Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun

Medullah posted:

I'd bet if you shout in General Chat for them, you'll get them parcel'd to you in 2 minutes.

It's amazing how General is repeated "X is rotting, come get it" or "Hey, anybody want Y?" Generous Test...
Test really is some weird post-scarcity utopia in many ways. These are probably the most altruistic players I've seen in any online game.

Yesterday I gave 50k to a random guy that had just started a new character and was asking for some money to help cover merc costs and spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Crescent reach has quests for all the tradeskills that will take you to about fifty skill. They're free, quick, and easy. Also, getting most tradeskills to about 200 is pretty cheap and quick as well. If you want to go all out on tradeskills, be sure to do the appropriate trophy quests in freeport while your skills are still low, as the higher skill versions of those quests require some annoyingly obscure ingredients. Bookmark eqtraders.com and use the skill up guides on their message board.

Also, crescent reach has vendors with almost all the store bought components as well, so it is the best place to raise your skills.

ponzicar fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 23, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wask posted:

Yesterday I gave 50k to a random guy that had just started a new character and was asking for some money to help cover merc costs and spells.

It's funny. I have no plat on live to copy over, so I tend to ask generous goons if they have some to spare. I think one goon gave me like 1 million plat at some point. I definitely gave away at least 500k of that to random people on Test who were in need. Everyone is so generous on Test, it gets contagious.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Since on Test anyone can have droppable stuff handed to them, the only way to swing your dick around and brag is by giving it away to other players. Because that means you have that item on live, and weren't just the recipient of a handout. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Velvis
Aug 18, 2005

Corn tastes good.
Somebody was looking for blade of carnage. Were you able to obtain one? I must have given out like 20 of them in the past couple of weeks in general.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Velvis posted:

Somebody was looking for blade of carnage. Were you able to obtain one? I must have given out like 20 of them in the past couple of weeks in general.

I did ask for one, but there were others. I just made a few level 25, /testbuff melee twinks and I would really love one of those, especially for the tanks. I have several toons who can use it, but one is fine as it can be passed around.

What I would rather like is another, comparable non-attuning, tradable weapon like a Swiftblade that I could use in another hand. I made a baby ranger for reasons beyond just "Headshotting everything with a head" and good weapons go a long way.

If you could send one to Nylander, I would be very grateful.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Velvis posted:

I was looking for one. I just bought one on Live and copied it over, I had about 150k on Luclin. Now I'm looking for a Horn of Hsagra! Luclin price was godawful, 250k.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Dubious posted:

I was looking for one. I just bought one on Live and copied it over, I had about 150k on Luclin. Now I'm looking for a Horn of Hsagra! Luclin price was godawful, 250k.

I think the obvious solution here is that we raid Kael Drakkal on a Live server and copy the piss out of everything.

I realise that those places are perma-farmed by wankers, but it would be a loving fun raid.

Velvis
Aug 18, 2005

Corn tastes good.

Dubious posted:

I have one of those somewhere too.

edit - nm

Velvis fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 23, 2013

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Velvis posted:

I have one of those somewhere too.

edit - I am copying stuff right now and haven't found the horn of hsagra yet, but I have an ancient burrower spine which has a better ratio anyway. Want that? Who do you want them sent to?

Send it to Jhelora. I'm using my main as a depot to pass out poo poo to the alts :v:

Velvis
Aug 18, 2005

Corn tastes good.
sending now. burrower spine is no drop... didn't realize that.

Velvis
Aug 18, 2005

Corn tastes good.

JustJeff88 posted:

I did ask for one, but there were others. I just made a few level 25, /testbuff melee twinks and I would really love one of those, especially for the tanks. I have several toons who can use it, but one is fine as it can be passed around.

What I would rather like is another, comparable non-attuning, tradable weapon like a Swiftblade that I could use in another hand. I made a baby ranger for reasons beyond just "Headshotting everything with a head" and good weapons go a long way.

If you could send one to Nylander, I would be very grateful.

Yours is sent too

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm going to give this a try (last time I played a live server was 2004). Are Monks ubiquitous as usual or is there more of an even class spread? I'm thinking about a Bard too, are they still ultra-fast kiting pseudo-FDing gods?

