Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah I got screwed and got the ATM. Luckily the Caddy uses the ATM.

Also....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX04sMcMweg

He just made a slightly better mousetrap. I don't think I will go as radical as this guy, but the release valve and the quick disconnects is not a bad idea. I wont go with the engine solvents, but able to test cooling systems and doing brakes sounds like a pretty awesome idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Just bought myself this set:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/combo-kits/2696-29

And a 240v charger because the kit i bought from the US is 110v... paid $1195 for the kit, $80 for the charger, and the RRP of the kit in Australia is anywhere from $1600 to $1800!

Niiiiice. I've seen them for sale. Hope you have a pending trip report of sorts.

The same thing is true for just about anything though including kitchen equipment (which also has another racket going on with reselling stuff from other industries with a massive markup). My other half wanted a Kitchen Aid mixer. Those things are stupidly expensive here. For now she's still using the Kenwood that I upgraded to an aluminium final drive gear. When I have the cash I'm just going to buy her a Hobart. Pro tier poo poo and cheaper than a Kitchen Aid.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ferremit posted:

Just bought myself this set:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/combo-kits/2696-29

And a 240v charger because the kit i bought from the US is 110v... paid $1195 for the kit, $80 for the charger, and the RRP of the kit in Australia is anywhere from $1600 to $1800!

drat that is a really nice set of tools.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

revmoo posted:

drat that is a really nice set of tools.

Uh yeah... suddenly my purchase of this jack that I have been hemming and hawing over seems rather inconsequential and :effort:.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Holy gently caress don't buy that either get a $60 HF aluminum jack or a proper 100lb steel Arcan for $100.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

revmoo posted:

Holy gently caress don't buy that either get a $60 HF aluminum jack or a proper 100lb steel Arcan for $100.

Why not? I have yet to see a bad review of it. Sure it won't last as long as a steel one but from the reviews it's better than any of the other Chinese aluminum jacks and it weighs half as much.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
It's only 2 ton, and $200. Max lift: 19 1/4".

It's your money. Go ahead and blow it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

West SAAB Story posted:

It's only 2 ton, and $200. Max lift: 19 1/4".

It's your money. Go ahead and blow it.

My car weighs 3800 lbs, why would I need more than 2 tons? I can't lift the whole car with one jack. Every other chinese jack I've found has had bad reviews somewhere. I have yet to find a single bad review of this jack. It also seems to be the same jack Tire Rack sells with their brand on it. They've got it for $169 and cheaper shipping so I'll buy it from them instead.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well in the next few months i'll be building a house with my better half (and a builder) and MY part of the process includes a 60K Litre water tank, All the associated plumbing, replacing about 20 light bulbs with LED downlights, building a 36m2 deck and laying 95m2 of veneered timber flooring... So a DECENT set of cordless tools will be very drat handy!

Plus theres always the parents farm too- where they will come in very handy.

Ended up going Milwaukee after using and outright abusing them at work- i've drilled 17mm holes through 6mm plate steel with the drill lying on its side in sand, feeling the sand kicking into my face from the fans and its never missed a beat.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Do yourself a favor, get a pneumatic hammer.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Just wanted to chime in that the HF 5-drawer service cart is one of the best values I've found at Harbor Freight, next to their 70lb jackhammer. Buy this cart and save $150. It's easily worth double its price.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Preoptopus posted:

The US General they have at HF feels like it will fall apart once I drag it over the drain that runs down the middle of the shop. I dont know if the display model is just built like poo poo or if its the actual quality... Either way Im scared to trust it.

The red 5-drawer is built like a brick shithouse. They sell a lesser one, but its still well-reviewed at GarageJournal.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
DOes anyone have ant toolchest organization tips?
I have one of the wheely two part things. You know the sort. Swing open top that locks all the drawers when it's closed on the top box.The top one has ...um I think 2x3 small drawers, a not very high full width and a larger full width.

The bottom one has 6 drawers and a big bit that opens up like a solid garage door. I have too many tools for it and keep jamming it closed. Also what am I meant to be using the big swing open bottom bit for?
I have a second as unused chest. It's an ancient Kincrome one. No bottom bot though. The Kincrome one has a front fascia to facilitate locking. I don't really know where to put it so I haven't started using it yet. I also have tools, fasteners, small spares, auto electric, electronic etc. bits farmed out to other toolboxes and whatever I can put them in. I'm just wondering if there are any guides on how these things are meant to be arranged?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

General_Failure posted:

meant to be arranged?
There's no "meaning" involved. The MFRs try to pack in as many drawers in as many depths as possible.
See: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466

If you want, I can photograph each layer of my HF box... the setup works for me, but I'm sure it won't for you.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

sharkytm posted:

There's no "meaning" involved. The MFRs try to pack in as many drawers in as many depths as possible.
See: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466

If you want, I can photograph each layer of my HF box... the setup works for me, but I'm sure it won't for you.

