Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Medullah posted:

Bumping this because I'm setting up profiles on my new phone.

Anyone know how to set an action to a long press of the "Back" button on the Galaxy S3? Seems a waste to have a perfectly good button there with no action tied to it. :)

It can't intercept back button input last I checked. Or menu, which annoys me constantly :(

Here's the creator talking about it --> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/tasker/tEL9W4AgHPI

Here's a thing that I tried a long time ago but never really got to work so I dunno--> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1048287

XIII posted:

Is there a way to set up a widget to toggle between two keyboards?

http://code.rawlinson.us/2012/10/android-change-keyboard-based-on-app.html?m=1

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is set variable broken somehow?

I have a data governor task that intermittently toggles my mobile data after the screen is off for five minutes. I wrote it to not fire if %DATAOVERRIDE~1. Then I made a profile to set the variable to 1 when a certain program launches (Pandora).

I launch Pandora, the profile triggers, but it doesn't set the variable. What am I doing wrong?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
What is the code you're using? Can you type it out or provide a screenshot?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

What is the code you're using? Can you type it out or provide a screenshot?

It seems pretty simple, I have no idea why it isn't working.

code:
Profile: Data Override (6)
	Application: Pandora
Enter: Set OVERRIDE (7)
	Abort Existing Task
	A1: Variable Set [ Name:%DATAOVERRIDE To:1 Do Maths:Off Append:Off ] 

Exit: Clear OVERRIDE (10)
	Abort Existing Task
	A1: Variable Set [ Name:%DATAOVERRIDE To:0 Do Maths:Off Append:Off ] 

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Subterfrugal posted:

It seems pretty simple, I have no idea why it isn't working.

code:
Profile: Data Override (6)
	Application: Pandora
Enter: Set OVERRIDE (7)
	Abort Existing Task
	A1: Variable Set [ Name:%DATAOVERRIDE To:1 Do Maths:Off Append:Off ] 

Exit: Clear OVERRIDE (10)
	Abort Existing Task
	A1: Variable Set [ Name:%DATAOVERRIDE To:0 Do Maths:Off Append:Off ] 

Put an Alert / Flash action in the exit task to check if it's running or not. I recommend Variable Clear instead of Variable Set, 0.

Also, can you post the code behind the initial data profile?

Edit: Also, remember it will only check apps that are running in the foreground. If Pandora isn't the foreground app the profile will close it out--that's why I mention running the notification as well, so you can see when things are firing and start looking for workarounds if that's the issue.

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 8, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Does anyone with a Galaxy S3 have any luck with Tasker and lock screen enabling/disabling? I had a great profile set up on my Evo so the lock screen was disabled when I was at home, but it just doesn't seem to work right with JB. Is that a built in security feature, like the fact that Tasker can't mess with Airplane mode and GPS anymore?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Download the secure settings plug in from the play store. It's free and great for that.

Some people have issues with %KEYG with 4.x regardless

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Download the secure settings plug in from the play store. It's free and great for that.

Some people have issues with %KEYG with 4.x regardless

Yeah, but doesn't most of the good settings in that require root? I decided not to root this particular phone.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Not a lot you can do then. Maybe create a custom lockscreen with scenes, but it wouldn't be as secure.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Put an Alert / Flash action in the exit task to check if it's running or not. I recommend Variable Clear instead of Variable Set, 0.

Also, can you post the code behind the initial data profile?

Edit: Also, remember it will only check apps that are running in the foreground. If Pandora isn't the foreground app the profile will close it out--that's why I mention running the notification as well, so you can see when things are firing and start looking for workarounds if that's the issue.

That alert advice was spot on, and it keyed me into what you already figured out. Starting Pandora kicks off the profile, but as soon as I start doing something else it drops to the background and the profile shuts off.

The underlying task is an attempt to limit the amount of casual data being sent back and forth. The activation profile is screen off. I want Tasker to chill out for a few minutes, then check to see if I'm using any program that might still be using data. Pandora, Runkeeper, etc. If no, turn off data, and pop up every 20 minutes to check for new mail. The profile is set to terminate when I unlock the screen.

code:
Wait 5 Then Regulate Data (9)
	Abort Existing Task
	A1: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:0 Minutes:5 Hours:0 Days:0 ] 
	A2: If [ %DATAOVERRIDE ~ 0 ]
	A3: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Mobile Data Disabled Package:com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin Name:Secure Settings ] 
	A4: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:0 Minutes:20 Hours:0 Days:0 ] 
	A5: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Mobile Data Enabled Package:com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin Name:Secure Settings ] 
	A6: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:0 Minutes:1 Hours:0 Days:0 ] 
	A7: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:2 Label: ] 
	A8: Else 
	A9: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:1 Label: ] 
Anyone have any ideas of fixing this? The inelegant workaround I think will work is having the program set the variable, but not clear it on exit. Instead, I can map a widget button to a task that turns off the variable. I don't want to have to push buttons. :(

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
You have to push a button anyway to launch the apps.