Also I can't for the life of me recall what my old account was, and I know I didn't sell it, AND it was on an old email account I also can't remember. Am I missing out by not having all those heirlooms and loyalty rewards?

acumen fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 23, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Velvis posted:

Yours is sent too

Much obliged. Kind of an odd weapon for a Ranger or Bard since it has a proc that produces major aggro, but that hardly means much at lower levels. Then again, Ranger/Zerkers are "Light Tanks", after a fashion.

acumen posted:

I'm going to give this a try (last time I played a live server was 2004). Are Monks ubiquitous as usual or is there more of an even class spread? I'm thinking about a Bard too, are they still ultra-fast kiting pseudo-FDing gods?

Also I can't for the life of me recall what my old account was, and I know I didn't sell it, AND it was on an old email account I also can't remember. Am I missing out by not having all those heirlooms and loyalty rewards?

I have enough experience to say that bards today have never been better, and are super-popular now with the era of boxing and the fact that you no longer have to manually twist songs. Fading Memories is amazing, and even better now that bards have better mana pools and can rest to recover mana quickly (still can't meditate, though). With the right AA a bard can literally have 6 songs going at once PLUS an aura. I was barding back before all of this when there were literally only 12 max-level bards on my server at the time (Brell Serilis), and this to me is the golden age of the bard.

As for monks, I have no practical experience, but to me they seem criminally underrated. Almost never die, do great damage, brilliant pullers, and they have self-heals for huge chunks of life. They just aren't as common as some other classes, but I will let experienced monks let you know the full details.

Edit: I couldn't remember the name of it, but I kept recalling a weapon that I know drops in Dragon Necropolis that used to be a big deal (I even remembered the ratio: 13/20) back in Velious because it proc'd a low-power slow which generated huge aggro, so tanks loved it. I finally remembered what it was called today after a little research: Willsapper, which drops/dropped off of Vaniki in DN.

Edit 2: By the way, I still have tons of Zlandicar's Talismans and Cowls of Mortality on Live that I can copy (great twink gear). I sold a Massive Dragonclaw Shard because some guy was offering a pile of cash for it and I thought that I had an extra one, but it turns out that I do not, sadly. Amazing knight twink weapon (28/30 1h slash? Yes please!)

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 23, 2013

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
So monks are uncommon but still awesome and bards are somehow even better than before. Great, now I'm torn :(

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Does anyone actually play a bard instead of just boxing one? If everyone is boxing a bard, there is not a lot of need for someone else to actually play a bard. They would end up just being poo poo dps.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
They're force multipliers.

Plus they're good for afk mercing. :ssh:

Vessy
Oct 9, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Much obliged. Kind of an odd weapon for a Ranger or Bard since it has a proc that produces major aggro, but that hardly means much at lower levels. Then again, Ranger/Zerkers are "Light Tanks", after a fashion.

I have enough experience to say that bards today have never been better, and are super-popular now with the era of boxing and the fact that you no longer have to manually twist songs. Fading Memories is amazing, and even better now that bards have better mana pools and can rest to recover mana quickly (still can't meditate, though). With the right AA a bard can literally have 6 songs going at once PLUS an aura. I was barding back before all of this when there were literally only 12 max-level bards on my server at the time (Brell Serilis), and this to me is the golden age of the bard.

As for monks, I have no practical experience, but to me they seem criminally underrated. Almost never die, do great damage, brilliant pullers, and they have self-heals for huge chunks of life. They just aren't as common as some other classes, but I will let experienced monks let you know the full details.

Edit: I couldn't remember the name of it, but I kept recalling a weapon that I know drops in Dragon Necropolis that used to be a big deal (I even remembered the ratio: 13/20) back in Velious because it proc'd a low-power slow which generated huge aggro, so tanks loved it. I finally remembered what it was called today after a little research: Willsapper, which drops/dropped off of Vaniki in DN.

Edit 2: By the way, I still have tons of Zlandicar's Talismans and Cowls of Mortality on Live that I can copy (great twink gear). I sold a Massive Dragonclaw Shard because some guy was offering a pile of cash for it and I thought that I had an extra one, but it turns out that I do not, sadly. Amazing knight twink weapon (28/30 1h slash? Yes please!)

