Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!

TetsuoTW posted:

I've never found that to be the case. In fact, that's exactly what I did for my previous post.

It definitely doesn't work that way for me. Pushing a number just selects whatever character is in that position on the list. W+O+3 just plops 握 on the screen, for example. I'm using Microsoft Pinyin New Experience Style. What IME are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I want to have your children.

Edit: duckfarts babies only

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

:gay: :banjo:

:argh:

:suicide:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Hey man, I didn't name them that.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

I know, I just have a real seething dislike for dead keys.
It's irrational, but they just bug the poo poo outta me.

That said, when I put Win 8 on last weekend, I opted to keep US intl, and I have MS New Phonetic as the alt IME.
I had the input explained to me previously, and it does seem (to me at least) the simplest of the input methods.

That also being part of the reason why I wanted to learn zhuyin rather than rely on pinyin for the long term.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Hello again Taiwan goons. I'm trying to get the gently caress out of China but I still want to study Chinese and live in a Chinese environment, so I figured Taiwan would be the place to go. A couple weeks ago I had a teaching job lined up but they decided to stop all contact for some reason, so now I'm in limbo. Since then I've sent out nearly 100 resumes, applications, and inquiries to different schools but very few have even responded at all. I have a TEFL and an MA in linguistics and a few years teaching experience, so I thought it would be easy to find somewhere. Is there anything I could do to increase my chances?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

Hello again Taiwan goons. I'm trying to get the gently caress out of China but I still want to study Chinese and live in a Chinese environment, so I figured Taiwan would be the place to go. A couple weeks ago I had a teaching job lined up but they decided to stop all contact for some reason, so now I'm in limbo. Since then I've sent out nearly 100 resumes, applications, and inquiries to different schools but very few have even responded at all. I have a TEFL and an MA in linguistics and a few years teaching experience, so I thought it would be easy to find somewhere. Is there anything I could do to increase my chances?

Selfish plug: If your English writing skills are super solid and you're technically competent, you could apply for the tech writing job posted on Formosa, though it's full time so there's no time (realistically) to take formal classes.

Other than that, local applicants are usually favored to my knowledge, so of you can swing it, come and take a class and then look for a job.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Are you looking for more pay and better conditions than just basic entry level liberal arts B.A.?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

duckfarts posted:

Selfish plug: If your English writing skills are super solid and you're technically competent, you could apply for the tech writing job posted on Formosa, though it's full time so there's no time (realistically) to take formal classes.

Other than that, local applicants are usually favored to my knowledge, so of you can swing it, come and take a class and then look for a job.

When would that job start?

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

Are you looking for more pay and better conditions than just basic entry level liberal arts B.A.?

Not particularly, although I have avoided applying at HESS. They would probably get me a job in no time, but they don't seem any better than similar companies on the mainland. That's the really annoying thing though, that I'm willing to take a basic entry-level job and still can't get any bites.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Definitely come here first and apply second. The only places in Taipei that'll hire from abroad are sleazy teacher mills like Hess, Kojen etc.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was going to say that that's not entirely true because I got hired from abroad, but then I remembered that I'm technically in New Taipei City and not downtown proper. I guess if you're willing to be just outside of where all the action is, you might get lucky like I did.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

When would that job start?
ASAP, really.

Also, loving a it's getting cold again.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Haraksha posted:

I was going to say that that's not entirely true because I got hired from abroad, but then I remembered that I'm technically in New Taipei City and not downtown proper. I guess if you're willing to be just outside of where all the action is, you might get lucky like I did.

Note: "Luck" in this case involves a good night out being a night of swilling algae beer in Tucheng.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

Note: "Luck" in this case involves a good night out being a night of swilling algae beer in Tucheng.

hahaha

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

Second:
    Type in your vowel, use v for ü (for ü by itself, just use " + u, which is the standard International keyboard way to do it)

Finally got around to installing this, but I can't seem to get a lower case ü, only an uppercase one.