Why not create a non-intrusive overlay scene or Tasker widget that launches and closes those programs; use those to trigger your variables while launching or closing the apps instead of using the Pandora/runkeeper launch icons.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Cross-post from the apps thread:
I get my daily schedule emailed to me and I was wondering if there's something that will scrape my email and out the schedule into my calendar. I figure Tasker can probably do this, but is there a simpler way? I am not a programmer and I think it would involve lots of passing data back and forth.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
This is sort of just a question about Android, but it does involve Tasker. I used to have a simple profile that, upon connecting to my bluetooth headphones, would launch Google Music, wait 2 seconds for it to load, then Toggle Media Button for Pause (thereby making it start playing).

A while back I installed an alternate music app on my phone, and it started launching when I toggled the media button instead, which was very frustrating. I uninstalled it, but ever since, my profile no longer works. It launches Google Music fine, but the media toggle doesn't do that job. Any guesses if there's a way to make Google Music the default receiver of media play/pause toggle again so Tasker can control it?

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

berzerker posted:

This is sort of just a question about Android, but it does involve Tasker. I used to have a simple profile that, upon connecting to my bluetooth headphones, would launch Google Music, wait 2 seconds for it to load, then Toggle Media Button for Pause (thereby making it start playing).

A while back I installed an alternate music app on my phone, and it started launching when I toggled the media button instead, which was very frustrating. I uninstalled it, but ever since, my profile no longer works. It launches Google Music fine, but the media toggle doesn't do that job. Any guesses if there's a way to make Google Music the default receiver of media play/pause toggle again so Tasker can control it?

These are the actions I use in my auto-play task:
Load App > Play Music
Media Control > Toggle Pause (Simulate Media Button: On)

Has been working since 4.0x.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

PalaNIN posted:

These are the actions I use in my auto-play task:
Load App > Play Music
Media Control > Toggle Pause (Simulate Media Button: On)

Has been working since 4.0x.

That's what mine was before I installed the other program. That same thing doesn't work anymore. I think somehow my phone just doesn't understand what music app should be receiving media buttons.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Am I missing something obvious, or is there no way to issue the action "connect to wifi network xyz"? I can turn it on or off, and can detect networks, but can't find the one thing I need.

There's two networks at work, A and B. A has more range, but is kinda lovely. B is great, but is mostly within A. So when my device comes in range of A, it stays in A and never connects to B unless I force it to. I want to set up a task such that when the phone detects B, it connects to B.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
In case anyone missed it in the app thread or elsewhere, beta version of Tasker with the new UI is free for a while.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/22/tasker-beta-released-completely-revamped-ui-gives-app-new-life/

apk: http://tasker.dinglisch.net/releases/Tasker.4.0b4m.apk

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

In case anyone missed it in the app thread or elsewhere, beta version of Tasker with the new UI is free for a while.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/22/tasker-beta-released-completely-revamped-ui-gives-app-new-life/

apk: http://tasker.dinglisch.net/releases/Tasker.4.0b4m.apk

Anyone tried this yet and exported profiles using "old" tasker, then importing them into the beta?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
The beta installs over the current version, and for me, all of my stuff works perfect. I recommend backing up first though just in case.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I didn't install over, didn't have tasker installed in the 1st place (been flashing roms too much the last month). I did restore some tasker tasks that I had backed up to SD with a really old version of tasker and it imported and ran them just fine.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I'm using Tablet Talk to send/receive text from my Nexus 7. Is there a way to get chompSMS to stop notifying me of texts when I'm connected to Tablet Talk? It's not a huge deal, but it's just less smooth when my phone is still buzzing every time I get a text and I have a bunch of notification popups when I finally go back to my phone.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

berzerker posted:

That's what mine was before I installed the other program. That same thing doesn't work anymore. I think somehow my phone just doesn't understand what music app should be receiving media buttons.
You can use an app called Autostarts to control which apps are allowed to respond to the media button.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
I am trying to do the "find where I parked" task, outlined here: http://tasker.wikidot.com/car-locator-and-park-timer, and for the most part, it works. I took out a bunch of unnecessary stuff, such as the popup messages, and the meter timer, so that basically all I want to do is this:

Profile:
Context: Connected to the specific bluetooth adapter in my car
Task: Start my music playing program
Exit Task: Set Car Location

Set Car Location Task
Clear variable %PARKED (which will hold the car's parked location)
Set variable %PARKED to %LOC (GPS location)
Set variable %PARKED to %LOCN (Network location) If %PARKED !Set (i.e. GPS did not get a fix)

Then I created another task called "Find Car," that opens up navigation and navigates to %Parked.