Can I get the Talisman and Cowls? I just started on test and don't have any live toons to copy over or plat (last time I played was Luclin). My monk name is Cargo.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Stanos posted:

Bard songs don't stack. Why take a second bard into our group when we already have our boxed bard? I hear rogue dps stacks though. We could always use another rogue.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

acumen posted:

So monks are uncommon but still awesome and bards are somehow even better than before. Great, now I'm torn :(

Boxing is all the rage these days, and bards group very well with any other class...

DevNull posted:

Bard songs don't stack. Why take a second bard into our group when we already have our boxed bard?

... except another bard.

DevNull posted:

Does anyone actually play a bard instead of just boxing one? If everyone is boxing a bard, there is not a lot of need for someone else to actually play a bard. They would end up just being poo poo dps.

Stanos posted:

Very much this. No class in the game can do more than a bard while you are focusing on another instance of the game or AFK (not that anyone does that). I still play my bard properly from time and time, and it still feels weird to not have to twist/weave manually.

Vessy posted:

Can I get the Talisman and Cowls? I just started on test and don't have any live toons to copy over or plat (last time I played was Luclin). My monk name is Cargo.

No problem. All I ask is that, when you outgrow them (and it won't take long) to return them. Yes, I know that they are copied, but there are always plenty of newbs who can use them.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Very much this. No class in the game can do more than a bard while you are focusing on another instance of the game or AFK (not that anyone does that). I still play my bard properly from time and time, and it still feels weird to not have to twist/weave manually.

The fact that everyone has a pocket bard means that there are going to be very few groups looking to take on someone else playing a bard. It feels like bards are almost intended to be boxed with the melody command.

If you are coming into the game and want to get picked up by other groups, a dps class is going to be your best shot.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I asked someone in-game, but he is feeling a bit wonky, so I thought that I would ask someone here: Is there any kind soul who would be willing to do a tiny Smithing project for me? I just need 2 Steel Boning to do the last phase of the quest for the Innoruuk Shaman snare necklace, and I am rather short on play time right now and don't have a skilled smith (only 37 trivial, but still) in my roster.

If anyone could whip up a couple of those and post them to Nylander on Test, that would be grand.

Wonky or not I made and sent you 7 of them for overkill man.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

I'm sure there's a long list for these but I would love them on my rogue integ, he's getting nice and close to 85 :)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Well, good thing I picked monk then. I'm changing things up this time by going Iksar. In as Acuity!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Great pick with the Monk. ;) I've been playing one since I did my big return back in 2009 and I still love him - up to lvl 98 now. I've solo'd (with merc) with him to the high 80's, then added a Shaman which has been a fantastic companion since. I have recently added a ranger and a wizard to my box setup. My monk is still my main (and best) damage dealer, amazing puller, has insane burst damage when needed, is a great explorer, and very very rarely dies. Monks can just jump around zones like nobody's business. It's really nice to have a class with Feign Death as your main.

If I for some reason couldn't play a Monk, I would pick an SK, because they are also great pullers with FD. Not being able to drop agro in this game where mobs hunt you until the end of the earth kinda sucks.

acumen posted:

If you're playing on Test, you won't lose out on anything since everyone has all the Veteran Rewards on Test. You also won't lack any /claims, since that feature was introduced in modern times. However, you won't have anything special to claim since you haven't bought any expansions, but it's fine. Loyalty points are accumulated by having been a paid member, and are also a new-ish feature, so don't worry.

Freeze_Dried_Chives
Jul 22, 2007

I will not go down the hole again good sir.
I play a bard and don't box at all. Didn't really think about the fact it would bite me in the rear end later on, ouch.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I have a level 100 bard and have had no trouble getting groups. Of course, I play on a normal server instead of test. A properly played bard can do some amazing pulling and crowd control, as well as slow and debuff mobs if nobody else in the group is able. A group with two bards can work out pretty well in fact. They just need to coordinate their melodies and auras to overlap with things like overhaste, but also fill in the gaps of the various spell focus songs and AC songs that may get left out of a single bard's standard twist, or maybe make sure the group is getting the benefit of all the important songs while one bard is pulling and CCing full time.

