Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

KozmoNaut posted:

Everything in Breaking Bad is sad and horrible, no exceptions.

Walter White is a monster.

No, he cares about Jesse :[

edit: holy poo poo

edit: what a bad episode jesus christ

edit: that was awful oh my god

Little Blue Couch has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Jan 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KozmoNaut posted:

Everything in Breaking Bad is sad and horrible, no exceptions.

Walter White is a monster.

I had a Facebook friend complain that BB was "relentless and nasty". I asked her exactly how cheerful she expected a show about a dying man's doomed attempt to keep his family together by secretly manufacturing drugs should be and she defriended me. :yum:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The best mindset to watch Breaking Bad is that everything that seems good is doomed and everything that seems bad will be even worse.

I think my reaction to most of it so far has been "goddammit Walter, you idiot. Why did you have to do that? Now everything's even more hosed up!".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
People who watch Breaking Bad for something happy are like the people who were furious that the Sopranos ended without Tony being held accountable for all his crimes.

It's completely retarded and doesn't fit at all with the entire premise of the series.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Pretty easy to see, but in the witch's cottage in Brave, everything in the woodcarving shop is a bear in some form. Mugs, toys, etc.

That scene also had a carved wooden Pizza Planet Truck on the worktable.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Little Blue Couch posted:

Oh, just you wait. :yum:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don't think anything I've ever seen on TV has depressed me as much as that scene in Breaking Bad. You know the one. Ugh. I felt sick.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

There's a point in Breaking Bad where if you still think Walt is the good guy then you haven't been paying attention.

priznat posted:

I don't think anything I've ever seen on TV has depressed me as much as that scene in Breaking Bad. You know the one. Ugh. I felt sick.

Is it the bit in season five with the dirt bike? Because if so, then yeah, same here.

cock hero flux has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Jan 21, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

priznat posted:

Is it the bit in season five with the dirt bike? Because if so, then yeah, same here.

I think :thejoke: here is that there are about half a dozen scenes every season that fit that description.

Walt and Jane, Walt and Brock, Walt and Hank, Walt and Skyler, Walt and Gus...

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Dauntasa posted:

Breaking Bad did a good job that episode because you watch the opening and wonder, how is that going to come into play? The episode goes and you've forgotten about that bit. It finally becomes relevant and you just go oh :smith:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I think :thejoke: here is that there are about half a dozen scenes every season that fit that description.

Walt and Jane, Walt and Brock, Walt and Hank, Walt and Skyler, Walt and Gus...

Not Walt and Gus. Maybe Walt and Hector. Although really as far as Walt's crimes go killing 2 other killers isn't that bad. If that was all he'd done you could still call Walt an anti-hero.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Walt and Hector and Gus and the pipe bomb was one of the best scenes in the whole show. Hector's actor portrays that final expression of all-consuming, utterly incendiary wrath so perfectly. I guess I was thinking more about the general Walt-Gus relationship ever since the box cutter incident. Both sides of that are just creepy as gently caress.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Jan 21, 2013

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Pretty easy to see, but in the witch's cottage in Brave, everything in the woodcarving shop is a bear in some form. Mugs, toys, etc.

Except for the Pizza Planet truck.

THE JORY
Jul 28, 2012

The movie Lars and the Real Girl is about an incredibly socially awkward guy. There is a scene that shows Lars getting ready to meet his real doll by trying to look nice. He looks in the mirror and says "That's a nice sweater." Then in the next scene he is wearing a different sweater. He was just so nervous :3:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Dauntasa posted:

Yup, that bothered me a lot and still does. I had been growing my revulsion of Walt up til that point (pretty much since the first season really) but drat. That was just awful.

Go Hank Go

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

THE JORY posted:

The movie Lars and the Real Girl is about an incredibly socially awkward guy. There is a scene that shows Lars getting ready to meet his real doll by trying to look nice. He looks in the mirror and says "That's a nice sweater." Then in the next scene he is wearing a different sweater. He was just so nervous :3:

I presume that you don't mean the sex toy kind of real doll.

Otcho
May 4, 2012

Ariong posted:

someone has not seen this movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ariong posted:

No, that's exactly what the movie's about.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ariong posted:

That is, in fact, the exact kind of Real Doll they're talking about.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
And yet Ryan Gosling manages to pull it off. :allears:

fakeedit: Also kudos to the directors/writers/whatever for not making the movie turn into some hack comedy about some sad dude and his gently caress toy. It would have been really easy to do that.

THE JORY
Jul 28, 2012

nutranurse posted:

But watching Drive afterwards sure is different :v:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ry Gos is a drat good actor and I'm excited to see him and Emma Stone reunite in Gang Squad.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That is, in fact, the exact kind of Real Doll they're talking about.

