Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Rush is frothing at the mouth over Hillary Clinton. Apparently she was promised the presidency because she stuck it out with Bill in the 90s. But then the party snubbed her for the young black guy.

And this 15 minute rant is finally wrapped up with, her campaign debt was paid off last week therefore she testified today.

Now the Democratic Party circled the wagons, cleaned her slate for 2016. She is finally getting paid back for moving to Arkansas with Bill. But only of Obama decides to abdicate, and then he points to the Queen of England making Prince Charles wait 85 years to be king.

Yeah I heard this too. The whole "Clinton will run for President... but only if Obama decides to abdicate the Presidency" was really astounding. I hear this poo poo all the time on right-wing websites, but hearing it from one of the prominent mouthpieces of the right-wing media is just astounding. In addition to all this, he's been referring to Obama's inauguration as his "immacculation" (:laugh:), and even placing the term abdicate next to the word Presidency, is a clever use of words to reinforce the narrative that Obama is now our God King. It's been said before, but Limbaugh is masterful at framing things to appeal to his listener's beliefs.

Has a President in this country ever refused to step down from office? Obviously our first black President will do this as payback for slavery :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Phone posted:

In a shocking turn of events, Bill O'Reilly predicted that the president will have an unproductive second term unless if he has "a radical change in [his] thinking".

Let's check out Billy's first term predictions:

If only Obama was as awesome as Carter. :smith:

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2013/01/21/an-obama-second-term-defies-oreilly-book/

The majority of the books seems to be "this will fail/a bad thing will happen, just you wait and see! The president is a Pinhead!" (O’Reilly's emphasis on pinhead, not mine.)

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Spacedad posted:

Oh for fucks sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x8fkDQBlxE

Fox News guy claiming 'lie of the century' as 'true.' Bright.

Chrysler is moving all jeep production to China != Chrysler will be producing some jeeps in China to meet the growing demand there

Why is this so hard to get?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Radish posted:

I admit I am curious how exactly the dialogue will change so that they can still pretend that Benghazi is the biggest scandal ever.

Marching orders are in.

edit

Drudge is just making me want to watch the cspan archive, it sounds awesome. Gonna have to make time for it tomorrow.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

kik2dagroin posted:

Yeah I heard this too. The whole "Clinton will run for President... but only if Obama decides to abdicate the Presidency" was really astounding. I hear this poo poo all the time on right-wing websites, but hearing it from one of the prominent mouthpieces of the right-wing media is just astounding. In addition to all this, he's been referring to Obama's inauguration as his "immacculation" (:laugh:), and even placing the term abdicate next to the word Presidency, is a clever use of words to reinforce the narrative that Obama is now our God King. It's been said before, but Limbaugh is masterful at framing things to appeal to his listener's beliefs.

Has a President in this country ever refused to step down from office? Obviously our first black President will do this as payback for slavery :smuggo:

They aren't going to stop saying absurd things and making hilarious accusations, ever, because it keeps their opposition off balance and on defense. And confuses the poo poo out of everyone. Stop laughing at it, because they get their way no matter how right you are. President Obama as a person doesn't even exist in their world, only their made-up version of him does. I don't think some of them would recognize the guy if they saw him on the street, such is the extent to which they believe their insane caricatures of him. They've found a way to short circuit public opinion, and the left has demonstrated over decades that it has no plans of finding the counter to this technique, and would prefer to be kicked some more.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Ah Pook posted:

Anywhere there's upper-middle class whites who've vacationed in Europe. Hell, even my god damned mom has a "gypsy pickpocket!" story.

It's one of those things that's impossible to discuss on an open forum because the best case scenario is you'll be labeled a racist. So the issue doesn't get discussed except when a far right guy comes up with a clever way to deport them all.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Goatman Sacks posted:

Chrysler is moving all jeep production to China != Chrysler will be producing some jeeps in China to meet the growing demand there

Why is this so hard to get?

Because all American cars must be made in America! Even if it's cheaper to build them in the country they're intended to be sold to as opposed to building them in America and then shipping them half-way around the world. The free market is horrible, isn't it, conservatives?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Tonk posted:

Marching orders are in.

edit

Drudge is just making me want to watch the cspan archive, it sounds awesome. Gonna have to make time for it tomorrow.

