Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, Marilith is one of those hunts that the game severely underranks. I don't think I did that one until the Stilshrine of Miriam, so don't be afraid to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I now remember how bullshit Marilith is, I'm trying to take it out before I go into the Tomb of Raithwall and the thing is ridiculously powerful. Funny thing is, the guy whose guide I'm following fought it before the Tomb and he said it was easy. I'm not seeing it. Even Blinding it, having Round Shields, and Gauntlets equipped on all my characters is useless when it gets below that 20% HP mark and can attack with no charge time. Worst part is I can't even use the shiny Icebrand I got from Ring Wyrm since it's immune to elemental weapons.

Many marks just aren't realistically feasible when they become available without grinding up rare gear and/or levels. A bunch of FAQ writers have really overleveled teams, so don't take it too hard. He's not too terrible in the IZJS version since Vossler has Wither and can make the mark's damage output manageable, but I don't think you're playing that version.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I now remember how bullshit Marilith is, I'm trying to take it out before I go into the Tomb of Raithwall and the thing is ridiculously powerful. Funny thing is, the guy whose guide I'm following fought it before the Tomb and he said it was easy. I'm not seeing it. Even Blinding it, having Round Shields, and Gauntlets equipped on all my characters is useless when it gets below that 20% HP mark and can attack with no charge time. Worst part is I can't even use the shiny Icebrand I got from Ring Wyrm since it's immune to elemental weapons.

One thing you can do is use Guns with Aqua Shot, as Malirith is weak to Water - you might as well use Guns while it's above 50%, as it ignores Shields till then. Beyond that, it's just a bit of luck once she gets to low health.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Seconding this about FAQ authors. I know of at least one who uses cheat codes for overpoweredness and just describes things in terms of the earliest point in the plot you can do something. Which is nice to know and all, but it'd be more useful to the general person playing the game to go "yo, you could tackle this now, but unless you've been grinding or you're so awesome at this game that you don't need to be reading this guide anyway, you're gonna get your rear end kicked; we tackle it later on in section x.yz, ctrl-F on insertcodehere to jump to the spot if you like".

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The TO thread appears to have been archived, so I'll ask here:

I'm about to finish chapter 3 in TO on the lawful path. I just discovered that I can 'feed' one of my generics to one of my uniques by killing them off and then using a silver coin.

Are there any uniques that are suddenly going to get executed and removed from my party due to plot in C4? It'd suck to transfer all that xp over and then lose them permanently.

I'm currently working on transferring an Archer to Arycelle, and a Swordmaster to Hobyrim.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ApplesandOranges posted:

One thing you can do is use Guns with Aqua Shot, as Malirith is weak to Water - you might as well use Guns while it's above 50%, as it ignores Shields till then. Beyond that, it's just a bit of luck once she gets to low health.

I beat it with Vaan (Red Mage) Balthier (Machinist) and Ashe (Knight)

Using Hastega motes I basically had Decoy on Ashe at all times, healing her up constantly while Balthier was Berserked and Braved shooting Aqua shots at him.

Still took a couple reloads.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
I figured it was about time I completed Dissidia's story mode so I attempted to take on a Lev48 Chaos with a piece of poo poo Lev52 Cloud, now I believe I'd find more joy by nailing my scrotum to a hot-plate.

Is this normal?

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

gredgie posted:

I figured it was about time I completed Dissidia's story mode so I attempted to take on a Lev48 Chaos with a piece of poo poo Lev52 Cloud, now I believe I'd find more joy by nailing my scrotum to a hot-plate.

Is this normal?

Try battling the level 100 one now. :suicide:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Job advice about FFXII Int version. Right now I have a White Mage, Black Mage, Hunter, Knight, and Monk. What should my last class be? I think I need either more AoE or more support, so Time Mage or I hear Samurai is good.