It's the :3: that threw me off. The object and the emote just don't mesh.

creepy dead-eyed fuckdolls :3:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I had a Facebook friend complain that BB was "relentless and nasty". I asked her exactly how cheerful she expected a show about a dying man's doomed attempt to keep his family together by secretly manufacturing drugs should be and she defriended me. :yum:

I have a friend who was put off watching it by the fact that a good 90% of the cast list is pretty much irredeemable. She can't really bring herself to watch a show that features no one she can sympathise with.

For content, something I noticed when watching Alien Resurrection for the first time in years last week: Ripley's nails are the same colour/sheen as the teeth of the other Aliens. It's almost a subliminal reminder of what she really is throughout the entire film.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

I'm watching ep 19 of the second season of Breaking Bad,

What kind of hosed up TV sorcery is this?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ Fitting username for the point I'm making :)

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I have a friend who was put off watching it by the fact that a good 90% of the cast list is pretty much irredeemable. She can't really bring herself to watch a show that features no one she can sympathise with.

Don't forget about Hank!

I know he seems like a boisterous annoying braggart in the beginning, but he's such a great character with a lot more depth than you'd think. I started off not liking him at all, but he definitely grew on me and he's by far the most sympathetic character on BB. Dean Norris does such a great job playing him.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, Hank is great. I mean yeah he did beat the crap out of Jesse and he's pretty mean to Marie after he gets shot but overall he's one of the most consistently normal characters in a cast of incredibly flawed people.

Jesse is also pretty likeable when he's not getting back on the horse for one reason or another

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

It's the :3: that threw me off. The object and the emote just don't mesh.

creepy dead-eyed fuckdolls :3:

It's different in the movie, though. The guy is just a loner who no one pays attention to, especially girls. He buys a realdoll thing and it becomes his 'girlfriend'. He never bangs it or anything like that; she 'sleeps' in a separate room and he makes plans to marry 'her'. Eventually the town comes to accept that there's something broken with him and he's really not hurting anyone and in turn take 'her' in as one of their own. Later, he begins to realize that 'she' isn't real but can't admit it to himself, much less the townspeople so he has her get 'sick' and eventually die. He then goes on to start seeing one of the girls in the town.

After writing it all out it does sound ridiculous but just watch the god drat movie, it's really good.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, Hank is great. I mean yeah he did beat the crap out of Jesse

The thing is, he did that but he also did the right thing in dealing with the consequences. Which makes him pretty much unique on that show.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, Hank is great. I mean yeah he did beat the crap out of Jesse and he's pretty mean to Marie after he gets shot but overall he's one of the most consistently normal characters in a cast of incredibly flawed people.

I saw the latter as mostly impotent frustration over how he was unable to perform even basic tasks such as going to the bathroom or having sex, especially considering his previous macho facade of self-sufficiency and never having to ask for help. And it really helped him grow as a character.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
To re-rail this just a little bit, Django Unchained, the horse that Jamie Foxx uses throughout the majority movie, is actually his horse.

Also, at the end of the dinner scene, Calvin Candie smashes some glass on the table and ends up cutting open his hand. The only catch being that this wasn't scripted and not a special effect; Leo really cut open his hand. So a moment later, when he is manhandling Brunhilde and he smears blood all over her? Yeah, that's the real deal.

EDIT:VVV Yeah, that would be a whole lot less illegal wouldn't it? Still, props to the guy for finishing the scene.

Since that's trivia, and not really subtle though, how about this:

At the beginning of the movie, Django speaks in a halting, almost stuttering manner, with an unrefined, dirty quality. Understandable for a period movie and playing an uneducated slave. But by the last act of the film, most notably when speaking with the slavers from the mining company, his speech patterns are clear and very easily understood.

CzarChasm has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Jan 23, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

To re-rail this just a little bit, Django Unchained, the horse that Jamie Foxx uses throughout the majority movie, is actually his horse.

Also, at the end of the dinner scene, Calvin Candie smashes some glass on the table and ends up cutting open his hand. The only catch being that this wasn't scripted and not a special effect; Leo really cut open his hand. So a moment later, when he is manhandling Brunhilde and he smears blood all over her? Yeah, that's the real deal.

No, that scene was most likely inserted later. Cutting his hand was real, and they finished the scene with his hand cut like that, but someone probably had the idea to add the insert afterwards.

It would be all kinds of dangerous and illegal if he really did that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I saw the latter as mostly impotent frustration over how he was unable to perform even basic tasks such as going to the bathroom or having sex, especially considering his previous macho facade of self-sufficiency and never having to ask for help. And it really helped him grow as a character.