Rand Paul decided to grandstand a bit, saying he'd have fired Clinton, and that this was the "biggest tragedy since 9/11" :rolleyes:

Not to trivialize it, but seriously, it was 4 people.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Goatman Sacks posted:

Rand Paul decided to grandstand a bit, saying he'd have fired Clinton, and that this was the "biggest tragedy since 9/11" :rolleyes:

Yeah, nothing else tragic has happened that could possibly compare. Nothing at all. I mean it's not like 20 elementary school kids were recently murdered or anything.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Sir Tonk posted:

Marching orders are in.

edit

I just watched her measured and laying-down-the-facts speech this morning and here drudge is predictably trying to spin her as "CRAZY LADY."

Among other things, house republicans have repeatedly blocked and cut funding for better security at embassy locations around the world including Benghazi. What you're seeing over Benghazi has more to do with congressional republican obstructionism creating long-term problems than republicans would care to admit. That's why they're trying as hard as they can to spin this as the fault of the administration rather than the house loving poo poo up - because it really should be a scandal about the house republicans instead of the deliberately misdirected made-up scandal republicans are trying to pin on the administration.

It's about time someone turned this around on the party that deserves the most blame. Drudge and other republicans are going to whine and screech now, when really it's been themselves all along who've been trying to misdirect the fact that republicans were responsible for the poo poo security at our embassies with no mystery involved.

More importantly: gently caress them for trying to pin Vilerat's death on people other than themselves.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 23, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Goatman Sacks posted:

Question: Was there as big a backlash against Reagan in the wake of the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing in which 200 US Marines were killed?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Spacedad posted:

I just watched her measured and laying-down-the-facts speech this morning and here drudge is predictably trying to spin her as "CRAZY LADY."

Among other things, house republicans have repeatedly blocked funding for better security at consulates around the world including Benghazi. What you're seeing over Benghazi has more to do with congressional republican obstructionism creating long-term problems than republicans would care to admit.

Funding nonwithstanding, the GOP is taking the position that all these embassies around the world should be expected to be completely safe at all times and that any given incident at any hotspot can be predicted with one hundred percent certainty and prevented, which is laughable. Every president in the modern era including all the GOP ones have had similar or greater loss of life in such attacks. It's only because it's a Democrat in the White House that they are trying to create some gigantic scandal out of it.

The Bin Laden assassination raid, in contrast to Bush's record, further fuels the GOP fire to make a mountain out of any foreign policy molehill.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Laying out the facts isn't going to put this thing to rest, she and Obama should have leaped down the throats of every ringleader on the right, called them unpatriotic, craven and opportunistic wretches. It happens to right-wing guys so rarely, when someone way up high does it, they just piss their pants and walk away muttering liberalsliberals...liberals!. Since Obama can't do that and Hillary can't do it alone, I kind of look forward to him going away so someone who knows how to handle these guys can step in and begin to stall their gains.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Crasscrab posted:

Question: Was there as big a backlash against Reagan in the wake of the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing in which 200 US Marines were killed?

Well he invaded a country 2 days later so I think that would have taken up some media attention.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Zwabu posted:

Funding nonwithstanding, the GOP is taking the position that all these embassies around the world should be expected to be completely safe at all times and that any given incident at any hotspot can be predicted with one hundred percent certainty and prevented, which is laughable. Every president in the modern era including all the GOP ones have had similar or greater loss of life in such attacks. It's only because it's a Democrat in the White House that they are trying to create some gigantic scandal out of it.

The Bin Laden assassination raid, in contrast to Bush's record, further fuels the GOP fire to make a mountain out of any foreign policy molehill.

This is also true, but nuance like this of course is unimportant when you're trying to hoodwink the conservative voting public, and confuse the issue to non-conservative people. People should be coming after republican heads with guillotines over this - not because of their failure to fund embassy security alone, but trying to blame the administration for their own colossal gently caress-up.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

agarjogger posted:

Laying out the facts isn't going to put this thing to rest, she and Obama should have leaped down the throats of every ringleader on the right, called them unpatriotic, craven and opportunistic wretches. It happens to right-wing guys so rarely, when someone way up high does it, they just piss their pants and walk away muttering liberalsliberals...liberals!. Since Obama can't do that and Hillary can't do it alone, I kind of look forward to him going away so someone who knows how to handle these guys can step in and begin to stall their gains.

Indirectly, she essentially did - and now you are seeing them do exactly that.

The fact is that house republicans are the chief party who can be blamed for this, due to their repeated blocks on embassy security funding. The sputtering and misogynistic blather now directed at Hillary is of course argumentum ad hominem bullshit, attacking Hillary while failing to address the fact that this is primarily the fuckup of the republicans, who have been systematically trying to shift blame onto the administration.

