Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
I vote Digital Devil Saga 1. Voiced game, beautiful cutscenes, intriguing story, and goddamn incredible music. It's also got the SMT difficulty. If you like that, proceed onto Nocturne and maybe Strange Journey if you have a DS. And don't forget to grab Persona 4 (but try to get the remake, Persona 4 Golden, that just came out for Vita, if you can. A metric ton of upgrades!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Yu/Souji (yeah still like the sound of the later name more) being an absolute dick/headcase to everyone would be magical.

Everyone locked into their silly options if their game had it would be the best thing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love P4 but wouldn't mind it if they took a break from it for a while.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Nate RFB posted:

I love P4 but wouldn't mind it if they took a break from it for a while.

They're doing Devil Survivor 2 now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Which is a shame since DeSu2's plot sucked. The only good things it brought were the FATE system and :allears: Jungo :allears:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Isn't the Persona series not even considered part of SMT? I know Atlus USA still adds the SMT tag to it, but the Japanese versions of the game don't carry the tag. I know they'll throw in a reference somewhere, but I doubt any Persona characters will show up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dehry posted:

Isn't the Persona series not even considered part of SMT? I know Atlus USA still adds the SMT tag to it, but the Japanese versions of the game don't carry the tag. I know they'll throw in a reference somewhere, but I doubt any Persona characters will show up.

The teaser trailer had a character that appears in Persona in it though.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Which is a shame since DeSu2's plot sucked. The only good things it brought were the FATE system and :allears: Jungo :allears:

I kinda liked DS2's plot. It combined the best parts of Evangelion with the best parts of SMT, and it generally managed to stay pretty interesting.

Though i guess if you didn't go for Yamato's route, the plot DID suck!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Dehry posted:

Persona 1 at the very least went under the Megami Ibunroku moniker, as do the Devil Survivor games. I think the megaten wikia says that shakes out to meaning 'alternate story of the goddess' which doesn't exactly work out fluidly in English. Similar to but different from gaiden, I guess.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dorroile posted:

I kinda liked DS2's plot. It combined the best parts of Evangelion with the best parts of SMT, and it generally managed to stay pretty interesting.

Though i guess if you didn't go for Yamato's route, the plot DID suck!

I disliked EVA so that's probably why I was less than thrilled with it :v:.
Never did Yamato's path though, Only Anguished One's.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I disliked EVA so that's probably why I was less than thrilled with it :v:.
Never did Yamato's path though, Only Anguished One's.

Ahaha, yeah, no wonder you didn't like the plot then. gently caress that dude, Yamato is the only one who even knows poo poo from gently caress.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

The teaser trailer had a character that appears in Persona in it though.

The Megaten wiki shows it as all SMT characters. The protagonist from the first game looks a lot like Tatsuya Suo from Persona 2.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dehry posted:

The Megaten wiki shows it as all SMT characters. The protagonist from the first game looks a lot like Tatsuya Suo from Persona 2.

No, I'm not talking about him. I'm talking about her.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TurnipFritter posted:

No, I'm not talking about him. I'm talking about her.

if... is considered to be a part of the main franchise like Strange Journey.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dorroile posted:

Ahaha, yeah, no wonder you didn't like the plot then. gently caress that dude, Yamato is the only one who even knows poo poo from gently caress.

I did like Yamato alot, maybe I should dust it off and give his path a go.

I guess I should have realized his path would have been the best considering Naoya's was the best in DeSu1 and they both look the same :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The protagonist had amazing silly dialogue options.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Artix74 posted:

if... is considered to be a part of the main franchise like Strange Journey.

And? Someone said they don't think any Persona characters will show up, and I pointed out that a character in the Persona series shows up in the teaser trailer.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TurnipFritter posted:

And? Someone said they don't think any Persona characters will show up, and I pointed out that a character in the Persona series shows up in the teaser trailer.

Yes, a minor character in the Persona series...or the protagonist of what is considered to be a part of the main series. Do tell, which way do think they're taking her role?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If... is the start of the timeline the Persona series is in, but it's not part of the series itself.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Artix74 posted:

Yes, a minor character in the Persona series...or the protagonist of what is considered to be a part of the main series. Do tell, which way do think they're taking her role?

Probably from the one where she actually has dialogue. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that she is a character in the Persona series and she is also a character appearing in this game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TurnipFritter posted:

Probably from the one where she actually has dialogue. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that she is a character in the Persona series and she is also a character appearing in this game.

