

Stop ripping off Robocop scenes for your weird terrible fantasy Dredd script.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The lack of robots, and the lack of futuristic guns and vehicles, is pretty understandable given the low budget. And it doesn't mean those things don't exist in this world, since we just see really poor areas anyway.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Red posted:

Also, the movie took place inside of one slum building, so I don't find it that strange that 99% of the people we see are thugs and the poor.

It's not exactly that much of a leap considering Megacity One is on the east coast. :sun:

penismightier posted:

Stop ripping off Robocop scenes for your weird terrible fantasy Dredd script.

I thought Robocop was inspired by Dredd.

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 22, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think her empathy does come from her being psychic, but also from the simple fact that she came from a Block-environment and not being a vat-grown, by-the-book robot like Dredd. I think the simple fact that she is human lends her a sympathetic lean that Dredd could not have (though he starts to pick up a human side later in the comics.) Honestly, I think that all rookies would be sympathetic to the plight of the average citizen, not just the psychic or female ones. Only by putting aside that empathy though, can a Judge survive the streets.
Empathy makes cops better at their jobs. Maybe it has no use when you're fighting off an army of gangbangers, but in routine situations, appreciating how the citizens involved are feeling allows you to defuse dangerous situations, resolve petty disputes that are not worth the courts' time, and maintain good relations with the public.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Whatever gave you that idea?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Alcholism Rocks posted:

That's completely immaterial to him writing a fantasy remake of this movie in his head, full of jokes from Robocop.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I thought Robocop was inspired by Jesus.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I thought Robocop was inspired by Jesus.

...now I really want to see Paul Verhoeven's "Passion of the Christ"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

penismightier posted:

That's completely immaterial to him writing a fantasy remake of this movie in his head, full of jokes from Robocop.
I'm not sure if you ever read the comic, but that actually happened in a Dredd strip, so I don't know where you're getting the Robocop thing from. I guess maybe Robocop lifted the idea? But whatever - Dredd didn't have the wit that makes the comic so enjoyable.

Oh, no doubt, and I fully appreciate that. But the whole thing about the Judge system is that they have to be heartless (or have evolved to the point of fascism) in order to maintain control. Of course, this brings up a whole other set of issues that the comic deals with later, in stories like America.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some good news - inching closer to a sequel? :)

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=PR&Date=20130122&ID=16019857&industry=IND_MEDIA&isub

LIONSGATE HOME ENTERTAINMENT'S DREDD TOPS SALES CHARTS IN 3-D BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, BIGGEST HOME ENTERTAINMENT NEW RELEASE OF THE YEAR

quote:

The verdict is in and Lionsgate LGF, a leading global entertainment company, announced today that the home entertainment release of DREDD claimed the number one spot on the DVD sell-through and Blu-ray charts with 650,000 units sold, making it the best-selling new release title of the year. Blu-ray units accounted for nearly 50% of week 1 POS at retail. In addition, the critically acclaimed thriller, starring Karl Urban (Star Trek) as the titular character Judge Dredd, was the top film download for the week, outpacing all other titles in digital sales as well.

Adapted by Alex Garland from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's legendary comic book and released in a stunning 3-D Blu-ray, DREDD adds to Lionsgate's long history of theatrical titles that have overconverted their box office performance on Blu-ray, DVD and digital. Lionsgate continues to lead the industry in DVD-to-box office conversion rates.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Good times

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I hope we get the proper Judges uniform in the sequel (if it ever happens). Even if it is too corny for the screen, it would work as some sort of Judges dress uniform.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

keep punching joe posted:

I hope we get the proper Judges uniform in the sequel (if it ever happens). Even if it is too corny for the screen, it would work as some sort of Judges dress uniform.

That would be pretty sweet. Even if there was just like, a statue of a Judge that was in comics-style attire that would be awesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

LIONSGATE HOME ENTERTAINMENT'S DREDD TOPS SALES CHARTS IN 3-D BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, BIGGEST HOME ENTERTAINMENT NEW RELEASE OF THE YEAR

Now when they say "of the year," do they mean "of the past three weeks?"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Now when they say "of the year," do they mean "of the past three weeks?"

Undoubtedly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

In the comics, Anderson is pretty much the only one you ever see.

You frequently see Judge Shenker, who became the head of Psi-Division after Omar died. There's also Corey and Janus, both of whom are/were very significant characters. Mostly it is Anderson, though, because we see Psi-Division through her in the same way we see Judges on the street through Dredd.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm starting to think the best joke in the film is in how Anderson spares that one guy, because she sees that he was forced to do bad things and is therefore a victim.

You know it actually makes sense given how much the telegraphed who the technician was throughout the entire movie. Admittedly, it does bring up the weird question as to how the technician managed to obtain cybernetic eyes.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

MadScientistWorking posted:

You know it actually makes sense given how much the telegraphed who the technician was throughout the entire movie. Admittedly, it does bring up the weird question as to how the technician managed to obtain cybernetic eyes.

