Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philanthropy!
Nov 8, 2012

RIDE A NEW BIKE, BECAUSE MORE HORSEPOWER EQUALS SAFER THAN

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Also, why does celebrities that ride always use a 3/4 helmet and non-existant protective gear? You'd think it might be convenient to use a full face helmet so you could, you know, ride without everyone recognising you?

Because most celebrities are loving cool and good looking. They set the trends and people follow them. Leave the ATGATT (whatever) bullshit to the loser nerds who go into an apoplexy at the thought of not gearing up for riding anything more devastating than a Big Wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Of course, it's a beemer. Also, why does celebrities that ride always use a 3/4 helmet and non-existant protective gear? You'd think it might be convenient to use a full face helmet so you could, you know, ride without everyone recognising you?

Yes, but that's a $1000 boutique French helmet and it only comes in 3/4, so what are you going to do, wear something that's not boutique and imported from France?

http://www.ateliersruby.com/

(I have to confess that though I can instantly identify the helmet and bike I don't actually know who the rider is.)

e: ah holy poo poo Ruby finally made a full-face helmet. I guess that's not a valid excuse any more

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
That helmet looks like it belongs with one of those chromed out scooters with a huge windshield :barf:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Philanthropy! posted:

Because most celebrities are loving cool and good looking. They set the trends and people follow them. Leave the ATGATT (whatever) bullshit to the loser nerds who go into an apoplexy at the thought of not gearing up for riding anything more devastating than a Big Wheel.

Counterpoint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Busey

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Philanthropy! posted:

Just seems smart to protect your assets when 99% of your work depends on you not looking like someone took a belt sander to your face (or rear end for that matter). But then again, I guess they aren't lovely enough riders to crash on straights and poo poo, right?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Just seems smart to protect your assets when 99% of your work depends on you not looking like someone took a belt sander to your face (or rear end for that matter). But then again, I guess they aren't lovely enough riders to crash on straights and poo poo, right?

Goddamn it, every time somebody does this he goes and hides for a little while, lets all please try to maintain the fiction we don't know who he is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

High Protein posted:

That helmet looks like it belongs with one of those chromed out scooters with a huge windshield :barf:

That's exactly the point, I think.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's more like they aren't doing anything at all but riding slowly in a straight line between the trendy boutique and the place their manager trailered the motorcycle to that is just out of sight of the paparazzi. Here's the Biebster on his Ducati, note the rear tire:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Riding in pants made out of black plastic doesn't seem like a great idea.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The "training" video always leaves me with questions I know will never be answered.

Of course, it's a beemer. Also, why does celebrities that ride always use a 3/4 helmet and non-existant protective gear? You'd think it might be convenient to use a full face helmet so you could, you know, ride without everyone recognising you?

vvvv It's Tricia Helfer.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The "training" video always leaves me with questions I know will never be answered.

Who the gently caress is that anyway?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Who is that ?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

Requesting that video of the guy wearing a helmet upside down and a cape. I think it was Scandanavian or something. It does a bunch of stunts on a small displacement bike and it ends with him falling when he goes over a hill. Also there's an explosion and a chick in a bikini that (jokingly) checks to see if he's alive.

http://2strokeworld.com/bikewiki/index.php?title=Stunting :v:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Philanthropy! posted:

I was going to argue with this, but

I saw a ton of pictures of him wearing proper gear too

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

hayden. posted:

http://www.honda.co.jp/CB1100/impression/english/index.html

I'd love to have a 68-72 CB750 that isn't old as hell and slow. Please come to America

I was looking at my post history in this thread and posted this March 2010. It came true! (the CB1100 coming to the US)

Can someone post the nerdy guy youtube who "found himself at the Harley Dealership" while we're posting classics? I've asked for it before but can't find it again.

Repost cus I fuckin love this thing:

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

hayden. posted:

I was looking at my post history in this thread and posted this March 2010. It came true! (the CB1100 coming to the US)

Can someone post the nerdy guy youtube who "found himself at the Harley Dealership" while we're posting classics? I've asked for it before but can't find it again.

Here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOBgvHmqf4

Has to be followed up with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izzlN2zC8PU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Deeters posted:

I was going to argue with this, but

I saw a ton of pictures of him wearing proper gear too

Like a back protector?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You're a 5'10 supermodel/actress on a 20k bike with a 1200 dollar helmet riding in a crowded space at slow speed. Which part of this would lead you to believe they would have a problem being recognized?

What do you expect her to do, ride around on a lovely KLR650 with a trashbag looking aerostitch that makes her look like a 45 year old middle aged man with a beergut?

Besides, Celebs are all about the gear.

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/when-all-else-fails/

ThatCguy fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 23, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bob Dylan apparently got in a motorcycle accident when he was young, got really scared, and ever since has refused to talk about it and hates motorcycles. Kind of makes sense now; dude doesn't look all that comfortable

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Bob Dylan apparently got in a motorcycle accident when he was young, got really scared, and ever since has refused to talk about it and hates motorcycles. Kind of makes sense now; dude doesn't look all that comfortable

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That could have been before his accident, he looks pretty young there :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I still don't know who Tricia Helfer is.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Linedance posted:

I still don't know who Tricia Helfer is.

She played a Cylon on Battlestar Galactica.

