Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:

The Joe Man posted:

:frogsiren: FOR ANYONE NEW THAT NEEDS SOMETHING TO READ FOR CRITIQUES :frogsiren:

Summerset Hills

Here's my shot at it:

Would love some feedback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

JossiRossi posted:

Your voice deserves better recording circumstances. :gonk:
Well ok the writing on both of these is atrocious. I'll try to push that out though. Your consistency in doing a voice for a long period of time while reading a story is really impressive, but there's something that's not quite there for me. In this Noir bit, I feel like I'd have a hard time listening to it for what may need to be hours. There's a nasally quality that seems to be accentuated with this particular reading style. I think that's what is really hitting me. As I listen I start ignoring the gruff part of the voice and begin to mostly just hear the nasal portions.

"Blood Everywhere" around these words I am catching your Expander usage as there is a very noticeable drop in the background noise. In these parts I can hear a background hum and then when you stop talking it noticeably disappears. Those are really frustrating for me as it distracts my attention from the words and performance and draws attention to the man behind the curtain. I would almost prefer that a background hum continue (albeit lowered in volume) than to be removed entirely, it's less jarring. I'm not sure if it's this background noise dropping in and out but the reading sounds rather stilted. The flow seems to just die between sentences. It's almost as if each line were their own takes.

Most of the technical problems are worse in the Heirs audition. I'm thinking that's your computer fan making the noise I am hearing. Your ability to do a range of voices in the Heir clip is really impressive again. That's definitely a strength you have, but there's at times a bit of a disconnect, and at others it just feels a bit too hard. I'd rather have a feeling that the story is read by one person with less exaggerated personifications than to have a suspicion that lines were done separately and pieced together audio drama style.

And here I thought I had good ears. Didn't think anyone would catch it but you hit the nail on the head (aside from the really obvious technical click/pop issues). What I plan to do now is replace my 2 case exhaust fans with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CQU12C/ & http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XISTXM/. Should alleviate most/all case noise, which is a definite problem at the moment.

I'll over-edit in between lines like I normally do, but THEN I'll record 10 minutes of wild noise which I can copy over & over again to create one long file to layer under the whole shebang like a music bed (which should solve the problem of it sounding like "separate takes" and immitate a natural, ridiculously long perfect read).

I apparently like doing things the hard way.

EDIT: Ordered. Popscreen & computer fans, happy birthday to meeee

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 20, 2012

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Adib posted:

I live in Austin, TX—fairly big and hip city. I wonder if those sorts of classes are available here?

Studio E has taught me well. It's in Ceder Hill, so it's a bit of a drive.

WhollyChao
Jul 16, 2005

Stand Up Or Give Up

A Child's Letter posted:

Here's my shot at it:

I'm by no means an audio expert, but there's definitely a compressed, echoey sound to this reading. I'm not certain if you're applying some kind of effect or if it's just your mic/setup. Like I said, one of the experts may know.
The other thing you want to work on (aside from the technical side of it) is emoting a bit more. Think about it this way, if it SOUNDS like your reading it, people aren't going to connect with it. I (personally) think a good read sounds like one side of a conversation.
You want people to be excited about Somerset Hills and how moving there indicates an upgrade in status and a safe haven for their family. Those are the triggers to get them to buy a house. You're not just communicating information, you're invoking a dream and a deep seated desire for safety and success. Get excited about it!

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:

WhollyChao posted:

I'm by no means an audio expert, but there's definitely a compressed, echoey sound to this reading. I'm not certain if you're applying some kind of effect or if it's just your mic/setup. Like I said, one of the experts may know.
The other thing you want to work on (aside from the technical side of it) is emoting a bit more. Think about it this way, if it SOUNDS like your reading it, people aren't going to connect with it. I (personally) think a good read sounds like one side of a conversation.
You want people to be excited about Somerset Hills and how moving there indicates an upgrade in status and a safe haven for their family. Those are the triggers to get them to buy a house. You're not just communicating information, you're invoking a dream and a deep seated desire for safety and success. Get excited about it!