Other than that, it works great. Now, when can I expect an Android release?

url posted:

hahaha

It's the best algae beer I've ever had though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Haraksha posted:

Finally got around to installing this, but I can't seem to get a lower case ü, only an uppercase one.

Other than that, it works great. Now, when can I expect an Android release?

For the ü by itself, do " then lowercase u; it should be in there by default for the International keyboard. The ones I added are for the tones only(ǖǕ/ǘ'V/ǚǙ/ǜǛ) since ü/Ü already exist in the keyboard, though whoops I guess I messed up the 2nd tone one there...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ah, I see, you have to literally type the command " shift + ' " then type the u. I was holding all the keys at the same time. That makes way more sense.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Ugh, 1st tone I and O and 2nd tone Ü all seem to be broken, don't know why though because they work in the testing area. I'll figure it out sometime, at least lowercase should all work.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I can't think of when you would need to have a capital I though. In pinyin, words never start with an I. They start with a consonant or with a y if the i sound is the only sound in the word. And off the top of my head, I don't think anything starts with a u or ü. It's either going to be yu or wu depending on what kind of u sound it is. Though for some reason I feel less confident about this than with the i. I guess with those two it only really matters if you want to write everything in capital letters.

Edit: I tested those keys at home and they are also broken for me, but the only one I care about is the O.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 29, 2013

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

The other beers were all good, I didn't actually try the algae beer that night.

Maybe I should, but .... algae .... beer

Alage vodka seems a more complimentary pairing imho.

E: while I"m here, i wanted to use your guy for private lessons starting after CNY or thereabouts.
the teacher I was using has disappointed a bunch of people further along than I am, so it seems wise to listen to them.

Can you pass me a number when you've got the time pls.

If he can make it to mine and is cheaper, imma be a happy goon.

url fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 29, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

url posted:

The other beers were all good, I didn't actually try the algae beer that night.

Maybe I should, but .... algae .... beer

Alage vodka seems a more complimentary pairing imho.

E: while I"m here, i wanted to use your guy for private lessons starting after CNY or thereabouts.
the teacher I was using has disappointed a bunch of people further along than I am, so it seems wise to listen to them.

Can you pass me a number when you've got the time pls.

If he can make it to mine and is cheaper, imma be a happy goon.

No idea what his schedule is going to be like. I know he just got his 兵單 this week, so he's getting kind of busy gearing up for his 當兵. How close are you to Taoyuan? That's where he drives up from.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

No idea what his schedule is going to be like. I know he just got his 兵單 this week, so he's getting kind of busy gearing up for his 當兵. How close are you to Taoyuan? That's where he drives up from.

Bugger, I'll call you at some point.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

url posted:

Bugger, I'll call you at some point.

Yeah, I'll pass along his information to you. I see him tonight, so I can ask what his free days are. Do you know when you'd want to start?

Also, whiskey this Friday. Be there.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I gotta do the company's weiya (always wanna sing that word to outkast's hey ya) on Friday evening.

Depending on how much of an arse I make of myself there and what time you are intending to finish, I could potentially bop along and make an arse of myself with you guys too. Afaik, the company lays on the booze - it's gonna be hard for me to walk away from a source of free sauce.

:)
Ideally I wanna get started fairly soon after CNY.

Sat or Sun midday-ish for 2 hours is the plan, and if he was able to get to Xinzhuang that'd be fukn awesome.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
How long does it take to get from Taipei to the airport on a Friday morning?

I need to be there around 8.30am and wondering if I should get a hotel in a strategic place or if it doesn't matter that much. Staying only for about a day after work in Taichung, anything I could do other than take a trip up Taipei 101?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

blinkyzero posted:

Thanks guys, great advice. I know of zhuyin but have been using pinyin for my self-study these last few months, so I'll likely stick with that. I have heard zhuyin's the fastest way to text in Chinese, though.

Zhuyin is really no faster than Pinyin for phones once you learn to let predictive text (and download Sougou or Google IME instead of whatever stock crap your phone has) take the wheel. I very rarely type out more than 2 letters of any characters these days.

