Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

If I wanted to direct my energy toward anything other than killing things as quickly as possible I'd have rolled a Guardian. :v:

I have a guardian designed to do exactly that.

Don't think I could go back to carrying a shield any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Update_9.1,_Official

The Durchest farm is now closed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Travel mounts are no longer invisible to players.

This is such a weird one. Had it only started happening recently?

Seems like one of those things that would've got fixed long ago otherwise.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Sweet, I'll yell at you next time I see you, Rehz.

I find the amount of fellowship quests in the game kinda annoying. It's my own fault though, because I'm stubborn and refuse to drop quests. The worst are the ones that start a chain of overworld fellowship quests. I usually wait until they're gray or just about to go gray and try them. Most of them I can do at that point. If not, I just wait a few more levels and try again.

In a perfect world, it's nice to have the options of overworld group quests. But in reality for these types of MMOs, people rarely, if at all, group for anything outside of explicit group content inside a dungeon.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

sassassin posted:

This is such a weird one. Had it only started happening recently?

Seems like one of those things that would've got fixed long ago otherwise.

I have had plenty of invisible mounts forever and "auto-run stops", and "start swimming in plain air" (which includes infinite jumping into water effects) bugs. I guess I'm a bug-magnet, forever damned for taking that job in QA.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

xZAOx posted:

Sweet, I'll yell at you next time I see you, Rehz.

I find the amount of fellowship quests in the game kinda annoying. It's my own fault though, because I'm stubborn and refuse to drop quests. The worst are the ones that start a chain of overworld fellowship quests. I usually wait until they're gray or just about to go gray and try them. Most of them I can do at that point. If not, I just wait a few more levels and try again.

In a perfect world, it's nice to have the options of overworld group quests. But in reality for these types of MMOs, people rarely, if at all, group for anything outside of explicit group content inside a dungeon.

Some areas are the absolute worst, too, like North Downs. There seems like a roughly 50% chance any time I visit there where someone is asking for help in LFF and even though I'm way over level they're happy just to see someone else around to help them.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Captain Backslap posted:

Some areas are the absolute worst, too, like North Downs. There seems like a roughly 50% chance any time I visit there where someone is asking for help in LFF and even though I'm way over level they're happy just to see someone else around to help them.

That's actually the zone I was talking about, without naming it, hahaha. Well, there and some left over GA quests (all but 1 can be completed in the overworld).

All of the quest hubs on the eastern half end with fellowship quest chains (the dwarven area at the top, the elf people near the bottom send you to trolls, Estledin send you into the elite area of the orc camp, and someone sends you to elite birds in the NE).

It is kinda fun trying to do the quests though, even when they're green/gray. They're definitely challenging as a squishy hunter. If I can get singles it's no problem, but lots of these are designed so that you always get adds (like the Pulling Beards quest, 3 elites at once, and traps don't help because they all throw axes, that poo poo is very gray and still stomps me!)

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Some natives are really unhappy about today's patch.

quote:

BG-Durchest runs are now dead as of now. No one will do them anymore. Too bad for the casual players that could have a chance to make their 2ng age. Guess the new raids are coming soon and the Tarnished symbol will be sold at the skirmish camp at the same time.

quote:

They make tarnished symbols so difficult to acquire for solo/casual players, and now the easiest way to get them is now nerfed. >_<

quote:

Why you don't solve the textures of the giants in Evendim instead of remove the symbols from Durchest???

quote:

Re: Durchest, skewed economics for who? Anybody 84 or lower? Anybody who doesn't have time to raid much? It takes some symbols hitting the market to get the price down, but maybe you think most players don't deserve 2nd Age weapons. If it's the only thing players would group for, what does that tell you? Thus BG goes the way of Barrow Downs Survival.

quote:

Translation... Yay! I can overcharge on the AH again and "skew" the economy to what I want!