Thanks for the feedback! You're right about the mic setup: it's terrible, and I'll have to work on it. As for emoting, after listening to it a few times, I agree with you, and know that that's another thing to work on. I'll post another take when I have time to tweak things and re-record.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

CuddleChunks posted:

Look at how wrong you are:

That was beautiful. :3:

Question for the savvy folks: Has anyone else listened to the Harry Potter audiobooks? Jim Dale is apparently some god-king of VO work, but all I can remember of him was his high-pitched Hermione voice going, "Oh Harreeeeeeeeeee," and thinking it was ridiculous. I would assume that's not the goal, but maybe I'm just one of the weirdos who didn't like it? I dunno.

(I may have also fallen asleep while listening, hence my lack of memory.)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
As someone who got a Blue Yeti for Christmas, how do I fit a pop filter on one of these guys?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

As someone who got a Blue Yeti for Christmas, how do I fit a pop filter on one of these guys?

I figured someone would get back to you by now but this is the vid I followed for "The Pop": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQkKVUxa2_4

The filter is actually heavy enough to swing the whole thing down at certain angles so it takes some tinkering but I got it to stay in a decent spot.

I'll get to some reviews/critiques when I can; sorry for the delay!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I just got my 4th Blue Yeti Pro from Blue. They promised this one won't be a giant piece of crap. I would recommend to take the Yeti off its stupid, pointless base and just stick it on a regular mic stand and attach the poop filter as one would normally. Although I don't have a fancy Blue pop filter.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

King Lou posted:

I just got my 4th Blue Yeti Pro from Blue. They promised this one won't be a giant piece of crap. I would recommend to take the Yeti off its stupid, pointless base and just stick it on a regular mic stand and attach the poop filter as one would normally. Although I don't have a fancy Blue pop filter.

Quoting for "poop filter"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Actually, my father (a media director for the state) didn't like what Blue offered in pop filters, so he gave me a Sterling Audio PF2. Am I going to have to dismantle my Yeti in order to get the pop filter to attach?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

Actually, my father (a media director for the state) didn't like what Blue offered in pop filters, so he gave me a Sterling Audio PF2. Am I going to have to dismantle my Yeti in order to get the pop filter to attach?

Looking at this pic, you should be able to do the exact same thing I did which is outlined in the video I linked previously.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Testing out my Yeti with a topic I do enjoy.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

Stand up!

Get some more air into your lungs, you're fading out at the end of your sentences.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

CuddleChunks posted:

Stand up!

Get some more air into your lungs, you're fading out at the end of your sentences.

My asthma was acting up. I stood, sat, lied down, but I still was having trouble breathing.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

My asthma was acting up. I stood, sat, lied down, but I still was having trouble breathing.

:( OH dang dude. Well, you'll be the best judge of how much air you can hold at once but working on lung capacity is going to make your job easier. Also cutting the length of sentences down so that you can nab a quick breath as you go.

WhollyChao
Jul 16, 2005

Stand Up Or Give Up
Just did a read for an audiobook, and I'd love to know what y'all think:

Also, I think my read of Somerset Hills got buried at the end of the last page, so I'm gonna repost it:

I got an actual comment on my voice from the casting director for a book. They said my voice was "quirky but interesting" which is kind of a backhanded compliment, and that I talk too fast. Let me know what you think!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

:frogsiren: CRITIQUES :frogsiren:

Stratafyre posted:

I'm not aiming to do anything professionally, but I've noticed that the short stories and LPs I've been recording seem to have my breathing rather upfront and obvious in Audacity. I don't think it's noticeable in the final product, but is there any way to neutralize this?

Edit; And for the sake of an example:

Can anyone hear any of the breathing in that?
Actually pretty decent, and great enunciation considering the faster tempo. More emotion on "must feel good," and "safe and secluded street to raise kids," and more urgency on "before the first snowfall."

Technically too quiet but no glaring issues.

A Child's Letter posted:

Here's my shot at it:

Echoey and I can hear your computer fan or something in the background. A bit rollercoastery. Also robotic. Try to be more conversational and actually read it like you're telling someone about this perfect place. It's incredibly obvious that you're reading from a script, and you don't want that.