I have one friend who can use cangjie (but he's from Guangdong so...) and he is a loving demon on his phone. I've also heard wubi can be crazy fast. They both require a knowledge and recall of characters most native Chinese speakers don't have, though... and that's the main reason why most Mandarin speakers just use a phonetic system.

Also this was a bunch of posts ago, something ya'll (Mainly that one guy I forgot to quote) westerners have to realize is Pinyin was not designed to be a replacement for characters, wasn't meant to be a Romanization system, nor was it originally intended to help foreigners learn the langauge. It was meant to be a pronunciation guide because when what would become Pinyin and Zhuyin started development in the post-1911 era there was no real good, standardized way to show pronunciation. All they had was this ancient system where you used the beginning of one character and the ending of another character to denote the pronunciation of a character and if you didn't know the guide character's pronunciations you were sort of hosed. Also there were a bunch of rules about tone and some characters didn't use their normal pronunciations when being used as a guide... it was a real messy system. Also it was really only any good for ancient Chinese. 切韵 was it's name if you wanna look it up and see how crazy that poo poo was.

Unlike Wade Giles or Yale, which were designed by foreigners to help other foriegners pronounce poo poo and were actually based on a knowledge of what letters sounded like in English, Pinyin and Zhuyin were developed by Chinese to help Chinese people pronounce Chinese. I've never once heard anyone complain about French or Italian or Czech being hard to prononce because they use mostly the same letters as we do with wildly different pronunciations, but I guess there aren't really alternatives for those and this is a bad analogy. Anyway, pinyin is a pretty drat good system when you look at it as a way for Chinese people to know how to pronounce poo poo and less as "man I already know these letters but now they all CRAZY"

Honestly I think they're about the same, one just took more of an influence from Japanese kana and one had Zhou Youguang being lazy and saying "gently caress it lets use these letters someone else already made." I tried to lear Zhuyin a lifetime ago but I was already too entrenched into Pinyin by that point and I didn't see the point. They're both decently designed systems with some individual pros and cons, but they both get the job of "how do I pronounce this with as little ambiguity as possible?" done pretty well.

Essentially, I'm real sorry a bunch of dudes in China in the 30s were more concerned with creating an effective pronunication guide for the something-hundred million illiterate Chinese people who'd never heard a word of putonghua (nevermind any western language) than they were aboutin how people from the west would have issues pronouncing this poo poo 70 years down the line. It's almost like we weren't the things they really cared about or something.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Thank Christ, someone capable of talking about it more intelligently than I ever could managed to step in and say exactly what I wish I could've said.

Oh, and on the getting from Taipei to the airport thing, if you're going to CKS, like an hour, hour and a half. To Songshan, you're already there.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 30, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

url posted:

I gotta do the company's weiya (always wanna sing that word to outkast's hey ya) on Friday evening.

Depending on how much of an arse I make of myself there and what time you are intending to finish, I could potentially bop along and make an arse of myself with you guys too. Afaik, the company lays on the booze - it's gonna be hard for me to walk away from a source of free sauce.

:)
Ideally I wanna get started fairly soon after CNY.

Sat or Sun midday-ish for 2 hours is the plan, and if he was able to get to Xinzhuang that'd be fukn awesome.

Alright, I emailed you his information. I'll probably be out until 3am on Friday.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

My contract with HESS is up at the end of May, and right now I'm thinking a lot about moving to the Taipei area to look for a new job. DaJia was good to me financially but I'm tired of having nothing to do on the weekends.

My question is: when should I start applying for new jobs? My only Taiwanese job search experience was applying to HESS from overseas, so I don't know how employers here feel about things like when you can start. Should I wait until I'm a month out, or start applying sooner?

Also, any chance anyone here has a cheap, nice apartment in Taipei opening up in June?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Apply now and just mention the timeframe, at the very worst they'll tell you to check back in a couple months and they'll hopefully remember you then. Also, I know duckfarts posted about a writing job, check his thread post history if you're interested in that.