Or tell me how I've completely destroyed all chances of beating the game and should just start over now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can beat the game with any combination of classes. You'd pretty much have to do something stupid like double up on classes to make things terribly difficult for yourself. Seriously, go with whatever class you think is coolest.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Right now you have a very strong party and you're pretty much covering all the bases. I'd just take whatever suits your fancy at this point. Samurais are always nice, and their late game damage output up there with the knight.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Red Mage is always solid if you want more AoE magic damage, plus they have decent healing and support/disabling skills. Otherwise, yeah, probably Time Mage. You could also go Machinist for late-game time magic, or Archer for more item lores. Really, anything would work.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I finally picked up Theatrhythm today, it's kind of a neat game, but those arrow swipe things are touchy as hell and have screwed me out of good scores more than once. It seems like the game only registers them whenever it feels like it.

Some of those Dark Notes are ridiculous too. I only managed to beat the Seymour boss theme by equipping a Hi-Potion and leveling up to the point where I could miss a bunch of stuff and not die. That part with the barrage of hold/arrow notes in a row seems practically impossible to actually perform.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I hate myself for this, but then again, who doesn't like FF5 jobs? Is Dimensions worth the $20 they're selling it for? Time isn't really a factor, just basic enjoyment. Can I skip or speed through any dumb rear end story bits while rockin' the job classes? I've never actually played a phone game before, how are the controls?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I finally picked up Theatrhythm today, it's kind of a neat game, but those arrow swipe things are touchy as hell and have screwed me out of good scores more than once. It seems like the game only registers them whenever it feels like it.

Some of those Dark Notes are ridiculous too. I only managed to beat the Seymour boss theme by equipping a Hi-Potion and leveling up to the point where I could miss a bunch of stuff and not die. That part with the barrage of hold/arrow notes in a row seems practically impossible to actually perform.

Make sure you're not flicking when you do swipes. You have to actually slide in the direction you're swiping for it to reliably register it. And don't worry about Dark Notes, or anything else that seems hard. If you stick with it long enough, eventually you'll go to play Ultimate scores and be bored because they're slower and easier than the Chaos Shrine. :shepface:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Artix74 posted:

Make sure you're not flicking when you do swipes. You have to actually slide in the direction you're swiping for it to reliably register it.

At least until the game goes "Haha, eff off" and starts throwing those wheel-of-slash-trigger sections at you (Ultimate Score FF3 Boss Battle I am looking right the gently caress at you) in which case you have to flick like a madman to even keep up with it... and then you Bad/Miss nearly all of them anyway because they're going way too fast or the "WHY YOU NOT SLIDING??" bit kicks in.

It's the hold-slash triggers that screw me up a lot, it feels like they're incredibly arbitrary and occasionally decide to not register even if I'm taking it easy.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

I hate myself for this, but then again, who doesn't like FF5 jobs? Is Dimensions worth the $20 they're selling it for? Time isn't really a factor, just basic enjoyment. Can I skip or speed through any dumb rear end story bits while rockin' the job classes? I've never actually played a phone game before, how are the controls?

TWEWY is probably a better use of that $20

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
TWEWY was okay, but to tl;dr it, once on the DS was way more than enough for that game. I'm down for something new, though, even if it might be somewhat "ehh."

Maybe I'll pick up that FF5 dungeon dealie instead, did they ever do a translation patch on that?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 24, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Twelve by Pies posted:

As someone who feels your slide arrow pain, you'll have to make sure you're not swiping too early. You'll get the hang of it though. You'll also learn to dislike any song that you'll have to play over and over (for most people it seems to be Mambo de Chocobo, though for me it's Judgement Day).

I haven't actually hit the high-level Dark Notes though (I'm hitting 50-60s), but Ultimate Scores were a pain to get through; I only managed to get through some of them with a 'tank' party of Minwu/Snow, Cecil, Cosmos and Yuna/Ashe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

TWEWY was okay, but to tl;dr it, once on the DS was way more than enough for that game. I'm down for something new, though, even if it might be somewhat "ehh."