Advice: Actually ingest the words/sentence structure and think about the best way to read it with the end goal of that person moving into Somerset from your words alone. Overbearing, hokey, whatever, if you can hammer the robot out of your voice into a smooth conversational flow, it's easier to tone back the drama afterwards.

Just looked at WhollyChao's response and he's completely right. Looking forward to hearing another take!

CaptainYesterday posted:

You got some mumblemouth goin on, buddy. Half of your enunciation is good, the other half is mumbly. Try a Somerset take when you're feeling better and we can work on the technicalities.

WhollyChao posted:

Also, I think my read of Somerset Hills got buried at the end of the last page, so I'm gonna repost it:

I got an actual comment on my voice from the casting director for a book. They said my voice was "quirky but interesting" which is kind of a backhanded compliment, and that I talk too fast. Let me know what you think!
Coaching: I like your Coaching read, and I think your voice suits audiobooks really well. The breaths throw me off but I'm used to producing commercials so maybe they're supposed to be there, I'm not sure. Your enunciation is great too. "Managerial authority and responsibility in an organization" is slightly mumbled but that sentence friggin sucks. Listening to it a few times, I honestly don't have any other suggestions for this read. Good job!

Somerset: Very light popping on your p-words. Otherwise very decent. I don't have much to critique, sorry! It's definitely airable in it's current state.
--------------------------------
So I just dropped $80 on quiet case fans, another $80 on a Noctua D-14, and then ANOTHER $80 on replacement RAM since my current heatsinks are too high for the D-14. THIS BETTER BE WORTH IT!!

Looking forward to hearing some more clips from everyone!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

WhollyChao posted:

Did you read the script blind or did you have a chance to read through it all the way before your recording? I ask because in the first paragraph the section about "HR - Human Resources" seems disconnected from the sentences surrounding it. This is a pattern with your reading. Parenthetical statements stand out because you read them as if they were new sentences. It leads to some really bizarre non-sequiturs like, "DOTLICK AND CAIRO." What? It wasn't until I listened to the whole piece again that I caught that you were reading quotations from various people. They just sound weird as hell when you read them without any introduction or context that this is a quote.

It would have been helpful if your client would allow some minor changes to the text in favor of making the audio version clearer. "A quote from Dotlich and Cairo - <blah blah blah>, endquote." You don't need that on printed text because it's obvious, but spoken text needs more helpers to get the point across that you're quoting from some source, not just shouting random words in the middle of sentences.

The technical side sounded fine, no gripes on the recording. As always, try slowing down a bit to make sure people have time to understand what you've said before you move on to the next sentence.

WhollyChao
Jul 16, 2005

Stand Up Or Give Up

CuddleChunks posted:

Did you read the script blind or did you have a chance to read through it all the way before your recording? I ask because in the first paragraph the section about "HR - Human Resources" seems disconnected from the sentences surrounding it. This is a pattern with your reading. Parenthetical statements stand out because you read them as if they were new sentences. It leads to some really bizarre non-sequiturs like, "DOTLICK AND CAIRO." What? It wasn't until I listened to the whole piece again that I caught that you were reading quotations from various people. They just sound weird as hell when you read them without any introduction or context that this is a quote.

It would have been helpful if your client would allow some minor changes to the text in favor of making the audio version clearer. "A quote from Dotlich and Cairo - <blah blah blah>, endquote." You don't need that on printed text because it's obvious, but spoken text needs more helpers to get the point across that you're quoting from some source, not just shouting random words in the middle of sentences.

Yeah, I agree that's a little strange, but it's the script I was given. I guess at this point, with no real background to speak of, I'm hesitant to adapt a script without permission, so I just read what they give me. Thanks for the insight! I actually have 2 more audiobook samples that I'm recording today. Gonna try to read slower without sounding ridiculous. I'm from the northeast originally, so I just talk naturally fast, but I live in TN now, so I gotta let some slow South in!

Joe, I thought about dealing with the breathing, but I listened to a couple business audiobooks and breathing is present, so I kinda just said, "gently caress it".