YUP! Tarnished Symbols on Landroval now on AH for 495, and 500 Gold... Yup... THAT fixed the Market Skew alright! OMFG!

quote:

Seams to me only thing lotro works on is helping its gold farmers make more profit for its trollers, Why not work on things that need to be worked on

quote:

For hardcore gamers only!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

For too long have we been plagued by bad textures on the giants of Evendim. How can we be expected to play like this?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Who would actually spend 500 gold on a symbol? Who actually HAS 500 gold? That's a hell of a lot even to day one players with an account full of 85s. With two 85s, a 66 and a 41 I have about 250 gold to my name.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I just broke 100g for probably the first time ever, since I've never really seen the need to hoard money. I feel ripped off spending 4g on rarely sold ingots just to grind up my weaponsmithing. I can't imagine spending 500 on anything for any reason at all.

Hopefully this means I don't have to see for the millionth time in glff someone trying to pawn off their 12th teal piece of equipment from the chest. That poo poo was broken as hell. That was one particular ring that seemed to drop all the time, if the way people accumulated them was any indication.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 23, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Lawl. Good to see LOTRO isn't free from the typical MMO bile of players.

Call me weird, but I've always been fine with the "if you're not raiding, you don't need raid gear" mentality. In some games I raid, in some games I don't. The ePeen and "everyone needs easy ways to get everything" mentalities don't make sense to me.

Speaking of - what IS "end-game" like on LOTRO? Not that I'm overly concerned, just curious. There's obvious things of rep grind, deed grind, doing the repeatable quests for faction (I've found ones for Bree and Lone-lands at least). I've heard about rebuilding some town being a RoR end-game thing. What're the raids like? Are there the typical raid tiers?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ruffz posted:

Who would actually spend 500 gold on a symbol? Who actually HAS 500 gold? That's a hell of a lot even to day one players with an account full of 85s. With two 85s, a 66 and a 41 I have about 250 gold to my name.

Someone in the kin said they were nearing 2000 the other day

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

sassassin posted:

Someone in the kin said they were nearing 2000 the other day

I could see that, given that goon guilds have always had a handful of master market manipulators with way too much free time that get stupid rich. Even if you have 2000 gold, 500 is still a quarter of your money and that's a pretty stupid investment IMO. There's gonna be another expansion in the fall that'll make the weapon obsolete.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'm just really angry they took out space combat, just before I got to Oatbarton, too.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get access to an account when you've forgotten the password and the email address is long dead? I played lotro right after release and I have an captain is angmar. It would be nice to not have to grind everything again.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

NuckmasterJ posted:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get access to an account when you've forgotten the password and the email address is long dead? I played lotro right after release and I have an captain is angmar. It would be nice to not have to grind everything again.

Honestly, I'd recommend just playing the game again. I guarantee you'll have a vastly different experience than you did before if you were playing right after release, and Angmar is now the game's halfway point rather than its endgame zone. Maybe play a different class?

If you really want that character back I can't think of anything other than submitting a support ticket; maybe they can verify it some other way (credit card information perhaps?).

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I already started playing from scratch with another captain and I've noticed some changes in archet already, which is nice. I guess it's no biggy as long as there are still some groups around for group quests.

After coming back from a crazy longer break I have to say the store full of pay to grind faster stuff is neat.

Is there anything super cool i should keep my eyes open for?

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

loquacius posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend just playing the game again. I guarantee you'll have a vastly different experience than you did before if you were playing right after release, and Angmar is now the game's halfway point rather than its endgame zone. Maybe play a different class?

If you really want that character back I can't think of anything other than submitting a support ticket; maybe they can verify it some other way (credit card information perhaps?).

It might be worth it to recover your old account compared starting a new F2P account. You wont have to repurchase content etc.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I went deed farming in the barrows and now I have so many Barrow-treasures I don't know what to do with them :argh:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Personally I pass mine down through successions of alts for rep, as kindred gets you the Return to Bree skill (though at +30 rep each, they're not exactly getting you there by themselves).

