Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
The only changes I'd say really need to be made to Wind Waker are to cut out the middleman and made the Triforce Charts into Triforce Shards (thereby eliminating having to give all of your money to Tingle), and maybe do something to make Forsaken Fortress 1 more fun. Of course, if they did add in the cut dungeons, that'd be fantastic, but I don't think it's a game that's lacking for content without them.

theflyingorc posted:

The warp song is a long way into the game. And you can only go so many places. I didn't mind the sailing, but stuff is more spread out than necessary.

You get it after the third dungeon, after I think four or five sailing segments, and you can warp within I think two square of any given island on the map.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

AlmightyBob posted:

Please don't add motion controls to Wind Waker

Counterpoint: Please add motion controls to Wind Waker

I just discovered something incredible. In the Virtual Console, both Remote 1 and Pad are Player 1. One player on Dpad and one player on Arm Flap for the Ultimate Balloon Trip Co-op Experience

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Cannot Find Server posted:

The triforce charts bit also wasn't that bad. A lowlight, sure, but it was not the awful grind everyone says it is.

I would call it a grind, if only because you need to give Tingle a total of 3,184 rupees to translate all of them (and you do need to do this, or you can't find them), and if you don't have a wallet big enough to hold all of that at once, you have to gather rupees between translating charts, making the process a literal grind.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'd like to see them offer both the original gameplay experience, including Triforce charts, and another option to play with any rebalancing, new dungeons, et cetera. Could be neat-o. Maybe in "Reborn" mode you get the Tingle Tuner earlier in or something? Sea charts on the GamePad in both modes, optionally?

... Eh, did Wind Waker ever use analogue control on the L and R buttons? If not, whatever, but that's a problem. How are VC GCN games gonna deal with the fact that there are no analogue shoulder buttons on the WiiU GamePad or any compatible controller (apart from the Non-Pro Wii Classic Controller, which had analogue shoulders but never used that functionality, AND are no longer being made)?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^ Easily, do what the PC does with ports. Just make the buttons full throttle. It is absolutely not hard to get used to and the Gamecube wasn't exactly known for its amazing racing simulators.

theflyingorc posted:

The warp song is a long way into the game. And you can only go so many places. I didn't mind the sailing, but stuff is more spread out than necessary.

It's not that it's a grind, it's just that the triforce collection is aggressively uninteresting.

Yeah wind waker had some plain bad design decisions that I hope they smooth out for the re-release. They probably won't, but we can hope.

The triforce charts would be made a lot better if you just loving found the pieces in those chests, instead of having to grind for rupees, go to Tingle, and then go to where the chest is and start the extremely tedious process of fishing them out.

Special charts should also always lead to heart pieces or important items, not loving silver/gold rupees. And maybe halve the barren sea between islands so that you spend less time with the controller on the floor in a drat Adventure game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gutcruncher posted:

I just discovered something incredible. In the Virtual Console, both Remote 1 and Pad are Player 1. One player on Dpad and one player on Arm Flap for the Ultimate Balloon Trip Co-op Experience

I now have a terrible Idea for a co-op LP.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
If Wind Waker HD has a way better control system for rope jumping, I will buy a Wii U for that alone. I'm not even kidding/

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Thats pretty meta if its npc chatter. Beat still my heart.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gutcruncher posted:

Please don't listen to this man Nintendo, and fire anyone who suggests this internally.

Wind Waker plays fine as is. It's arguably the best refinement of Ocarina's movement and combat, even factoring in the GC version of Twighlight Princess. It doesn't need to have something never intended for it forced in, something that was lazily implemented in TP and controversial AT BEST in Skyward Sword. I say this as someone who loved the controls in Skyward Sword and avoided the worst of the problems people really were having.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Junkie Disease posted:

Thats pretty meta if its npc chatter.

.hack 2

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Wind God Sety posted:

You get it after the third dungeon, after I think four or five sailing segments, and you can warp within I think two square of any given island on the map.
There are places to go that aren't those islands, and there are only like 6 full dungeons in the whole game.

The game stumbles in the 3rd act (mostly due to rushed development). I like WW, it just needed to bake another 9 months.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Junkie Disease posted:

Thats pretty meta if its npc chatter. Beat still my heart.

All my brain keeps saying reading that is, "Don't assume it's sexual, don't assume it's sexual, don't assume it's sexual..."