WhollyChao fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 31, 2012

WhollyChao
Jul 16, 2005

Stand Up Or Give Up
Here's my first real attempt at fiction. Not certain that I'm ideally suited for it, so I'd appreciate any input y'all may have. Might stick to non-fiction as much as I can. I also tried slowing down a bit and taking out a bit of the audible breathing. Love having this kind of feedback, so thanks again!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

VO related. My friend Sam Riegel and his friend, who are both professional voice actors, have started a podcast about their lives in VA. Its not very serious but they state that up front. Sam is probably one of the busiest people I know. He's never not working and he comes from an annoyingly super successful family. Anyway, I thought if people wanted to hear about the industry from the voice of Donatello and his friend it could be worth a shot.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/allworknoplay/id583666188?mt=2

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Question: What software can I use to avoid getting the pops between audio clips as heard in this example?

You can hear several within the first minute, after "No man", "Famous tourneys", "slightly", etc. I'm using Sony Vegas 12 just cutting up the audio and I can't figure out how to make it 100% seamless. I assume this is possible since all the clips are from the same "Session" ?

You can critique it if you want but I'm just hamming it up for the awe-inspiring Book Barn Game of Thrones 50 Shades Of Grey knockoff goon project. I'm mainly just trying to figure out how to avoid getting those drat pops, they drive me nuts.

E: figured it out, just had to drag every new clip over a bit so they're overlapping rather than directly side by side.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 22, 2013

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Online live stream about recording Audible audiobooks right now go go go go

https://www.sagfoundation.org/videogallery/livestream

It's through SAG so I don't know how helpful it will be for non-union folks but I don't suppose it can hurt.

Tinsin
Nov 3, 2012
My apologies in advance for the character voice, but here is half of a conversation between Karkat and Sollux from that ever-so-popular comic with the ever-so-unpopular fandom, Homestuck. Aside of the lisp, which was just for the character, it's the closest recording to my normal voice that I currently have. Is my recording setup better this time?

Oh poo poo, actually, I just remembered, I think this one was recorded in the breakroom and people wouldn't stop talking. So maybe this isn't the best clip to submit, but yeah. Disregard the breakroom rabble? Question mark?

My apologies and thanks again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-369iwJShlE

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, I might have an opportunity for some people in this thread.

There's a particularly large project happening for the open source sci-fi flight sim Freespace 2. The project is called Blue Planet: War in Heaven and they are looking for voice actors - a lot of voice actors. I'll let the opening post from their VA recruitment thread speak for itself.

quote:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80659.0

Blue Planet is a gritty, dark psychological drama set against the backdrop of an interstellar war. In spite of its science fiction trappings, it’s more Hurt Locker or Band of Brothers than it is Star Wars. When it comes to voice acting, we look for underplayed, believable, naturalistic performances; think of the recent classic SF series Battlestar Galactica; we would rather have underacting than overacting.

You will be working on Blue Planet 2: War in Heaven, the sequel to the original Blue Planet. Because Blue Planet is one of the most popular and respected projects in our community, you can expect to be heard by somewhere between 3000 and 5000 players. Actors from the first Blue Planet drew such praise that many of our fans thought we’d hired professionals, and we’re hoping to maintain that standard.

You can expect your work to be posted on YouTube. You are welcome to use it as a reference on a resume, CV, or demo reel.

Blue Planet 2 has already been released without voice acting, and our characters drew a lot of fan praise and attention. You will be bringing life to roles that are already beloved by many, but you will also be defining them. If our first release was anything to go by, you will probably get some fan mail.

I'm posting this here because work appears to have stalled on the HLP boards due to lack of applicants and I'm a huge fan of the Blue Planet series. It, in all honesty, is an exceptional story with great characters and a storyline that makes you feel elated and depressed in equal measure. They are looking for a lot of voices, young and old, male and female, and there's fifty eight parts remaining to be cast (some of these are major, with dozens or hundreds of lines while others have only a few). The thread contains information how to submit your lines, where to submit them to, in what format, and lines for parts currently open for auditions.

