Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Another thing I've been curious about... Are any of you musicians? I play drums, and my biggest fear for the next 5 years is not having the chance to play. Moving around and living in barracks/on carriers seems like it would cut those opportunities. I've always wanted to get better at guitar, so I plan on picking one up and bringing it with me, but my real passion (and where all my talent lies) is percussion. Someone said earlier they started a band. How did practice space etc work out? Are my drums going to be covered in a thick 5 year layer of dust?

For me it was entirely dependent on knowing people, having my own connections, and being on an aircraft carrier. I worked in AIMD so we had access to the mezzanine (open air space that overlooks hangar bay 1) and the lounge in my shop. Since two of my bandmates were MCs we had access to the TV studio for jam sessions. We didn't have a drum kit. Our "drummer" mashed buttons on a sixteen pad drum machine and did a loving awesome job of it. Your drums will only be covered in dust if you don't use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

We're only semi-joking. Marrying dudes doesn't count though unfortunately otherwise the whole military would be married to a dude.

But wait until you join. Everyone is married. It's usually a train wreck that involves multiple kids and her loving Jody while you're on deployment.

Marine reg is single e-6 and above get it. Alas every e-2 gets married to the first chick he meets. There's maybe two e-5s here that aren't married out of about 40-50 if I had to guess.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

FYI being a single debt-free E-5 owns.

e: just not at whidbey :(

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I just waked and baked so I'm not my sharpest-- you guys are being ironic when you suggest getting married for sweet BAH money, right?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's just like free money!

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

I just waked and baked so I'm not my sharpest-- you guys are being ironic when you suggest getting married for sweet BAH money, right?

I'm not, I'm dead serious. But I want to make it clear it should be with someone you trust who has their own life outside of being a military spouse, preferably with a career, and who you can be honest with

The career comes I to play because everything is easier with two incomes! Plus it won't foster a sense of dependcy on the navy, or the sailor

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Prenup?

Does the Military legal office do those? :lol:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Marry your Manti Te'o girlfriend if you can pull it off.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Marry a stripper and give her a general power of attorney.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I actually had to convince two dudes in my platoon this week to not marry strippers for that sweet, sweet, BAH. And like I told them, I will tell you all now.

Once you marry that stripper, crack head, waitress, ditch digger, whatever, they have got you by the balls. You have committed BAH fraud, and all it takes is for them to spaz out, blackmail you, whatever, and next thing you know, CID is coming around and asking you some pointed questions. Of course you spoke about this poo poo over text messages which she'll be happy to bust out on you, and if you thought that living in the barracks with lovely money was taking the big green weenie, the big green weenie is about to feel like you are getting fingered by an elephant.

But if you MUST, if you absolutely MUST do it (and you shouldn't), you need to find someone who will be on the hook just as much as you. That waitress or stripper hasn't got as much to lose as you do. So you need someone on the hook as much as you. Say, a 3rd year nursing student. Someone in med school. A government employee. Someone who having fraud on their record is going to gently caress them just as much as you.

And what happens this week? One of them is marrying someone in the air force reserve. God bless the little privates, they are learning.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
Just try to meet nice smart women and maybe you'll fall in love :shobon:

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
For the love of God, don't get married just for BAH. This is retarded in so many ways, all of which will end badly for you. At the very least if you get a paper marriage, you are never ever going to be able to date openly. What decent woman is going to date you when you have to start every relationship with "Oh I'm legally married by the way hope you don't mind." I don't know about the other services, but the Army tends to crucify people who commit BAH fraud. Not only are you risking punishment but you're exposing yourself to potential financial headache down the road: what happens when you decide it's time to part ways because you want a real relationship or marriage and she decides she doesn't want to give up her share of the cut, healthcare, etc? Is it worth potentially paying alimony/losing a portion of your retirement to her? poo poo, I can't believe people even have to be explained that this is a stupid loving idea.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It is a bad idea to commit BAH fraud but holy loving fuckballs does the military go out of it's way to make it attractive. Still don't recommend it but when you're standing outside your room at 4 AM for the third time that month and some dickbag NCO is bitching you out for having trash in your trashcan it's really, really god drat tempting.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

uh I've never once heard of someone getting busted for "BAH fraud." I'm not encouraging marriage or anything but I don't think it's something someone would go out of there way to bust you for. It very well may exist but yeah