The Problem
When I run the "find car" task, launched via a widget, the map opens up and tries to navigate me to the car. Awesome right? No, no it's not. For some reason, the %Parked variable does not seem to clear and reset itself when I disconnect from my bluetooth. The first time I ran it, it did, but now the location seems to be stuck to those coordinates. I am not sure what could have caused this, other than I missed the step, Get GPS location with 240 second timeout between the clear variable %parked and the set variable steps in my set car location task. The wiki does not explain how to do this, and I thought maybe that was just a comment, saying what happens. If that step is something that has to occur, how would I accomplish it? If that's not my issue, what is?

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
You have to get the location manually. It's Get Location under Misc, you'll want to have two actions for that. One with source set to GPS and one with it set to Net.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Jervas Dudley posted:

You have to get the location manually. It's Get Location under Misc, you'll want to have two actions for that. One with source set to GPS and one with it set to Net.

That was it. Thanks for the help!

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is it possible to turn the lockscreen pin on and off depending on if certain wifi networks are present?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ragingsheep posted:

Is it possible to turn the lockscreen pin on and off depending on if certain wifi networks are present?

Yes, but you need to be on a CM ROM and install this app, since those have support for profiles. At least, that's the only way I figured out how to do it. It worked well, though.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

The Secure Settings plugin for Tasker is supposed to be able to do it, but I've never been able to get consistent results from it.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I've finally started getting to grips with Tasker today.

I'm currently using Wifi SSID as a method of triggering profiles. Cell tower location triggering is probably a more battery efficient method though, right?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
What's the most efficient way of ensuring a notification only happens once?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

What's the most efficient way of ensuring a notification only happens once?

Set a flag on the first run and bypass it doing anything when that flag is set via if statement?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I know I'm probably an edge case, but I have a Nexus 4 and the Google charging orb, but I noticed that my Tasker profile I used to ensure WiFi was turned on at night after midnight AND charging no longer works when the phone is on the charging orb. Even though I have Charging set to 'Any'

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 26, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe the charging event is triggered by the physical plugging in?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Roundboy posted:

Set a flag on the first run and bypass it doing anything when that flag is set via if statement?

Cheers!

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

SeaborneClink posted:

I know I'm probably an edge case, but I have a Nexus 4 and the Google charging orb, but I noticed that my Tasker profile I used to ensure WiFi was turned on at night after midnight AND charging no longer works when the phone is on the charging orb. Even though I have Charging set to 'Any'

FWIW the Tasker 4 beta can detect wireless charging.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Tasker newbie here, but anyone know how to setup a profile where the screen will not turn off due to timeout when an application is in focus (in this case: Ingress)? Thanks

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

Tasker newbie here, but anyone know how to setup a profile where the screen will not turn off due to timeout when an application is in focus (in this case: Ingress)? Thanks

I think you need to use Secure Settings plugin to do it.

First Context: Application-> Choose application
Create a task using the action from Plugins->Secure Settings->Wake Device->Manual On
Once saved expand the Profile then press & hold on the Task to create an exit task which does the opposite of the above.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 15, 2013

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
How do I delete a global variable from memory? I made this variable at some point but then I renamed it to something else for every instance that it occurred, but it's still in the list of global variables. Normally I wouldn't care, but now it seems like Tasker is making GBS threads itself and lagging/using more RAM. I wish there was a way to refresh the variable list or something.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize that the variable currently had a value assigned to it. I did a variable clear action, and that cleared out the variable from memory.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 30, 2013

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So when you set up a rule do you have to make a second rule to set everything back to how it was before the rule took effect, or should it switch stuff back on its own once the trigger conditions are no longer true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Require More Fire posted:

So when you set up a rule do you have to make a second rule to set everything back to how it was before the rule took effect, or should it switch stuff back on its own once the trigger conditions are no longer true?

You would have to create an exit task with actions to reverse your previous actions. For example, if your profiles' enter task turns on GPS, you need to have an exit task that turns off GPS if you want it to turn off after your profile has finished running. Otherwise, GPS will continue running until it receives an action from another profile, exit task, or whatever to turn it off.

• Locked thread