Apartment... a friend of a friend had a decent $10k place listed in ShiDa night market, I can ask closer to when you're moving.

How does this Tuesday Feb 5th 8:00pm work for poker? I think my building's basement has a good table for it I'll check later today.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

My contract with HESS is up at the end of May, and right now I'm thinking a lot about moving to the Taipei area to look for a new job. DaJia was good to me financially but I'm tired of having nothing to do on the weekends.

My question is: when should I start applying for new jobs? My only Taiwanese job search experience was applying to HESS from overseas, so I don't know how employers here feel about things like when you can start. Should I wait until I'm a month out, or start applying sooner?

Also, any chance anyone here has a cheap, nice apartment in Taipei opening up in June?

Put a resume up on Tealit, and then start hitting the ads there about a month out, if you can't find anything by D-Day just come into town, find a cheap place to stay and start pounding the pavement.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

USDA Choice posted:

How does this Tuesday Feb 5th 8:00pm work for poker? I think my building's basement has a good table for it I'll check later today.
Work schedule permitting, I could be in for donating money to the Better Poker Players Than Me Fund.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thanks for the advice, USDA Choice and Spanish Matlock, I'll put my resume up and start applying after the Chinese New Year holidays.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

USDA Choice posted:

Apply now and just mention the timeframe, at the very worst they'll tell you to check back in a couple months and they'll hopefully remember you then. Also, I know duckfarts posted about a writing job, check his thread post history if you're interested in that.

Apartment... a friend of a friend had a decent $10k place listed in ShiDa night market, I can ask closer to when you're moving.

I'll check out my work schedule for tomorrow when I get into the office today, I probably can't, barring last minute cancellation, but if it's possible I'll make the supreme effort of walking a few blocks to take everyone's money.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Regarding poker, I'm gonna cancel it since not only was it last minute, but I think I'm supposed to register the time with my building management or we risk getting booted.

What about March 5th instead of Feb 5th? People can plan ahead better.

Also I'm thinking a cash game, buy in for anywhere between 100-500 dollars? I don't want it to be all serious business but it's gotta be worth at least a few beers.

edit: I really like bold recently for some reason...

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

We used to play for about 300 bucks. Not killing anyone's pocketbook, but with four or five guys it's 1200-1500 pot, which is nice. Do you have chips? They make everything more fun.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Hi Taiwanese goons, I've got a question. I thought about asking the Small Questions thread, but I think I'll try here first. Many years ago, when I went to Taiwan, I bought a ton of these calligraphy pens on the cheap. They're the ACE 英士小楷毛筆, and they look like this:

Fast forward to today, there's a Little Taipei near my house (in America), and a book store carried these brush pens. It was my only place to keep buying these fun little pens, but recently the book store went out of business. Is there a place where I can still buy these things? They're great and cheap (roughly $1 USD each in Taiwan). But now, I can't find a way to buy from online Taiwanese stores or whatnot and the local Chinatown (not Little Taipei) has no idea what this thing is. It's no fun running into a constant barrage of 沒有s. :smith:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Hi Taiwanese goons, I've got a question. I thought about asking the Small Questions thread, but I think I'll try here first. Many years ago, when I went to Taiwan, I bought a ton of these calligraphy pens on the cheap. They're the ACE 英士小楷毛筆, and they look like this:

Fast forward to today, there's a Little Taipei near my house (in America), and a book store carried these brush pens. It was my only place to keep buying these fun little pens, but recently the book store went out of business. Is there a place where I can still buy these things? They're great and cheap (roughly $1 USD each in Taiwan). But now, I can't find a way to buy from online Taiwanese stores or whatnot and the local Chinatown (not Little Taipei) has no idea what this thing is. It's no fun running into a constant barrage of 沒有s. :smith:

I'm gonna pass by the JSF(金興發) in ShiDa later tonight, which is a big store for that kinda thing. I'll check it out if I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Saw them there! And a few others like it. Those exact ones were 37nt, which is maybe $1.25us. There were a few others from the same company, and some others from a different company which were more like 5-8 bucks us each.