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Christoff posted:

uh I've never once heard of someone getting busted for "BAH fraud." I'm not encouraging marriage or anything but I don't think it's something someone would go out of there way to bust you for. It very well may exist but yeah

Oh it exists budday

My friend married a russian girl as a scam, they scrutinized it pretty heavily tbqh

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I always thought BAH fraud was collecting a check for BAH, but then still living in the barracks, or something similar.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sir Lucius posted:

I always thought BAH fraud was collecting a check for BAH, but then still living in the barracks, or something similar.

That or making a fake lease to keep BAH during deployments usually(used to work pretty well though I guess it depends who sees it I dunno)

I think even a few female sub schoolers got busted for some sort of BAH fraud fairly recently

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've seen one dude get busted for BAH fraud and it wasn't pretty. He was also a colossal retard, so it's entirely possible he opened his mouth too much.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I had far more money in the bank account when I was single and living in the dorms. At least for the first year or two I was married.

Being actually married and furnishing / keeping up a house is a fuckload more expensive than dorm living with a free chowhall.

10 years ago the basic pay for a young enlisted guy weren't exactly stellar. When I joined I got $1,050 a month. I think after all the taxes and what not I was getting something like $390 a paycheck. After 2 years I was an E-3 making $1,442 a month.

Now if a guy joins up as an E-1 he makes $1,516 a month from the day he swears in, and after 2 years as an E-3 he'll be making $1,900 a month. And a lot of the services have their guys at E-4 by 2 years these days. That's $2,081 a month.

You can seriously save a ton of money by staying single and in the barracks/dorms. Though the freedom from not having to deal with barracks/dorm poo poo might be worth more than that to you.

I left the military (retired) with a very large amount of money saved up, and invested. It's pretty easy to do with just a modicum of fiscal discipline.. Nobody should be leaving service without at the very least, 10k in savings. Preferably a gently caress load more than that. Married or not, really. Though for full disclosure, I had a pretty good enlistment/re-enlistment bonus.. it was probably much easier for me to save up as much as I did with those two things. I hear the enlistment/re-enlistment bonuses aren't what they once were these days.

Edit: I've seen a lot of dudes get busted for BAH fraud, at my joint assignment they were almost always Navy, so I dunno. But yeah-- it's usually pretty obvious who is committing fraud and who isn't. You'd have to have next to no real relationships with the people you work with to pull it off.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I dunno I can see saving money if you can swing getting BAS. $330 is a lot of cash.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
You can be married and still do alright, but you have to have a wife who is not worthless, and can get a good job (not aafes), zero kids, and not insist on a brand new 2013 Camaro SS or some poo poo. Live within your means. But thats too hard!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

See where it's at is being RC and getting to live in the barracks and collect full BAH while on active duty orders. $400 rent, $9xx BAH. :smug:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

If you marry a girl right out of high school and keep her self esteem low enough that she believes no one else would love her, you basically have a live in maid and cook who doesn't talk back. Bonus points if you find one from a developing country you can threaten to send her back to if she mouths off.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Hekk posted:

If you marry a girl right out of high school and keep her self esteem low enough that she believes no one else would love her, you basically have a live in maid and cook who doesn't talk back. Bonus points if you find one from a developing country you can threaten to send her back to if she mouths off.

This guy knows what's up.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
You should marry for love. :)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Well, I love Anal.

So it worked out.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Especially since it will lead to money and off base housing

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011
Prior enlisted, E4 US Navy, trying to get back into active duty without going directly back to the navy. I went to see an Army Recruiter and he told me the only way for me to get into the army was as a Special Forces candidate recruit and that I had to pass some crazy PT test to get in, I told him he was silly.

I'm just looking to get back on Active Duty so I can chill out, work, and use some TA, anyone know what branch will take me and possibly give me new job? Something cool, non forward, I got deployed with the Army last time and ended up working a checkpoint near Baghdad, do not wish to repeat too soon.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

See if the Army will take you as a 35P.

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011

DoktorLoken posted:

See if the Army will take you as a 35P.

He said the only job open to Prior Enlisted is that Special Forces Candidate nonsense.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That's not a specific regulation or anything that I've ever heard of. Try a different recruiter at a different station? He may just be trying to hit a quota and feeding you a line of bullshit.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, they are still offering enlisting bonuses for 35P, so I don't think that they would be turning people away.

Although, you know, Army.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Hey EOD dudes, give me some comparisons on USN vs Army EOD programs, its for a secret project

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

SumYungGui posted:

That's not a specific regulation or anything that I've ever heard of. Try a different recruiter at a different station? He may just be trying to hit a quota and feeding you a line of bullshit.

Uh its mostly true, depends on what your MOS was in the USN, if it doesnt translate to anything in the Army that is currently open, then Special Forces could very well be the only option.

here is a copy of the message which states this USAREC Msg 12-230:
http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/showthread.php/24174-Latest-call-to-active-duty-message

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Hey EOD dudes, give me some comparisons on USN vs Army EOD programs, its for a secret project

Not EOD, but we have an EOD detachment on aircraft carriers that basically chills in hangar bay one and lifts weights and fucks deck chicks for eight months. They also rappel off the mezzanine and play with robots. Not sure what your secret project is, but good luck selling Army EOD fwiw.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

MancXVI posted:

Not EOD, but we have an EOD detachment on aircraft carriers that basically chills in hangar bay one and lifts weights and fucks deck chicks for eight months. They also rappel off the mezzanine and play with robots. Not sure what your secret project is, but good luck selling Army EOD fwiw.

Such an insightful post, Im sure that was all he needed

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

MancXVI posted:

I can't beat that

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Manc just did the job a thousand navy recruiters never could.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
I have a couple questions regarding the airforce. I really truly love flying. I am close to recieving my pilots license (PPL) and I would love to do it commercially but its just so drat expensive. Someone mentioned the airforce as a route to go to get fully certified for more or less free (obviously there is a lot of time commitment so its not really free per se). I am going to be stopping by a recruiters office for the airforce in a couple days just to talk, I won't be signing or agreeing to anything.

I am 23, I am about to graduate from my univerisity with a degree I hate, and all I want to do is fly. How realistic is it to expect such a thing out of the military? I don't want to be a fighter pilot, more transport kinda stuff. I don't really ever want to shoot at anyone, or even be shot at really. I'm sure I'm probably exactly the kind of person who shouldn't be interested in enlisting so please tell me so, so I can let this fantasy die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I have a couple questions regarding the airforce. I really truly love flying. I am close to recieving my pilots license (PPL) and I would love to do it commercially but its just so drat expensive. Someone mentioned the airforce as a route to go to get fully certified for more or less free (obviously there is a lot of time commitment so its not really free per se). I am going to be stopping by a recruiters office for the airforce in a couple days just to talk, I won't be signing or agreeing to anything.

I am 23, I am about to graduate from my univerisity with a degree I hate, and all I want to do is fly. How realistic is it to expect such a thing out of the military? I don't want to be a fighter pilot, more transport kinda stuff. I don't really ever want to shoot at anyone, or even be shot at really. I'm sure I'm probably exactly the kind of person who shouldn't be interested in enlisting so please tell me so, so I can let this fantasy die.

If you wind up somehow making through all the physicals and flight school and all the other poo poo you have go through, one of the requirements for being a transport plane pilot is talking like a redneck trucker.

• Locked thread