Oh, I agree absolutely, but seeing him be so mean to his wife makes it hard to sympathize with him through those episodes. Like I said, every character in the show is a mess; he's just the least big mess overall.

Also he was totally able to have sex, I thought that was made pretty drat clear by that scene you know I'm talking about.

Breaking Bad chat should probably go in the appropriate TVIV thread though.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
I'm one of those rear end in a top hat's that liked Walt up until Season 5. It took me that long before I finally went "you know what, this guys being a dick."

THE JORY
Jul 28, 2012

MindlessHavok posted:

It's different in the movie, though. The guy is just a loner who no one pays attention to, especially girls. He buys a realdoll thing and it becomes his 'girlfriend'. He never bangs it or anything like that; she 'sleeps' in a separate room and he makes plans to marry 'her'. Eventually the town comes to accept that there's something broken with him and he's really not hurting anyone and in turn take 'her' in as one of their own. Later, he begins to realize that 'she' isn't real but can't admit it to himself, much less the townspeople so he has her get 'sick' and eventually die. He then goes on to start seeing one of the girls in the town.

After writing it all out it does sound ridiculous but just watch the god drat movie, it's really good.

Huh, I must have missed something because I didn't really think that Lars realized she was fake What made you think that?

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

peer posted:

(Usual Suspects) There's also one quick moment where the agent acts like he's going to punch Verbal, and Verbal instinctively raises his lame arm to deflect the blow.

This is from a way back, but yeah. Also, Soze is left-handed. When Verbal is given a lighter, he tries to light it with his right, non-lame arm and can't manage it with that hand.

There's also a moment (I think it might be the same moment) where Verbal accidentally admits to killing Keaton while Kujan is yelling at him, and he panics for a microsecond but manages to disguise it as a slip of the tongue, amending it to "I did see Keaton get shot!".

There's a bunch of subtle stuff in that movie, actually. Verbal notes near the beginning of the movie that when he's dehydrated his urine comes out thick and lumpy - the first shot of Keyser Soze is his thick, lumpy urine stream pissing out a fire on the boat.

Keyser Soze has a Turkish mother and a German father and his name translates roughly from Turkish and German to mean "King Blabbermouth". Verbal Kint got his name because he talks too much.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Heres Hank posted:

What kind of hosed up TV sorcery is this?

It was episode 19 of the show overall, my bad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nutranurse posted:

fakeedit: Also kudos to the directors/writers/whatever for not making the movie turn into some hack comedy about some sad dude and his gently caress toy. It would have been really easy to do that.

MindlessHavok posted:

To be fair, put some pretty man like Gosling in that role and it's a LOT easier to buy that the town of locals would want a reasonably smart and good-looking young fella to succeed when his only major "defect" is that he's too socially awkward to connect with real women--put a Patton Oswald or a Danny McBride in that role and at least half of the same townspeople would be convinced he was a pedophile on general principle and begrudgingly give him a chance if any gave him one at all.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Leovinus posted:

This is from a way back, but yeah. Also, Soze is left-handed. When Verbal is given a lighter, he tries to light it with his right, non-lame arm and can't manage it with that hand.

There's also a moment (I think it might be the same moment) where Verbal accidentally admits to killing Keaton while Kujan is yelling at him, and he panics for a microsecond but manages to disguise it as a slip of the tongue, amending it to "I did see Keaton get shot!".

There's a bunch of subtle stuff in that movie, actually. Verbal notes near the beginning of the movie that when he's dehydrated his urine comes out thick and lumpy - the first shot of Keyser Soze is his thick, lumpy urine stream pissing out a fire on the boat.

Keyser Soze has a Turkish mother and a German father and his name translates roughly from Turkish and German to mean "King Blabbermouth". Verbal Kint got his name because he talks too much.

I've always wondered if the names mean much in that movie. In german, Kint sounds just like Kind, so--talkative child. Fenster's German for window, maybe something to do with the character being transparent? And McManus would mean son of the hand.

Edit: Hockney and Fenster might have something to do with hock and fence, in the parlance, since these guys rob people. Anyway I've got no grand theory of it, but I always thought there was something more to the names.

Mescal has a new favorite as of 11:22 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otcho
May 4, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair, put some pretty man like Gosling in that role and it's a LOT easier to buy that the town of locals would want a reasonably smart and good-looking young fella to succeed when his only major "defect" is that he's too socially awkward to connect with real women--put a Patton Oswald or a Danny McBride in that role and at least half of the same townspeople would be convinced he was a pedophile on general principle and begrudgingly give him a chance if any gave him one at all.

Oh man, watch out Hollywood because this guy is onto you!