I figure some of the people in here might jump at the chance to be part of a project like this.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haven't gotten to catch up with this thread in a while. I wanted to pass along my thanks again for giving me some feedback on that Summerset Hills bit I vomited up a few months back, Joe. It was a great little kick in the rear end and while I haven't really sought work I did end up as a one liner (literally) in a professionally done video for a message campaign. Specifically thinking about who the message is for and "acting" more the part was really helpful (it also helps to be in the zone, hah). It was really fun to do and bullshitting with the director and camera guy gave me some insight into the process on the visual side of things. It'll be cool to see when it is out on youtube or where the hell ever, that's for sure.

On the equipment side of things they finally ended up releasing a shock mount that is made for the Blue Yeti Pro so I'll be checking that out today. Little things make me excited sometimes : )

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 22, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

^^^ Isn't there already a shock mount for the Yeti line? I bought the Blue Radius last year, which includes this in the product description: "Custom shockmount for Blue Microphones Yeti and Yeti Pro microphones".

Does this mount not actually work with the Yeti pro for some reason? I had hoped to continue using it when I eventually trade my Yeti in for a Yeti pro.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's the one. It'll work fine with the Pro. When the Blue Yeti first came out for a good while there was a Blue shock mount out already that didn't work with it and there was nothing out yet to take its place. I guess it would be more accurate to say "I finally checked again" ; )

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I'm going to try and get started in this, and I just wanted some critique on my first try. Any input would be appreciated. I'm using the Yeti Blue microphone just to get started. I tried that Sommerset Hills thing someone posted.

http://tindeck.com/listen/gdgv

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

I've never swore during a recording session, but Summerset Hills got me to swear.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Haven't gotten to catch up with this thread in a while. I wanted to pass along my thanks again for giving me some feedback on that Summerset Hills bit I vomited up a few months back, Joe. It was a great little kick in the rear end and while I haven't really sought work I did end up as a one liner (literally) in a professionally done video for a message campaign.

Great, I'm glad I was able to help get you motivated to do some more work (even it's just practice).

seaborgium posted:

I'm going to try and get started in this, and I just wanted some critique on my first try. Any input would be appreciated. I'm using the Yeti Blue microphone just to get started. I tried that Sommerset Hills thing someone posted.

http://tindeck.com/listen/gdgv

You need to slow down. With how fast you're going, some words are getting lost & muddled. Not a ton, but enough to notice. A much bigger problem however is that you end every sentence on a low note. You start mid-high, go high, then "fade" to low every single time. There's also zero emotion in your read. I'm happy to critique again with a new read, but go back in the thread and listen to some other reads of the same script and mine (and other's) advice on how to improve. Apply it and try again! It's all about practice & sounding natural.

CaptainYesterday posted:

I've never swore during a recording session, but Summerset Hills got me to swear.

You got a bit of a muddle-mouth, which is more pronounced on the Milgard clip, but you can catch it on "safe and secluded" & "move in today" too. I'm going to critique Summerset. You have an odd emphasis on "hills" each time, like you're saying "huzzah!" Your whole sentence structure is really sing-songy, but it's weird because usually that comes out when trying to lock down "fake" emotion...but it still sounds like you're reading from a script.

I have to admit that your take kinda throws me for a loop and it's difficult to critique. I want to lock down what it is so for a 2nd read, tone the energy down a little, start in the mid-range for each sentence (just go with me on this), then adjust your voice to each ending of each sentence with the appropriate emphasis (ie is it a question? Or are you appealing to an emotion of safety? Or are you making sure that the info at the end is clear & succinct? etc...)

Best I can put it is that a voice can be molded like clay, and to do that, I want to start with a clean slate instead of working with a lump mashed together from bits and pieces.

:j: "Mirror mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?"

:smithfrog: ".....Lyle."

swaziloo
Aug 29, 2012
Hey Voice Actors, if you didn't already see it, this happened:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527428&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post412023251

And when neonnoodle wants Thunderdome Radio, neonnoodle gets Thunderdome Radio.

Now, it's my opinion that writing and voice acting are very much not the same skill. Additionally, my narrator sounds female to me, and I'm not. You already know how to record yourself and make it into a good-sounding mp3, and I don't, so here's an idea: I have :10bux: that I'll throw down for a new avatar, platinum upgrade, archives--or even just :10bux: in your paypal account--if you'll read and record my short, flash (science) fiction story. I realize the pay sucks and you shouldn't take this job.