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

Got my set, thank you very much.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I love seeing all the people on Test that are between levels 1-25 and sending them /tells to type "/testbuff". I feel like a GM. :)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Does that not work until the tutorial is done?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

acumen posted:

Does that not work until the tutorial is done?

Is there any real reason to go through the tutorial on Test since /testbuff gets you to level 25 and gives you gear? I know there is some loot in the the tutorial (I never played it), but I don't know if it's worth the time investment...I figured people would just uncheck "tutorial" on the character creation screen and /testbuff straight to 25 (That's what I did when I decided to make a Berserker a few years back, and never logged in since).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Medullah posted:

Is there any real reason to go through the tutorial on Test since /testbuff gets you to level 25 and gives you gear? I know there is some loot in the the tutorial (I never played it), but I don't know if it's worth the time investment...I figured people would just uncheck "tutorial" on the character creation screen and /testbuff straight to 25 (That's what I did when I decided to make a Berserker a few years back, and never logged in since).

Or when you forget to uncheck Tutorial, just go far enough until you're in the main room, hail the barbarian dude and say "ready to leave" to take you straight to PoK :smug:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dubious posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm feeling Horny if you still need one.

I know I have one, I'm just not sure if it's auged to make it no drop.

Vessy
Oct 9, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Boxing is all the rage these days, and bards group very well with any other class...

... except another bard.

No problem. All I ask is that, when you outgrow them (and it won't take long) to return them. Yes, I know that they are copied, but there are always plenty of newbs who can use them.

Yup yup, will do.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pilsner posted:

At 60 with a 15dmg piercer the BS max was precisely 1106 with Duelist disc running. :) Plus it could double of course. I remember always being ninja-invited to groups when we raided so we could mooch XP. The way mobs and particularly raid bosses resisted back then, rogues owned on raids.

drat, not bad for 10 year old memory.

Rogues WERE the key to getting all the sweet raid exp when mobs had a rolling 10 person hatelist. Or any short cast time nukes that you could land just before the mob died. Smart use a 2.5s nuke used to get me a decent amount of exp off trash mobs. Then I spent some time in the rogue group and saw what I was completing against.

Bards are completely worth devoting effort into maining. The skill cap on a bard's performance is FAR above a boxed /melody bard. If you're a tryhard, bards are one of the classes that's most rewarding in terms of payoff for skill and knowledge. While still being worth a group slot if you're afk /melodying. They also do stack in groups because each bard can focus seperate things and play songs that wouldn't be in the main rotation.

Although, I can say that almost every class has a good amount of skill rewards and is worthwhile to be playing on the high end.

Encs are pretty weak overall right now, good cc in groups that allows you to speed up pulls, but overall worse than a bard for that slot. They also don't stack well or do much in raids.
Warriors are the #1 raid tank, but are quite underpowered on the group level compared to knights while all 3 tank classes need to devote a much more to gearing than other classes.
Wizards are kinda bad mages with teleports instead of beastly pets. They got a boost with RoF, but I would still rank mages as better. (RoI currently has 0 wizards but we're apping a new mage)
Monks aren't doing good in the raid dps parses compared to the other melee dps classes, at other levels they're doing fine.

Rogues are the current 'winners' of the high end class balance. Usurping zerkers from last expansion. But while I see rogues and necros at the top often enough, the rest of the dps classes share the other slots often enough to not call any of them crap. With a special mention to bst's insane sustained dps.

As always, this is from the point of view of someone who's main focus in eq has been raiding, except for the 2 months that it took me to level and AA up enough to get back into a raiding guild two years ago.

If you're a non-boxer or just have a main that you want to devote effort to, learn and use the raid burst and sustained dps routines for your class and I guarantee you will be better in groups than 90% of the other groupers.
For priests, the Raid Druid Guide that I've linked before is the best general advice that I've seen. Other priests have to tweak the healing advice, but it's still very solid.

Look at all these loving words to catch up with 50 unread posts.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'll chime in as I play a monk.

Unless you enjoy being Bruce Lee, don't play a monk. Their damage is pretty average compared to others.