There's already a lot of people starting to sharpen their proverbial hatchets to go after Republicans after Hillary's speech today; and the GOP knows it, so they're going reflexively into scientology-style 'attack attack attack never defend' mode when they really should be starting to try to defend that this is a problem largely created by themselves, which they've tried to use as political cannon fodder on others.

I don't think I've ever seen the GOP sink this low, ever - playing shift-the-blame games with the memory of one of our late posters no less. The loathing I have for the GOP as a direct result of their Benghazi misdirection, lying, theatrics, and blame-shifting is seething with the fury of a thousand suns. I don't think I've ever genuinely hated an entire political party so much in my life. The entirety of the GOP establishment needs to be gutted from the inside-out before it will even remotely resemble anything American and Patriotic anymore - let alone human.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 23, 2013

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Spacedad posted:

The entirety of the GOP establishment needs to be gutted from the inside-out before it will even remotely resemble anything American and Patriotic anymore

Freepers would agree with this statement even though you both want the opposite thing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I've always been fascinated by conservative blogger Dave Blount AKA Van Helsing of moonbattery.com because he is one of those bloggers who is quite clearly actually loving insane. Anyways, earlier today he coined a new phrase in a headline that I think perfectly sums up the weird double-think/word salad of conservative terminology.

The headline is "Anarcho-Tyranny in the UK".

Think about that. Anarcho-Tyranny. Anarcho-Tyranny.

EDIT: Doing some research its apparently been part of the paleoconservative/white power movement lexicon for about two decades.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 23, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
But how can there be tyranny if there's no government? :psyduck:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Crasscrab posted:

The closest explanation I got was:

"The government responds to the lawlessness of criminals by putting restrictions on law abiding citizens."

Which, of course, is neither the definition for anarchy or tyranny and jesus why am I actually bothering to think about this.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Crasscrab posted:

The same way Obama can be both an Atheist and Muslim at the same time.

Bad + Bad = Really Bad, you guys.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

"Anarcho-Tyranny in the UK".

Think about that. Anarcho-Tyranny. Anarcho-Tyranny.

EDIT: Doing some research its apparently been part of the paleoconservative/white power movement lexicon for about two decades.

They just liked the name of the old Sex Pistols classic song and tried to incorporate it into a clever slogan. It's as simple as that, really.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zwabu posted:

They just liked the name of the old Sex Pistols classic song and tried to incorporate it into a clever slogan. It's as simple as that, really.

Obviously its based off the song but that doesn't make it not awe-inspiringly stupid and pure gibberish.

I would not write an article about the Parliamentary elections and call it "Anarcho-democracy in the UK" or about the London Olympics and call it "Anarcho-athleticism in the UK"

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

eggsovereasy posted:

Freepers would agree with this statement even though you both want the opposite thing.

Freepers are part of what needs to be gutted from the GOP, really. Delusional not-dealing-with-reality constantly-lying always-demonizing always-blaming-others-for-poo poo-you-cause projectionist bullshit needs to die before we can have something resembling a functioning political party anymore. Right now it's just gerrymandered desperate obstructionist power-clingers and not much else.

Zwabu posted:

Arguably, brainlessly anti-government boy-band twits like the sex pistols helped clear a path for Thatcher's Tory brutes.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 23, 2013

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Why did the YouTube video stuff even get brought up in the hearings? That alone tells me that republicans don't give a gently caress about Ambassador Stevens.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I love the Drudge :siren:Women To Combat Frontlines:siren: like its something brand new. He's crafty.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I love the Drudge :siren:Women To Combat Frontlines:siren: like its something brand new. He's crafty.

All those women that have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan probably just tripped and busted their heads or something.

Also, do we really have "front lines" anymore?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zwabu posted:

I sincerely doubt that many of them are fans of the Sex Pistols.

Then again, who knows? One thing that hasn't been touched on much in this thread is AM Radio's/Conservative Media's exploitation of music, from The Pretenders "Back to Ohio" (ruined forever by El Rushbo) to "Born in the USA", Rage Against the Machine's "Sleep Now in the Fire" and Prince's "Sign O the Times". Usually, it's music with a message that flies in the face of conservative thought, but that doesn't stop them from using it to frame their message from day to day.

If I were Chrissie Hynde, Bruce or Prince, I'd be super pissed off at how many of these assholes were ruining my songs. Mostly Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders, because the "Rush Limbaugh Theme Song" is the first thing people think of when they hear a few bars of "Back to Ohio".