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 23, 2013

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I've been sitting around 250 gold for a while now...I spend on all kinds of things cause I don't care about the cost anymore. Before my acct was hacked and sold off...I had over 500 gold across all my chars.

If I were to empty out my bank of sellable things, I could probably add another 200 gold right there.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Jees...I have something like 20 gold on my main character. Granted, I did buy some expensive (as always) ore to do some craft leveling, but that was it. I have maybe 40-50 gold across five characters.

What the hell are you people doing to get so much?

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I started over on a new server and have around 40 gold at level 38, I feel like I'm doing pretty well. I basically hold onto every one of those scholar crafting things and sell those but I actually make a decent chunk of money from leveling weaponsmithing. I sell off the items that I crit on and do pretty well there. There's a decent market for low level purple weapons.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

Jees...I have something like 20 gold on my main character. Granted, I did buy some expensive (as always) ore to do some craft leveling, but that was it. I have maybe 40-50 gold across five characters.

What the hell are you people doing to get so much?

Having played since 2007 has a lot to do with it, at least for me. I've basically been very cheap with my gold, only buying necessities. I've never tried any sort of market manipulation and don't have the time for it, but it would be pretty easy to do so on Silverlode since the AH is pretty bare and it wouldn't cost a whole ton of gold to buy out some in-demand items.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ruffz posted:

You basically have to control the auction house. If you are able to put a stranglehold on some items (good luck because people will start searching them out) you can jack up prices but you can also gently caress up and lose a ton of money.

I was able to sell a bunch of wood for about 13 gold in >24 hours because there was none on the market (treated or untreated). I probably could and should have charged 50% more abd I bet I'd have gotten it. Right now my lvl 41 captain has about as much gold as my champion ever did in MoM/SoM at level 65. :v:

e: Would someone who's good at playing a captain post a screenshot of your hotbars? I'm constantly changing mine around and really have no idea what a good setup is for the class. Especially since I don't group much yet.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 24, 2013

Peepod
Nov 12, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Lawl. Good to see LOTRO isn't free from the typical MMO bile of players.

Call me weird, but I've always been fine with the "if you're not raiding, you don't need raid gear" mentality. In some games I raid, in some games I don't. The ePeen and "everyone needs easy ways to get everything" mentalities don't make sense to me.

Speaking of - what IS "end-game" like on LOTRO? Not that I'm overly concerned, just curious. There's obvious things of rep grind, deed grind, doing the repeatable quests for faction (I've found ones for Bree and Lone-lands at least). I've heard about rebuilding some town being a RoR end-game thing. What're the raids like? Are there the typical raid tiers?

I wouldn't mind some info/guide about end-game stuff either. Kinda hard to find on google

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I really need to put some money into this game and get rid of my gold cap. I keep hitting 2g and just end up spending it all on crafting poo poo because there's nothing else to do with it. All the good stuff costs over 2g, so that's out.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

After playing this game off and on since a little before it launched, I've *finally* gotten out of the vanilla content and into the Moria expansion. Set foot in Khazad-Dum for the first time just last night and I'm just making GBS threads myself over how beautiful, massive and perfectly Dwarvish it all is.

I know I'm, what, four/five years late on this, but my god, Turbine did a really amazing job with designing the architecture -- the place is stunning with those soaring pillars, narrow spans, and the sheer drops into blackness. :allears: I've long been a LotR geek, so this is just so thrilling to see "in person".

Gonna play tonight until I fall over from exhaustion. :dance:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Plastic Pal posted:

Set foot in Khazad-Dum for the first time just last night and I'm just making GBS threads myself over how beautiful, massive and perfectly Dwarvish it all is.

And how long until you run off a cliff to your doom because of a perfectly invisible crack that's only visible if you have the camera directly overhead so you can watch where your character is walking? :allears:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So I've been on-and-off playing with my Guardian for six months or so. I've been going with sword and shield. Now I'm level 38 and I got a teal 2H weapon and I thought, sure, I'll try overpowering stance.