Hey, I appreciate ideas. I have issues like my "shifting spanners, pliers, sidecutters etc" drawers getting stuck because a handle opens up or jams. My biggest full width drawer holds my overflow socket tools. The rest of them live in an ancient-rear end plastic cased swing open Chinese toolset I got when I was a kid. The plastic is disintegrating and I doubt half the tools in there are the originals anymore with the most used ones upgraded, ones I didn't use replaced with things I do etc.

I'm terrible. I think I have as many toolboxes as I do jerrycans. I even have different sizes to go in the car depending on trip length and reasons. I pack a small emergency kit in some kind of small munitions box. A fold open toolbox for longer / more specialized trips. A couple of toolchests. Oh, another fold open toolbox that's rusted to poo poo that I bought because it was full of random bits and pieces. A metal fold open socket case, heaps of airtool / power tool boxes etc.

While I'm at it how the hell am I meant to store an electric planer?

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
I'm going to be shopping for some hose clamps for one of my vacuum lines soon. I'm hoping to find this style:

Are these generally available at most auto parts stores? Is there a proper term for them?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

Yeah they're just called spring hose clamps, (or corbin clamps apparently). Should be able to find them at a regular auto parts store

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Typically "spring clip" or "spring clamp." Not really sure if parts stores carry them, I've never had a need to replace one.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Geoj posted:

Typically "spring clip" or "spring clamp." Not really sure if parts stores carry them, I've never had a need to replace one.

I've never seen them in series either. Do you know where there's lots of them, and free? The junk yard.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I get why you want to use those. Didn't know they had them in vacuum line sizes or are we talking the bigger hoses like PCV, evap etc?

There's a drainage plumbing / irrigation / some miscellaneous harware / trailer part / who knows store in town which has some really nice hose clams I've been wanting to buy some of. I don't know what they are called so I can't look for them elsewhere. They are closer in concept to the two part hose clamps with the hose shield. Speaking of which Ford just used standard worm gear type hose clamps on their cars. Even for the big one on the fuel tank sender / pump assembly lid. I could almost fit that one over my head.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

General_Failure posted:

I get why you want to use those. Didn't know they had them in vacuum line sizes or are we talking the bigger hoses like PCV, evap etc?
They apply consistent, even clamping force, and it's hard to gently caress up fitting them.

You can get special pliers for them to make life easier if you're dealing with them a lot.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Protip: buy an inline fuse holder and put a 10A or 15A fuse in it and make up another test lead for when you're checking for draws (testing current), that way if you accidentally open the door and all your computers and lights turn on it won't blow up your meter.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

If anything more than a fuse pops in your meter from over current, it was a piece of poo poo anyways.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

peepsalot posted:

If anything more than a fuse pops in your meter from over current, it was a piece of poo poo anyways.

My chapie lovely multimeters just seem to spaz out for a while if I accidentally overcurrent the 10A circuit. I think it must have a breaker or something because if I leave it for a little while and come back to it it's happy. I accidentally did just this recently trying to measure current draws on the VWs old heater booster fan and the Land Cruiser under seat heaters. The VW fan apparently draws a lot of current. So it meant I can happily connect both 'cruiser heaters in parallel using the original booster fan relay which is good. I never did finish that job though. The heater is semi test fitted (only one screw), it more or less interfaces with the heater air system properly, the 12-24v inverter is fitted, but I haven't wired or plumbed it yet.

So, there are special pliers for those hose clamps? That would save an awful lot of expletives. I usually just give up and use my fingers to unlock them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

General_Failure posted:

So, there are special pliers for those hose clamps? That would save an awful lot of expletives. I usually just give up and use my fingers to unlock them.
They're basically just a pair of pliers with profiled jaws to sit neatly on the tabs of the clamp:

You also get ones which are actuating a separate jaw assembly with a cable, so they can be used in all sorts of tight locations:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My problem is that at least half of the ones I've taken off of my MS3 end up being one-time use - they don't spring back enough to hold tension.

That said, I want those cable pliers now. That's awesome.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

My problem is that at least half of the ones I've taken off of my MS3 end up being one-time use - they don't spring back enough to hold tension.

That said, I want those cable pliers now. That's awesome.

Aren't they? The cable ones would save so much time and blood trying to reach one of those goddamn clamps put in some horrible place like between the back of the engine and the firewall.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

InitialDave posted:

They're basically just a pair of pliers with profiled jaws to sit neatly on the tabs of the clamp:

You also get ones which are actuating a separate jaw assembly with a cable, so they can be used in all sorts of tight locations:

Being the former owner of a Citron, I'll have to call you out on this bullshit. Yes, I've tried both. The only tool that consistently works while loving around with spring-clamps is a needle nose lock jaw wrench.