I think the joke SMG was getting at was how most crime is a function of poverty. This would ring especially true in MegaCityOne's world of 94% unemployment.

Letting the operator go because she saw him being coerced at gunpoint is pretty funny in its directness while she's going around and blasting away at everyone else who faces nearly the same level of coercion from economic and societal constructs. She's blinded to the inherent coercion of a system she furthers, giving herself this moral satisfaction of tossing one fish back into the pond after she and Dredd have been dynamite fishing all day in a pond their employers have been dumping oil into for decades. The real destruction is already done, extensively arbitrary, and so vast as to make "the one they let go" a complete joke.

It's a joke that goes hand in hand with her "more humane" mental torture opposed to the physical brutality of Dread.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

You do realise that this uniform we see is the original Dredd uniform we got in '77 right?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

He was the guy Ma-Ma blinded by jabbing her thumbs in his eyes. Anderson "saw" the incident when she was reading him. He might have been some low level hacker that she "gifted" with a new set of eyes (thus binding him into her service.)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

berzerkmonkey posted:

He was the guy Ma-Ma blinded by jabbing her thumbs in his eyes. Anderson "saw" the incident when she was reading him. He might have been some low level hacker that she "gifted" with a new set of eyes (thus binding him into her service.)
I got that whole entire thing. Its just that I guess I'm not familiar enough with the Dredd universe to know of whether or not cybernetics like that was completely normal or not.

quote:

Letting the operator go because she saw him being coerced at gunpoint is pretty funny in its directness while she's going around and blasting away at everyone else who faces nearly the same level of coercion from economic and societal constructs.
I'm going to have to watch it again but I thought the whole part with Anderson letting him go wasn't the fact that he was coerced at gunpoint more than he was tortured by having his eyeballs gouged out of his eye sockets. Then there was the scene were Ma-Ma looked like she was going to gut him like a fish and only later do you realize that yes she was going probably gut him like a fish if he failed.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 22, 2013

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Some good news - inching closer to a sequel? :)

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=PR&Date=20130122&ID=16019857&industry=IND_MEDIA&isub

That is the best news you could hope for with this movie. Hopefully it pushes it over the 50$mil profits the movie needs for a sequel. I still need to buy my copy.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Another Person posted:

That is the best news you could hope for with this movie. Hopefully it pushes it over the 50$mil profits the movie needs for a sequel. I still need to buy my copy.

Please buy it.. dont borrow it from a friend, just buy it.

For some reason, this is a film no one saw at the cinema, but are all buying on dvd /blu ray. Weird. Maybe its a Brit thing and everyone knows of dredd in one form or another.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I like how the quote from the VP doesn't go anywhere near touching on the truth that they totally botched the marketing for the theatrical release and just talks about "ability to monetize theatrical titles across all home entertainment platforms".

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Please buy it.. dont borrow it from a friend, just buy it.

For some reason, this is a film no one saw at the cinema, but are all buying on dvd /blu ray. Weird. Maybe its a Brit thing and everyone knows of dredd in one form or another.

Don't forget this movie squeezed in between big name summer blockbusters and holiday releases. It had to contend with audiences either burned out from the theater or were more interested in the more hyped up (and advertised) movies.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I bought the bluray full price, which I never do, out of solidarity for the franchise... This film felt like a proof of concept and I'd hate to see it end here. I did see it at the cinema as well though.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

I got that whole entire thing. Its just that I guess I'm not familiar enough with the Dredd universe to know of whether or not cybernetics like that was completely normal or not.

They're unusual, but not unheard of in the comics. Renegade Judges get sent to a penal colony on Titan and have some pretty extensive modifications done to their body to survive, for example.

I'm going to have to watch it again but I thought the whole part with Anderson letting him go wasn't the fact that he was coerced at gunpoint more than he was tortured by having his eyeballs gouged out of his eye sockets. Then there was the scene were Ma-Ma looked like she was going to gut him like a fish and only later do you realize that yes she was going probably gut him like a fish if he failed.

I think they let him go because he was basically being held hostage, tortured, didn't try to fight the Judges, and even offered to help them when they showed up in his room.

Like someone said earlier, Dredd might have done the same thing if he knew what Anderson did. I mean he's pretty lenient with 'Futsies', so I could see him going easy on someone that had been through what the hacker had. Especially since he never personally tried to kill them.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Baron Bifford posted:

People have mentioned Dredd's use of the incendiary attack as an example of his brutality, but that occasion is better viewed as a combat manoeuvre, not a proper execution (even though the penalty for attacking a Judge is death). Dredd was on a battlefied; the thugs weren't disarmed and cuffed, waiting to be judged at leisure. He was outnumbered and they were closing in on him, so he used a decoy to lure them out into the open and cluster them around one spot, then flank them and hit them with an area-of-effect attack. The standard execution Judges use is a bullet to the head, which is quick and painless, but is only done on a prisoner who has been disarmed and captured.