Being an awesome puller as a monk doesn't mean a lot since it seems like everyone can pull/mes/mem blur these which is a shame. SK's also get a better FD i've heard though I haven't looked into it to confirm it.

Soloing, you don't have any fancy tools to gain AA fast except a riposte burn. No swarm kiting, quadding, HSing, Assassinate etc. Also monk raid weapons are getting nerfed for some odd reason. Anything with a delay 18 is getting changed. Not overly sure why since we are on the lower scale of DPS from all accounts. It possibly could be due to the monk buff that is in the works (supposedly).

Onto the good stuff...

I enjoy my monk.

Maxed FD is great and Imitate Death is sexy as gently caress once you dump AA into it to make it a 2 minute cool down. It also hides you so hit and run free through the zone (not undead, carry pots). It also mem wipes on cast if you have aggro..

You have some fun tools, disc's and poo poo to play around with and you rarely die. We are talking about heavy red con mobs who one round you to die.

Only cookie cutter groups and guilds aren't likely to want you but gently caress those pubbies anyway. Monks are fun aslong as you don't mind being low among the DPS classes. Also monkly business (the main class site) is poo poo and they rarely help out new people asking questions.

Level to 60 and get a few AA's in the essential ones like run speed, rapid FD, ambidex etc. Like 100 maybe tops.
Level to 70/71 (upgrade gear to next defiant level) and rape and pillage the Hole for insane. Riposte disc on the hour.
Get power leveled to 80 because holy gently caress 70-80 is painful to grind regular levels in.
Upgrade gear to T1 HoT gear sold on the Bazaar. The damage and HP/AC increase is a gently caress load.
Go to Splitpaw/Infected paw (still at level 80) and rape and pillage. You'll be doing 40 AA an hour before lessons. Get everything you can buy except poo poo like pack rat, innate strength etc etc. Riposte disc on the hour.
Now group with anyone and rape exp in HoT, UQ etc etc.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'll expand a bit on the leveling as its not overly clear.

1-60 tank merc on red cons.
60-70 I think I tank merced it in the Hole (temple). Cant remember honestly.
70 with new gear, solo in the hole(temple) but pop a healer merc now and then to top you up HP wise. AA's like critical mend give you less down time.
70-80 get PLed in Mech or somewhere that someone can swarm kite etc.
80 Splitpaw solo. Pop merc for buffs/heal now and then.

Buy haste pots always.
AA's vital to riposte burning:
Double riposte
3/3 Destructive Force
Delay Death
Zan Fi's whistle
Return Kick
Big Defensive AA's such as combat agility/stability etc.

Start small and work up while you learn pathing and your limitations.

Pull (lesson if its up before pull as it has a long cast time)> Pop Zan Fi > Pop Whirl Wind > Delay Death before WW fades > Destructive Force just before WW fades > Speed Disc once WW fades > Finish off anything left (which shouldn't be much if you did it right) > profit. A pull in paw with lesson has given me 30 AA before. Later levels you can lower the reuse time of DF so you riposte burn every 30mins I think.

Use hand to hand. Your offhand may have a 1HB from time to time. Only use 2HB for riposte burning and always buy the stick with the biggest base damage. Delay means nothing. Buy weapon Augs from a vendor in Erudin. They aren't anything special but its better having something then nothing till you can get Augs with +base damage.

blackmage
Sep 9, 2006
Just copied over my rogue and monk, so if anyone has anything that a 64 rogue (Slymme) or a 59 monk (Githe) could use, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007
Hey I can't find any Abtruse Conjuredflame armor for my Mage anywhere on Test and I'm running low on plat. So if possible can anyone help me out and send Smugatheist a care package?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
A kind goon gave me a bunch of platinum last night but if someone else wants to give me poo poo too, I'm Acuity in game.

I'm enjoying this quite a bit right now, and it's a surprisingly fresh combination of shitloads of content to progress through with serious nostalgia. The levelling is super fast right now too (I hit 40 in about six hours), which makes it all the better. I am a little disappointed that I didn't try a new class like SK or ranger, but I don't think I'll be too badly off with my monk, especially seeing all the fancy new things they get post-70.

One more thing, could anyone tell me how to increase mouse x-axis sensitivity? I have it maxed and I still turn faster with the keyboard.