People that don't use this is the people we bitch about leaving the clamp release in weird positions.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 26, 2013

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
Turns out Autozone's site shows a $5 variety pack. Not individually, but it beats bulk packages from elsewhere since I only need a pair. It's one of the "Help" products. I never get sick of looking at the odd variety of "Help" stuff.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The cable clamp pliers are pretty awesome. I use mine all the time even when the hose clamp is fairly accessible.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
HF sells a bulk pack also.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
New jack:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/ctj3000g-3-tonne-professional-garage-j

3 tonne and reasonably high lift. Not the cheapest, but I had its direct competitor before and that has lasted at 6 or 7 years so I'll be happy with anything similar from this. Its nice to know you can lift near enough anything!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm looking at this for a jack. Main points being it looks like I can get to the front crossmember on the miata without needing to drive up on blocks of wood. Thoughts? Canada means no HF... I live in a border town but there's no HF within 200 miles.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...k.jsp?locale=en

E: hmm, it appears to be the exact same as this jack, from HF:

http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profilehigh-lift-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-2-ton-heavy-duty-68050.html

Which, while it's on sale at HF right now is normally $170 compared to 175$ at crappy tire.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 26, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

Being the former owner of a Citron, I'll have to call you out on this bullshit. Yes, I've tried both. The only tool that consistently works while loving around with spring-clamps is a needle nose lock jaw wrench.

People that don't use this is the people we bitch about leaving the clamp release in weird positions.

The smallest size ratchet clamp also works well when you can't get the angle right for a vise grip. I've found them down to 100mm, which is freaking tiny.

Worked on the drain hose on my washing machine, anyway.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Who's used the dale adams bone creeper? I've always used either nothing, or the standard 6 wheel creepers with the little 1 1/2" wheels that suck. My garage floor is cracked and not great, and the driveway is much worse. I usually end up with the nothing option because it's easier to just wear a junk shirt and a pair of bibs than to get all frustrated with a standard lovely creeper.

But this thing really tempts me
http://www.amazon.com/Dale-Adams-Enterprises-6031-Mechanics/dp/B000051XJ1/ref=pd_sim_hi_2

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Bought the Blue Point cart. Not looking back.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Cordless tool suggestion request..

Had mostly Ryobi cordless for the last 10+ years but batteries are going (multiple replacements) and most of the tools are pretty beat up so time to upgrade.

I don't want to get a big kit as I know most of those just aren't used much and I've got corded versions of most. I don't like Makita or Rigid much and don't want Ryobi again. I am basically thinking of Dewalt, Milwaukee and Bosch at this point.

I'll be picking up some lighter weight 12v style but also a few 18/20v ones for the few tools where I know I can use the extra power. All three of those manufacturers supply the pieces that I'm more interested in. I don't mind if the 12v and the 18/20 is from different manufacturers but I want the ones within each line to be the same for battery compatibility.

I know that Dewalt came out with their 20v line and Milwaukee came out with their 18v Fuel line so hopefully they will be supplying those but what about Bosch? I'd like something that will last me for at least 5 years (even if I have to replace a couple of batteries).

I'm a hobbyist doing both wood and metal work. I use the multiple times per week just in general tinkering and during a project pretty heavily.

Right now I'm leaning towards Dewalt and Bosch for the 12v lightweight stuff and either Dewalt or Milwaukee for the 18/20v items.

Anyone have experience with the current generation offerings from Bosch? I know orange box is pushing them pretty heavily these days but they just don't have as many reviews as the other two.

I'm not really tied to any one brand. My corded stuff is all over the map because I can base those on the individual capabilities of the tool which is hard to do with cordless.

Or am I completely over thinking this crap and anything from those 3 would be fine for the next 4-6 years of heavy hobby use?

(sorry for all the text)

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I've a bosch professional lithium 18v (GSB 18-VE-2-Li) and it has been really impressive. The torque is superb, and the batteries seem to last for a great length of time. I've quite a few bosch pro tools and they all seem to be reliable. My only issue with the cordless is that I had to drill some 13mm holes and once the drill bit was in I was unable to remove it. It had to go to bosch as a warrenty claim. I've just got the drill back and now the chuck doesn't open enough to get a 13mm drill in, so it will be going back to be sorted. Just a couple of days ago I put in an order for the 18v bosch 1/2 inch impact and was told that there was a problem supplying it as bosch are upgrading the model due mid Feb with 4Ah batteries.

I think the modern dewalt stuff isn't all that good as it's basically just upmarket black and decker.

As an aside I also have the little double makita 10.8v cordless drill and impact driver set. They are fantastic little tools for smaller jobs, very neat to fit into tight spaces and great when bags of torque or power aren't needed.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Makita LXT all the way. Largest selection of tools (other than Milwaukee), and really good reliability. There are issues with the batteries dying if you don't use them at all (they drain one of the cells with the voltage monitoring circuit, but it takes several months of non-use for that to happen).

I've had a set since 2009, best. wedding. present. ever. I have the Impact driver, drill, sawzall, circ saw, grinder, vacuum (srsly), and light. They've all been abused and they all work perfectly. I like the selections from Milwaukee, but the reliability, according to the contractors I know, is spotty. If you are in the trades, Milwaukee is the only way to go (Plumbing-PEX tools, Electrical-DVM, cable cutters, etc), but for homeowner or carpentry, I'd go Makita LXT.

I got my extras (circ, vacuum, and grinder) on Amazon when they had a $25 off sale. I paid like $30 for the vacuum, and $50 for the circ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Are any of the cheap harbor freight multimeters any good? I'm probably only going to use it once in a blue moon so it doesn't have to be real durable.