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I just turned to the Glenn Beck program on the Blaze channel... And he is debunking the Sandy Hook conspiracy point by point :stare: I literally have never agreed with anything he has said before.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

All those women that have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan probably just tripped and busted their heads or something.

Also, do we really have "front lines" anymore?

There are no fronts in Afghanistan or Iraq, just a couple trouble areas that are under our control on paper.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Miltank posted:

I just turned to the Glenn Beck program on the Blaze channel... And he is debunking the Sandy Hook conspiracy point by point :stare: I literally have never agreed with anything he has said before.

'We're starting to look a little too crazy guys...'

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Miltank posted:

Welp it only took a national tragedy but we've finally found something too stupid and crazy for beck to buy into.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I sincerely doubt that many of them are fans of the Sex Pistols.

Then again, who knows? One thing that hasn't been touched on much in this thread is AM Radio's/Conservative Media's exploitation of music, from The Pretenders "Back to Ohio" (ruined forever by El Rushbo) to "Born in the USA", Rage Against the Machine's "Sleep Now in the Fire" and Prince's "Sign O the Times". Usually, it's music with a message that flies in the face of conservative thought, but that doesn't stop them from using it to frame their message from day to day.

If I were Chrissie Hynde, Bruce or Prince, I'd be super pissed off at how many of these assholes were ruining my songs. Mostly Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders, because the "Rush Limbaugh Theme Song" is the first thing people think of when they hear a few bars of "Back to Ohio".
Chrissie Hynde donates the proceeds from licensing that song to PETA, so she gets the last laugh there.

And Springsteen has publicly slammed right-wingers for misinterpreting his songs on more than a few occasions.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DaveWoo posted:

And Springsteen has publicly slammed right-wingers for misinterpreting his songs on more than a few occasions.

He slammed Ronald Reagan himself back when his campaign was using "Born in the USA" during the 1984 campaign. The Boss rules.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Crasscrab posted:

In the absence of a strong and civilized society, the strong will tyrannize the weak even more?
Sounds kind of Hobbesian, actually. Isn't Leviathan about how you need your own, better tyranny to prevent the rather messier anarcho-tyranny? It's on my to-read list...possibly as some kind of anti-Atlas Shrugged, also on my to-read list.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Miltank posted:

Yeah I was listening to him yesterday morning and he was like "no, this is retarded" and then went on to talk about the "real conspiracies" like the Patriot Act, indefinite detention, and such.

Of course people hate the Patriot Act because it allows the government to spy on white people and would be totally fine if it was limited to people from predominantly Muslim countries, but still. It would be cool if conservative paranoia killed the Patriot Act.

Plastics.
May 3, 2012
one word
Grimey Drawer

Miltank posted:

I went looking for this and landed on the article on the front page. All pleasantly surprising. And then I read the comments, what the gently caress was I thinking.

quote:

I guess I have just one question? Where are the wounded?

Children are the most resilient age group and yet there is not one wounded survivor. Not one who a cop found with a pulse, not one that made it to an ambulance and not one that died at the hospital.

All mass shootings have wounded except this one.

Children are the most resilient age group, how were they mown down so easily by bullets :catstare:

The rest were "I'm still just asking questions and no one is answering these increasingly stupid ones" and "Are you kidding me, now Glenn Beck is towing [sic] the government line too."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Man, you're a fuckin' idiot. We all know that children have Wolverine's healing factor from the X-Men comics.

Plastics.
May 3, 2012
one word
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Man, you're a fuckin' idiot. We all know that children have Wolverine's healing factor from the X-Men comics.

Then why don't people know? My god this conspiracy runs deep. I'm in.

Edit: I wonder if you could just lead people deeper and deeper into crazyland until you eventually punched through to the side of reason. The Blaze should have been more tactful, carefully laying down increasingly unlikely-sounding tidbits, until taking a step back would show that what they assembled was the official story.

Plastics. fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Miltank posted:

Same thing happened to me tonight when I found myself agreeing with something I heard Sean Hannity say. Try as I might, off the top of my head, I still can't remember what it was and I'm still trying to scrub the disgrace, shame and dirt off of me for even feeling that way about anything he'd ever say in a way that makes feel like a rape victim who wonders if she was asking for it.

Dammit. I wish I could remember what it was he said.

edit: That was it! Sandy Hook. Some guy called and pointed how so many right wing crazy people are saying it was staged/never happened. Sean said that was ridiculous, we know it happened, etc. Then he went on to say ask "how'd you get the idea that right wing media would ever suggest such nonsense?" and "who's propagating that sort of dumb bullshit" and I changed the channel.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 24, 2013