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So I think I'm dying. Earthbound is coming to Virtual Console but only in japan

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Policenaut posted:

It's unfortunate, but not surprising given the mountain of copyright issues it'd face in the US.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Oh Nintendo you can just eat a bag of hell.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo really should just remix the music from the game to shut up every Earthbound fan on the Internet bring it to North America and make everyone happy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nintendo really should just remix the music from the game to shut up every Earthbound fan on the Internet bring it to North America and make everyone happy.

You can't remix perfection.

Why does Nintendo keep teasing us with this? Even the music and NPCs looking like celebrity stuff can be considered parody now right?

They should just pull a nineties Sega and "alter" everything but if you hit down, up, A B A B A or whatever on the title screen you get to play the exact original game, oops!

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

theflyingorc posted:

There are places to go that aren't those islands, and there are only like 6 full dungeons in the whole game.

The game stumbles in the 3rd act (mostly due to rushed development). I like WW, it just needed to bake another 9 months.

Er, I don't think there are more places to go than all the places on the map. Literally any square is within two squares of a warp point. The exception might be some of the northwestern islands since you can't get anywhere from the great fairy queen warp, so those few would be maybe four squares away from a warp? I'm not sure. But after you get the warp song there's still more than half the game left. Forsaken Fortress, Earth and Wind temples, Triforce hunt, sidequests, and Ganon's Tower, plus all the sailing in between (fire and ice islands, picking up the sages, etc.). I mean if you don't like the sailing, that's fine, but you definitely don't get the warp song relatively late into the game, and for the most part everything is close to a warp. Though I never got the sailing complaints to begin with, so maybe I'm not the best judge of these things.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Neo Rasa posted:

You can't remix perfection.

Do you want Earthbound? Then yes, perfection can be remixed.

Neo Rasa posted:

Why does Nintendo keep teasing us with this? Even the music and NPCs looking like celebrity stuff can be considered parody now right?

I think Nintendo has looked into this, knowing that if they released Earthbound in North America, half of the Internet would finally shut up.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nintendo is like Capcom in that they both have generators powered entirely by human suffering, only while Capcom's is fueled by the tears of Mega Man fans Nintendo's uses Earthbound.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think Nintendo has looked into this, knowing that if they released Earthbound in North America, half of the Internet would finally shut up.

Not until they translate Mother 3 and put it on the Virtual Console but they won't because NA/EU are full of homophobic and transphobic shitheads who would get mad about the game brainwashing children or whatever

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah if the current lawyers had been running Nintendo in the eighties they would have just folded and handed all their assets to Universal.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Not until they translate Mother 3 and put it on the Virtual Console but they won't because NA/EU are full of homophobic and transphobic shitheads who would get mad about the game brainwashing children or whatever

Is this why the Tingle sequel never got translated?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yes, and it'd also encourage the other half to complain about Mother 3 even more.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Gutcruncher posted:

Is this why the Tingle sequel never got translated?

If by translated you mean imported, since it did have an English version release in Europe. You'd think that since it's literally gently caress You: Got Mine the videogame, it'd do great here in the US. :911:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

miscellaneous14 posted:

If by translated you mean imported, since it did have an English version release in Europe. You'd think that since it's literally gently caress You: Got Mine the videogame, it'd do great here in the US. :911:

The first Tingle did, but not the sequel.

Edit: Holy poo poo, it's literally Bitcoin The Game. Screw over as many people as possible as quickly as possible and then throw all your money into a hole.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Gutcruncher posted:

The first Tingle did, but not the sequel.

I had no idea there was a sequel. :psyduck: Do you play as Tingle running a multi-national monopoly or something?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Did they really announce that Wii U is getting GBA games? Seems weird that it wouldn't be for 3DS.

And I guess Nintendo is unlikely to ever let you buy VC games once and play them on all their platforms.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wind God Sety posted:

The only changes I'd say really need to be made to Wind Waker are to cut out the middleman and made the Triforce Charts into Triforce Shards (thereby eliminating having to give all of your money to Tingle), and maybe do something to make Forsaken Fortress 1 more fun. Of course, if they did add in the cut dungeons, that'd be fantastic, but I don't think it's a game that's lacking for content without them.

drat, I hadn't even thought of that. I thought WW was really lacking in dungeons so I'd love to see those.