Maybe I'll pick up that FF5 dungeon dealie instead, did they ever do a translation patch on that?

Sure did. Some combination of These three links should get you set up.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Picked up FF13 today.

The game looks great, and the story seems interesting enough. Although Hope's full name seems to be: Hope you get cancer.

Holy balls does the entire combat system feel like a cut scene while tapping auto-attack, with the occasional switch to a healing paradigm. It isn't like FF combat is supposed to be hard, but this one just seems to really pull the rug out from underneath the illusion that you care about the options you are selecting.

The CP system isn't especially compelling so far either. Not really seeing where there is any choice.

Overall, it seems decent with some phoned in mechanics.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Cyclomatic posted:

Picked up FF13 today.

The game looks great, and the story seems interesting enough. Although Hope's full name seems to be: Hope you get cancer.

Holy balls does the entire combat system feel like a cut scene while tapping auto-attack, with the occasional switch to a healing paradigm. It isn't like FF combat is supposed to be hard, but this one just seems to really pull the rug out from underneath the illusion that you care about the options you are selecting.

The CP system isn't especially compelling so far either. Not really seeing where there is any choice.

Overall, it seems decent with some phoned in mechanics.

You're probably not far enough where paradigms are really loving important. At a decent length in you'll find a point where boss battles especially need you to use your head and timing with paradigms to win it. Random encounters are basically auto-attack, though.
If you don't end up liking the battle system odds are you won't like the game.
You have basically no choice with CP until way later.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The White Dragon posted:

For a SNES-era RPG, it's alright. While the job system is similar to FF5, you don't really get to do much experimentation because the game pretty much makes you level up in certain jobs or else you'll be getting your rear end kicked constantly by regular encounters. Like, you'll always want a dedicated White Mage and at least two physical fighters, as you'll usually be taking a ton of damage in each fight. In a way, despite being modeled off the SNES FF's, the game's encounters are set up like the NES FF's.

Also, the characters suck and the story seems like wasted potential. It's amazing how the characters don't give a poo poo about the early plot twist. Also, they have a lot of homages from the earlier FF's, to the point where I just finished a chapter that literally stole its entire plot from bits and pieces of FF1's plot. (In the scenario I just finished, you literally have to find a caravan to rescue a fairy in a bottle so you can breathe underwater and rescue mermaids). Then again, this is from The After Years guys, so that makes a lot of sense.

Controls are weird as hell to get used to, but eventually you won't really notice them. The default one, and the one I use, lets you swipe the screen to move your character, with a "control pad" staying on screen so you can move it up, down, etc. to correspond with your character. You simply "bump" into people and items to talk and interact. There's a couple other control schemes, but generally this is how you'll move your party. As for battle, you just touch what you want to do, though scrolling through commands can be a bit of a pain during the heat of battle. There are shortcuts to change targeting between the party and enemy, and to automatically select all. It's not too shabby, though it takes a bit of getting used to touch-screen controls in an ATB-style battle system.

As for whether I recommend it for $20, it really depends how much you want the old-school experience. There's still plenty of job customization and other stuff, but there's really not the leeway to experiment with jobs that FF5 gives you, plus you only start out with eight or so jobs, and unlock five or so more as you progress through the story, though there's two parties you switch between and each party gets five different story jobs.

It's not a bad game, but it wasn't what I was expecting. At the very least, it's a long game, and the time it takes to beat is worth the $20 if you like the gameplay.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Best Final Fantasy battle theme, post it now go go go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb-Lhkm93pI

Ya'll know it's true.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I own it and I can safely say its... eh. If you want what feels like a B team Square product circa 1995 this is definitely it. The jobs are more limited than FF5 as you get 8 core jobs and then each of your two parties have 5 unique jobs. This means of course, that the dark party is for every role except white mage strictly better. Additionally, the game's plot does nothing with the two party conceit and characters are woefully underdeveloped and the whole story is 4 almost meaningless vignettes that just sort of turns into an endgame.