Both of them then?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
This is bullshit, where's my Pokemon/Persona/Phantasy Star/Phoenix Wright/other game that begins with P crossover ATLUS :mad: :supaburn:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man I'm kind of annoyed with Strange Journey. I'm on the Law path, I just reached the final boss and it keeps kicking my rear end. My demons seem way too weak and I can't afford to buy any really good password demons. It just kinda sucks putting like 40 hours into a game and hitting a road block right at the end. I might just start a new game and take the Chaos path to see what I missed.

I had the same thing happen in Devil Survivor too. I took the Naoya path on my first playthrough and had to do a ton of grinding right at the very end to beat the final boss. I like these games a lot but I guess I'm not cut out for the amount of grinding they seem to expect. I picked up Nocturne a while back but I haven't played it yet, I'm hoping it's not too bad in that regard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In all three games grinding is less important than skill/demon selection. If you're having a lot of trouble you may want to reconsider what you have equipped.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

POWERFUL rear end SWEAT posted:

This is bullshit, where's my Pokemon/Persona/Phantasy Star/Phoenix Wright/other game that begins with P crossover ATLUS :mad: :supaburn:

I think a Pokémon X Persona game would work out fine, but there's no way they could get the rating under Teen/Pegi12 if they wanted to keep some semblance of the Persona characters intact.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

ImpAtom posted:

In all three games grinding is less important than skill/demon selection. If you're having a lot of trouble you may want to reconsider what you have equipped.

Buying hundreds of Bead Chains never hurts too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dehry posted:

I think a Pokémon X Persona game would work out fine, but there's no way they could get the rating under Teen/Pegi12 if they wanted to keep some semblance of the Persona characters intact.

Can't weirder then the Pokemon Conquest game from last year with the Samurai Legends characters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I just hope it plays better than Majin Tensei or Devil Survivor because I loving hated both of those.

..Majin Tensei 2 had a really impressive intro, considering it was a SFC game, though.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
It'd be nice if the Devil Survivor characters popped up, and Strange Journey too. Both were DS games, so they'd make more sense than the Sony-only characters. I almost guarantee we'll see a Demonica, and I'm hoping we maybe get a Digital Devil Saga sampling--those characters would fit in more with SMT characters than P4's crew.

Oh, and naturally there'll be an SMT4 cameo, to drum up interest, and a few bonus characters--maybe Philemon? We don't even know how the game will take form yet, so we have to wait and see. I'd be skeptical if you see any characters who haven't shown up on a Nintendo system before.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

I wager most of you have seen this but just in case :allears:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

nftyw posted:

We all know that Daisoujou would be using Samsara instead of a lowly Mahamaon though. :colbert:

Do you have a source on this or did you draw it yourself? It's quite nifty.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

nftyw posted:

I haven't seen it, so thanks for sharing. It's fantastic. :allears:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The more I think about this crossover game the happier I get, one series I'm super familiar with and have played all the games and my best friend is a huge fan of the other, should be awesome to see them clash like this.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Strange Quark posted:

It was posted in /v/, horrifying some of its residents. Game's still well in development and (hilarious) fanart already. Sometimes the Internet is good to the world.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

nftyw posted:

Holy poo poo I know the artist (I think). We were talking about the crossover today and I told her how when I was fighting Daisoujou the other day in Nocturne I got hit by Mahamaon right before I was going to kill him. We were wondering how the instant death spells would end up working.

:allears:

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 24, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

We all know that Daisoujou would be using Samsara instead of a lowly Mahamaon though. :colbert:

Searching around for a source on this led me to this tumblr.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm giving Persona 3 Portable a shot. Is Tartarus the only dungeon? I went 15 floors in, and it's bland as poo poo.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes. But it's divided into different blocks that at least get a sort of pallet-swap? V:shobon:V

Endorph posted:

Searching around for a source on this led me to this tumblr.

Just what I wanted, thanks.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yes, Tartarus is the only dungeon. Do yourself a favor and just run for the stairs at every floor until you meet the bosses, you're not missing anything by doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Momomo posted:

Yes, Tartarus is the only dungeon. Do yourself a favor and just run for the stairs at every floor until you meet the bosses, you're not missing anything by doing so.

Except the experience points necessary to fight the bosses. :confused: