Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

:smith:

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

DDP is awesome just for doing it, but this is not the first miracle turn around Jake Roberts has experienced, so we need to wait a bit to see if this is legit. I can't believe he hasn't gotten his own reality TV series for this though.

He tried for the Oprah Network.

I have no idea if the Oprah Network even exists anymore.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
Here's a question.

Anyone have any idea where in Cancun, Mexico I could watch the Royal Rumble? I'm going on vacation and would love to watch it at a Blast Area, but Google has failed me thus far.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

IT's okay, he was making an Archer reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XWgoJT1xPU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Wrestling question: how much does ordering the Rumble on pay-per-view usually cost? It's the Australia Day holiday here on Monday so sitting around drinking and yelling at the TV is pretty much mandatory, but I can't access my cable provider website at work to check what they're charging. Like, what ballpark can I expect?

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
45 US$, I don't know if it's any different down under.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

This question is probably going to be better geared to MRP, but around late 06, ROH stopped using The New Yorker as their go-to venue in NYC when they got access to the Manhattan Center. Is there a reason why no other semi-major indy fed has tried to run the New Yorker? What was the general attendance level for the venue, if known?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Cena posted:

This question is probably going to be better geared to MRP, but around late 06, ROH stopped using The New Yorker as their go-to venue in NYC when they got access to the Manhattan Center. Is there a reason why no other semi-major indy fed has tried to run the New Yorker? What was the general attendance level for the venue, if known?

It's expensive to run NY and ROH is really the only group that could run Manhattan, draw 6-700 in a venue and make money on the deal. DGUSA has tried, but they had to do that whole supperclub angle. Other groups don't charge high enough ticket prices to justify it.

It's a really small room, and 700 (with standing room) might be generous. If a group is going to run NY they'll either skip Manhattan, do some sort of a tie in, or try to run a cheaper largeish venue like NJPW did. That venue was pretty much a dead ringer for Basketball City, where ROH ran briefly in 05/06.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sears Poncho posted:

45 US$, I don't know if it's any different down under.

Thanks man. I honestly haven't been this excited for a PPV for a while, but this year's :siren:ROYAL loving RUMBLE:siren: has me pumped. Home now and I've checked it; it's $35 from my provider. No excuse not to get it now!

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
£15 for me, which is $23.79 :cheers:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

MassRayPer posted:

DDP is awesome just for doing it, but this is not the first miracle turn around Jake Roberts has experienced, so we need to wait a bit to see if this is legit. I can't believe he hasn't gotten his own reality TV series for this though.

I've heard his relapse back during his second stint in the WWF was partially due to Vince making him due a segment in a bar or something surrounded by open containers of real booze as a "test" or something to that effect. Wikipedia says it was because WWE wanted to transition him into an agent role when he felt he could still go in the ring but I know I've heard that other version too. Maybe a combination of both?

Actually does anyone have that segment if it's in fact real and my dumb brain not confusing things?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Not sure about Jake, but they definitely did that with Hall. Stone Cold gave him a beer bath.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
They did a segment where King doused Jake in a bottle of Jack Daniels.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
What was the online bookmaker that took bets on Wrestlemania a few years ago, with odds determined almost entirely by kayfabe?

Are the odds still availible anywhere? The only thing I can remember is thousands of smarks taking the "sure bet" on Jerry Lawler beating Michael Cole, only to get swerved out of their money.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

LividLiquid posted:

Not sure about Jake, but they definitely did that with Hall. Stone Cold gave him a beer bath.

I thought that wasn't Jake it was Eddie vs Stone Cold in the bar brawl.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
When did HHH go from being full-time to a part-time worker?

If business got worse, or someone (Cena) got hurt, would he return to full-time?

Yes, things are bad enough on TV right now that I want HHH to come back. :(

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Red posted:

If business got worse, or someone (Cena) got hurt, would he return to full-time?

I think things are pretty good if you ignore Cena winning all the time. He's for the kids, man, not us.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tyma posted:

What was the online bookmaker that took bets on Wrestlemania a few years ago, with odds determined almost entirely by kayfabe?

Are the odds still availible anywhere? The only thing I can remember is thousands of smarks taking the "sure bet" on Jerry Lawler beating Michael Cole, only to get swerved out of their money.

Bovada/Bodog takes bets on WM, I made some money last year by betting on Kane and the Rock. I'm sure in the UK it shouldn't be that hard for you considering that whenever I watch a stream of commercial UK TV half the ads are for online bookies.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

paint dry posted:

I think things are pretty good if you ignore Cena winning all the time. He's for the kids, man, not us.

Yeah I probably would have loved Raw if I turned it off when I saw Cena coming to the ring.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

When he got more and more power backstage and that was taking up all his time. He went corporate.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bobkatt013 posted:

When he got more and more power backstage and that was taking up all his time. He went corporate.

What I mean is: around what time or major storyline/angle was HHH's last as a full-timer?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Red posted:

What I mean is: around what time or major storyline/angle was HHH's last as a full-timer?

2009, probably? He had a feud with Orton/Legacy then but I don't remember if he was constantly around.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Swagger Dagger posted:

2009, probably? He had a feud with Orton/Legacy then but I don't remember if he was constantly around.

That feud was great. It had Shane beating up Legacy with phantom punches and then HHH motor boating .

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Frot Lesnar posted:

I thought that wasn't Jake it was Eddie vs Stone Cold in the bar brawl.

Could it have been Booker T vs Stone Cold in the supermarket?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Corzaa posted:

Could it have been Booker T vs Stone Cold in the supermarket?

Colonel Mustard vs Professor Plum in the Dining Room in a Noose on a Pole match.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I probably would have loved Raw if I turned it off when I saw Cena coming to the ring.

I'm advocating everyone does this and we'll all be less angry about WWE when its overall in a great place. Even if Cena's feuding with a guy you're a fan of, say... Dolph Ziggler or CM Punk, Cena will ruin it so don't watch it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I Before E posted:

Colonel Mustard vs Professor Plum in the Dining Room in a Noose on a Pole match.

MISS SCARLET WITH THE RUN IN

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I Before E posted:

Woudn't that be Undertaker vs Bossman in hell in a cell? Or Mike Awesome vs Depression?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

rotinaj posted:

IT's okay, he was making an Archer reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XWgoJT1xPU

You realize that if Russo had been in the WWE in 2007, we would have gotten a Benoit/Mahoney tag team?

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

ThatCguy posted:

You realize that if Russo had been in the WWE in 2007, we would have gotten a Benoit/Mahoney tag team?

To be fair, it would have been cool to see a tag team called The Ball Cripplers.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I just read this week's Kayfabe News, and I have to wonder :

Are there any memorable moments where a wrestler has humiliated another with an intentionally lovely manouvre? I'm not talking roll-ups, I'm talking one wrestler beating the crap out of the other to the point where he can obviously can't continue, and then pinning him with a rookie manouvre like a bodyslam or an armbar. It seems like something Jericho or Austin's characters would do, but outside of Jericho pinning people with one foot, I can't remember it ever really happening.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Red posted:

At the end of 2009 he was feuding with Jeri-show (as DX) over the tag titles. Then DX more or less broke-up because Shawn was obsessed with getting a rematch against Taker at Wrestlemania 26, which wound up being HBK's retirement match. At the same time HHH began fighting with Sheamus over Sheamus wanting to assert himself as the new top dog or something, this ended with Sheamus taking HHH out at Extreme Rules with a lead pipe. That was the end of full-time HHH.

Since then HHH has only been back part-time for a handful of story lines. He came back for HHH/Taker at WM27, left again and came back as the new CEO when Vince got fired from the fall out of Cena/Punk and stuck around for that awful Punk/HHH/Nash storyline which finally ended at TLC. Then he left and came back a few months later for HHH/Taker at WM28, then left and came back again for the feud with Brock.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

To be fair, it would have been cool to see a tag team called The Ball Cripplers.

Toothless Aggression would have also worked, especially since they made that shirt for Benoit anyway.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Mr_Zombie posted:

2) Whose idea was The Executioner? Since it's funner to ask here than it is to Google it, who was The Executioner?

It was a collaborative effort between Ty and Buzz

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Do the wrestlers that star in WWE movie productions become members of SAG (Screen Actors Guild) or whatever it changed its name to? That would complicate WWEs exploitation of them wouldn't it?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Supreme Allah posted:

Do the wrestlers that star in WWE movie productions become members of SAG (Screen Actors Guild) or whatever it changed its name to? That would complicate WWEs exploitation of them wouldn't it?

That involves being a member of a union. So I can say with authority, no they don't.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Merlot Brougham posted:

It was a collaborative effort between Ty and Buzz

:golfclap:
Loved that loving game.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

VogeGandire posted:

That involves being a member of a union. So I can say with authority, no they don't.
Considering the fact that they're doing movies with SAG members, I'd argue that it's probable (though not certain) that they did. SAG has nothing to do with live event stunt shows like wrestling yet. My being under permit to IATSE, to use myself as an example, didn't entitle me to union wages or benefits when performed other work not under the IATSE umbrella.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They probably have to join but that has nothing to do with wrestling whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

Considering the fact that they're doing movies with SAG members, I'd argue that it's probable (though not certain) that they did. SAG has nothing to do with live event stunt shows like wrestling yet. My being under permit to IATSE, to use myself as an example, didn't entitle me to union wages or benefits when performed other work not under the IATSE umbrella.

Do you get to buy into a group health insurance plan? I thought that was a big benefit of SAG. (I think I got this from a Friends episode)