The actual real bad part though is that your level and job levels are separate but you have a limited number of job levels you can spend before post game content. What this results in is that you'll experience frustration when you find out that certain classes are nigh on useless or that you should have stopped leveling the class long ago as you got the last useful stuff out of it. There are abilities called "f-abilities" which are unlocked by having certain moves equipped on the same character from two classes and using the associated moves. Do it enough times and you get the f-ability which afterwords is permanently equipped on that party member regardless of job.

If you have certain f-abilities (great wall, hastega, phantom rush) and the class skills dual-cast and dual wield the already easy difficulty gets pushed off the highrope and hit with a chair while the ref looks the other way.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

RentCavalier posted:

Ya'll know it's true.

Close but it's no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2vEakoOIdU

Also as embarrassing as pretty much everything about this video is, this cover is amazing (not embedding because one embedded video per post is enough).

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 24, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

RentCavalier posted:

Ya'll know it's true.

Close but still wrong. The best is clearly the Kefka portion of Dancing Mad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXVNKtmWnc&t=724s

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Also as embarrassing as pretty much everything about this video is, this cover is amazing (not embedding because one embedded video per post is enough).

Oh man that dude is badass at the guitar, but holy poo poo does he make some silly rear end videos and play some silly rear end music! That's a great cover definitely though.

My favorite soundtrack is still the FF6 one. Pretty much every track is very solid on it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

RentCavalier posted:

Ya'll know it's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGsywZNx_zY :colbert:

Of course, FFAE's remix of the FF3 boss music is pretty sweet too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGRm85dGajs

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
FF5's Decisive Battle has always been one of my favorites. Those drums.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Best battle theme? A tie between Blinded by Light and Desperate Struggle from FF13.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Awright, cool, thanks for the responses you guys. Well, maybe I'll flip a coin between immediately that or the next Dragonbreath book.

As far as battle themes, I've always liked Taste My Blade, but that might just be contextual novelty speaking. After hearing this version of Dancing Mad, well. But maybe that's cheating, if we're just talkin' vanilla tracks, FF4's regular boss theme is my favorite.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There's so many great battle themes across Normal Battles, Normal Boss Battles, Special Boss Battles and Final Boss battles that I honestly can't pick which is my favorite of all time. i can only pick which is my favorite at the moment.

As such I'm gonna go with this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WcS0oZj-v8

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For vanilla versions: Blinded by the Light.
For remakes, it's probably To Those Who Fight Further - TheBlackMages.

I've gotta say, apart of the 'big tracks', the soundtrack for FFX is pretty bland. Sure, To Zanarkand \ Suteki da Ne \ hymn of the fayth are awesome, but the general level seems to be somewhat lower.
May be that i heard again all the soundtracks from VI on in order, and next to IX anything may seem bland, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If we're counting remakes then Advent Children's One-Winged Angel clears house. That song was awesome enough to justify all the love OWA has gotten since FFVII came out (even though the original version wasn't that great IMO)
Oddly, I did not like their take on J-E-N-O-V-A.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Here, have the best One Winged Angel version done to date (it's different from the regular orchestrated version).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T7FlxbO50Y

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RentCavalier posted:

Ya'll know it's true.

Other than the ones that've already been said, I'm going to go with "Grand Finale?" from 6. I mean, just try to listen to that without having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-Sm4olqbM

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RentCavalier posted:

Ya'll know it's true.

Sorry man, have my sweet synth Euro beats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYHblHmoQKg

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can we divide this up? For normal battles Blinded by Light (I prefer the Dissidia version personally), for normal bosses the FF8 boss theme, for special boss theme Fight with Seymour, and for final boss theme Dancing Mad. And for theme that plays as the battle and field music while something important is happening, You Are Not Alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Every Final Fantasy battle theme is the best theme in the series. But the bestest best one is Esper Battle from Final Fantasy XII (maybe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COG3R3Km-Zk