Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I doubt there'll be anything to see from the new Zelda in a little over four months considering what we saw of the WW remake was probably barely more than a quick test. We'll see that moving and they'll reiterate that the new one's coming at the most.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

I don't follow the Wii U too much, but any word on a new Mario Party?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm playing through Xenoblade right now, although i'm not familiar with any other game related to the series the waterfalls shown in the new trailer looked exactly like the waterfalls in the forest area of Xenoblade. Regardless, I don't care at this point because Xenoblade is so good i'm picking up whatever Xeno game it is they are showing.

HD Wind Waker... I didn't even know I wanted this until they mentioned it. I'm glad there will be a zelda to play this year! Also user communities...finally we can send each other dickpics, get out frogs and smith faces like god intended.

Playable demos of Mario Kart and a 3D Mario at E3 sounds promising as well, hopefully one of those comes out sooner rather than later.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Teenage Fansub posted:

I doubt there'll be anything to see from the new Zelda in a little over four months considering what we saw of the WW remake was probably barely more than a quick test.

I don't expect for that game to be released until 2015, honestly. Holiday 2014 if they get their poo poo together. Maybe. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in for new Zelda games, I just know it's going to be a long loving time before that hits. I expect some light info and a couple of screens at this year's E3, and a big media dump during E3 2014.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I don't follow the Wii U too much, but any word on a new Mario Party?

Not to my knowledge. I am also amongst the crowd anxiously awaiting Mario Party U. That and either Harvest Moon or Rune Factory.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
The Mii-themed party game shown today looks to take some inspiriation from Mario Party. They're probably saving Mario themed sports/board/etc games for later in the system's life when it needs a sales boost.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's kind of wild when they're just casually namedropping games we'll see at E3, which makes one wonder what they're saving for a debut announcement there. Hell, I think they announced more titles today than they usually do at E3.

They did a lot more telling than showing here, though. It's still pretty good that they dropped as much on us as they did, but who didn't already know we were getting a 3D Mario, a new Zelda and a new Mario Kart? That doesn't mean anything if you don't show me it. That's what E3 will be.

The dude they mentioned being in charge of the new 3D Mario was the dude who was in charge of 3D Land, though, right? I would love to see what he'll do for Mario with a fuller console experience because 3D Land was basically the ideal light, portable Mario experience to me. After NSMB2 and Sticker Star disappointed me a lot I'm really hoping for some good Marios to come soon (Luigi's Mansion will probably gimme my fix though!).

EDIT:

Chaltab posted:

The Mii-themed party game shown today looks to take some inspiriation from Mario Party. They're probably saving Mario themed sports/board/etc games for later in the system's life when it needs a sales boost.

It's straight up a sequel to Wii Party, which was Mario Party with Miis. I had never heard of it until a few months ago but apparently it was one of the Wii's Top 25 best sellers and pretty high on the list at that. It actually sold slightly better than Mario Party 8.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 23, 2013

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Chaltab posted:

IMO Nintendoland is the only Mario Party we'll really need for some time, so this sounds right to me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

EC posted:

I don't expect for that game to be released until 2015, honestly. Holiday 2014 if they get their poo poo together. Maybe. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in for new Zelda games, I just know it's going to be a long loving time before that hits. I expect some light info and a couple of screens at this year's E3, and a big media dump during E3 2014.

Don't most major Zelda games have like a four to five year development time? They likely started around 2010 and this will be the first HD Zelda. That said, Nintendo seems more comfortable having smaller devs help them speed up dev time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nerdbot posted:

They did a lot more telling than showing here, though. It's still pretty good that they dropped as much on us as they did, but who didn't already know we were getting a 3D Mario, a new Zelda and a new Mario Kart? That doesn't mean anything if you don't show me it. That's what E3 will be.

The dude they mentioned being in charge of the new 3D Mario was the dude who was in charge of 3D Land, though, right? I would love to see what he'll do for Mario with a fuller console experience because 3D Land was basically the ideal light, portable Mario experience to me. After NSMB2 and Sticker Star disappointed me a lot I'm really hoping for some good Marios to come soon (Luigi's Mansion will probably gimme my fix though!).

EDIT ^^^^: It's straight up a sequel to Wii Party, which was Mario Party with Miis. I had never heard of it until a few months ago but apparently it was one of the Wii's Top 25 best sellers and pretty high on the list at that.

I think they said the same guy who did 3dland also did the Galaxy games, all fantastic games so the next one should be great. The only news Zelda-wise I really cared about was the bit about rethinking the same loving things all the time and retooling it, thank christ.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

nerdbot posted:

Don't think he mentioned a dude. It's the same team as Galaxy 1, 2 and 3D Land, so there's your console Mario example.

edit: Though, in Tokyo two different teams worked on those. Galaxy 1 by one, 2 and Land by the other, so he was even less specific.
I'd bet on the Galaxy 1 group since they'd have the most time to have worked on it (if the Ocarina port wasn't a huge diversion.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 23, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really hope that not all of the environments for the Monolith game are as drab as the trailer one... the colorful artistry was what made Xenoblade so beautiful despite running on a Wii.

Still excited as hell for coop though :)

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Here's hoping that the new monolith game is pretty far along. Xenoblade was first released in Japan 2 and a half years ago at this point so it may only be another year or so until the new one comes out.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Multiplayer Zelda? I'm gonna guess someone on the touch screen plays navi. At least this time the person saying "hey listen" can be punched. Although I'm still reeeeaaallllyyy excited for a non-linear Zelda game.

I'm so excited for HD Wind Waker, since it's the only Zelda game I havent played.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Multiplayer Zelda? I'm gonna guess someone on the touch screen plays navi. At least this time the person saying "hey listen" can be punched. Although I'm still reeeeaaallllyyy excited for a non-linear Zelda game.