Caveats:
1. I'm not set on a female voice. The characters are two women and a 6-year-old boy. Please send a voice sample link in the PM.
2. It's gonna be short notice, 'cause I'm still on the rewrite and will need to edit and neon wants it by Saturday night. If you can't be responsive, please don't offer.
3. You can retain rights to your recording, but obviously not my story. This means you can use it as part of your demo reel, but my name has to stay on it.
4. If you want to see an early cut to provide feedback I will do my best to accommodate.

Please PM if you're interested. I'll edit if someone takes me up on it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

swaziloo posted:

Hey Voice Actors, if you didn't already see it, this happened:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527428&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post412023251

And when neonnoodle wants Thunderdome Radio, neonnoodle gets Thunderdome Radio.

Now, it's my opinion that writing and voice acting are very much not the same skill. Additionally, my narrator sounds female to me, and I'm not. You already know how to record yourself and make it into a good-sounding mp3, and I don't, so here's an idea: I have :10bux: that I'll throw down for a new avatar, platinum upgrade, archives--or even just :10bux: in your paypal account--if you'll read and record my short, flash (science) fiction story. I realize the pay sucks and you shouldn't take this job.

Caveats:
1. I'm not set on a female voice. The characters are two women and a 6-year-old boy. Please send a voice sample link in the PM.
2. It's gonna be short notice, 'cause I'm still on the rewrite and will need to edit and neon wants it by Saturday night. If you can't be responsive, please don't offer.
3. You can retain rights to your recording, but obviously not my story. This means you can use it as part of your demo reel, but my name has to stay on it.
4. If you want to see an early cut to provide feedback I will do my best to accommodate.

Please PM if you're interested. I'll edit if someone takes me up on it.

I have time to whip this up tonight if we're quick about it. PM the script with the general tone you'd like (deep/smooth/sexy, salesmanish, gruff/gritty, Macho Man Randy Savage, whatever) and I'll send back a quick spec spot (or the whole thing if it's short enough) and go from there.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

I have time to whip this up tonight if we're quick about it. PM the script with the general tone you'd like (deep/smooth/sexy, salesmanish, gruff/gritty, Macho Man Randy Savage, whatever) and I'll send back a quick spec spot (or the whole thing if it's short enough) and go from there.

I sent a PM, but I'll take a crack at it too. I'd ask for the same sort of direction.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
So I have a trailer project that I'm doing, and I was considering just recording the VO on my own since I have a pretty solid voice, but I'm interested if someone can either outdo me or at the very least maybe I'll find some pointers to make my performance better.

Only thing is this is semi-secret and the script can't go public, so I'm wondering if anyone thinks they can do a VO that starts in the style of a science documentary and ulimately transitions to an 'action packed' trailer - PM me if you get what I'm talking about.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

The RPG Stinkmeister & I did some minor roles for just went beta/demo today! You can download the demo (or buy) here:

http://www.malevolencegame.com/buythegame.html

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I just found out a regular customer of mine (I'm in retail) is the V/O guy that did all the "Please keep you hands and feet inside the ride at all times" type thing at Disney Land when I was a kid. I've heard him "put on the voice" before, but I thought he was just a really good impersonator. He said working for Disney for umpteen years was the best job he ever had. Besides recording safety announcements, he MC'd concerts and parades and stuff. So jealous! Hearing him gave me shivers down my arms. He's such a cool nice guy.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

If you live in NY and want to take a VO class a friend of mine who is an agent is teaching a great class. He just posted a video about the class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcveKg5UOpQ

I guess the class is taught where I recorded my demo... I've been slacking off in my VO stuff. Time to get back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nny_ix
Apr 26, 2006

What?

I'm making things interesting!
I've decided to get off my lazy rear end and make a real demo for this thread but my issues are kind of e/n when it comes to doing stuff like that. I won't bore you with those details but I got my hands on an Oktava MK-319 for other video projects I'm working on and I figured gently caress it, might as well see if I can spread my name a little farther. This likely means I'll be doing work for free.