E: I never fully understood the hub-bub about Earthbound but if a re-release will finally get people to stop bringing it up every time they talk about Nintendo then I'm in favor of one.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 23, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

miscellaneous14 posted:

I had no idea there was a sequel. :psyduck: Do you play as Tingle running a multi-national monopoly or something?

quote:

Color Changing Tingle's Love Balloon Trip was released in Japan in August 2009, and has yet to see a European or American release. Similar to Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, the game starts with an ordinary, 35-year-old man. While he watches a sales program on television, the man learns of a book that is deemed to make its readers popular amongst the ladies. He orders the book, but he gets sucked into the world of a picture book when he opens it and transforms into Tingle. He learns that the only way to get out of the book is to dance with the princess of this world, which is the main goal of the game. The game is a parody of the The Wizard of Oz, where Tingle meets three friends, Kakashi, the scarecrow, Buriki, the tin-woman, and Lion, the lion. Together, they follow the yellow-brick road, and advance from page to page. Unlike the previous installation of this series, this is a point-and-click game. This game was also developed by Vanpool using Nintendo's permission.

What...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Brother Entropy posted:

Yes, and it'd also encourage the other half to complain about Mother 3 even more.

I tried Mother 3. I got bored at some point. Dunno, maybe I should try it again. Seems more fun to follow in an LP than deal with some of the most boring battle sequences ever.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gutcruncher posted:

quote:

Color Changing Tingle's Love Balloon Trip was released in Japan in August 2009, and has yet to see a European or American release. Similar to Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, the game starts with an ordinary, 35-year-old man. While he watches a sales program on television, the man learns of a book that is deemed to make its readers popular amongst the ladies. He orders the book, but he gets sucked into the world of a picture book when he opens it and transforms into Tingle. He learns that the only way to get out of the book is to dance with the princess of this world, which is the main goal of the game. The game is a parody of the The Wizard of Oz, where Tingle meets three friends, Kakashi, the scarecrow, Buriki, the tin-woman, and Lion, the lion. Together, they follow the yellow-brick road, and advance from page to page. Unlike the previous installation of this series, this is a point-and-click game. This game was also developed by Vanpool using Nintendo's permission.
What...

Forget Mother 3, we need to be bugging Nintendo to release this instead.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Boten Anna posted:

I'm pretty sure that we don't actually know the definitive reasons for either Mother 2 not being on VC or Mother 3 not being localized. There's rumors of copyright but they're mostly speculation. Let's not start insulting everyone when companies can do this type of thing for all sorts of reasons we aren't privy to.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Peewi posted:

Did they really announce that Wii U is getting GBA games? Seems weird that it wouldn't be for 3DS.

And I guess Nintendo is unlikely to ever let you buy VC games once and play them on all their platforms.

If they made it easy to play and transfer VC games across all Nintendo devices (hahaha) I would probably buy a 3DS.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I tried Mother 3. I got bored at some point. Dunno, maybe I should try it again. Seems more fun to follow in an LP than deal with some of the most boring battle sequences ever.

Mother 3 is rather unfortunately grindy at the start, and a bit same-y through most of the game. Ending is worth the whole rest of the game, though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Cannot Find Server posted:

Forget Mother 3, we need to be bugging Nintendo to release this instead.

Totally forgot to post the boxart

It's a work of art

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Peewi posted:

It's probably for both but they wanted specifically to talk about Wii U this week.

To be honest I do like the thought that they might be putting up different titles on Wii U's VC instead of straight porting the entire Wii back library. GBA titles are nice, and how about some NES/SNES games that aren't even on the original Wii VC, like Crystalis? Or Gimmick?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

GBA emulation might just be a bit easier on the Wii U than the 3DS. Weren't some of the ambassador titles a little shaky?

Regardless, I like that they're finally willing to put handheld games on a console VC.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

GBA emulation might just be a bit easier on the Wii U than the 3DS. Weren't some of the ambassador titles a little shaky?

Regardless, I like that they're finally willing to put handheld games on a console VC.

They're a bit barebones in that you can't access the home menu while playing them and they don't have any of the features of the other VC games, but they run fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Gutcruncher posted:

Totally forgot to post the boxart

It's a work of art

Remake Muscle March with Tingle and Waluigi tia Nintendo

• Locked thread