NO

MUST.BE.TINGLE

Danger Man
Jun 29, 2004

Someone is Liable to Get Hurt
So I've had the Wii U for a month and I just now found the stylus. Going to be a little easier to use the touch screen from now on :P

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Bland posted:

Eye colour is different.
Unless he was having a vision!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ViggyNash posted:

I really hope that not all of the environments for the Monolith game are as drab as the trailer one... the colorful artistry was what made Xenoblade so beautiful despite running on a Wii.

Well, trailers are usually known for showing off literally every area and setpiece in an entire game, especially announcement trailers.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Can not wait. These are the announcements that I've been waiting on since I got my Wii U last month. I've never played much Yoshi but I loved Kirby's Epic Yarn so I'll probably pick that up. Xeno2 is pretty much a must-have, and...Wind Waker HD...sigh. :allears: I also forgot how fun Balloon Fight was. I played it a ton thanks to Animal Crossing when I was younger, but I have gotten really bad at it judging by how well I just did. Can't wait for each month to come so I can build up my VC library for cheap.

Between all of this and the 3DS games I want this year, Nintendo is robbing me blind.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
This whole time I've been assuming in my head that the SMT x Fire Emblem crossover was a 3DS title, but everything announced was for the Wii U. Holy poo poo, SMT assets in HD? This is a first, isn't?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nickoten posted:

This whole time I've been assuming in my head that the SMT x Fire Emblem crossover was a 3DS title, but everything announced was for the Wii U. Holy poo poo, SMT assets in HD? This is a first, isn't?

Does Vita count as HD?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Amppelix posted:

Does Vita count as HD?

No. P4G is just a prettied up PS2 remake.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
Obvious guesses for WW tune-up: Tingle tuner on the gamepad, Wiimote conducting
Wild guesses for WW tune-up: Something they want to try feature-wise in advance of the proper new game, like simultaneous gamepad/wiimote 1p play or driving Korl with the gamepad or new puzzles that appear on the gamepad to get through doors or... I don't even know.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Magnatux posted:

Wild guesses for WW tune-up: Something they want to try feature-wise in advance of the proper new game, like simultaneous gamepad/wiimote 1p play or driving Korl with the gamepad or new puzzles that appear on the gamepad to get through doors or... I don't even know.

I hope the tune ups is fix the fetch quest and make sailing not so tedious. :smith:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Please don't add motion controls to Wind Waker

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I didn't feel the trailer for Monolith's new game at all. Then the robot showed. Can't wait for this now. Between their new game and Bayonetta 2 I actually might consider buying the console!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I can't wait for our own Goon Miiverse of silly pictures.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I can't wait for our own Goon Miiverse of silly pictures.

Wii U Discussion - Join the Dongverse

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Magnatux posted:

Is it true they cut one or two full dungeons worth of content from Wind Waker? Because if so, man, I don't even want to jinx it, but

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Is it true they cut one or two full dungeons worth of content from Wind Waker? Because if so, man, I don't even want to jinx it, but

Yes, the prototype data was on the disc, accessible untextured via game shark.

Presumably one would be for the third pearl, and the other would be another sanctuary, perhaps to reform the triforce of courage.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Yeah, Wind Waker's production was rushed and the Fire and Ice Islands where you get the Power Bracelet and the Iron Boots, respectively, were reduced from full on dungeons to mini-dungeons smaller than the Ice Cave from OOT.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Yeah, but in one of the cases the filler was acceptable cause of trope inversion. "You thought there was gonna be a dungeon here? Psyche"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder why they didn't confirm N64 or Gamecube VC for Wii U today.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spacebump posted:

They are still working on converting the older games for the big NES and SNES libraries. Plus adding some GBA because it'll feel new.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wow, what a loving day. I'm going to buy goddamn everything they announced. Also SMASH BROS AT E3 WOOO

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Spacebump posted:

Also, it is smart to save some announcements for later considering today's 24 hour media and the audience's tendency to treat week old news as if it were published a decade ago. It is more important now than ever to gradually release info instead of all at once if you want to keep that spotlight.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It'll probably be more exciting to announce stuff like that at E3 along with the new Wii U games to help get some attention, keep some of that focus on Wii U what with all the Durangoes and Orbii coming out.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

just a butt posted:

Yeah, but in one of the cases the filler was acceptable cause of trope inversion. "You thought there was gonna be a dungeon here? Psyche"

On the other hand, having them be full dungeons with no warning or fanfare would be a great return to the "Surprise! It's a dungeon" feeling of discovery in the original game and, to a lesser extent, Link to the Past.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I think all of Miyamoto's games since the SNES era have had cut content. I mean, Super Mario World was only half-done according to him.

Personally, I thought Wind Waker was very near perfect as it was. The sailing complaints always baffled me, because once you get the warp song (which is pretty early on), you can be anywhere you want nearly instantly. And sailing is also a lot less tedious than trudging across Hyrule Field. The triforce charts bit also wasn't that bad. A lowlight, sure, but it was not the awful grind everyone says it is. It's my favorite 3D Zelda game and, in fact, the last 3D Zelda game I liked at all. This HD remake, along with Pikmin 3, is making the Wii U seem like a great idea to me, even though I cannot afford to buy one right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Cannot Find Server posted:

Personally, I thought Wind Waker was very near perfect as it was. The sailing complaints always baffled me, because once you get the warp song (which is pretty early on), you can be anywhere you want nearly instantly.
The warp song is a long way into the game. And you can only go so many places. I didn't mind the sailing, but stuff is more spread out than necessary.

quote:

The triforce charts bit also wasn't that bad. A lowlight, sure, but it was not the awful grind everyone says it is.
It's not that it's a grind, it's just that the triforce collection is aggressively uninteresting.

• Locked thread