Dredd knows how to properly subdue an enemy hiding in a civilian population:

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this. I just picked up the Dredd bluray and I cant seem to be able to change the menu options for the audio. Each time I try and switch audio options it just jumps back to the main menu. Anyone else had this problem?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You do realise that this uniform we see is the original Dredd uniform we got in '77 right?

It had some of the elements, like the very tiny eagle, and the badge. But it was more reminiscent of current tactical armour, or riot gear.

Even in the olden times Dredd's outfit was pretty defined.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

It had some of the elements, like the very tiny eagle, and the badge. But it was more reminiscent of current tactical armour, or riot gear.

Dunno, I thought the movie outfit did a good job and was quite faithful to the comics. Yeah, it's a bit more like modern motorcycle leathers instead of an out-and-out gimp suit (one of the the original models/inspirations for Dredd's look being Frankenstein from Death Race 2000, who wore an actual gimp suit), but the fact that it looked like riot gear split the difference pretty well between the skin-tight suit of the earlier comics and the gobs of ribbed armor panels from later versions. It looked just grounded enough in current trends to be believable.

The only bit of prop design work that I disliked was the Lawgiver, which I thought looked a bit fakey and clunky (ir was it not clunky enough?). The bike also looked a little lame, but eh.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Actors playing Judges would need male model physiques to make that costume look good. Most people have a much flatter, squatter body shape which would not look good in figure hugging materials. The film costume goes for an augmented biker outfit which I think is fairly fitting - the plates aren't meant to be ballistic armour, they're plastic shock absorbing sections like you'd see on certain extreme sports suits.

This film makes the Judges' costumes visually distinctive by making them appear relatively worn and drabby, compared to the bright, clean colours worn by virtually everyone else. That's quite an interesting step in itself.

Edit:

quote:

The only bit of prop design work that I disliked was the Lawgiver, which I thought looked a bit fakey and clunky (ir was it not clunky enough?).

It's actually a working pistol (a Glock with tons of extra stuff). There's a cutaway view in the extras which shows they even put thought into how the shot selector would work.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kegluneq posted:

Actors playing Judges would need male model physiques to make that costume look good. Most people have a much flatter, squatter body shape which would not look good in figure hugging materials. The film costume goes for an augmented biker outfit which I think is fairly fitting - the plates aren't meant to be ballistic armour, they're plastic shock absorbing sections like you'd see on certain extreme sports suits.

This film makes the Judges' costumes visually distinctive by making them appear relatively worn and drabby, compared to the bright, clean colours worn by virtually everyone else. That's quite an interesting step in itself.

Dunno, they could be ballistic armor, too. It is the future, after all. But yeah, the point of the suit is the same reason most other comic book movies forgo the skintight spandex - it looks kind of silly, which detracts from the gritty feel they're shooting for. Also, probably the stuntmen appreciate the protection.

Kegluneq posted:

It's actually a working pistol (a Glock with tons of extra stuff). There's a cutaway view in the extras which shows they even put thought into how the shot selector would work.

I know it's a Glock with a bunch of plant-ons on it. That might be one reason that the proportions are kind of awkward-looking. Especially that placement of the second magazine-looking thing in front of the trigger assembly.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 23, 2013

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

penismightier posted:

Shanty posted:

Yeah what your average MegaCity dweller needs is for The Law to literally read their minds. That's what was missing from the Judge, Jury and Executioner trifecta. Absolute surveillance. This is what the movie is trying to communicate.

"Let's see what you've got in there, perp. One month ago you crossed the street at a red light. Jaywalking. One week in the iso-cubes. Five years ago you dropped a piece of gum. Littering. Two months in the iso-cubes. Ten years ago you found a credit chip in the street and did not report the find. Theft. Two years in the iso-cubes. Twelve years ago, you bumped into an old woman, knocking her over and causing her to drop her bag of groceries. Violent assault and vandalism. Five years in the iso-cubes. And when you saw me coming, you tried to run away. Evasion of Justice. Ten years in the iso-cubes. And now you just thought about shooting me with my own gun. Intent to kill a Judge. Death."

Last panel especially ;)

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 23, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
As a Brit, I loved the Brit Cit stories.

Mega-City One.. but in Britain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Dredd Thread OP is now up. Please enjoy responsibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

marktheando posted:

The lack of robots, and the lack of futuristic guns and vehicles, is pretty understandable given the low budget. And it doesn't mean those things don't exist in this world, since we just see really poor areas anyway.

Yeah a good amount of the look was driven by the somewhat low movie budget requiring to do things such as adapting a modern city fill in for a Mega city.

I suppose the cheesy Stallone Dredd movie was in many ways much closer to the look of the comics and the wider range of colors.

• Locked thread