:stonk:

And I was already thinking I'm levelling up maybe a touch too fast for my taste (I like completing zones and maxing out rep but I keep outleveling them before I can).

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Plastic Pal posted:

After playing this game off and on since a little before it launched, I've *finally* gotten out of the vanilla content and into the Moria expansion. Set foot in Khazad-Dum for the first time just last night and I'm just making GBS threads myself over how beautiful, massive and perfectly Dwarvish it all is.

I know I'm, what, four/five years late on this, but my god, Turbine did a really amazing job with designing the architecture -- the place is stunning with those soaring pillars, narrow spans, and the sheer drops into blackness. :allears: I've long been a LotR geek, so this is just so thrilling to see "in person".

Gonna play tonight until I fall over from exhaustion. :dance:

You're lucky in that you get to play a post-revamp Moria which has been completely overhauled to streamline the leveling process, not to mention they prettied it up a good deal since it was released. Moria used to be what caused many players to leave the game, but these days if they get that far they're likely to continue and keep playing since everything post-level 45 or so is very smooth now.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Antti posted:

So I've been on-and-off playing with my Guardian for six months or so. I've been going with sword and shield. Now I'm level 38 and I got a teal 2H weapon and I thought, sure, I'll try overpowering stance.

:stonk:

And I was already thinking I'm levelling up maybe a touch too fast for my taste (I like completing zones and maxing out rep but I keep outleveling them before I can).

I'm playing a guardian now but I've never used Overpower stance. Is using a two-hander that good when soloing?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I've only used sword and shield when I needed to tank something. At least in the pre 30s range, I've run almost always with a club and overpower. Multiple signatures? 5 normals? Ain't no thang but a chicken wing.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: Would someone who's good at playing a captain post a screenshot of your hotbars? I'm constantly changing mine around and really have no idea what a good setup is for the class. Especially since I don't group much yet.

I posted a text version of how I have my bars setup somewhere on the first few pages.

The main problem with captain is there's so much stuff that needs to be accessible at a moments notice, that there's not actually enough keys to quick access it all, so I had to figure out a way that made sense to me to allow myself to quickly swap keys around in different situations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I really need to get out of the Lone Lands. Not because it's not fun, I actually like it a lot, but you guys keep talking about all this awesome poo poo, and I want to see it, dammit!

With Quest packs... no one mentioned Enedwaith, Lothlorien, or the Great River... how do they hold up compared to the other stuff? Worth it?

I'll probably cave and buy the Triple pack sometime soon... ends up being basically worth it, even at full price.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I love Lothlorien, but mostly because it's a breath of fresh air after being in Moria for so long. The quests are easy, there are lots of crafting mats, and it's beautiful to look at. That being said, if you do all the Moria and Loth quests you'll be over-leveled for both Mirkwood and Enedwaith. So I just did the Epic in both regions and moved on to Dunland to resume questing. If you do all those quests, you'll then be over-leveled for Great River and could head right to Rohan if you wanted.

As far as quests go, nothing in Lothlorien is a challenge, Enedwaith is really boring, but Great River is better - or at least storywise it sets up the state that Rohan is in before you get there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Prism posted:

I'm playing a guardian now but I've never used Overpower stance. Is using a two-hander that good when soloing?

Do you enjoy finishing every fight in half the time and easily out dpsing elites 5 levels above you?

Then you may enjoy overpower.

Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

The False Face mask scared younger viewers.
:anime: :pipe: :baby:
I recently jumped back on my old Guard who's my highest character of a few that I've played on and off since, apparently, '08. He's 56 now and I'm wondering what's best to do with all these drat legendaries clogging up my bags. I put them all up for auction for dirt cheap and only sold 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Falsey posted:

I recently jumped back on my old Guard who's my highest character of a few that I've played on and off since, apparently, '08. He's 56 now and I'm wondering what's best to do with all these drat legendaries clogging up my bags. I put them all up for auction for dirt cheap and only sold 2.

Deconstruct them at a rune-master.

• Locked thread