In the ATGATT pic earlier, she's with Katie Sackhoff, who played Starbuck.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

She played a Cylon on Battlestar Galactica.
So it's a Cylon Rider. :downsrim:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 23, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ThatCguy posted:

You're a 5'10 supermodel/actress on a 20k bike with a 1200 dollar helmet riding in a crowded space at slow speed. Which part of this would lead you to believe they would have a problem being recognized?

What do you expect her to do, ride around on a lovely KLR650 with a trashbag looking aerostitch that makes her look like a 45 year old middle aged man with a beergut?

Besides, Celebs are all about the gear.

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/when-all-else-fails/

I was talking more about them in general, since I've heard various actors and other celebrities voice the opinion often enough that it's not fun to not being able to ever go out without being recognized. And as clutchpuck showed, some actually seems to use gear when riding any longer distances. Buut, since the only choices are jeans & a top or a trashbag looking aerostitch, that photo is obviously a fake.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
This guy needs no gear any of the time because his awesomeness protects him like a shield.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Yessss. "Nobody ever plans on headbutting, it just happens". I need that on a tattoo or something.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
cute CX

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

My girlfriend has a left-over Buddy 50 that I am thinking about throwing a 70cc kit on after watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgFtywwjx-I

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Cheers for posting this blog it's excellent.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I was just watching that high-side on Muholland, and I genuinely don't get at all how it happened, there doesn't seem to be any difference in the road-surface or the riders position. Is it just one of those things that randomly happens?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

In short, if you watch the rider a few things are obvious:

On/Off throttle a few times
Not a smooth line
Not a very good body position or corner setup (bike lean angle is more extreme than need be)
That corner has some camber changes to it & tightens up

That combined with unknown factors (tire wear/life and/or pressures) probably explains the high-side.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I can't tell for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that he chopped the throttle as soon as the rear end started to slide. At that point the tire got traction again and flipped him.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Deeters posted:

I can't tell for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that he chopped the throttle as soon as the rear end started to slide. At that point the tire got traction again and flipped him.

Lol what else could have happened?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

Lol what else could have happened?

Either he saves it (ha) or he low sides, which I would prefer to high siding.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Spiffness posted:

In short, if you watch the rider a few things are obvious:

On/Off throttle a few times

Yup, really obvious in the audio and video on the slow-mo replay. His right hand is wiggling throughout the whole turn. And you can hear him chop it once it starts to go. If he'd kept it on, it'd have been a low-side.

Spiffness posted:

Not a smooth line

He's trying to drive around a corner, by following the corner, instead of using what bikes are good at, accelerating. He's not using an apex of any kind, just putting his head over the yellow line to be collected by something coming the other way.

Spiffness posted:

Not a very good body position or corner setup (bike lean angle is more extreme than need be)

He's leaning out, locked inside arm. Probably doesn't have chicken strips, and that's way fast right?

TL;DR I repeated what Spliffness said with more words.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

snail posted:

He's leaning out, locked inside arm.

What do you mean here? I want to not suck at motorbikes and I don't really see it in the video.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
This just popped up on my Facebook feed. I love black and gold so much. :swoon:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's a good combo, my car is the same color.

addendum:

No mention of damage, as if it's supposed to be like that:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/07-Buell-Uly...ba4b127&vxp=mtr

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Slavvy posted:

What do you mean here? I want to not suck at motorbikes and I don't really see it in the video.

(Sorry, another wall of text.)

Locking the arms means the rider has to move their whole torso to turn the bars, rather than pushing and pulling using free elbow movement. As bikes countersteer, locked arms means shoulders turn. The inside shoulder has to push forward, and in order to do that, they brace against the pushing arm and their torso moves out of the corner.

This has the effect of keeping their body vertical, which pushes the bike down into the corner producing more lean on the bike. Leaning the bike further means rolling the bike further onto the tyre edge, reducing available grip. This is why racers hang off a bike through a corner, to move the balance point of the bike off the bike, in order to keep the bike more upright. Bikes like being upright, that's their natural stable state.

That's not to say you should be hanging off the bike on the road (especially as a newbie). If you're doing that, you're probably going too fast.

Some of the other videos on rnickeymouse's channel show what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBB5HC7izfc(here's my content) contains a number of good ones. If you compare the two videos, you'll see these people have almost a 90 degree bend in their arms, and their bikes are more upright, far more stable, and I can guarantee going a lot faster. They are the more extreme examples though, but you can still apply the same theory that works into more advanced riding.

A technique I teach newbies is to rock on their buttcheeks (which is pretty much a parroting of the technique I've been taught in all my riding schools, be it track or advanced street riding). In sequence, it's pretty much:

0) Are your arms bent and can you flap them like a chicken? If not, relax the grip.
1) Decide on your line through the corner.
2) Make sure the ball of your inside foot is on the peg. Outside foot, hooked up with the boot heel. This keeps your foot off the road if you're going to lean a long way, and provides a hold through the outside boot.
3) Rock on your butt onto the cheek that's going to be inside the corner.
4) Keeping your arms loose, start your braking using your knees to hold the tank if you need to.
5) Release the brakes, and initiate the turn following the line you decided on in 1) by looking at the line you want to follow. Don't look at the ground in front of your bike. Look a far ahead as you can remember and that makes sense to you. If you're out-riding your vision and memory, once again, going too fast.
6) Stay on that butt cheek until you're upright after the corner.
7) Sit flat on the seat again.

From rocking on your butt through a corner, it's a straight progression to hanging off the bike for foolysik MotoGP-stylez cornering. The amount you'll move on the seat changes.